Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1729 1730 [1731] 1732 1733 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2320091 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25950 on: December 26, 2015, 10:04:20 pm »

I agree that things arent quite as deadly as they would seem to be sometimes. But I think it might also have to do with the level up\token system weve got going. I mean, it takes a long ass time and a lot of investement to get your character out of newbie/meatshield territory, to just lose it all and have to start over would be a pain in the ass. And with that comes unhappy players and ooc drama.

@syv dont get me started on the nukestation. That was such bullshit I still get salty thinking about it. The only reason we failed was because both mssion were going too well and the universe needed some more danger for us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #25951 on: December 26, 2015, 10:08:34 pm »

Eh, in the end PW just doesn't like killing players, which doesn't quite fit with the aesthetics of the game, but isn't really that bad of a thing in itself.
Also Dev, you're now officially not playing the game, and therefore complaining about other people's fun. So make a new char already, you dummy. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25952 on: December 26, 2015, 10:10:28 pm »

Actually, have we ever had any established player get salty after their character's permadeath?  It sucks, yeah, but I think the majority of our players are mature enough to deal with it.

And yeah, I'll agree with you that the nukedoor was random and stupid.  People should die due to poor decisions, not arbitrary choices.  Still, it's the best example we have of PW refraining from killing people out of the kindness of his heart.

Egan, Dev's always complained about other people's fun.  It's sort of his schtick, along with being a game hipster.  Makes him fun to argue with, though!  He's nearly as good as GWG for that.

Nunzillor

« Reply #25953 on: December 26, 2015, 10:38:12 pm »

I think the players would become dissatisfied if their characters died more frequently or if their failures had greater impacts, whether they complained about it or not.  With that being said, however, increased player death and greater consequences for player failure could make for a more interesting story, I think, that is more in line with the lore and tone of the game. 

Just not as great of a game, perhaps.  So I agree somewhat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25954 on: December 26, 2015, 11:18:10 pm »

I don't agree with Dev, though.  Sure, you might be right, but it doesn't matter if everyone disagrees with you.  If everybody thinks there's danger, it doesn't matter if there is none.

So where does that leave the person who disagrees, then?  ;-)

I've said stuff about the other things before, green storm et al.

It's been two years so my opinions yes/no have changed over time.  Sometimes I had some hope that something would happen in the future for various reasons.  And sometimes the 'yes kill me' options were 'I've found an way to use you as a weaponized bodypuppet, so I can make you do the stuff you never wanted to do in the first place', and no was 'please just kill me instead.'

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25955 on: December 27, 2015, 01:38:17 am »

I agree that things arent quite as deadly as they would seem to be sometimes. But I think it might also have to do with the level up\token system weve got going. I mean, it takes a long ass time and a lot of investement to get your character out of newbie/meatshield territory, to just lose it all and have to start over would be a pain in the ass. And with that comes unhappy players and ooc drama.

@syv dont get me started on the nukestation. That was such bullshit I still get salty thinking about it. The only reason we failed was because both mssion were going too well and the universe needed some more danger for us.
PW did give you a lot of warning for that stuff, though.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25956 on: December 27, 2015, 02:01:42 am »

Green storm was supposed to have really bad consequences for everyone involved, but then pw forgot to enact those effects they all rolled reallllly well to resist bad effects. Better (worse?) luck next time.

The nukedoor was very silly indeed. Sure, they got 'warning', but at the time it seems people thought something mind-screwy was behind it due to the extend it affected them. And as I tried to explain later, the switch to the nuke door being there didn't really make any sense, except from an ooc viewpoint (aka the one viewpoint the characters shouldn't be considering).

And just after Dev and me made an agreement to have him killed after Miya could get to Hep. Welp, that's one thing done with.

Eh, saves me reminding you.  And saves a couple more months.  Thank you for agreeing to do so.

Still though, two years.  Want pallets of free stuff, just ask for it.  Want to get killed?  Two years, waive your PC protection, and beg for it most of the time.

As for the slash-fic, go for it.  I eagerly await seeing Leng's head explode.

No problem, even though it was too little too late.

And that last part sounds like some very exotic innuendo (cue tilde).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25957 on: December 27, 2015, 03:35:05 am »

People need to quit bitching about the haebi ship incident.
Piecewise gave a very plausible, and logical, reason as to why the nuke trigger should have been there.

Also they deserved it.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #25958 on: December 27, 2015, 03:40:07 am »

-Omega Legion plot so far-

Thank you. That was helpful.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25959 on: December 27, 2015, 10:16:30 am »

I don't know about lethality. I'm not going to comment on individual things, but I think we've got enough death overall. I count almost one dead character for every active character. I'd say that's good enough lethality for me. Enough to keep me scared about my character's life, anyway.

I think that while a game like the one piecewise originally planned where the world would be so deadly people would never get 10 missions would also be fun, but the game he has made right now is much more enjoyable, at least for me. It's the kind of game I like. It allows investing in a character and getting to know them enough to care about them, while the possibility of death still maintains some fear.

Having permadeath be very common might actually end up lessening its impact, since people would expect it and get less invested in their characters. Not to mention that the game would be less fun since you would have to think seriously about everything when on mission, instead of doing silly stuff. There would be much more drama between people taking things seriously and people who are here to just have some fun. Or maybe nobody would take the game seriously. I don't know, I haven't got some sort of magic crystal ball to look into alternate realities. That's just how I feel things would be. Brest way to find out is to run a super lethal RTD that's also got someone with piecewise's level of skill and dedication writing it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25960 on: December 27, 2015, 10:55:01 am »

If I remember right, the actual ratio is about one dead character for every nine living ones.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25961 on: December 27, 2015, 10:56:31 am »

The vast majority of those characters were on their first or second missions. There is almost no risk for veteran characters.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25962 on: December 27, 2015, 10:57:50 am »

If I remember right, the actual ratio is about one dead character for every nine living ones.
My post contained no lies.

The vast majority of those characters were on their first or second missions. There is almost no risk for veteran characters.
That is your opinion.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25963 on: December 27, 2015, 11:27:45 am »

That is your opinion.

We could try to objectively quantify it though. One could make a graph that plots the amount of people that died against how many missions a person had under his/her belt (aka X people died on their 1st mission, y people died on their 2nd mission, etc). From that, we can see how much the chance to die goes down as number of missions completed (an indication of veterancy) goes up.

Which reminds me: hey pw, when are you going to update the wall of remembrance? We have some dead people by now.
Dunno exactly who though. Morul, for one. And Mesk, and the one who self-destructed during arbiter mission. And all the people cthuncan absorbed, and the victim from doomarms. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:37:12 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25964 on: December 27, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »

Yeah, I helped, I killed some people! How come you guys aren;t taking amore positive attitude and giving me some credit?

Does this "one in nine" statistic include nonactive and otherwise squirreled away (like Heph, maybe?) characters? I always suspect statistics used on the internet, it seems too much like people are trying to debate logically. >:(
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 1729 1730 [1731] 1732 1733 ... 2205