Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319934 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22935 on: October 05, 2015, 05:39:29 pm »

I say we go to heph already.

my only remaining preparations require heph.

Wait, wasn't Auron banned from hep due to a certain blowup with Simus that resulted in an explosion?
We'll enforce that just as soon as Simus shows up to complain.
simus doesnt know im synthflesh now.

ill just say im someone else then shank her if she doesnt believe me.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22936 on: October 05, 2015, 06:14:14 pm »

Wait, Auron is being sent to Hephaestus? Against the explicit standing orders of Hephaestus Administrator Simus (well, officially they are still in power, as is she, even if indisposed)?
It's not about looking differently, or whatever. It's about the official records - it's about paperwork and bureaucracy. They are sacred.

Now, who is responsible for making this decision? I want to know because there will be repercussions. Hephaestus Administrate is not to be trifled with.
Unless Steve decided, of course. Then we are all powerless and slavish. Hi, Leo! :P

(To be honest, I don't have anything against Auron. I'd even let him come to Hephaestus and work - under supervision of ARESTEVE, like everyone else - if it were just about me. The big problem is that the way it currently is it is a political incident, and internal politics is serious business. )
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22937 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »

I file for simus being incompetant or medically unfit for command and hereby revoke her authority so that I may get myself gloriously maimed by mystical beings of unfathomable power.

bureaucracy complete.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22938 on: October 05, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »

I file for simus being incompetant or medically unfit for command and hereby revoke her authority so that I may get myself gloriously maimed by mystical beings of unfathomable power.

bureaucracy complete.

Shhh! I need a political incident! You'll get there either way, but I need leverage.
RPing is so much more Fun since we've moved on to ARM organisation.  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22939 on: October 05, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »

@thebiggerfish: thermodynamic beta, which temperature is the reciprocal of, represents the derivative of entropy per energy. Or maybe the other way around. I'll edit a better explanation in when I don't have a boiling pot on the stove.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22940 on: October 05, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »

I think I get it.  Maybe.  It's measuring how much entropy per degree?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22941 on: October 05, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »

Kinda, but not quite. I now have the time to give a proper explanation, though:

Thermodynamic Beta is a measurement of a system, proportional to dS/dE. Conceptually, it tells you how much entropy a system will change by when you add/remove a bit of energy. The best way to understand this is to go back to the basic definition of entropy (handwaving a bit here), where it is defined more-or-less as the number of different possible states a system can inhabit. It's all probabalistic and statistical, frex, a system of 4 coins has a certain number of states (16, assuming the coins are different).

As long as a system can have infinite energy, Beta is always positive, because a system at higher total energy has more possible states it can inhabit. However, in some systems, there is an upper limit to how many possible states there are. For example, taking that coin example, let's say we start with tails, and assume it takes a certain amount of energy to turn a tail into a heads, and that energy is returned when the head turns back to a tail. Say we have 1 unit of energy. Then there are 4 possible states, since that 1 unit of energy can make 1 of 4 coins a heads. 2 units of energy means 6 states. Now, however, when we go further up in energy, we notice something strange: 3 energy leaves us with only 4 possible states, ie, adding energy decreases entropy, and 4 energy leaves us with only 1 state, all heads. For any other system where all objects within have a finite number of energy states, the same thing happens, eventually you add enough energy and you decrease the number of possible states.

Then, given the definition of Beta, and consequently the definition of temperature as the reciprocal of beta, you can get negative temperatures in some strange cases.

Root hypothesized that the thermophages may be operating within such a strange system, which might, given the limitations of what he knows when true space magic exists, mean they have a way to neutralize the threat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22942 on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »

Weird.  But it makes sense.  I think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22943 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:11 pm »

((Yeah.  But a bit of a predictive "Will this kill me" is really what I'm  aiming for.  Any actual Tinkering is downright stupid in mission.))
((Also, what the string theory is a negative beta state?))
Isn't that called the mind and intuition (and possibly general knowledge) stats? And the common sense Meta-stat?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22944 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:17 pm »

((Yeah.  But a bit of a predictive "Will this kill me" is really what I'm  aiming for.  Any actual Tinkering is downright stupid in mission.))
((Also, what the string theory is a negative beta state?))
Isn't that called the mind and intuition (and possibly general knowledge) stats?
It's called "putting that test in a computer in exchange for a time penalty."
But seriously, a scanny thing and a plug in to the Tinker codebase  would provide some useful support tools.
Sigtext

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22945 on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:03 pm »

Probably terrible idea: we have spikes that devour heat. The thermophage needs to eat heat to survive. Why can't we surround it with coldspikes, surround them with something cold and sturdy, and bury that under rubble?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22946 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:42 pm »

because then we cant science it.

what we should do is attach some coldspikes to a large swathe of MK suit fabric and just wrap the thing up and ship it off to the apocalypse/doomsday labs.

Nunzillor

« Reply #22947 on: October 05, 2015, 10:26:40 pm »

I'm a little worried about the mission starting without a concrete plan, but then again I don't have any suggestions so...

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22948 on: October 05, 2015, 10:54:11 pm »

C'mon, all you're doing is charging into an extremely dangerous situation with little knowledge and no plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Nunzillor

« Reply #22949 on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:54 pm »

No plan, no field commanders, and an untested artifact being brought along.  Definitely sounds like a good time.
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 2205