Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944] 1945 1946 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2346739 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29145 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:16 pm »

And how about those Trinity refugees? We have no idea who these people are. We can't open our portals to them- our portals are already open. It's a disaster.

Oh yeah, and Mexico is sending Faith through our southern portals, apparently. But some of her, I guess, is a good person?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #29146 on: March 01, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »

Good god I've created a transhuman fleshmonster and his political leanings are less distressing than those of actual politicians.
Sigged.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29147 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:04 pm »

ACTUALLY sigged. :D

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29148 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:25 pm »

Hinestly, I would choose xanessa over any of the current political canidate. Now if only we could combine him with aberdolf Lincler.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29149 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:59 am »

Lets talk for a moment about OROBOROPOLIS. I want to set a few things straight.  And I'll throw out a disclaimer that things can change; the system is nowhere near done and more exists as a bunch of ideas and half made systems with various goals. But I figured it's best to at least explain those ideas.

1. The game isn't a simple infinite dungeon generator for you to flail at and never make any real progress in. I alluded to this with the talk of "killing the heart" but I realize thats very vague. The Name "OROBOROPOLIS" came from a generating system I was using, which was originally intended to be infinite, but I realized it wasn't terribly interesting as a main game. Fine for the Deep infirmary, but not for the focus of a system. The intent with the game that bears the old generator's name is to create a dungeon by hand.  One of my inspirations for this was this interpretation of a tokyo railway map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Visible at a higher definition Here

The city of the damned is not just a liveless structure, it is a living thing. And the goal of the game is to kill it. It's not an easy task, and you might never succeed, but there is an end goal to work towards.

2. Part of the goal of killing this lovecraftian thing is to inhabit it. In other words, this isn't just "raid dungeon" this is "Invade dungeon, set up base camps, even fortified areas, hell, maybe even towns if you can manage it". And this can have multiple positive effects. The most obvious being that you wouldn't have to restart from the entrance everytime, new players could "Spawn" at a forward base and existing players wouldn't have to delve through the same infested hives every time, struggling to make it back to their previous deepest point. If I get a crafting system going (which I'd like to do, I've been wanting to do a crafting system in a game for a while now. I have a lot of love for the crafting in Hellmoo, so a big ass system like that would be just wonderful) then these settlements could gather materials from the area passively. They could generate new goods to buy as well, stuff related to the area they're in. They could also provide an interesting chance for a more defensive role. Xcom base defense anyone?

3. I want the actual "active" party of players to be MUCH more limited than they are now. Like, 5 people, 7 at most. And that is for a number of good reasons
  • I can actually focus on doing more turns, more quickly, and with better descriptions.
  • I can create a system with more depth because I won't go insane trying to do stuff across 50 characters. See perplexicon.
  • I won't be spending 2 hours or more a day doing posts and slowly burning out to the point of not wanting to do anything anymore.
  • Things won't be so much of an indomitable cluster fuck. Probably.
But I would like to have the players that aren't part of that currently active group doing SOMETHING. I don't like the idea of a straight waitlist. It's not engaging and half the time people don't seem to come back, meaning half the slots are duds. Maybe something like what I was talking about with the mostly player run on ship stuff? I dunno. But I also don't want to spend a lot of time on it; as I said, I want my effort and time going towards the main game.

4. In relation to that, I'd like a more fair way to choose people being signed up to be part of the active group. Probably a lottery using the names of everyone who signs up in a 48 hour period. Something like that. Because I don't want to have a team of brain deads. Thats another thing we'll need. Doom counter on brain deads. Miss too many turns without letting us know you'll be gone? Character is eliminated. Or at least shoved into a small room and locked away for the time being.

5. I've said that character advancement was doomed; ie that you would eventually succumb as you fought the forces of evil and fall to that evil. The current Idea I have related to that is connected to a particular stat: Faith.  Now, in the system I'm thinking of, you'll gain levels in skills related to weapons when you uses them. Ie, you might have level 2 long sword skill or level 5 unarmed skill. Instead of giving you some numerical bonus, these levels will grant you abilities. Such as an unarmed player may gain the ability "Flicker" which allows them to unleash a single lighting fast blow that covers a much larger distance than seems possible, striking enemies at a decent range.  These abilities, along with magic, probably, drain your faith. And faith is an important thing. It's not just some pool stat; your faith is vital for remaining untainted. Think of it kind of like sanity in a lovecraft setting. When you get low on faith, enemies will be more prone to target you, and if you completely run out, you gain a point of corruption. That means that some part of your body becomes corrupted. This is both good and bad. It's bad because it pushes you one step closer to completely turning, and once you get the first bit, it becomes easier to get others. It's good because it brings with it unique abilities related to that part.  And it's not just using abilities, you can lose faith in all kinds of ways, and gain it back in others. But you will almost inevitably reach a point where you are forced to choose between maintaining your faith or losing a teammate, or possibly dying yourself. And once you start on the road to corruption, the city will do everything in its power to see you further along it. So yeah, you have a chance of living a long time, but such survivors will more than likely be rare indeed.

It's getting late and I have a dentist appointment and a heck of a lot of studying to do tomorrow, so I'm gonna wrap this up for now. I'll talk more about my ideas for combat mechanics tomorrow.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29150 on: March 02, 2016, 12:57:55 am »

I like the Oroboropolis-idea, based on the description above.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #29151 on: March 02, 2016, 02:31:25 am »

This oroboropolis definitely has my vote, and on the idea of being inactive and still doing things. How about everyone who is inactive is gathering resources and gear, building bases, researching new weapons or monsters and so on; effectively working in the supply chain for the adventurers with the small teams being justified by a limit to the investment available to have an effective team but not a large loss of reserves when they die. I guess we would need a co-gm to do it though.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29152 on: March 02, 2016, 02:58:17 am »

The non-exploring players get to simulate a village of idiots at the edge of hell (and eventually inside hell)? Sounds fun!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #29153 on: March 02, 2016, 03:35:26 am »

Catching up on things, since I haven't had much time these past two weeks.

I'd like to see more ER personally, though not necessarily in the exact form we know it now. Maybe more of an exploration game, where you're a bunch of impressionable young schmucks in a strange universe who, after getting their little heads filled with fantastical tales of your predecessor's antics, are now tasked to go find new resources and lands for your fledgling colony. Better hope you don't disturb the local fauna!

Hell, if those self-sustaining and expanding colonies work out, we could also become a sort of interdimensional goon squad who travel from dimension to dimension to solve whatever problems the colonists there have, to stay in the spirit of old ER. Need a hive of hostile crystal space bees taken out? Want some expendables to go grab some of those weird anomalous can openers over yonder? Is there inter-faction rivalry between different colonies that need some expert diplomats to talk through? Who better to ask than the spiritual incarnation of the HMRC!
That sounds like a good idea.  Especially because the AIs and the environment could do all sorts of weird things, allowing PW to do different fun stuff with those worlds. A world where humans have been genemodded into malleable boneless things. A world where everyone lives in a giant tower or underground. A world where there is no light, so people have been genemodded to compensate. A world where the AI has made everything sentient in order to fulfill the desires of the people living there, Good Directorate style.

Oh, I've been reading Neverness recently, and in it society has a rule that you might find helpful in designing your colony. It's more or less: "You can modify your body in any way you like, but you may not modify your genetic code in a way that allows you to pass those modifications on to your children. You may modify yourself, but humanity as a whole must remain relatively pure and compatible with each other, so that we don't end up creating new species."

Just read the last Earthquake turn.  Comrade Dimitri is, indeed, the best id.

Now, Pancaek, why haven't you stuck your mask on him yet?
The words "Infinite Loop" come to mind.
Plus, why remove all the potential for random fun?

Paris, why are you attacking your teammate's attack?
Well, I heard he liked attacks, so I put some attacks in his attacks with attacks.

More seriously, because I don't know what will happen but shooting it will probably increase my chances and the chances of everyone around me for survival.

The only forseeable problem is that it seems to have more of a "kill loads of monsters, die a lot, read some lore if you want" plot, than an actual moving plot: more like a souls game, if ER could be compared to, well, pretty much any FPS, in its delivery of narrative.
I'm pretty sure piecewise would come up with a fun story that would evolve over time as he gets inspiration and comes up with new things.

He's done so in most other games I've seen him run.

Lets talk for a moment about OROBOROPOLIS. I want to set a few things straight.  And I'll throw out a disclaimer that things can change; the system is nowhere near done and more exists as a bunch of ideas and half made systems with various goals. But I figured it's best to at least explain those ideas.

1. The game isn't a simple infinite dungeon generator for you to flail at and never make any real progress in. I alluded to this with the talk of "killing the heart" but I realize thats very vague. The Name "OROBOROPOLIS" came from a generating system I was using, which was originally intended to be infinite, but I realized it wasn't terribly interesting as a main game. Fine for the Deep infirmary, but not for the focus of a system. The intent with the game that bears the old generator's name is to create a dungeon by hand.  One of my inspirations for this was this interpretation of a tokyo railway map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Visible at a higher definition Here

The city of the damned is not just a liveless structure, it is a living thing. And the goal of the game is to kill it. It's not an easy task, and you might never succeed, but there is an end goal to work towards.

2. Part of the goal of killing this lovecraftian thing is to inhabit it. In other words, this isn't just "raid dungeon" this is "Invade dungeon, set up base camps, even fortified areas, hell, maybe even towns if you can manage it". And this can have multiple positive effects. The most obvious being that you wouldn't have to restart from the entrance everytime, new players could "Spawn" at a forward base and existing players wouldn't have to delve through the same infested hives every time, struggling to make it back to their previous deepest point. If I get a crafting system going (which I'd like to do, I've been wanting to do a crafting system in a game for a while now. I have a lot of love for the crafting in Hellmoo, so a big ass system like that would be just wonderful) then these settlements could gather materials from the area passively. They could generate new goods to buy as well, stuff related to the area they're in. They could also provide an interesting chance for a more defensive role. Xcom base defense anyone?

3. I want the actual "active" party of players to be MUCH more limited than they are now. Like, 5 people, 7 at most. And that is for a number of good reasons
  • I can actually focus on doing more turns, more quickly, and with better descriptions.
  • I can create a system with more depth because I won't go insane trying to do stuff across 50 characters. See perplexicon.
  • I won't be spending 2 hours or more a day doing posts and slowly burning out to the point of not wanting to do anything anymore.
  • Things won't be so much of an indomitable cluster fuck. Probably.
But I would like to have the players that aren't part of that currently active group doing SOMETHING. I don't like the idea of a straight waitlist. It's not engaging and half the time people don't seem to come back, meaning half the slots are duds. Maybe something like what I was talking about with the mostly player run on ship stuff? I dunno. But I also don't want to spend a lot of time on it; as I said, I want my effort and time going towards the main game.

4. In relation to that, I'd like a more fair way to choose people being signed up to be part of the active group. Probably a lottery using the names of everyone who signs up in a 48 hour period. Something like that. Because I don't want to have a team of brain deads. Thats another thing we'll need. Doom counter on brain deads. Miss too many turns without letting us know you'll be gone? Character is eliminated. Or at least shoved into a small room and locked away for the time being.

5. I've said that character advancement was doomed; ie that you would eventually succumb as you fought the forces of evil and fall to that evil. The current Idea I have related to that is connected to a particular stat: Faith.  Now, in the system I'm thinking of, you'll gain levels in skills related to weapons when you uses them. Ie, you might have level 2 long sword skill or level 5 unarmed skill. Instead of giving you some numerical bonus, these levels will grant you abilities. Such as an unarmed player may gain the ability "Flicker" which allows them to unleash a single lighting fast blow that covers a much larger distance than seems possible, striking enemies at a decent range.  These abilities, along with magic, probably, drain your faith. And faith is an important thing. It's not just some pool stat; your faith is vital for remaining untainted. Think of it kind of like sanity in a lovecraft setting. When you get low on faith, enemies will be more prone to target you, and if you completely run out, you gain a point of corruption. That means that some part of your body becomes corrupted. This is both good and bad. It's bad because it pushes you one step closer to completely turning, and once you get the first bit, it becomes easier to get others. It's good because it brings with it unique abilities related to that part.  And it's not just using abilities, you can lose faith in all kinds of ways, and gain it back in others. But you will almost inevitably reach a point where you are forced to choose between maintaining your faith or losing a teammate, or possibly dying yourself. And once you start on the road to corruption, the city will do everything in its power to see you further along it. So yeah, you have a chance of living a long time, but such survivors will more than likely be rare indeed.

It's getting late and I have a dentist appointment and a heck of a lot of studying to do tomorrow, so I'm gonna wrap this up for now. I'll talk more about my ideas for combat mechanics tomorrow.
Sounds fun to me. I like it.

I think I'll go vote now. I missed the previous vote, but I don't think I missed anything important.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29154 on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:51 am »

I'd be willing to volunteeer as a sort of subGm for doing stuff with the base camp players in ouroboropolis. Maybe that would be the primary place for crafting, and there would be a need for active defensive shields / walls / soldiers, so people have to spend some time actively holding back the dark, while others pursue research and still others collect resources and craft items. i'd be sad not to be an active player, but that could be a nice alternative.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29155 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:22 am »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29156 on: March 02, 2016, 08:44:37 am »

Ooooh something cool is coming
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29157 on: March 02, 2016, 09:16:39 am »

Standing by!

I'd like to see a similiar blurb about Homonuculus.  I think MMWW we know enough about.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29158 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:09 am »

Living creature-verse provides the opportunity to do Oroboropolis while keeping ER's lore =P
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29159 on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

Living creature-verse provides the opportunity to do Oroboropolis while keeping ER's lore =P
Thats one thing: that poll remains evenly split and we've not heard much out of people who want ER to keep going. What are your opinions, other side of the poll?
Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944] 1945 1946 ... 2205