Poll

Authoredmountains or Murderpaddles

Authoredmountains
- 6 (30%)
Murderpaddles
- 14 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: BLOODLINE! "Murderpaddles"  (Read 32658 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: BLOODLINE! "Authoredmountains"/"Murderpaddles"
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:02 am »

@Magnus: I have to see if Sangrenno is still interested. If not, then sure, you can be next. If so, you'll be after him. There's also some people who I know in person who might want a turn, but I'll probably still let you go before them. And thanks again. :3

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:32 am »

Currentorder:
CaptainMcClellan - done
ShadowHammer - playing
sangennaro - confirmed request
itg - confirmed request
Magnus - confirmed request
Bean? - tentative request
CaptainMcClellan? - depends on who else requests a turn.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:36 pm »

A brief summary of the first half of my turn.
---

The military was rather lacking when I arrived at this fortress, but otherwise it was respectable. Shortly after I got here, a massive wave of immigrants arrived. This raised our population to over 80 dwarves, unfortunately 40 of them are children who refuse to work.

I started up a small military, filling a full squad of ten marksdwarves with recently migrated hunters, and made two training squads of melee dwarves. I am one of these soldiers, wielding a warhammer.

I have ordered a large bedroom complex, with enough space for every dwarf to have their own personal room.

Good thing I started up that military...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To be continued...

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 02:19:04 am »

Oh boy, here they come!
I propose we make a giant pit right outside the fortress door that we dump all our corpses in. That way, if they resurrect they've got nowhere to go, and may be usable as target practice later on. Maybe setup a drawbridge that chucks stuff into it, to resupply it with fresh elves nobles goblins!
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:03:01 am »

XD I wondered when the undead would show up. Guess what? You live right next to a Necromancer's Tower. And when I say "right next to", I mean it's literally on the next tile over from the edge of the embark site. I wanted it to be a surprise.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 09:06:29 am »

SURPRISE!  :D

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:06 pm »

Due to well executed military strategy, we were able to hold off the zombies with only one casualty (not including the elven merchants). The marksdwarves were stationed at the main entrance, and all other doors were locked. Due to a shortage in bolts, I kept an eye on our archers quivers, and as soon as they ran out, I ordered them off duty. The zombies were forced to charge through a hail of bolts to reach us, and not one of them survived it. The only death on our side occurred when a marksdwarf decided to run the wrong way when he was taken off duty.

Also,
SURPRISE!  :D

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »

Excellent! Well done.

And yeah. :D It wouldn't be DF if there wasn't some aspect on insane difficulty challenge.

Who was the dwarf who died?

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 05:56:12 pm »

@CaptainMcClellan : yep, still interested! Good job in managing the first year of the fort!

@ShadowHammer : glad to see you fended off the zombie menace! Keep killing 'em!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »

The dead dwarf was a recent immigrant of little importance.
In other news...

The rest of the year passed without any incidents as major as that one, but there were still some events to take note of.

We have begun forging great quantities of metal, mainly iron bolts for the marksdwarves, who are going through our stock very quickly during their practice shooting. All of the melee soldiers have weapons, but only the first squad of two have armor. It is full steel, though, and mostly decently well crafted.

A dwarf had a fey mood and created something very useful, an artifact door. The unrivaled craftsdwarfship means that no enemy will ever be able to break it down.

We had a small incident involving a lack of food, but fortunately the human caravan was here so we bought a large quantity of food. We still need to stabilize alcohol production.

A refuse pit has been created and much stuff got chucked in. I have run out of time to complete it, so there are still some corpses left outside, and some of the corpses in the pit have wings, so they could create a major problem if a necromancer decided to lead the next siege.

Another unfinished project that the next overseer might want to continue is a large burial chamber, with separate wings for soldier's graves and civilians. The next overseer can organize it however they want.

Well, due to the Granite Pact of 125, I have to give up my position as overseer at the beginning of each year, perhaps to be reinstated at a later date. I hope that the next overseer, Sangennaro, will continue building our military into a formidable force, along with increasing the general awesomeness of the fortress as a whole.

save

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »

Thank you ShadowHammer for stepping down as planned.

I hereby agree to manage the fortress for only one year and step down on the 1st Granite of the year 129.

I hope to be as worthy as my two predecessors were. I have looked over the documents you left for me and have drawn a general plan of action.

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »

Prologue:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next parts will be up soon (hopefully)!!

PS: the image is quite blur compared to the one that I uploaded, if anyone knows how a good way to host an image file preserving its quality, pls let me kno!

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:04 am »

Nicely presented sangennaro! :D

Tell me, if you would, how's Urvad? Your prologue seems to hint that he's been a bit of trouble. Also, how's little tyke Kells?

Anyway.
~ Hundreds of years later ~
A single adventurer wanders the depths of a place once called Ardesonol. A book has been found with a tattered cover. Several pages are missing. Many more appear to have been submerged in water. It is believed this is what remains of the second log of Urvad Magichalls. Taking the book, some legendary artifacts, and some nice gems, he fled from the sounds he heard coming from below. The adventurer made his way home with his new gear, only to be ambushed by kobolds. They attack and managed to steal his backpack. He chased them back to their camp and killed them, but not without significant injury to himself. The worst was an arrow to his lung.
The adventurer did not dare remove the arrow, lest he suffocate on his own blood. He reclaimed his backpack, and took the kobold's valuables as spoil. At last, the tired dwarf, with his bloodsoaked clothes and pack, arrived back at the ancient Mountainhomes. Here he retired, collapsing on the door to the Mountainhome. Carried inside by his folk, he was brought to the hospital. After extensive treatment and some exceedingly quality surgery, the dwarf began to recover. He requested the book be brought to him and a fresh one besides.
Over the next few days the dwarf worked on preserving what he could recover of the tale of the second year. It seemed that things were tense on the young second year. The adventurer drew courage from the tale of the legendary Shadow Hammer, and made note that this seemed to be the first ever mention of the ancient hero. He worked for hours on in, diluting pain with stout labour, albeit not the dwarf's usual kind.
Alas for that dwarf! The wound's suture was not so good as the surgery. Within a few days the dwarf was flush with fever and the wound seeping ooze. As the days went on, he began to refuse food and drink, becoming singularly obsessed with his work. He became quite irritable, prone to throwing the bucket back at those who so kindly offered it. His writing grew more and more illegible and unintelligible as the illness took him.
This dwarf, taken of a fell mood, wrote on. When the doctor tried to remove the book in hopes the patient would rest, the dwarf struck him down. He got up for the first time in weeks, fell to the floor, dropping the book onto the floor. Using the doctor's own knife, he skinned him, the blood seeping into the pages. He rebound the book in dwarf-skin and copied down the last two pages, written in a mix of ink and blood. At last, his life's work "The Second Journal of Urvad Magichalls" was complete. Then he died on the ground from the infection.
This tome was stored in the library of the mountainhalls, puzzled over by historians. By and large they were more concerned with the history of the book itself, rather than the history it told. After all, what had caused the dwarf to become so enamored with so standard a story? Was it the raids from the Necromancer's tower? It must  have been this, because why else would a Dwarf be struck with such a mood?
The result, however, was this: Historians of the Mountainhomes sent out warrior and archaeologist to find all of the journals of Urvad Magichalls. The first already lie in the library of the Mountainhomes, having been dutifully sent back to the Queen to let her know all was well. Along with a very eloquent letter, which was perserved with it. The librarians and archaeologists searched for the remaining journals. The finding of those, while not as dramatic as the infamous Second Journal, was itself recorded in the Tales of Ardesonol, along with the tales of many of the Overseers of the place. These are all stories for another time.
~An excerpt from "Concerning the Second Journal of Ardesonol", with near identical text to the page in the later "Tales of Ardesonol" concerning the same.~
"The book is quite elegant, if horrendous. Noone knew that Dodok was such a skilled Craftsdwarf. Many attest that he was possessed by some sort of deity, others that he had always been so but never had the inspiration to make anything of it. If one forgets that the book is bound in dwarf-skin... it is really quite beautiful. Engraved into the thick hide taken from the late Sakzul are several dwarves fighting valiantly against the undead horde. There are also strange symbols and in the center of the front, what appears to be Urvad Magichalls cowering behind the Shadow Hammer, whose name and legend has been refreshed by this book. The writing is gripping, growing ever more fanatic as Dodok's mind left him. Many parts are boring and dry, telling only of day to day events, but horribly lacunose. It is unclear how much was recovered of the journals, but the tale of the fight against the undead has since inspired new songs. Dodok's recounting itself is rather level considering the furor with which he wrote it..."

And so on and so forth, analyzing the writing, going into further detail on the craftsdwarfship. Even taking stabs at dwarven psychoanalysis of Dodok, including several mentions that Dodok ought to have been given alcohol rather than water. However, the author admits if that had happened, the tome would probably not exist in the form it does.
~
(And when I write the journals, I'll post those. Hopefully I shall have them done by today. At least, the Second Journal. I obviously can't complete the Third until Sangennaro's turn ends. )

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 02:29:39 am »

I don not want to be overseer only dorfed.

Thantos was formerly an adventure known for his fury he threw at his eniemies people called him the mortal god of death. He always is smoking a cigarette. He wears long black pants, black gloves, black cloak. which allows you to only see his mouth his sea green eyes and his cigarette
. He is a male swordsforf. Who fights with precision strikes. He knows where to strike because his mother was a vet and surgeon wo taught him the anatomy of all creatures. His father abused him constantly so when he turned 18 Thantos joined the fortress guard. Soon the fort was invaded by goblins and he was the only survivor. Then he became a adventurer.( he has a long fuse for his temper but it is a very bad one. He is usually calm and let's out his emotions in combat. His sole focus is survival. Has a large interest in military history. Knows all military history of all species

We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 03:28:05 am »

I don not want to be overseer only dorfed.

Thantos was formerly an adventure known for his fury he threw at his eniemies people called him the mortal god of death. He always is smoking a cigarette. He wears long black pants, black gloves, black cloak. which allows you to only see his mouth his sea green eyes and his cigarette
. He is a male swordsforf. Who fights with precision strikes. He knows where to strike because his mother was a vet and surgeon wo taught him the anatomy of all creatures. His father abused him constantly so when he turned 18 Thantos joined the fortress guard. Soon the fort was invaded by goblins and he was the only survivor. Then he became a adventurer.( he has a long fuse for his temper but it is a very bad one. He is usually calm and let's out his emotions in combat. His sole focus is survival. Has a large interest in military history. Knows all military history of all species

Literally "God-playing" here.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16