Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Lets Change Erebus! (Civ 4/FFH2/Master of Mana 2.11 mod LP)  (Read 26720 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Change Erebus! (Civ 4/FFH2/Master of Mana 2.11 mod LP)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:34 pm »

Theres some very interesting changes that apparently will happen in 3.0 according to the MoM forums, but I'm almost certain it'll break saves, so it probably won't be shown here.

From the journal of Lord Najesh of the Aristrakh's scholar:
Scribbled in the edge: Apparently some of the scryers have figured out how to keep images for some time. I've decided to borrow these for my own use.

Time 26 - One of the skeletons to the north reported a 'Bright fire thing'. After some scryers and asking Lord Najesh, it turns out that it is the Mirror of Heaven, a Fire Mana source sought by the Malakim.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It will require more of those summons, and perhaps Nofuos as well to take down, if I'm looking at this image correctly. But stealing a special place from anyone could be entertaining, moreso if we actually find any Malakim here.

Time 29 - Theres been a lack of scouting reports since the Mirror of Heaven, which means that we've lost all the scouts. Damn useless piles of bones...

Time 31 - There was a rumble to the northeast, apparently the first Defiler awakened. Which is excellent timing, considering the second one was finally started. I've also heard of news on a sudden jump in the education, but I'm surprised it took this long, honestly. No news of it being actually finished however.

Time 34 - Ah, how interesting the results can be sometimes. With the completion of the education, the Necrosages attempted to make another immediately. They ended up summoning an old tomb lord instead, somehow without using any souls at that.
His name was too annoying however, so I let someone else handle his orders. Apparently he's going to go scout a bit and find what killed our scouts, after being given some hide armor and a sword. As a sidenote, the second defiler was finished.

Time 36 - Aha, they've finally finished the summon. This should make it far easier to continue scouting while building something actually useful. And according to this scrying image, they're stronger than I had thought from looking over the spell notes.

Time 40 - The Tomb lord reports that they've cleaned up some skeletons with the help of the Skeleton Soldier, and found some arcane artifacts useful for the spell research. But thats not entirely important, I must go and see the return of Nofuos the Imperishable!

Somewhere inside the Palace of the Aristrakh...
Head Scholar: So, is he here? You didn't lose him, did you?
Lead Necrosage: No, of course not. Now shut up, this requires focus.
A rift appears in the chamber, followed by various colors of lightning. After it all calms down, out steps Nofuos the Imperishable, and the rift closes without a sound.

"Hello, Nofuos the Imperishable! Can you speak? Can you hear me? Lord Najesh is rather interested in knowing your status." the head scholar shouts. Nofuos replies with an ominous hum. Aside from that, the room is quiet for awhile, but the scholar is not known for large reserves of patience. "Well, Nofuos? can you speak or not? I know and bow to your importance to us, but I cannot sit here all day." he says while doing a short bow.
"Give him time, head scholar. I don't shout at you at dawn, do I? You're doing the same thing here." says the necrosage, who has been sitting since the rift closed. Nofuos does not reply, but the ominousness of the ominous hum intensifies.
"YOu have on at least one occasion. More than likely two, if I had my notes in here to reference, under 'annoyances'." the head scholar shouts back before turning to Nofuos again. However, before he can start another sentence, Nofuos picks him up and hurls into the far wall near the entrance, and the scholar crumples like the collection of bones he resembles. The ominous hum ceases for a moment as Nofuos responds to the necrosage.
"Yes, I am ok. I see Lord Najesh has not gotten any better in his choice of scholars. Now, who are you again?"
"Lead Necrosage."
"Well, thank you for your patience, then, Lead. Should I assume the palace layout is the same as before?"
"For the most part, yes. Now if you'll excuse me..." Lead Necrosage says, as he walks out of the chamber to return to researching various things.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:48:59 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:35:26 pm »

Journal of Lord Najesh, page 45: T45 - It seems like I have made a poor choice of scholar. Nofuos' unsurprising in retrospect demolition of my previous head scholar has caused a bit of a annoyance for me, I have to actually use this for important things. Like ordering some sort of research into festivities, since no one thought to welcome him back with more than a mild cheer. Also, some artisans arrived, claiming I was in need of mines. Surprisingly, they didn't flee as soon as they saw undead, so they can stay for now. Also, the tomb lord reported to one of the minions who collect messages that Nofuos has joined up with them, and they vanquished a nearby dungeon with only a minor skeleton problem as a result.
((Crafting had 'One guild spreads in the empire', which apparently means 'Go click on a guild in the guild screen that has something that sounds useful'. I picked Artisans, which gave me the option to build mines.))
T50 - Nofuos reports a disturbing amount of wild animals to the north, where I'd planned to expand to due to so many resources we could defile. While there is a reason he is called 'the Imperishable', theres no point throwing him against an army without backup.

T52 - There was a thudding sound as the second defiler awakened. Or perhaps that was Nofuos' return after defeat from the animal clumps that followed him until he vanished.. Likely the combined sound of both, considering the acoustics in this place.

T54 - A messenger from the Clan of Embers arrived. They were placated, because I have better things to deal with for now. By placated I mean not immediately warred upon. Also, the spell researchers have started working on Curse, excellent! I've been wanting to curse these annoying barbarians (emberites included) for ages, ever since we ran out of scouting info. Quickly, Deathknell! Get on with organizing the acolytes! Annoying them is even more reason to settle northwards!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

Miniupdate, because wat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:24:35 pm »

wat.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »

wat.

Wat. Is it possible to become undead demon-worshipers? Because that sounds kinda metal and awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »

wat.

Wat. Is it possible to become undead demon-worshipers? Because that sounds kinda metal and awesome.
Technically, thats the entire point of the Sheaim. They are basically 'Summoner Armageddon counter-boosting Ashen Veil fanboys', their more useful unit is the Pyre Zombie. The Infernals are supposed to be summoned as part of one of the religiontechs for Ashen Veil, the most evilest of religions. Ashen Veil, like the name might imply, will start turning people's land into Hell Terrain (which for the most part is grey and dust-like, or on fire)depending on how high the counter is: First, only Ashen Veil-state religion culture areas. Then, evil civ territory in general. I believe it can affect neutral civ territory as well if you're hauling the counter as high as possible. Ashen Veil is also the only religion in the civpedia entry for the Infernals that has even a vaguely-positive thing to say about the domain of the fallen god Hyborem.

But hey, if you can start as the infernals now? I might try playing as them then if this goes badly. (I'm sorta expecting it to go badly rather quickly, considering that 1. they get Demon units, who are as immune as we are to unholy magic, which means no bonus damage for most of my everything against them, and no useful spells until I acquire alternate mana lines) and 2. they gain units from razing my cities (or any other evil or neutral cities), or any of my spellcasters wielding death mana. Or any units from a civ using Ashen Veil or Octopus Overlords as their religion.) The Frozen get a similar effect, but based on the Winterborn trait instead, and possibly also something else, I haven't played as them in awhile.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »

From the hastily scribbled notes of Lord Najesh of the Aristrakh:
The Infernals. Of all the groups, they had to appear in this plane. Deathknell is in about as much panic as an undead city can be, perhaps joining the Undercouncil was not the best idea...they didn't look angry at us for now though. In fact, they so far were the happiest to see us?

T58 - Met the Amurites. Shooed them away.
T64 - Knowledge of the Ether Researched.
T71 - Heresh founded. Heavily defended.
T73 - Rumors of a war starting. Emberites & Amurites.
T74 - Nightwatch appears in Deathknell. Sounds useful. Hard to see. Sent out scouting.
T75 - Nightwatch report. Found Infernal City. Terrible news.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »

From the quickly scribbled notes of a variety of important Aristrakh members:

T78 - Further east. More Infernals, Nightwatch says. Report sent directly to Lord Nagash.
T80 - Borders of Deathknell expand. Amurites want help with war. Shooed away.
T82 - Met Scions of Patria. Oddly quiet. Shooed off with a message we weren't going to immediately attack them. Lacking much to build, scouts sent out. More Acolytes will be assembled and sent out after further scouting.
T85 - Nightwatch report: Brandeline's Well, a source of death mana. Guarded strongly, like the Mirror of Heaven. Lord Najesh very annoyed we couldn't just go northeast of Heresh and claim it. Worker stolen by a vile force of darkness barbarian goblins.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »

Would... would it be fair to alert considering watchers that the humble bundle currently includes Civ IV Complete edition? If anyone cash strapped was thinking about picking up what they need to play MoM, now's a really good time for it. And everything else Civ 4 brings to the table, Master of Mana itself is worth a buck. Or a fiver, or whatev'.

... anyway, yeah. Watching and all that. Out of curiosity, any chance of a Scions game at some point? I've always wanted to watch someone play those guys. Never really figured out the trick of it, back when I played MoM last.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 06:38:17 pm »

I've never even played the Scions before. Though I am playing against them for now, heh.

Or most of the races in FFH2, honestly. I've tried (tried because I've never actually finished a modded civ 4 game outside of an MP Dune Wars game) the Illians (in Orbis), the Luchiurp? (the golem builders), the Sheaim, the Frozen, and I tried the Infernals a bit a couple days ago. (They've been upgraded into a starting civ for when the Planes maptype is not highly experimental, as far as I can tell.)

Theres been me getting distracted with other games, but I'm going to have an update either later tonight or tomorrow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »

If you're a fan of keeping units alive and eventually ending up with a doomstack of customized hero units, the Gregori are a pretty nice civ. At least, in version 1.42. They're my favorite civ for that reason--I like lots of customized doom units that can quite easily gain the ability to not die on failed combat again and again.

Though, I'll be honest: There's little going for them besides that. Their special unit and building are meh, and they don't get any religion.

On a related note, wow, Infernals on your borders. I can't see that ever going badly. Nope. I'm sure it'll all be fine.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:48:53 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:48 pm »

On a related note, wow, Infernals on your borders. I can't see that ever going badly. Nope. I'm sure it'll all be fine.
At least its not the Mercurials (yet, probably). They'd hate me even more than the neutral Amurites do currently. And do bonus damage.

Also, the Nightwatch are the best scout ever. Undercouncil resolution, if it passes you get a 3 move unit with no attack thats invisible to everything (afaik) and doesn't get effected by cultural borders. They'd also be terrible in MP for exactly the same reason >.>
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 09:35:33 pm »

o.o

Posting to Watch.

I'm not remotely familiar with this mod, but... as someone who enjoyed Master of Magic back in the day, would you recommend it? I'm getting some similar vibes from it, in a good way :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:34 pm »

Well, do you know how to play vanilla Civ 4? Because this is like trying DF before trying anything simpler if you don't know how to play civ beforehand. More resources, the entire mana and magic systems, and the tech tree isn't one huge mass of semi-linear techs you can wander through if you have no idea where to go, its split into different sections. (though that has made it easier to peer around it to find things)

That aside, I haven't played Master of Magic myself, so I couldn't make a good comparison.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:18 am »

It does have a certain degree of similarity to the earlier MoM, but not exactly what I'd call much. Probably mainly there because of the fairly involved magic system, which does share some similarities (nodes and whatnot). If you enjoyed MoM, though, well, you'll probably like MoM, too. MoM's a fair bit more complicated and not quite as... call it bombastic? In terms of balance and whatnot, generally. As MoM was. More moving parts, generally a bit slower paced. Very different engine, very different combat system, very different economy, still very different magic system, but with some somewhat-superficially similar mechanics re: magic. Both MoM and MoM are very much their own games.

But MoM's pretty enjoyable. It's good, as 4x games go. As I said, it's definitely worth a buck, which you can get Civ IV for, for the next week and a bit. More if you feel like, of course, but that's the minimum.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6