Poll

Authoredmountains or Murderpaddles

Authoredmountains
- 6 (30%)
Murderpaddles
- 14 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: BLOODLINE! "Murderpaddles"  (Read 32682 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
BLOODLINE! "Murderpaddles"
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:58:18 am »

EDIT:
By popular vote, this is now known as the Bloodline of Murderpaddles! (7:3 vote. 20 voters. )
THE OVERSEERS
CaptainMcClellan ( as Urvad Arothiton ): Below
Shadow Hammer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.15
SanGennaro: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.30
itg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.30
CaptainMcClellan ( as Heisenberg ): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.45
Magnus: ( Skipped. )
pastafriend: ( Also skipped. )
SpookyDoctor: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.msg5130299#msg5130299
Spear: Skipped
SchmittLenin: Fortress destroyed by Were-giraffe, reloading from last save. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.150
CaptainArchmage: Notified.
Gwozdziuch:MIA
Lyeos: ( Skipped )
escondada: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135929.180
Skullsploder: Notified.

Current save: http://puu.sh/87z8D
Hi, I'm new here. ( Obligatory noob greeting complete. )
So anyways, I thought it would be fun to do a Bloodline/succession game. ( I was inspired by Boatmurdered, so here's hoping it doesn't go as fun as Boatmurdered did. At least, not until a few turns in. )
I've already started the save file. The fortress is called Ardesonol - "Authoredmountains". The "Murderpaddles" comes from an interesting strike of random number gen. My favourite little dwarf in adventure mode is Såkzul Murderpaddles. As it turns out, my metalsmith ( and now herbalist ) is also named Såkzul. So, being that Murderpaddles sounds much more fun than Authoredmountains, I'm thinking of calling the Bloodline Murderpaddles. I don't know how that works exactly, so my first task to ye merrie forum users is to ask, Authoredmountains or Murderpaddles?

Anyways, without any interesting story (yet) I will post the progress so far. Pictures will also come later. ( The following is in character as the expedition leader. )

It is the 16th of Granite, year 126, our band "The Twinkling Bolts" arrived succesfully, but so busy have been I that I have not been able to write a log entry. So... here you go. To be honest, I don't really know what goes in these logs. We have decent supplies... uh. Our good unskilled friend, who's name starts with a D maybe? Has graciously "volunteered" to unload the wagon. Everybody else has got straight to work doing what they're good at. The wood-cutter is mercilessly hewing away at every stinking tree within my eye-shot, I told him to cut down more that we need. Just to piss off the elves, y'know. The miners have already struck several nice mineral deposits, including rubies! The engraver is mercilessly destroying all those pesky boulders, and until we have a working forge , out metalsmith is out foraging. As for me, I've been making chairs and beds and stuff in preparation of the dining hall and my nice office. Oh... I'm so ready for my office to be here. You don't even know how ready I am. Anyways, everybody's busy, all's well, and I have a really good feeling about this place. I look forward to my food and drink tonight and to delve superior mountain homes in this place. Even the name has a nice ring to it, "Authoredmountains".

EDIT: Also, if you're like me you get bored between turns. So, check out this guy's fort:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136779.0

EDIT EDIT: Geartouched is now defunct, and has passed to me. Pastafriend ran into some real life issues, which is also why he could not complete his turn here sadly. So, check out the Geartouched revival thread instead, there should be a link somewhere on the original. the link is right here! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137599.msg5151958#msg5151958

If you still don't have enough to do between playing multiple Succession Forts, school, and other activities, then I can suggest any number of fun activities and video games for somewhat more morbid-minded people.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:10:26 pm by CaptainMcClellan »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: BLOODLINE! "Authoredmountains"/"Murderpaddles"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »

Sounds cool. I'd like to join as an overseer.
I think that either name would be fine. Murderpaddles does sound better, but Authoredmountains makes more sense... If you really can't decide, flip a coin.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »

Sure! No problem! I'm in Autumn right now and I've been lax in posting updates. So I'll post through Summer. And I meant to add a poll. I think I did it to the other thread. ( I accidentally double-posted. )

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:17 am »

Interesting setting, please go on!

I'll be following and, if possible, I'd like to play a turn.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:26:48 am »

I'm in for a turn, if possible. Been meaning to join a succession game for a while now.

I actually like Authoredmountains better than murderpaddles. It has a nice ring, and the whole "murder" thing has been a bit overdone, in my opinion.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:36:04 am »

Nice. Got the fellows hauling gems to a temporary storage space outside. Dangerous? Maybe. But the miners have their own ideas about priority, so the entrance hall is mostly not there yet. I'll have to get on them later about that, but at least they're working. Everybody's working, except for right now when I'm writing this. By the way, I have a list of everybody's name now.

Since Doren decided 'twas a good idea to fish, I might as well have him build a fishery so he can clean and gut fish all day. I'm sure there's more important things he could be doing right now, but I can't think of any. I'll put it nice and close by the brook delta for the fellow. And since he was so kind to "volunteer" himself, I'll be sure to relieve all the others of fish duty! Haha! Also, I know what. Since he's a mere peasant, might as well have him do the cooking. Ah... this is some mediocre booze. Oh! And the brewing, yeah! We need a still ASAP. This booze'll only last so long. Eh, Thukkan Silverwalks might provide some in the way of a cask rolling down the mountain, but that kind of thing is totally impossible, right?

I really hope this works... I'd hate to go the way of my uncle. "Crazy Urist", they called him. "Ye can't settle glaciers" they told him. He died and was never heard from again. Not even so much mentioned in the legends... That's why I've got to make sure my expedition party is a huge success and heralded in legend and song for centuries to come. Ah, people will remember the name Urvad Magichalls!

ABOUT URVAD:

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

@itg: Sure. I was actually worried I wouldn't have players available, but I seem to have them lined up.

Mm. In-game, I'm already to Autumn, but I don't know if I should post all of that at once. Probably I should.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:44 am »

24th Granite:

The boys stop for a drink while I haul wood. I record this to prove that as an exhibition leader, I actually do stuff instead of just bossing people around! That's the thing I always heard about expedition leaders and administrators back in my day as a merchant and diplomat for Akestlitast. ( "The Dominant Torch". ) I guess it was those wonderful days back in my twenties and thirties that inspired me to lead a colony. After Urist, the general was loth to trust the name "Magichalls", but the queen actually spoke up on my behalf. I guess she's heard of this area and has high hopes for the riches in this place. So the queen gave me some funds from her own coffers, and finally... here I am, living the dream. I just hope old Suvascatten can get the boot out of his rear and think to send me some troops. I don't like the idea of leaving the place unguarded and I don't really have any military supplies to make my own militia... but... I'm sure we'll be fine. This land is nice, serene, well stocked, and surprisingly void of wild animals. Ach! I got so caught up in updating the log, I lost track of time! Back to hauling wood.

27th Granite:
Excellent! One of my dwarves, Sakzul the Metalsmith, has discovered a massive cavern system. Wait... that could be bad. What if something's living in the caverns? Well... it seems safe so far. I'll leave it for another month. We should have food enough for the rest of spring, but I need to begin the constructions on some kind of farm. From Sakzul's report, the cavern is very rich in minerals and spans several levels. I think we need to worry more about delving out living space on the upper levels first.

1st slate: Ach. The lower levels of the caverns Sakzul discovered? They are completely flooded. Shame, I was hoping to get to the fabled "bottom of the world". I suppose it was just a myth anyway... And it frees up my diggers for tasks that are honestly more important anyway. Like delving out our living halls.
http://s23.postimg.org/7lm6uhwd7/flooded_cavern.png

6th: Ah! It's raining. Well... That is unfortunate. The living caverns still aren't finished! I have ordered everyone without jobs to begin meeting inside and had the woodcutter build a wood stove.

12th: At last! The rain has stopped. I can't believe it rained for a week.

24th Slate: A month passes rather uneventfully. It's amazing how quickly things can get dreary around here. Onul, my close friend, has told me that he is tired of the lack of chairs. Well... if the miners would hurry up with the carving of the hall! Ah, but... I can't be discouraged. This may be a far cry from the royal halls but this place is mine. Utterly mine. And it will be amazing and beautiful. Then, my name will be honourable enough to go down in the legends of our people. It is a good thing that the Magichall name will be allowed back into legend, instead of censored...

4th of Felsite: Living halls nearly done. Going to build the farm in there, directly beside the dorms. Lower and upper levels still being craved. Much to do, much to do. All this industry makes me happy.

10th Felsite: We've been really busy this month... but we hit lapis lazuli! Also... apparently there was an angry wolverine. Meng was telling me about it. It went away though, so I guess that's that. Not much else. I expect the rest of Felsite to pass this uneventfully. industriously.

19th: A few days back, in perparation for the farm that the miners are soon to delve out, I had Doren go ahead and build a still. Today, he completed it. Huzzah! More booze!

1st Hematite: Ah! It's now summer! And everything's behind schedule! The farms aren't delved, the dorms haven't been set up and nothing's been hauled inside! Ah well, just gotta take a deep breath and keep mining. I've got three guys on the job. How long could it take? I've got an area allocated underground for a forge and metals workshop, where it's nice and quiet. However, since it seems that most of our digging seems to be going on near the surface, I think we're just going to make that the dorms for now. No sense making the dwarves sleep outside any longer than necessary.

8th Hematite: The Dormatory is partially complete, it has two beds, two tables, two chairs and an unfinished wood stove.

1st Malachite: Well, Hematite has come and gone. Things are still going well. I decided to treat myself, and diverted the miners into carving me a tiny little office. 'Ta'int much, but it's a start. Still gotta get the door and most important, the desk put in.

9th Malachite: Some migrants have arrived! Armok save the queen! And maybe I misjudged Suvascatten. He sent a ranger with the band. Quite a large band too, six able bodied dwarves and three children. We welcome the help. Now I can have the metalsmith focus on other things.
10th Malachite: I've made the ranger our militia commander.

19th Malachite: Everything is working nicely! Except the farming. Turns out, farming needs soil. Which is why I can't farm inside the cavern. What I didn't already know is, all of our seed is for Dark terrain plants! As soon as I can, I need to get someone digging down underground. I think I know just the dwarf too. See, there is among us, one of the rarest of all creatures: a swimming dwarf. Surely he can brave the aquifer filled lowlands!
Oh and, as of today, I'm relieving myself of all extraneous duties to focus more on administrative tasks. Like, for instance, finding out just how much food we have left. With 16 mouths to feed, a food shortage would not bode well. The original seven, including myself, are already a bit disgruntled as is. However, I have one last task: I must haul the rest of the beds down to the dormitory.

27th Malachite: I have finished my office, taken count of our goods and determined that we will be out of food before the end of summer at this rate. This in mind, it is time to start digging for a place to farm. This is highest priority.

21st-22nd Galena: Why. The. Hell. Is. A. F***ING KEA INTERRUPTING THE WALLS!? C'MON!!! I need those walls built so that I can create an artificial dark-house to grow Plump Helmets in!
AND NOW THE DAMN THING STOLE ONE OF MY GIANT CORKSCREWS! How is that even possible!? The thing is larger than two of me stacked on top of each other! And it was stolen. By a kea. I need a drink...
~OOC: It's late, I'm tired. Tomma I gotta read up on burrows and militias so that I can set my ranger to hunt that stupid kea with EXTREME PREJUDICE. I seriously need to get that dark-house built. NOW. My poor li'l dorfs need food. I would like to have the dark-house done by at least mid-way through the first month of Autumn. If I can survive on fishing and foraging though, I can always trade all the nice gems I have conveniently available on the surface for all the food the caravan is carrying.~
TODO:
-Make burrow
-Kill kea
-Finish Darkhouse
-Plant boucoup Plump Helmets
-Move all the resources inside.

On a more positive note: We have enough booze to last until a little bit into next year. Good thing I sacrificed a little bit of dwarf skill for extra! XD Man oh man, I wouldn't want to be the next player. I can keep the dwarfies alive until next Granite, and then I hope to pass it on to a more experienced player. I wonder what ol' Magichalls will think of the capital sending in an overseer. Hehe. Like Boatmurdered, I plan to leave one dwarf named for me, just not necessarially in this go around. Ideally, I'd like it to be the child of Magichalls but hey, I might just settle for the dwarf himself. Or one of the children. I don't really want to name a dwarf over 50 as my dorf. I'd like to think my dorf is both around and influential in years to come. I hope that eventually I can get some Murderpaddles in. Heheh. Then the Bloodline really begins. Can you imagine it? Kells Murderpaddles? It fits like a glove. Like a human glove fits a kobold. :D

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:19 am »

Oops, forgot to show you the Kea.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:31 am »

13th Sandstone:

Well, we've got a lot of wealth and a dearth of food. The dark room is nearly complete. So this winter, we should have lots of plump helmets. Starting today, I'm going to have everyone start hauling everything in. Things are going really well, and the children are pretty alright. I guess. A little loud when I'm trying to work, but not near as much trouble as I thought they'd be.

19th Sandstone:

28th Sandstone:

Apparently, I was reelected leader. Also, I've reprioritized everyone to work on the Dark house. Soon we will have lovely Plump Helmets by the barrel.

1st Timber:

Metal production begins. Dark House nearly done.

17th Timber:

A trade caravan has arrived! We're saved! We can trade all these useless shiny rocks for food. I'm headed right over to the Depot as soon as I'm done updating the stockpile records.

23rd Timber:
Dark House is finally complete!

1st Moonstone:
Having fallen behind in my paper-work, I had to allow the Jeweler to trade. We buy out their supply of Plump Helmets and several fish.

5th Moonstone:
The trading is done. We have sufficient food for the next year and we have more bolts for our ranger.
http://s4.postimg.org/4504b24l9/Status2.png

14th Moonstone:
We've struck gold!
Ah! A diplomat is here. One Reg Emendastot. I hope all the discussions go well for us and that our fame will spread in the Mountainhomes.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:30 am »

2nd Obsidian: I'm sorry, I've fallen behind in my logs again. It's been so busy. Besides... I don't think I shall be in charge much longer. The diplomat seemed somewhat unimpressed with my rule. I don't see why, we're a prosperous hamlet that is producing much riches for the crown. ( And ourselves. ) I don't want to go... There's so much I haven't done yet...

We still have no farm, though upon reexamination, I think I found another spot suitable to the growing of Plump Helmets. So in what will likely be my last month as the leader of Authoredmountains, I am making a last ditch effort to get this done. Along with construction of a well. Stream water just isn't good enough. Oh and, I had to reassign Urvad Pleatoils to brewing. There's a tragic shortage of alcohol. My birthday is coming up.

17th: Reg Emendastot, our outpost liasion, met with me today. I told him we needed rock nut seeds. I think they can grow in sunlight. I also told him we needed iron and also some large serrated disks for trap making. Not that there's much to catch in a trap yet. Although, if I can, I'd like to build more doors on our passages to the outside. And, of course, I expect to have them all booby-trapped by the end of next Autumn latest... If I am still in command.

21st Obsidian: We have struck catseye.

23rd Obsidian: Today is my birthday... Noone bothers to remember. Worse, today's the day they take it all away. A message was sent to me, they are installing another leader. Overseer, they call it. I get to keep my positions... temporarially. He'll be here either in the Spring or the summer. I don't know who he is, but I only hope he runs this place with as much heart as I did. I won't complain, I'll step down honorably. Especially in case this is one of those types that likes to take the bloody approach to problem solving. All and all, I have a lot to be happy about. I even managed to acquire a small bedroom next to my office, making me the first and only Dwarf in this whole fortress to have his own bedroom. :) You might say I abused my management authority, but it was worth it. Especially in light of the letter I got. So, that's it then. That's my gift to me, Urvad Magichalls's private hall. If only I had been able to get a kitchen or a dining room. I would have liked to impress my new commander. But I got a lot done this year, and I feel pretty good about it.

Speaking of, a list of my accomplishments is in order, I should like to have them engraved in my room. I'll have to speak with Udib about it. We've been friends for a while now. I might think about... trying to make a move.

My accomplishments:
-Made a dorm.
-Prepared a relatively central fortress.
-Built several workshops.
-Kept everyone alive.

What still probably needs to be done:
-Finding a suitable farming location
-Building a functioning kitchen
-Optimizing food storage, growing, and cooking. ( As well as brewing. )
-Purchasing livestock.
-Build up the military.
-Build up the defenses.

Final state of the fortress. ( For historical record, if nothing else. )

10th Granite: The overseer's late. Well, if he was supposed to get here on the first of the year anyway. He's a day off now. Lucky thing he was late. It gave me time to prepare a dwarf-worthy stock of booze and get that drink I'd been missing. We'll definitely be ready for whatever the new overseer has for us. Tommorrow we'll find out.

His being late also gave me the chance, even though I had to pull people out of their regular jobs, to get my room looking really nice. The walls have been smoothed. And Udib... Udib gave me a wonderful surprise. I asked her to engrave something on my wall so that it would look befitting of an official's room. And she... she made an exquisite carving of me being surrounded and cheered by all of us! I don't think she'll ever know what this means to me, but now I can really be ok handing over power. In my heart, I'll always have this. And in the hearts of the original six that came with me, I will always be the leader of Ardesonol. We stuck it together through food shortage and booze shortage. We worked hard and accomplished much. Not a single dwarf died under my rule... that sets the bar for the next overseer. So what if Magichalls is not the glorious leader of Ardesonol? I will live on in the history of our people. I guess I ought to join the little squad we have.

And Udib... As soon as I am able, I am going to show you just what this means to me. Don't forget about me, alright?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:37 am »

CaptainMcClellan's epilogue to Chapter 1:

And so, Urvad Arothiton conquered his disappointment at the prospects of being put under charge of an Overseer. He gained a new hope that he might soon have a lover. In the distance a ox-drawn wagon carried in it the new Overseer of Authoredmines who will realize his own ambitions and the mandates of the Mountainhomes for the glory of all Akestlitast. ( Translated, that is "The Dominant Torch" an optimistic name for a great Dwarven civilization. )

CaptainMcClellan's requests to future overseers:
- Try and see to it that Urvad Arothiton and Udib Cudistber marry. Use clever zoning tricks or something to see that they have plenty of time to socialize.
- I'm renaming Sakzul Berdanobok "Kells". ( For McClellan and/or the Book of) Try to keep him alive as he will be who I play as when I take my next turn. ( He's nine, so that'd be like four turns before I go again, which should give plenty of time for those who've shown interest so far to get their turns in. And hopefully make a better fortress than I have made! XD )
-Don't ever remove Urvad from his home.
-Please... no lava-based WMD's if at all possible. I'd like the place to still look nice and regal when I return. Plus it's polite to the next player.
-Keep the profanity to a minimum, preferably PG-13.
-When you get there or before you leave, see to it that you have a dorfy avatar of your own. I like the idea of us having stories after we leave.

That's it! You're free to do to the Authoredmountains as you please. You may even remove Urvad from his multiple positions and appoint your own chosen dwarfs, but he'll probably be elected Mayor as soon as the population gets up a little more. Dude's pretty much the sole management of the place and apparently decently popular. Also, as a plot telling device, I will post small segments of Urvad's personal journal in response to what I can gather from your updates. At least, up to the point he dies. So try to make it easier for me by being as specific as you can, but it is a game, not a chore. I'll fill in the gaps with my imagination and by examining the fortress before handing it onto the next Overseer. ( So when you give the file to the next player, be sure I can get it too. )

Next up: ShadowHammer! I look forward to seeing your results.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8633edddwzkk9k/Authoredmountains.zip

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:39 am »

Looks like a decent fort so far. I will start my turn later today, because I just woke up.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 12:07:16 pm »

@ShadowHammer: It is. ( And thank you. ) The dwarf's job delegations are the main thing that's mixed up. I pretty much played in the manner of "You! I see you not working! This is now your job!" Or "You! Why are you hauling stuff? I need fifty people smoothing/building this wall STAT." And I didn't really bother to fix it, so their job tasks are random at best and not really corresponding to their titles. I hope you use Dwarf Therapist, because it'll make it a lot easier to re-specialize. ( If you so choose, you can also do what I did. )To be honest, I didn't really know what to do with all the farmers and fishmongers. Eight of them showed up and I'm like... "I don't have a farm and I don't need you to fish because there's no point." So I just gave them generic tasks in efforts for zero idlers. Especially in the case where I have everybody hauling stuff back and forth and/or gathering plants.  ( Hopefully by my next turn I'm better at managing the dwarves and using the management systems. This is only my fourth dwarf fortress, so I'm still out of my depth on many things. That's why I'm glad to hand it over to a more experienced Overseer.)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 04:57:17 am »

I really want in on this. Excellent stuff so far!
Can I be the next overseer? I promise to do good and lead our dwarves to glory.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16