Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Lets Change Erebus! (Civ 4/FFH2/Master of Mana 2.11 mod LP)  (Read 26402 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Lets Change Erebus! (Civ 4/FFH2/Master of Mana 2.11 mod LP)
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »

So, I went to see if Master of Mana updated, and it apparently has been. Also, I quite like playing as a race that terraforms the landscape around them, like the Illians, Frozen, and Aristrakh.

But first, I thought I'd ask you guys two things: First, if I'd missed a terraforming civ (haven't played Fall from heaven 2 in awhile), and secondly, who should I play against? If you haven't played this before, I haven't been able to find a full list of all the civs in MoM, but for the ones from FFH2, theres a list here. Theres als oa good explaination of some mechanics in Soli's post here.

Spoiler: Parts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:43:48 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Change Erebus! (Civ 4/FFH2/Master of Mana 2.11 mod LP)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:17 pm »

The latest version of MoM I played was pre-version 2, so this may be a bit outdated, but the Malakim terraform things into desert, and I have a very, very shaky suspicion that the Aos Si might terraform things too, but on the latter I haven't actually seen them do it in action and my suspicion is founded on a Civpedia entry that I can't remember if I really, really did see it.

People you should play against? Not sure, but I usually try to balance good, neutral, and evil leaders. So that there isn't a domineering influence from one side or another. If you simply must pick a couple civs, I'd say the Elohim and the Sheaim, simply because one can easily raise the Doomsday meter intentionally and one can easily lower it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:19:34 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:42 pm »

Well, I mostly just asked who to play against since I was already fairly sure who I wanted to play as, and the last FFH2 thread I'd read had let people pick who to play as. I could just get on with starting it up instead, and just balancing out the civs by alignment.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:54 pm »

'sup.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »

2 of each alignment (for a total of 7 civs), MoM_Fantasy Realm map, Conquest & Domination only (since I don't remember what the other non-Time victories do), default map size, no vassals, random seed on reload.

The Aristrakh have had a lot of changes to them, regardless of whether this is MoM 1.42 (or any lettered patches to that), or 2.11; mostly because of how they work. Their current state can be summed up well in the first three lines of their civilopedia entry:
Economy: Consume World
Military: Undead Horde
Population: Gather Souls
Their second leader, Najesh, is better suited to this I think right now, since while both are Agnostic (no State religion) and Defiling Magic (the trait which turns their lands into Wasteland and gives them access to Defiliers, which I'm pretty sure are new in v2.11), Najesh has a bonus to soul collection from killed enemies/cities and a faster production of Nofuos the Imperishable, a hero that gets resurrected in the capital if he gets killed who we can produce with warrior caste, the very first Military tech. He's also one of the limited kinds of unit we'll have that can gain experience due to costing souls to build, most of our undead troops cost no souls but also gain no experience.

We start with Exploration, which lets us chop forests, remove jungle, and build roads. Its part of the Civilian third of the tech tree, the other two are Magic/Religion (almost entirely religion techs, since spell research is separate from beakers), and Military (Warrior Caste, and everything else that follows). Theres also guilds, but since those weren't in the previous version of MoM, I don't know how they work. Most improvements aren't going to be useful to us unless they're city building though, the Ari can only really handle Defilers, quarries, and mines, along with forest/jungle chop and roads.

But enough about background things. Lets get on with the game :)
Heres what our city looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And heres our starting location, before it starts to be passively terraformed:

The blue thing diagonal of our city is a mana shrine, it gives us mana/turn bonus. The crystal next to the bananas is an unaligned mana node, which we can turn into whatever kind of mana we have access to once we're able to get mages; It'll probably be death magic, since we start with that and can always dispel the node later if we need a different mana, as long as we have access to a different mana type. If there are resources within our city's reach, they'll probably be converted into Defiliers, we need more souls and other resources. I'm going to stop this post here since theres a lot of explanation as it is, exploration is going to start in the next post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:33:32 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »

Edit: Skip this, It turns out Random by alignment is broken in this version. Next post is startover with 6 random (not by alignment) civs.

Side note - I'm only going to mention turns where something relevant happened. Things like 'quarry finished' will only get their own turn if theres nothing else interesting, or if they were just roaded to)

From the journal of Lord Najesh of the Aristrakh's scholar:

Time 2 - A report returns from the south: The villagers, whether they were afraid of our scout or just very helpful, have given us the secrets of Warrior Caste! Upon telling the lord, he was rather surprised, and mentioned that was what he was planning to teach the vampires and soulholding undead about first in this odd land. Lord Najesh has decided to switch to teaching the few remaining Necrosages about education, so that we can acquire more of them and be a bit quicker learning things. I highly doubt the last group of barrow archers still intact or the scouts will notice though, one is not quite a pile of bones yet and the others are rather idiotic.

Times 3 and 4 - Another set of reports from the south: A ship wreck is there, apparently. Why is this important to them? We aren't planning to swim anytime soon. I've sent a message back to make sure they don't think of trying to swim, we have better things to do than haul them out of the water. There is also apparently 'Angry spears', which is either a field of those terrible thorns of anguish, or mercenaries. Considering the northern report said the same thing (but also mentioned 'harder rocks' and 'shiny grayness', likely stone and iron resources), I'd go with the latter, even though the former would be less troublesome.*

Time 5 - The southern scout has appeared back in town, so I'd assume they've wasted their only re-un-revival on getting killed by mercs. They were told to sit and heal before going and dying for the third time. Perhaps to the east this time.

Time 6 - There was a large purple swirling effect outside as I opened the curtains, the city has consumed enough of the soul vault to expand! Good to know that still works here, otherwise things could've gone...poorly.
Spoiler: On Ari City Growth (click to show/hide)

Time 9 - Off to the east the refreshed scouts go, as a report comes from the north. It goes on about 'shiny brownness', 'shiny roundness', 'white dryness', and 'Angry ice circle' before becomeing unintelligible, which is interesting. The first three, probably copper, pearls, and salt. We already have salt, the workers are beginning to quarry it now that we have a road to both said salt and the first defiler, since it seems a defiler won't work with salt alone. 'Angry ice circle' though...what is that?
---
After much scrying in the scouts direction by the couple remaining mages, according to Lord Najesh, it would be Letem Frigis, a place important to the Illians and the Frozen, but also a source of Ice mana, if we can remove the Woci and claim the region. Asking one of the scryers about the Woci results in them fainting, so its likely we'll need a horde led by Nofuos the Imperishable to remove it. On to the long-term todo list it goes, then.

Turn 10 Wat.
Why did the other civs not spawn? Argh, damnit Random by Alignment. I suppose that explains why 2.11 is seperate from 2.0, but I didn't want to win by doing nothing at all. That's both boring and cuts off the scholar rather abruptly. I'll be back in a bit, once I know the game isn't going to leave the entire map for me and only me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:39:24 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »

Damned tears in the universe making things difficult, we were so close! We almost had the entire world! And now, well, I'm not going to complain, its a spectacular starting position, but...

Well regardless, Lord Najesh has ordered we find a warrior caste at least 50 large and wring any knowledge we can out of them, then keep their souls on hand to bring Nofuos the Imperishable back to our side in wherever the hell this is. The witches nearby and the artifacts in the ancient tower should speed up getting those forgetful Necrosages in remembering proper death magic.

Ancient Towers also give you an extended sight radius until you step off of them, they're very nice for scouting. Short post just to get the game rebooted.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:48:22 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

Time 2 - Normally this sort of thing is not worth pointing out, but the first Defiler is being constructed already! So useful, those things.

Time 5 - The scouts are back already! Useless hunks of bad meat complaining about 'green flying stabbers', they can't even jsut say goblin archer! But they aren't completely dead yet, so they will be fixed up and sent in a different direction to die horribly. By the looks of things, by the end of the time unit we'll have recollected enough souls to start expansion in Deathknell.

Time 9 - They've managed to summon one skeletal soldier, but supposedly they need more time to refine it to cast consistently. The idiot troop was thrown out to the west.

Time 13 - Odd for them to be so descriptive, but according to the scryers its accurate. To the west is 'Hell portal' inside a forest. Going near it didn't seem to trigger anything though, otherwise we probably would've lost track of them.

Time 22 - Deathknell is growing well, already at what I'd consider to be level 4. Also, a mana crystal was spotted to the southwestish, near some more witch huts. That makes two things more than I thought they'd ever be able to describe well. As celebration, another scout was sent north, and a palisade was started, just in case.

In addition to all of that, the warrior caste was finished interrogation. However, the necrosages did not manage to keep any of the souls, only the skeletons. Thus, by order of Lord Najesh they are being educated on how to train necrosages who are less terrible. Perhaps even a wee bit smarter?
The skeletons were sent away to scout and probably will get eaten by a wolf or similar. The first messages back indicate evil horses to the north, so I doubt they'll last long.

Time 23 - Apparently the skeletons have not been eaten by the Nightmares yet. Drat.
However, the original scouts met another group of goblin archers, it seems; the a scryer didn't see them and I don't care enough to ask more than one.

Time 24 - A message comes from the north saying 'Found self'. If they were actually smart enough to understand what they said, I'd have to actually think sometimes. But no, its just some other necromancer's group of skeletons, or something like that. A mess to be cleaned up later.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »

Going pretty okay. Could use more pictures tho? I dunno.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:32 pm »

In 1.42 those portals are what are at the source of Devil (the demon-like neutrals) spawns when the Armageddon counter gets high enough. Suffice to say they are bad things to see in that version (though usually what you'd see is giant devils instead because of the size of their model). But I have never seen it before at the beginning of the game and I do not know what use they have in 2.11. Have you checked the mod's Civpedia?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »

Mousing over it labels it 'Portal to Hell' quite literally. According to the Civpedia, it spawns things. Or I'm looking at the wrong model, the other one teleports the caster.

Either way, have a picture:
The camels are going next, once I have the gold to build a second Latent Defiler. The first one is north of it, they work like cottages in the 'these will improve if you work them long enough' aspect; the model for the highest level one looks like the gauss turret from dawn of war.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »

PTW also Terraforming Nations you havent mentioned yet: Legion of D'tesh, The Demonic Hordes and the LIzardpeople -> Dtesh makes Wasteland, Demonic Hordes make Hellsurroundings and Lizardpeople make jungles and swamps

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:28:18 pm »

Aren't the demon hordes just the infernals though? I'm pretty sure you have to summon them, so its similar to the frozen in how you have the edit the xml file to let them be playable from the start, unless 2.11 turned them into a semi-normal civ. Jungle tiles could be interesting, though I don't remember a lizardpeople Ive played as.

As for wasteland tiles, we've already started accumulating them by letting the turns go by, though the more culture expansion we get the more wasteland there will be.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »

lizardpeople confirmed for cutest civ

:V

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 09:26:40 am »

If you summon INfernals you get a prompt whether you want to play them. Interestingly this doesnt work with Mecurians. Frozen have to my knowledge also been always playable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6