Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up Workshops to only allow a certain quality of item  (Read 2170 times)

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Setting up Workshops to only allow a certain quality of item
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:11:56 pm »

Hello,

I'm a relatively new player and I know you can link up workshops to stockpiles, so I've been trying to get a stockpile to only accept certain quality items, and then to link that stockpile to a workshop that's set to use items from that stockpile (in this case stud finished goods with gems). My first problem is that I'm not sure the stockpile works as I want it to - overall quality of the item and already existing decorations seem to factor differently when it comes to whether an item will be stored in that stockpile. Add to that that my dwarfs completely stop encrusting/etc when I do the link, as if no item was available. Am I missing something really simple or how do I do this? I want my good stuff to be encrusted so it gets even better. :X

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Workshops to only allow a certain quality of item
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:42:28 pm »

Well they stopped work because you need both the raw materials (gems bones etc) stockpile and the things-to-be-decorated stockpile

As for the stockpile stuff, It's been a little while but the quality settings should be split into base quality- the level without enhancements/decorations and the overall quality.  You might be able to get away with setting the base quality high(ex: only select exceptional and masterful) and the total quality as anything.  If that does not work like you want you may have to limit total quality as well.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:05 pm »

I'm not perfectly clear on what you're asking, but maybe this is what you're looking for:

Set stockpile A to hold the materials you want to use to build the things, and set it to "give to" the workshop that builds them.

Set stockpile B to receive what the workshop builds, but only if of sufficiently high core quality.

Also set stockpile B to "give to" a second workshop that does the decorating.

Set stockpile C to receive what the second workshop produces, but only if of sufficiently high total quality.

Set up other stockpiles to receive stuff of inferior quality, so it won't pile up in the workshop and slow the workers down.

Set both workshops' profiles to only allow use by people of the highest relevant skill that you have.

There's no way to ensure that a workshop produces something of a given quality level, but the more skilled the worker, the more likely you'll get what you want.

If you're making stuff out of metal you can recycle the inferior quality products to get metal bars back.  If not metal, use them for trade goods or something.

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »

Argh, okay. Let's assume I can fix the stockpile problem, how do I get them to take from two piles, and only those? can I link two piles? Or do I have to set one pile to customly accept only finished gems AND the finished goods.

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »

I'm not perfectly clear on what you're asking, but maybe this is what you're looking for:

Set stockpile A to hold the materials you want to use to build the things, and set it to "give to" the workshop that builds them.

Set stockpile B to receive what the workshop builds, but only if of sufficiently high core quality.

Also set stockpile B to "give to" a second workshop that does the decorating.

Set stockpile C to receive what the second workshop produces, but only if of sufficiently high total quality.

Set up other stockpiles to receive stuff of inferior quality, so it won't pile up in the workshop and slow the workers down.

Set both workshops' profiles to only allow use by people of the highest relevant skill that you have.

There's no way to ensure that a workshop produces something of a given quality level, but the more skilled the worker, the more likely you'll get what you want.

If you're making stuff out of metal you can recycle the inferior quality products to get metal bars back.  If not metal, use them for trade goods or something.

I think this is kind of what I want, but I need to get this set up first to see if it is what I want, a little confusing. Thank you!

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:34 pm »

Argh, okay. Let's assume I can fix the stockpile problem, how do I get them to take from two piles, and only those? can I link two piles? Or do I have to set one pile to customly accept only finished gems AND the finished goods.
IIRC, when a stockpile is set to "give to a workshop", the workshop won't take from other piles - you have to have everything in the same stockpile, or the "give to" turned off.

This always gives me fits when I want a traction bench built out of specific kinds of components.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »

You can link two piles to one workshop, or vice versa, or two piles to two workshops. I think the limit is 6 or 7 -- I've never needed more than four links for any one worshop or stockpile.

Remember that links are exclusive -- if you have a workshop linked to stockpile A, stockpiles B to Z and beyond are ignored by the workshop.

Base quality looks only at the item itself, and overall quality looks at the item and the decorations and uses the highest.

-<<-item->>- = -quality-
*<<-item->>* = *quality*
-<<*item*>>- = *quality*
*<<*item*>>* = *quality*
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »

You can use minecarts to sort your stuff for you also. If you want the output goods to be of a certain quality (say clay statues), you can set up a minecart track to take items from the low quality stockpile and dump them into a pit filled with magma. I do this with socks and clothing...

Reminds me, I need to make some clothes for my fort. Bye.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:09 pm »

I set up four stockpiles and two jewelers workshops.  The first stockpile only takes raw gems, the second only takes cut gems and gives to the second jewelers workshop, the third is a stockpile that takes only the crafts (rings, scepters etal.) and also gives to the second jewelers workshop.  The last stockpile (which is by my trading post) only takes from links, takes from the second jewelers shop and takes crafts.  The first jewelers shop only cuts gems, the second only encrusts.  This way only the the crafts I want to be encrusted are and are sent to the trading post to be sold.  Also crafts are turned off on all other finished goods stockpiles in the fortress, so all the crafts get encrusted and then sold.

I don't bother messing with quality because I've always got gems and crafts to encrust and commonly 4 gemmed gold crafts can buy most everything I want from a caravan.  8 could probably buy the whole thing out.  Most value I've managed with a single craft was 8K iirc (That ended up as a gift to the Mountainhome).

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »

You can use minecarts to sort your stuff for you also. If you want the output goods to be of a certain quality (say clay statues), you can set up a minecart track to take items from the low quality stockpile and dump them into a pit filled with magma. I do this with socks and clothing...

Reminds me, I need to make some clothes for my fort. Bye.

I haven't even touched minecarts yet, the possibility for mayhem is so big.

I set up four stockpiles and two jewelers workshops.  The first stockpile only takes raw gems, the second only takes cut gems and gives to the second jewelers workshop, the third is a stockpile that takes only the crafts (rings, scepters etal.) and also gives to the second jewelers workshop.  The last stockpile (which is by my trading post) only takes from links, takes from the second jewelers shop and takes crafts.  The first jewelers shop only cuts gems, the second only encrusts.  This way only the the crafts I want to be encrusted are and are sent to the trading post to be sold.  Also crafts are turned off on all other finished goods stockpiles in the fortress, so all the crafts get encrusted and then sold.

I don't bother messing with quality because I've always got gems and crafts to encrust and commonly 4 gemmed gold crafts can buy most everything I want from a caravan.  8 could probably buy the whole thing out.  Most value I've managed with a single craft was 8K iirc (That ended up as a gift to the Mountainhome).

If I were to do platinum crafts I could probably easily eclipse that.. in any case, thanks for the setup idea! I'll try it out.