Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356040 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #20160 on: July 14, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »

I wonder where they even found the Friable Wishes, actually. Must have been a fun mission.
Nyartifact, I think?
He means that all nyartifacts come from somewhere, and a sizeable portion is just mission artifacts no one could properly figure out.
So yeah, a very fun mission it must have been. Anomaly sprouting in a candy factory, maybe?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: July 14, 2015, 04:54:13 pm »

Nyartifact, I think?

All Nyartifacts are stuff the research department threw out (probably because they might be literally overflowing with alien artifacts they can't make heads or tails of) - that stuff, then, was presumably taken on a past mission. What I meant was where they'd come from originally.

Truth be told, I don't see anybody buying a Friable Wish if they didn't intend to steal people's bodies and add them to their own. Buying one of those with willing participation of everyone would be like alien-flavored Russian roulette, and say what you will, but people generally aren't stupid enough to do that kind of thing willingly.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: July 14, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »

Nyartifact, I think?

All Nyartifacts are stuff the research department threw out (probably because they might be literally overflowing with alien artifacts they can't make heads or tails of) - that stuff, then, was presumably taken on a past mission. What I meant was where they'd come from originally.

Truth be told, I don't see anybody buying a Friable Wish if they didn't intend to steal people's bodies and add them to their own. Buying one of those with willing participation of everyone would be like alien-flavored Russian roulette, and say what you will, but people generally aren't stupid enough to do that kind of thing willingly.
isn't there a whole reward for that called the Darwin awards?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: July 14, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »

Well, it'd be nice maybe to have the option be there, at least?

Also, we have sods on board. Delicious physically perfect sods.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »

I wonder where they even found the Friable Wishes, actually. Must have been a fun mission.
BY all means I could've just gave them the schizophrenia pills that the friable wishes was switched out for, hint hint, hint hint!

I hate to break it to you, but I'm fairly certain those pills never existed. Unless you got them from the armory and I just missed it. Remember, new players exit stasis naked, without any keepsakes on their person.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:23 pm »

BY all means I could've just gave them the schizophrenia pills that the friable wishes was switched out for, hint hint, hint hint!

I hate to break it to you, but I'm fairly certain those pills never existed. Unless you got them from the armory and I just missed it. Remember, new players exit stasis naked, without any keepsakes on their person.
I picked them up after my character got decapitated for holding Dexter hostage that's what was switched for the friable wish candies.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: July 14, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

Maybe Henk never had any pills and was just hallucinating about them.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20167 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:28 pm »

I just understood. Remember that Pacific Rim game Piecewise wanted to make a while ago? The Gestalt is a prototype run of it!
You have physical stats and equipment of the Jaeger body, and then a few minds control it. Now, originally in the setting there was the concept of all pilots working in perfect unison, but that would be quite hard to simulate with a forum game. Instead, it could be implied when all the minds agree and let one do the action - i.e. exactly what is being tested with the various minds having to agree and let a single one take the action relevant to their best skills!

It is all proceeding as planned! Piecewise had it all planned for a long time! A new squad of ninja assassins is coming for my life!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »

Maybe Henk never had any pills and was just hallucinating about them.
I made an...what ever...the rest of this post will be made by me typing with my face  hhnmhjkjuhuygtffgthnjmknhjm
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: July 14, 2015, 07:45:20 pm »

I think that Physical Stats and Mental stats (i.e. skills) could better be described as Natural stats and trained stats. Natural stats are those stats that are integrated into one's being, via muscle and chemistry and inherent brain wiring, and are unique to the individual. Trained stats are skills developed through mental effort, rewriting the adaptable, information oriented parts of the brain. These skills can be learned repeatedly by anyone, whereas something such as charisma can be learned in only one way by any given person, due to various inherent attributes such as size, gender, looks, speech irregularities, biochemistry. Thus, fate is an obviously natural stat, as each person's fate is unique to themselves, whereas, exotic weapon skill can be brute force hammered into any old inmate, general knowledge takes just a bit of schooling, conventional takes training, and so forth.

This could open the way for natural stats to be broken back into their constituent parts: physical, mental, and Other (personal, psychic, whatever)

Or they could be called stats and skills instead. A novell idea, and one that would take some getting used to, but be openminded and give this new concept a little thought before you reject it out of hand.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:50 pm »

Hey can I at least have a video of the best and worst results from testing the friable wish?
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »

I think that Physical Stats and Mental stats (i.e. skills) could better be described as Natural stats and trained stats. Natural stats are those stats that are integrated into one's being, via muscle and chemistry and inherent brain wiring, and are unique to the individual. Trained stats are skills developed through mental effort, rewriting the adaptable, information oriented parts of the brain. These skills can be learned repeatedly by anyone, whereas something such as charisma can be learned in only one way by any given person, due to various inherent attributes such as size, gender, looks, speech irregularities, biochemistry. Thus, fate is an obviously natural stat, as each person's fate is unique to themselves, whereas, exotic weapon skill can be brute force hammered into any old inmate, general knowledge takes just a bit of schooling, conventional takes training, and so forth.

This could open the way for natural stats to be broken back into their constituent parts: physical, mental, and Other (personal, psychic, whatever)

Or they could be called stats and skills instead. A novell idea, and one that would take some getting used to, but be openminded and give this new concept a little thought before you reject it out of hand.
I like this explanation. Really do.
Past Sigs

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:14 pm »

I like this explanation. Really do.
(Confession time. I stole that "stats and skills" idea from the wiki.)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: July 14, 2015, 08:17:54 pm »

Why.?! No! How can I live with that now...  :'(

... Did it say 'natural stats' and 'trained stats' on wiki? Because that's the part I liked. It summed up for me the difference I was implicitly trying to make between them, grouping the 'natural stats' with the body (not just in physical sense; as you pointed out, complete with flesh and mind and any intangible 'psychical'/'other' parts of "being human"-gestalt) rather than personality.

That is, the Gestalt (aka whatever-funny-name-they-pick-entity) is probably a single being now, in body, in mind, in social graces and in ultimate fate. It's just having a really bad case of split personality (yeah, I know that it probably doesn't work that way in real life, but let's suspend that for a moment) with their own lives, memories and training. However weird it is to us OOC observers, that is a single person with many voices in head. Even if the voices (and everyone else) remember themselves being distinct people at some point in time. They are not anymore.

See? This is why I love discussions like these!  :P
Past Sigs

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20174 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:11 pm »

Natural and trained were mine :P

It does raise the interesting question: what defines a "person"? For instance, I read a magazine article a while back about these twin girls who shared a body from the hips downward. where does one person end and another begin. For nearly everyone, this question is meaningless, but at the edges of humanity, they crop up.

For you history / Christian religion fans, this was the major question for two of the church's hugest conversations for over three centuries. It was central in understanding the dual nature of the Christ, and in understanding (as well as humans can) the Trinity. It also actors into the very nature of what it means to be a Christian (what with the Holy Spirit somehow inhabiting human followers of Christ and all), but that's a natural outgrowth of the other two, and has somehow been less prominently argued.
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 2205