Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1882 1883 [1884] 1885 1886 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2354364 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #28245 on: February 06, 2016, 10:43:53 am »

Very disappointed with undertale.  Would have been much better if pacifist run made you kill someone, and genocidal run had someone you couldn't kill.  Always like it when you are forced to confront your own philosophies.. but the game never makes you ask what you do when the easy answer doesn't work.

http://diggercomic.com/blog/2008/08/22/digger-533/

One of the greatest pieces of web fiction I've read was Digger, partly because it puts characters in difficult and dangerous situations that cannot be solved through philosophy.  It's deeply gripping to read characters who are in situations where they don't get what they want, and where goals may in fact simply be impossible, or where multiple driving forces come into conflict.  The interesting and fun situations are the ones where the easy answers are not possible.

That said, though, fiction like that is rare and precious.  Ones like Undertale, while good, are much more common, and I'm disappointed how rare it is to see protagonists put in situations where what you want is not possible.  I could tell, from the very first, that I would never be forced to make a choice between what I want and what would happen, which made the whole plot and conflict turn into so much meaningless fluff for me.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28246 on: February 06, 2016, 11:01:22 am »

Very disappointed with undertale.  Would have been much better if pacifist run made you kill someone, and genocidal run had someone you couldn't kill.  Always like it when you are forced to confront your own philosophies.. but the game never makes you ask what you do when the easy answer doesn't work.

http://diggercomic.com/blog/2008/08/22/digger-533/

One of the greatest pieces of web fiction I've read was Digger, partly because it puts characters in difficult and dangerous situations that cannot be solved through philosophy.  It's deeply gripping to read characters who are in situations where they don't get what they want, and where goals may in fact simply be impossible, or where multiple driving forces come into conflict.  The interesting and fun situations are the ones where the easy answers are not possible.

That said, though, fiction like that is rare and precious.  Ones like Undertale, while good, are much more common, and I'm disappointed how rare it is to see protagonists put in situations where what you want is not possible.  I could tell, from the very first, that I would never be forced to make a choice between what I want and what would happen, which made the whole plot and conflict turn into so much meaningless fluff for me.
Dev, I tried to put you in that situation and you quit the game.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28247 on: February 06, 2016, 12:08:11 pm »

You weren't so much murdered as put into storage and turned into fodder for genetic modification.
Hooray?

I'll spend a couple hours trying to figure things out and we'll see what I come up with.

Also worth mentioning: We're no longer part of UWM. Steve turned the HMRC into ARM, a revolutionary group based on the forge world Hephaestus. Rather than being prisoners, we're (supposedly) allowed to leave at any time, and the 10 mission thing is no longer a thing.

A few missions back, a team led by Maurice accidentally (well, sort of accidentally...) released this thing we call The Lurker in the Angles, an extra-universal god which is currently infecting Origin, our own universe's pseudo God-equivalent and the source of space magic. Most of the old Exo tech is highly unstable as a result.

On the bright side, the UWM has essentially collapsed due to their reliance on origin tech. We've basically won the war. On the not so bright side, that thing that won our war for us is rapidly devouring reality, leaving us no choice but to evacuate this universe. The people tasked with finding us a new universe to live in may have just accidentally stumbled upon the Lurker's home universe, which almost certainly spells doom for those poor souls.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28248 on: February 06, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »

Just looked at what dimension values summoned our latest alien visitor. And wouldn't you know it, the lurker in the angles hides in a dimension reached by a Pythagorean triple. Beware basic geometry!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28249 on: February 06, 2016, 12:43:32 pm »

Just looked at what dimension values summoned our latest alien visitor. And wouldn't you know it, the lurker in the angles hides in a dimension reached by a Pythagorean triple. Beware basic geometry!
Imagine That.

Also, I'm gonna go buy a freaking wrist brace and come back because I've typed like 10 sentences and I'm already down to one hand.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28250 on: February 06, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »

It's actually kinda funny, the universe right now wouldn't be made very much worse by adding the Flood in.

Sure says something.
I'm pretty sure the flood never ate stars and reformed after being shot or turned space into unlivable seas of black goo filled with strange beings or fought as an equal to what one could call a god.

Letting the flood in would probably be like letting the spiders from the infect-everyone-with-parasitic-spiders-verse in. Just another day in the office for the HMRC.
You clearly haven't read some of the Halo books :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28251 on: February 06, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »

-snip-
Yo P-dubs, why no commentary on the new x-com let's play?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28252 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:41 pm »

-snip-
Yeah im curious as well.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28253 on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »

What really frustrates me is that Gus had absolutely no in-character reason to pick 3,4,5. There's very little likelihood that he would be familiar with Pythagorean theorem; he comes from a world where public education is abysmal, and he left school at age 12 and became a construction worker.

I chose those coordinates, and now we all might die because I let my OOC bias affect Gus' choices.

The moral of this story? Don't megagame, kids, not even a little bit. If you do, flaming black inter-dimensional space-Santa will devour you and your friends.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28254 on: February 06, 2016, 01:13:28 pm »

-snip-
No good time to mic it in. I comment with text as we go on, but hopefully I'll be able to do sound here tomorrow. Living in a house with multiple people and having your pc in a public area means you can only use the mic when no one is around.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #28255 on: February 06, 2016, 01:18:58 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to Steve
Text?
You can colour text. And add callsigns to the quote header. Don't know how much IC sense it would make though.

I don't like the new system very much. Feels restrictive and hard to use. Especially combined with the nonsensical and unintuitive team names.

Then again, it's something new and I haven't gotten used to it. Maybe I'll like it better once I use it for a while and learn it a bit better.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28256 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:09 pm »

Text?
You can colour text.

I don't like the new system very much. Feels restrictive and hard to use. Especially combined with the nonsensical and unintuitive team names.

Then again, it's something new and I haven't gotten used to it. Maybe I'll like it better once I use it for a while and learn it a bit better.
+1 Do not like. People's text color is their accent. most people can't change their own accent at will. making text color match someone's accent makes no sense. the entire system is Out of Character.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:22:04 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28257 on: February 06, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »

Text?
You can colour text. And add callsigns to the quote header. Don't know how much IC sense it would make though.

There are 39 people on this mission spread across 7 threads.  The preview for quoting past posts only shows 20-25 posts. You guys like talking, which often results in actions getting pushed off this quote length. When this happens I need to go collect them manually via copy pasting. And thats when posts get missed or turns get eaten, because I mess up a paste or just don't see you.

I'm doing this for the purpose of making my life easier while still allowing you guys to have lengthy character conversations. If you have a better idea I'm all for it, this is just the best solution I could think of short of having two threads per team.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28258 on: February 06, 2016, 01:34:24 pm »

Am fine with pushing chat to another thread, just don't like it being in a restricted format. different characters communicate different ways.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28259 on: February 06, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »

Am fine with pushing chat to another thread, just don't like it being in a restricted format. different characters communicate different ways.
the problem with that is that 39 people talking at once is gonna be very hard to follow unless there's some method of denoting who is talk and who they're talking to.

Again, I'm Open to suggestions as to how to do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1882 1883 [1884] 1885 1886 ... 2205