Poll

Authoredmountains or Murderpaddles

Authoredmountains
- 6 (30%)
Murderpaddles
- 14 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: BLOODLINE! "Murderpaddles"  (Read 32684 times)

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
Re: BLOODLINE! "Authoredmountains"/"Murderpaddles"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »

no. people called him that from the way he releases all of his emotions in combat but other then that he is very calm. he does not call himself that i don't expect other people to do either. its what people called him and he does not have powers
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:49 am »

Hey guys,

just posting to submit my end-of-turn save. Haven't completed my log yet, but didn't want to slow down the game.

The log will follow in a few hours :)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=8423&f=end+of+turn+3+save.rar

On with the game!

@CaptainMcClellan: can you update the turn list, and possibly put it on the first page? Also, if possible, I'd like to play another turn when possible!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:04:31 am by sangennaro »

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 07:48:10 am »

My report:

Part I:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part II:

Part III:

Tour of the fort:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:01:30 pm by sangennaro »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:19 pm »

Erm... the first spoiler appears empty to me, and the other threes' images don't show up on my computer.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:56 am »

I'm ready to take over! Should have an early report up later tonight.

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:15 am »

@ShadowHammer : tried on 2 other pc (with different internet connections) and they work.

@ITG: if you can't see the spoilers as well: CARE there's an ambush going on!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 03:17:05 am »

Don't worry, we took care of that ambush, no problem. In other news, some jackass built the front gate wrong...

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 03:57:24 am »

Heyo.

@jrrocks: Yeah, sure. Just don't expect any special treatment.

@Sangennaro: Yea. I'll do that. And sure. But first gotta let everyone else take their turns. Mm. Currently, the overseers are:
CaptainMcClellan - done
ShadowHammer - done
sangennaro -done
itg - playing
Magnus - confirmed request

I don't see where anyone else has shown interest so far, but if they do then they'll come first. After that, I plan to take my next turn, and other reclaims are up for discussion.

As for me, what I'm doing is:
-Writing Urvad's journal for years 2&3
-Writing a (short) dwarven epic about the battle with the undead.

More info:
In case you haven't been paying attention to the few posts I put up, I'm writing a narration of the fortress from Urvad's point of view. So I'm going to go through the legends of each save vers as well as the info provided by each player to formulate Urvad's responses. As per the epic... It's a personal experiment to write an epic poem in the Dwarvish Tongue. ( Kind of... I had to meddle with it a little as the languages in Dwarf Fortress are woefully under-developed. Some things are adapted from Nordic, Old English, German, etc. or just plain made-up with the intention of sounding "Dwarfy". ) To be clear, the poem is pretty bad. The rhyme scheme is inconsistent, the meter is anyone's guess, and the number of syllables per line varies from stanza to stanza. However, Dwarven is apparently a ridiculously cumbersome tongue in its current state and I don't feel like trying to deduce, extrapolate, and formulate Dwarfy grammar and linguistics. Plus, some rhymes had to be sacrificed just for the sake of what fits there best meaning-wise. As an example, the second stanza:

"Da Shed-im-Nil sav-ot u-sith
Sa-vot tak zo-luth dem zag-ithe
Dem kom-man vas ge-dor a-kam
Ihn su-bet daar mїsh-ak a-rist "

which translates:

"The Shadow Hammer stood grim
Stanced to combat the devils
Their coming was ill fortune
And swift their speechless assault"

I will say this, when recited aloud in a nice dramatic fashion, it sounds pretty good. So screw my high school composition and literature teacher and her insistence of form poetry writing. Sure, it's no Shakespeare, but eh, it measures up pretty decently to Tolkien's rendering of "The Lay of the Völsungs" so I call it a victory.

Which sounds nice and dramatic, hmm?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 04:07:59 am »

Hehe... You might not want to get too attached to Urvad just yet. Fun may or may not have occurred.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:35 am »

Haha, that's alright. I guess it just means that I only have to write two journals. Ah well. I was hoping to get more. Is Kells still alive at least? ( He's who I'm coming back as, so it's kinda important. )

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 04:29:41 am »

Little Kells is on his way to Kiddie Valhalla. He died in glorious battle against his fellow children. I'm halfway through the year, so I'll post a report before moving on, but that report might have to wait until tomorrow--there's a lot to, well, report.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 04:36:34 am »

:O NO! * CaptainMcClellan went Stark Raving Mad *

Wow... Yeah, sounds like it. Just what did you do?

Hehheh. It's almost dwarven tradition though. 4th year=everything goes to hell.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 05:11:22 am »

Hehe, I take no responsibility for the many deaths that have occurred. If the front drawbridge worked (or if I at least knew it didn't work), or if someone hadn't let the children socialize, none of this would have happened.

Edit: I could let Urvad or Kell come back as a ghost, if you like. The idea of a ghostly historian is kinda cool, actually.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

@ShadowHammer : tried on 2 other pc (with different internet connections) and they work.

@ITG: if you can't see the spoilers as well: CARE there's an ambush going on!
Okay I see them now. I guess my commuter was just being temporarily stupid.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »

Editor's note: The tone might be a bit grim, but I enjoyed the first half of this turn immensely. I probably harp on the defective drawbridge too much, but keep in mind it made this year much more entertaining. All dates are fudged, but the season and relative order of events is right.

Overseer's log, Granite 1st: My term as overseer of Authoredmountains has begun with a bang. My predecessor term technically ended mid-battle, so he just walked off and went to bed, leaving our soldiers to fend for themselves. They had to drag me out of bed to give the orders. We may not be well equipped or experienced, but we fought bravely, slaughtering all the goblins and losing only the hand of one wrestler. We later discovered that a fisherdwarf on a midnight stroll had been run down by the goblins, as well. Let us hope his death does not set the tone for this year.

Granite 8th: Our new mayor, Urist, was always an odd one, but for the first time, I am starting to fear him. He knows too much; he's been speaks of places on opposite ends of the world as if he were actually there--and for once, I actually believe him. Worst of all, when he thinks no one is watching, I see him gazing at others with a certain...hunger. I don't have any legal grounds for putting him in prison, so, well, I locked him in his bedroom "for his own safety." From what, I don't know. People are already starting to ask questions, but I just have to keep him locked up long enough to show signs of dehydration... or not, if I am correct.

Granite 18th: Over the past few years, our fort has become a comfortable home, but we must not become complacent. In the name of progress, I have decided to re-open the staircase through the caverns and gain access to the magma sea. It did not take long; the staircase to the warm stone was already dug, so we just had to mine out a room for the magma forges.

Granite 23rd: Naked mole dogs got into the fort, causing widespread annoyance. Shadowhammer has begun to valiantly bash their skulls in.

Slate 12th: One of our miners made a fascinating discovery. His beardsense picked up a wall underneath the magma made of a... curious type of stone. It appears to be just a small part of a larger structure. I feel...drawn to investigate this curious structure further.

Slate 15th: The minotaur Rulac somethingsomething (I swear he had a speech impediment) has come! The beast was a terrifying foe, but his horns and fists were no match for our steel.

Slate 19th: Kumil Blockadebirds, the weaver, has demanded we build a clothery. Fine, fine, I've been meaning to get one built soon, anyways. Kumil began rushing around, gathering materials from all over the fort, and she came out with... a bag. A pretty nice one, too, with a picture of a dwarf bravely slaughtering a goblin peace emissary. Not sure what all the fuss was about, but the quality of her cloth has improved quite a bit since then.

Slate 25th: The miners have the discovered the entrance to that curious structure. They found it swarming with the shuffling corpses of hundreds of antmen, ratmen, and the like. It was truly a horrible sight to behold, but still, the structure has a certain dark elegance. I can't help but feel that this could be our true home...

Spoiler: Our true home (click to show/hide)

Felsite 2nd: Months into his confinement, Urist still pounds the door and demands to be released. The fool never realized his ability to protest after two months proves his status as a vampire. We no longer speak of Urist. No one has even dared to claim the mayor's title from him, perhaps out of fear of retribution, lest he escape.

Felsite 12th: Almost as if called by their undead brethren, a horde of zombies has been sighted on the horizon. I would not see our military face them in open combat, so I have ordered everyone inside. We will raise the drawbridge and take potshots as necessary, then mop up the remainder with our melee dwarves.

Felsite 13rd: Oh dear.

Felsite 18th: I do not know whether it was incompetence or sabotage, but when I pulled the drawbridge lever, instead of raising to block the main hallway, it slid smoothly into the floor, leaving us totally unprepared and totally exposed. Our soldiers fought bravely, but several did not survive the assault.

Then the goblins came. Four squads appeared as if out of nowhere, most crossbowmen and bowmen, dispatching the few remaining zombies and then heading for us. Still reeling from the zombie assault, we lost most of the remainder of our military. The day would have been lost had it not been for Shadowhammer, who charged a crossbow squad and quickly bashed five skulls in. All told, we survived the assault, but thirteen dwarves were lost, all soldiers and emergency conscripts.

In all the chaos, I could not help but notice, one of the goblin squads was led by an elf. An elf with no tongue, no less.

Felsite 25th: The enemy is gone, but our troubles are far from over. Demoralized by the double attack, some of the people have been acting out, shouting and screaming, starting fistfights, upending furniture. One or two adults have been causing trouble, but it's mainly the children who lost parents or grown-up friends.

Hematite 4th: A few have been unable to take the strain of all this sudden tragedy and have taken to wandering the halls, muttering to themselves or silently moping. I have seen this before. They have simply lost the will to live. I have tried to keep the remainder of the dwarves busy, in the hopes that work will keep their minds off the trouble. We have rebuilt the main drawbridge properly, placed new valuable furniture, and produce lavish meals. I am not sure how much it is helping.

Malachite 5th: The children will be our downfall. Since our fortress lacked proper childcare, our children have developed unhealthily close relationships with each other. It took just one child. Overcome with grief, he snapped and murdered a close friend. That child had befriended nearly every other child, and several could not bear the loss of one more friend. They, too, snapped and went on murderous rampages. And so it went again. The fortress has become a battle royale, with children murdering children and the adults getting caught in the crossfire.

Malachite 9th: Watching his beloved fort fall apart was too much for former overseer, Urvad. He has been seen moping about, sobbing. We do not speak about it, but we all know he will never recover.

Malachite 24th: While treating a wounded soldier, former overseer, SanGennaro, was ambushed and murdered by an insane child.

Malachite 27th: It is time to take drastic action. If we must sacrifice the children to save the adults, so be it. The children have been quarantined. The quarantine chamber has become known as Burrow 5.

Galena 22nd: The screams of the children have died down somewhat. I fear this is because they have torn so many of their own to pieces. One child was heard screaming the name of little Kells. Shadowhammer, promoted to militia commander after the death of his predecessor, is enjoying himself far too much.

As I walk the halls, I feel the eyes of the mothers on me. They do not protest. I fear most of them are simply dead inside.

Galena 28th: I began my tenure as overseer governing 180 dwarves. 104 now remain, and a number of the survivors have lost their minds. To think all of this was brought about by one careless architect. Nevertheless, I feel this is a storm we will weather. If we can survive tragedy on this scale, there is nothing in the world that will break us.

TL;DR: Magma forges, underground structure, drawbridge failed, 13 soldiers dead, tantrum spiral, hunger games. 40% dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16