Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Microscope: Suggestion Scenes (Currently playing: ---)  (Read 692 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Microscope: Suggestion Scenes (Currently playing: ---)
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »

SO, if you pay any attention to my Microscope RPG report thread (link in sig), you may also know that apart from the main, Polish game (which for the moment seems to be in a coma, but we shall see) I am also playing the so-called Awesomescope, which is essentially a Microscope game set in the glorious Awesomenauts universe, where me and three other pals from across the world (a Pole, a Brit, an Aussie and a Romanian is a weirdly chaotic yet surprisingly epic mix) create a collaborative headcanon on the events predecessing the (fairly loose) lore of the 80s cartoon 2D MOBA.

One of the advantages of Microscope is that it can be used as a great base for other roleplaying-or-not games, and today I'm going to do exactly that. Except not really. Let me explain.

One of the problems we have when playing Awesomescope is that at best we can afford roleplaying one scene per session simply because they take a lot of our game time. While they're pretty fun to roleplay it's not feasible to have more than one non-dictated scene when we gather around on our Google doc.

And then I got this idea - why not take the most professional (clearly) roleplaying forum community and our fairly well-established canon and play some sceness without the struggle of waiting 5 minutes between everyone's reactions (this is less of an issue on the forums, thankfully)?
It could even be a win-win, and the scenes that are going to be played here can potentially end up as canon in Awesomescope for our future games.

If you're interested, take a look at our glorious spreadsheet for the insight on the game world.

If you're willing to participate, feel free to drop by here and suggest a scene that we'll be playing next using the following format:

[PERIOD AND EVENT]: In what time period does the scene take place and to what event is it tied to? (This is essentially a Microscope game but you are only allowed to create and participate in Scenes)
[QUESTION]: What is the main question we'll be trying to solve throughout the scene ("Did the king survive the siege?", "Why did the robots attack the station?", "Who assassinated the captain?" etc.) The scene ends when there's a definite answer to the question.
[LOCATION]: Where does the scene take place? (If you have some rudimentary Awesomenauts lore knowledge that's amazing, if not, it's not a problem, hopefully)
[CHARACTERS]: What kind of character do you demand to be participating in the scene? (A mad scientist, a four-armed squirrel mercenary, Ted McPain etc. - try to avoid demading specific characters unless they already appeared in the game (Spreadsheet has character list on the main page) and would not have to time travel to end up in the time period the scene is taking place in) You don't need to demand any characters at all, but try to not go overboard with them and demand a whole novel worth of people. 1-5 seems reasonable enough.

EDIT!
When making a scene, you also have to keep the current Focus (visible on Main page) in mind - the scene that you're trying to create has to tie in to the Focus in some relatively direct way. You also cannot make a scene if there's no event to put it in.

After a certain scene gets enough votes from others, you can then choose one of the demanded characters (and flesh them out a bit if they're ambiguous) or make your own (as long as it doesn't break the common laws of physics, even if Awesomenauts universe is fairly soft as far as sci-fi hardness goes).

After that, I'll try to get in touch with the creator of the "winner" scene via PMs and ask for some extra details. After all, I am your GM here and I need to know a little about what the person in question has in mind.

Also, assuming there's no contradicting scenes happening, I'll be updating the spreadsheet after our regular Microscope sessions, thus giving you more periods, events, scenes and characters to work with, as well as a new focus.

*phew*
I'm done rambling.
TL;DR Suggest small(ish) scenes taking place in the universe in the link above which we'll then roleplay which can then become canon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:03:03 pm by DarkDXZ »