Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2353772 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11475 on: November 26, 2014, 10:45:07 pm »

Competing "preparation bonus" suggestions, in reversed order of posting:
On dynamic bonuses, I'd prefer them to be the same as they are, but the player has to be specific on use. Prepare Con bonus by readying my rifle and looking for any targets on the horizon is fine. Imma charging my Exo bonus isn't. Imma charging my Exo bonus to heat an area/use against the Eater/prepare for incoming enemies from the north is (one of those three, not all). A bit of specifity to explain the action gives both a reason for the bonus, and explains what a character is doing.
Concerning dynamic bonus: I'll agree that they're overused, definitely, and I am of the opinion that they should be required to be more specific than they are now. I also had a thought that maybe with the new system they could modify your "level" up by one instead of the roll. This would make it still helpful, and roll back the power of the bonus a bit (with no modifiers as the new system would have, a currently-implemented Dynamic bonus would give you half fives. That's kinda nuts and crazy powerful). What do you guys think?
One thing we could do to make dynamic bonuses make more sense is force players to explain them. To give some context as to exactly what the fuck they're doing that gives them bonuses.  AND how about this: The dynamic bonuses are only available to people with +0 or lower in the stat they're trying to use. We'll assume that if you're at +1, you've already got the knowledge and skill and that any amount of prep won't significantly increase that.

This would let +0 newbies get the benifit of prep without causing every turn to be high end players punctuating a turn with "And charge a bonus".
  • Allow preparation, which comes with a straight (non-dynamic) bonus to the skill/attribute (not roll); the size of bonus depends on specifics of the action itself - so creative ways of preparing would be awarded, and boring/not-so-useful restricted.
  • Preparation takes in-game time; if there is reasonably enough time on hand, preparation could be done in the same turn as action - and, on the other hand, if there is no fair way to prepare in that amount of time, no preparation bonus for you.
  • Preparation is an in-game action, not game mechanics abstraction, so no arbitrary restrictions can be applied - though the size of preparation bonus may decrease (possibly to the point of non-existance) if an unreasonable amount of simultaneous actions are taken.
My point was that in the proposed system, it can be easily replaced by a more active choice that doesn't cause players to waste time just so they can insure themselves against failure. They can choose to shoot the thing, and have that simple action be (relatively) safe. Or they could push it, go for broke, and risk greater penalties for failure. This is a much more interesting choice to make, rather than choosing whether or not to do nothing. Similarly, they could choose to perform an action carefully, as a modifier on the difficulty of the action. This could decrease progress rate and the side effects of a crit fail or overshoot. All of this choice in preparation, without having to spend a turn doing nothing. When your player is voluntarily doing nothing for any reason, there is a problem. Games live and die on action, so giving a bonus for inaction is a very bad idea.

All in all, (my own suggestion aside) I like Hapah's idea, I can certainly live and learn to play according to Kriellya's one.
Piecewise's has merit of restricting preparation bonus (in form of near-OP dynamic bonus) to unskilled users (where it a)cannot do much harm; b)reintroduces the interesting idea that completely untrained people cannot achieve overshots - earlier it was done by straight -1 penalty of 0 skill).
Unfortunately, apart from the lauded specificness of preparation, I cannot fully support Sambojin's idea because it is still the dreaded dynamic bonus at the cost of sacrificed turn.

Your thoughts, people?

((Edit: Fixed a little formatting error.))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:00:55 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: November 26, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »

I personally prefer Kiellya's suggestion as it allows for a more varied and interesting ranges of options and doesn't force people to go inactive for a turn. Anything that still allows for mechanically meaningful preparation for a specific subsequent action, I can live with.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: November 26, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »

Yeah. Flexibility with cost/benefit is nice, inactivity isn't. Maybe if you were pretty damn specific about what you'll be doing next turn, you could do the full range of things this turn, with negatives this turn, dynamic bonuses next.

It's an unfortunate fact in ER that doing nothing is often the safest option, and doing nothing with a dynamic bonus attached to it is better still. I'm up for anything that works really.

If pw re-writes the whole system of ER, I don't really know how it'll affect a low-level generalist like Sambo, but I tend to think it won't at all. Same with dynamic bonuses. I tend not to use them much, because my character is a semi-active one. So whatever gets put in place is cool by me, as long as it's not stagnant or necessary for fluid, active play.
It's a game. Have fun.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: November 26, 2014, 11:23:16 pm »

I would like to see an example of Kriellya's.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: November 26, 2014, 11:39:11 pm »

Same. If it's too fiddly, it's probably no good for an RTD. If it's simple, it's fine.

I actually don't mind my "specify why you're getting a bonus" system, because it makes it less likely for people to charge them. Lack of flexibility means it's better to act than it is to charge a bonus constantly while doing nothing. A specific bonus at that. PW runs all kinds of modifiers and non-rolls for simple stuff anyway, so Jim will never nuke the ship while heating his coffee up (unless there's contributing factors to why that would happen).

In slow-time sections, charge away. Get help. Prepare with tools. Do tests. Whatever. Get your modifiers however you can, dynamic or not. In quick-time sections, I think people should live or die by their characters stats and their rolls. Or more importantly, their actions with their character. If not, if you're particularly worried about the outcome, waste a turn for something relatively specific, the more specific, the less likely you are to fail or overshoot it. Otherwise, act and see what happens. Hope for the best. The situation may have changed by next turn, so your specific dynamic bonus might have been worthless, so it's lucky you acted instead.

I'd be all for dynamic bonuses being removed entirely, but it's a nice system, just kind of too open to doing nothing right now. A nicely written action of dynamic bonus charging isn't doing nothing, it can be hilarious, whether your character really does anything that turn or not. But right now, it's pretty boring and general. Safety in large general terms sucks to read, and makes for a boring RTD.

If you're particularly attached to your character in ER, even after plenty of missions, you're playing the wrong RTD.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:57:47 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: November 26, 2014, 11:54:48 pm »

LIES!!

My character shall become glorius space alchemist and live forever, by avoiding space wizards.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: November 27, 2014, 12:27:20 am »

I would like to see an example of Kriellya's.
Same.

Here is my interpretation of it - actions intrinsically set risk level. In this scenario, a enemy is charging at someone with a certain amount of CON. They can try and wound the person in a manner that slows them down and makes it hard for them to fight with a carefully aimed shot, open fire and aim to damage them enough that they get mortally wounded, or try and stop them outright by slicing at them. There are more options of course (such as suppressive fire), but these are the ones I'll use for the example.

The aimed shot is the safest option as it conserves battery and helps prevent self-harm, but it has the lowest possible returns. The burst fire is the balanced option as it regulates battery use and possibly inflicts mortal wounds but the enemy may still be able to reach them and attack before succumbing to them. The slice is the risky option as it uses more battery, has a higher risk of self-harm/friendly-fire but can stop the hostile dead in their tracks.

Safe (aimed shot)Regular (laser burst)Risky (slice)
1Aims poorly, misses.Aims poorly, burns hole in self.Aims poorly, slices off own limb.
2Aims poorly, doesn't fire.Aims poorly, misses shot.Aims poorly, misses slice.
3Aimed shot slows down enemy slightly.Fires, causing minor damage.Slices, causing negligible damage from graze.
4Aimed shot slows down the enemy.Fires, causing wounds to the enemy.Slices the enemy's leg off.
5Aimed shot slows down enemy and impairs combat.Fires, mortally wounding enemy.Slices head, stops enemy dead.
6Aimed shots slow down enemy and impairs combat inefficiently.Fires, emptying clip and mortally wounds enemy.Decapitates enemy, slicing through allies in the way.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: November 27, 2014, 02:23:02 am »

First thing, nice chart, it looks amazing.

The biggest issue that I see at the moment with this setup is that with the new system, it would create so much extra work for the big boss. The concept is okay, but I don't know that it will work mechanically.

You could probably get it to work okay in the current system (because my 2+2 is the same outcome as your 3+1 is the same as his 4+0), but in the new system it'd mean that you need 18 or potentially more outcomes per skill level per action (since my CON 2 isn't your CON 1 isn't his CON 0). There would be some overlap (like in the table, where a 2 is a miss in all cases), but it's not trivial by any stretch. And there are quite likely some actions where it may be difficult, if not impossible, to make that many meaningful variations.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: November 27, 2014, 03:12:42 am »

I was thinking of making a table of skill levels that'd help with this sort of thing, but I think ultimately it's the GM's decision. Some basic labels can help decide how badly a character is likely to botch a given action.

I.e.
  • Skill <=-15 - Atrocious. Character is actively hindering own chances of success through borderline suicidal stupidity.
  • Skill -14<=0 - Clueless. Character doesn't have the slightest hint of an idea what he is doing, or even why.
  • Skill 1<=15 - Inexperienced. Character has minimal knowledge of what he's doing, but is still prone to making rookie mistakes.
  • Skill 16<=30 - Competent. Character is skilled enough not to make rookie mistakes when doing simple things, but still not so much that he doesn't make errors and miscalculations from time to time.
  • Skill 31<=45 - Proficient. Character does simple tasks with ease, and is unlikely to significantly mess up even with relatively hard tasks.
  • Skill 46<=60 - Expert. Character easily does most anything that can be done with the skill in question.
In every case, every 5 points towards the next level introduces the same 1/3 chance of having the skill level be counted as a level higher. An Expert level is hard to reach, but reaching it means that even critical failure won't result in anything destructive if you're not doing something extraordinarily difficult.

Stats should probably work differently than skills though. They're a weird mix of actual capacity and measure of control, so some extra though needs to be put into that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: November 27, 2014, 03:17:00 am »

Emp's chart looks like a fair example.

Part of the idea is that PW shouldn't *make* this chart, at least in my opinion. We've had people say they don't want the system to be at the whims of the DM, but personally a) the entire existence of the game is at the whim of the DM and b) I generally trust PW with uncertainty. He's generally fair, and generally interesting. Assuming he's not in a hurry. It's also up to him what he does, and I doubt he'd want to make a precise chart either.

The charts are just a good way of visualizing and presenting examples. In practice, players would post some action, which will be some composite of modifiers on a basic action. ('carefully aim at the man riding the elephant', 'remove this man's spleen', 'Slam this army into the ground with my grav amp', etc) Our DM would take this and the player bonus, make a roll if necessary, and then come up with a textual result. I don't think this is significantly more than what he does now, though he's yet to comment on that. :P

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »

Hoooo, boy.  I stop reading ER for a day, and so much stuff comes up.

Okay.  From where I left off-ish.  Quotes are spoilered because people already read them, and this post is too damn long.

The first part of this, making people specify what they're doing, I like.  That's a good system that would work cleanly and without hassle, but it's also the original system we had.  If it's actually held to, it's good, but I don't see any reason we wouldn't fall to the same old pitfall of "Ehh, close enough".

I really dislike the second part.  It means that in some some cases, an untrained and unskilled guy is a better choice to do something, because he can't fuck it up really bad if he's allowed to prepare. 

This is a bad idea.  For one, it makes no sense.  Robobodies, and especially synthflesh, should to some extent be better than human flesh simply because they were designed to be.  Robobodies are actually under-designed to match a human body, so they have some excuse, but synthflesh is basically supposed to just be "Better in every way".  That's practically the entire point of the stuff, aside from allowing mecha to work.

For two, it is extremely abusable.  You can stick a zero in every physical stat, and immediately get a robobody, and then you're superior to most other newbies.  It also means that any player sticking points in STR or END (already fairly devalued stats) is taking a massive risk, because they will outright lose those points if they ever get botted.  It would probably result in more OP robots.

I dislike this as well.  It means that everyone can always just take three safely, which would prevent anything bad from happening if everyone is suitably cautious.  The only times people wouldn't take three are when there's something important going down, and they need a four or five... which is still probably foolish, because you'd have a 50% chance of messing up worse, and only a 33% chance of doing better.

I also easily see it devolving into people getting mad at each other for not taking three in some situation, and therefore risking a one or some other catastrophe.

Honestly, speaking from experience, knowing how to use your strength is easily just as important as actually being strong.  It makes just as much sense as with dex.  I'd say the same for charisma- knowing how to carry yourself, when and how to smile, laugh, frown, etc. is much more important than just being naturally pretty.  You're correct for endurance though, unless somebody here is a monk who can control their vascular system through concentration or something.

Anyway, I agree with the losing stats when you temp die on missions.  That makes sense, and gives a good penalty.

As to the cost of robobodies, that makes sense.  There'd probably end up people with negative tokens, either because they couldn't sell their starting equipement back for full price, or because it was used up.  I'd suggest they just get five tokens deducted from their next mission pay, since that's the baseline cost.

Well, I'm pretty sure robobodies have "organs" in the way you mean.  Remember how Stacy got completely paralysed in M15 after he fell? 

In any case, it wouldn't solve the problem.  Robobodies, after all, are in-universe built to be much tougher than human bodies, and they simply won't have some flaws. If they get their head blown off, it isn't as bad, because their brain is in their torso.  If they get their legs chopped off, they aren't going to bleed to death, because they don't have blood (and if they did, it would be stupid not to put in some little valves).

Maybe we could have the current robobodies cost five tokens, and an older model/highly damaged hand-me-down can be given to corpses that can't afford that?

While this does make sense, the genemods aren't going to offset robot bodies.  After all, synthflesh is basically "Just better" than humanflesh, plus the fact that it doesn't reject metal "additions" to it's body like humanflesh.  The only statistical advantage humanflesh has is that it's (sometimes) cheaper to work with, and that it can regenerate using cheap food.

Humanflesh also has the advantage that it's needed for blops missions, but that's a small minority of people.  Plus, I think Charles is working on a fat xanflesh/robobody hybrid that would theoretically allow a robot to join a blops mission.

You're right, almost.  Specifically, you're not allowed to take ten if you're threatened or distracted.  So, not in combat, and not if you're in pain, or if the bard can't stop singing that stupid goddamn song about climbing ropes in an effort to help you.  I've also seen it interpreted that you can't take ten if something very dangerous would happen if you fail, like jumping over a deep pit with spikes.

...I should really get back into playing D&D.

Overall, I like Sambo's idea best, as long as it isn't taken to the extreme with all the specific stuff he listed.  My priority for a system is something that would actually work, and not be forgotten/broken like last time.

The problem I have with the other systems is either A:It doesn't allow for adjustment of the roll, meaning you can never ever get around the chance of rolling a one or six regardless of what you do, and B:They have too much complexity which would probably be forgotten and ignored in a month.  Take Kriellya's idea for example- PW has to judge what level of risk the person wanted, for each and every action, and write the result based on that.  And remember to keep it fair as compared to other risk levels with a similar roll (I.E. not fixing the problem if they went with low-risk, but got a five).  For every turn, in every thread, every day.

Honestly, if we weren't even capable of keeping with the "Specify what you're doing to charge a bonus" system, why are we considering something that's way more complicated than that?  Sure, it's cool, but it's just gonna crash and burn.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: November 27, 2014, 08:05:06 pm »

This is a bad idea.  For one, it makes no sense.  Robobodies, and especially synthflesh, should to some extent be better than human flesh simply because they were designed to be.  Robobodies are actually under-designed to match a human body, so they have some excuse, but synthflesh is basically supposed to just be "Better in every way".  That's practically the entire point of the stuff, aside from allowing mecha to work.

For two, it is extremely abusable.  You can stick a zero in every physical stat, and immediately get a robobody, and then you're superior to most other newbies.  It also means that any player sticking points in STR or END (already fairly devalued stats) is taking a massive risk, because they will outright lose those points if they ever get botted.  It would probably result in more OP robots.

OK. Point 1: explain to me how paying for a total of +9 (+3 in STR, DEX, & END) is not 'better' than the average human. Even by minmaxing at start, you would need several missions focusing on just one stat to get that +3 in one stat. I don't think Jim even has +3 in Willpower yet because stats go by 15s (iirc) and he only has 40 Willpower. So, yeah. On average, synthflesh would just be 'better in every way' unless someone was really, really dedicated to one stat. Even capping robo-bodies at +5 total to physical stats leaves them better than the average person by a considerable amount. Even for allowing humans to become better than synthflesh by uncapping their physical stats, it would still take a long time for it to happen.

Point 2: Notice I never said the standard robobody gets to distribute those pluses immediately. :P I said 'upgrades'. I meant buying stuff to upgrade the basic model. It's really no different from being allowed only three brain slots.

I still think those would be fairly balanced. Synthflesh can't be modified except for looks (Jim's extra arms are really just fluff when you get down to it; I don't think they give a second bonus to Con and such) but are great out of the box, robo-bodies are tougher than normal bodies and can purchase a set amount of upgrades for stat bonuses, and pure humans get to have fun with the pill machine and whatever other crazy gene mods they can get. Kisame's floating-flesh-ship-tank-thing, for example.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:07:31 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: November 27, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »

Wait, you meant +3 as in rolls?
Ooooooooooh that makes much more sense. I thought you meant they'd only get +3 as in stat points.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: November 27, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »

Point 1: I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.  I thought you meant "three +1/3", because that's the actual amount synthbodies get.  Honestly, I don't think tripling the bonus sythbodies give would do anything positive for the game, except maybe make fights more badass because Miyamoto could punch a moon in half.  Anyway, you said an advantage a human could obtain that would discourage getting a synthbody is that they could train until they were more powerful than one.  Simply put, synthbodies can climb sheer stone walls by digging their bare fingers into the rock.  No human should ever be capable of that.

Also, synthbodies have way more customization options than human bodies.  I'm pretty sure it was you who went looking through VR for dog bodies, and found a whole bunch?  Three which were specialized for close combat and tracking?  With human body mods, you either have to go with hilariously overprices gene treatments (See: Bishop, who's spent enough on gene treatments that he could have bought an Avatar, but is currently only slightly superior to a robobody) or risking your body on Doctor Roulette.  The pill machine is basically scientific suicide right now.

Point 2:Either you're saying robobodies should start with a -1 to every physical stat, or my point about robobodies effectively giving free stat points stands strong.

My point about people not spending points on physical stats because they would risk losing it all if they ever got botted stands.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: November 27, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »

Point 1: Yes, I was that person. OTOH I was talking about the standard synthflesh model offered in the armory. No one else has seemed too interested in the specialized versions and they should be treated as different things - for example, maybe one would offer +4 DEX, +4 STR, and +1 END because it's built for stealth and melee, not tanking. Still a high total bonus, but not 'standard'. That sort of thing. And again note when I say +# I mean total. Anyway, you're probably right on not tripling their bonuses (at least not without making them and AoWs much more expensive, maybe) but I was trying to think of a way to make them superior and with Piecewise's idea of the bonuses being skill levels instead of straight bonuses to rolls, it seemed good at the time.

Point 2: Uh... no? Where did I say they should start at -1? They would start at a standard (no bonuses nor maluses) and then you could buy something with your tokens like, I dunno, advanced servos for upping STR to an effective 15. Then if you wanted to just be a STR-only bot you could buy upgrades until your STR effectively counted as 75 (+5), but your DEX and END would still stay at 3 (I think 3 is the neither bonus nor malus range for stats, like 1 is for skills) and you couldn't upgrade your physical stats anymore.

Point 3: True, but couldn't they just be given the option to get a vat-grown duplicate body instead? We have Hephaestus and can make flesh sods. Duplicating a person isn't out of the question, I'd think.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 2205