Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319411 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #26010 on: December 28, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »

Is it weird that when i think of milno your profile picture is always what i think he looks like?

If I recall correctly, that is what Milno looks like. Approximately. Likewise my avatar is what Ulrich is supposed to look like.
Okay good so i haven't been wrong all these years.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26011 on: December 28, 2015, 12:51:46 pm »

Every time I stop following the OOC thread for a while I return to odd reading material. I'm not sure whether that whole thing was flattering or dangerous.

And yeah, Milno isn't a space magic god or anything like that. Surprise, lucky shots, explosives, magic or plain overkill, you name it.

I'd take it as the former, because people who are serious about making an attempt on Milno's life probably wouldn't be advertising how they'd do it openly in the ooc (at least not if they're competent enough to actually be a danger). Now, the person(s) who brought the topic up, and/or subtly sollicited people to post their ideas however...

Syv, NJW, I suggest you start running.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26012 on: December 28, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »

The arbiter of peace encounter was rather disappointing... only one permadeath, the team gets saved by Hand of God, pretty much.
It's a problem. I get a lot of whining when I start wiping characters. About "fairness". But unfortunately with powerful vets there's only two ways to kill them: Overwhelming force or "Guess the weakness" style things which keep coming unless you figure out what kills them. And what happens is that they usually throw a few newbies into the combine harvester and then run away.

I mean, is it any fun to fight an enemy that just shrugs off all your attacks? No. But how else are they gonna fight you, since the standard procedure is just for everyone to all shoot at it together until it dies. I suppose numbers works, just spam you with too many to fight all at once.

The point I'm laboriously getting to is that it is hard to kill vets in a reasonable way. A way that isn't "Rocks fall and you die" random or super harsh consequences for something silly. And then we have people like Sy who are always doing their damnedest to weasel their way into being able to go on missions without actually physically being there and in any actual danger. Doing it all through remote control. And I can't really complain about that. While Sy seems to be trying to game the system, he's doing it in universe, and it's really nothing but a natural extension of Milno's "Poke it with a stick" style of cautious interaction.

I'd like to run it like I run Infinite heavens, where the body count is high and death is common. But I feel the salt would be immense.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26013 on: December 28, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »

I have an idea! How about for christmas we work out a weekly posting schedule and we try to figure out a way I can murder more of you and get rid of this horrible power gap between immortal vets and infinitely squishy newbies?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26014 on: December 28, 2015, 01:09:17 pm »

Just do tinker all day everyday.

Maybe, like, non-ER on Monday, missions on Tuesday, on ship and tinker  (and whatever else) Wednesday. Repeat for Thursday-Friday-Saturday, Sunday resting day as usual. I dunno, would that work? Or is that too much?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26015 on: December 28, 2015, 01:10:18 pm »

And monster eggs in the armory

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26016 on: December 28, 2015, 01:16:41 pm »

The only way I can think of to give newbies and vets proper challenge is segregation. Have some noob missions without any veteran babysitters, and have some veteran missions without any newbie tagalongs. Not sure if that can be justified IC though, or if it would be fun. Of course keep some mixed missions too.

And monster eggs in the armory
:)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26017 on: December 28, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »

One option would be to make characters npc's once they reach a certain power level/threshold, but I don't think that'd be a popular solution, to say the least.

What I do think might help though, is make a clearer distinction between 'vet missions' and more newbie missions, where there are level/power caps for missions. So if you are too veteran, you can't go on certain missions, in order to herd the more powerful chars into certain missions which can then be much harder and lethal without just grinding a ton of newbies into paste. Newbies are still free to join every mission, but with the explicit knowledge you will not pull punches and that said mission is not meant for the weak of heart or those without a metric ton of armored codpiece.

So, like in some online games, prevent high level chars from stealing all the thunder on newbie missions, and make sure missions for vets are adequately difficult.

Ninja'd by nav, with the difference I wouldn't restrict newbies from joining vet missions if they really want, but they should be very aware that they are in over their head, and shouldn't complain if they die 2 turns in because the enemy doesn't pull any punches.

This might mean more deliberate planning on your part though, pw.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:20:34 pm by Radio Controlled »

Nunzillor

« Reply #26018 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:33 pm »

Didn't we have that with M22?  Some newbs got sent anyway, I believe.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26019 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:40 pm »

Hey PW, you might like this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/tIfk9

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.

I see I need to fit something new into my sig now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26020 on: December 28, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »

I'd like to say that I don't have much of an issue with ER's lethality.  I do dislike when people get to survive things they really shouldn't, like the nuke door incident, but I also dislike unreasonable things like that happening in the first place.  And, as my big statistics post shows, vets do die; there's just far fewer vets than newbies, and the vets are somewhat more resistant to death, so it's comparatively rare for them to die.

Heck, I'm constantly in fear for Saint's life, despite being perhaps the most cautious player in the game.

...Also, while I do try to not take unnecessary risks, I've been accepting that I don't get mission levelups for it.  If you decided that Saint has to actually go into an alternate dimension to get a levelup, he would do so.  If my playstyle gets too annoying for you, tell me, and it'll change.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26021 on: December 28, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »

Burn it all to the ground!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26022 on: December 28, 2015, 01:26:49 pm »

Um, just to point out, not all vets are as immortal as others. Lyra's still plenty squishy, +0 End, +1 Will, and no suit upgrades at all. Dex doesn't help against things that can't be dodged. And there's a lot of those.

May I recommend segregating based on suit class? have some missions that require flight (meaning MK3 / battlesuits), some that require extra armor (meaning battlesuit / Avatar / robobody), some that require cramped spaces (meaning no battlesuits or avatars), and so on? honestly, it seems to me that the defining difference between immortals and non-immortals is how much armor they routinely have between themselves and threats.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26023 on: December 28, 2015, 01:29:01 pm »

I like Lenglon's idea.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26024 on: December 28, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »

Well, the holy trinity of armor, mobility and firepower really.

For the record, the biggest killer around here is stasis dementia. If we were to kill of anyone who hasn't posted in half a year, woo boy, the killcount would skyrocket!

Edit: separating on suit might make it more difficult to make 'surprising' missions though or otherwise kinda spoil things in advance.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:34:19 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 2205