Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement  (Read 34710 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

RESPAWN. BUY LITTLE GIRL IN CHARGE OF THE SHOP. She's clearly the ultimate weapon.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Halt your tomfoolery. This space will be in use soon.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Cumberjung?  More like cumbersome.

Systar
A twitchy slim fellow with crazy eyes and a nasty-looking weapon.

Strength: 5
Dex: 3
Speed: 6
Reflex: 3
Endurance: 2
Senses: 3

Skills:
Cleavers:  2
Acrobatics: 1

Weapon:
Panabas

Ki: 70

And for myself....

IVAN
A massive blond haired russian man.

Strength:6
Dex: 5
Speed: 2
Reflex: 2
Endurance: 5
Senses: 2

Skills:
Unarmed
Resistance
Ki usage

Weapon
Iron Fists

Ki: 70

We begin on a freeway overpass, in the middle of the night. We're standing on opposite sides of the overpass, a stream of cars whizzing past at 80 miles an hour between us. The overpass itself is a large concrete bridge which crosses over an even larger, 8 lane freeway below; a river of flowing red and white lights. Around us are the towering glass and steel monoliths of a modern downtown; 50 story tall buildings, wide lanes of traffic, glittering neon and darkened alleyways.

[Ivan reflex:0]
[systar reflex:2]

Systar acts first!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Leap from my side to the median, and from the median to six feet to his side, positioning for an attack.  Spend 3 Force Ki for this.

Is that what you had in mind?  I'm figuring force for the leaps since they aren't really precise jumps.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Leap from my side to the median, and from the median to six feet to his side, positioning for an attack.  Spend 3 Force Ki for this.

Is that what you had in mind?  I'm figuring force for the leaps since they aren't really precise jumps.

Pretty much yeah, but you don't have to say "Force ki". Just ki. Force and skill are just abstract ideas that determine what the target number of the roll and what constitutes a success is. For instance, this sort of thing is low skill, low force so it needs 5 successes and has a skill of 3, so any number 3 or higher counts as a success.

So we're rolling 6 from speed, 3 from ki, and getting an automatic +1 success from the acrobatics skill.

Your roll results:
Your rolls are  5  6  3  3  5  5  5  6  4
You had 9 successes

Well, that was a bit overkill. Still, you need to spend at least 1 ki dice to do ki shit, so it wasn't much wasted.

You don't even have to bend your knees; with a twitch of your toes you send yourself forward in a gentle arc, bounding across traffic like you hopping around on the moon. You land on the central median, balancing yourself on the thin concrete divider before bouncing again and landing on the opposite side of the road, facing Ivan.

Spoiler: ivan roll stuff (click to show/hide)

"Little man hop well. But can he catch?" Ivan asks as he takes a step into the street.  He sweeps a low kick into the grill of a passing taxi and punts it straight up into the air. He spins on his heel, following the momentum of the first kick with another, straight to the undercarriage of the uplifted car. The vehicle folds partially in half with a metal screech and the wreck hurtles straight toward systar.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

"Catch, you say?  Catch me!"

Leap the taxi and kick off it, propelling myself toward him to chop off an arm.  2 ki.

I expect this to be higher skill, but not much force.  Do I need to spend for both the dodge and the attack, or would the attack be an entirely separate "next turn" action?  If it's separate, 1 ki for it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Leap the taxi and kick off it, propelling myself toward him to chop off an arm.  2 ki.

I expect this to be higher skill, but not much force.  Do I need to spend for both the dodge and the attack, or would the attack be an entirely separate "next turn" action?  If it's separate, 1 ki for it.

If the chop is going to be a Ki action, as opposed to just an attempted normal one, then you spend ki for it separately, since it's a different action.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Then let's do that.  Might as well!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Spoiler: Roll stuff (click to show/hide)
You leap into the air and then off of the car's bumper as it flies by beneath you, smashing through the concrete railing of the overpass and cartwheeling off into the freeway below.

You grasp your cleaver in both hands and curl into a ball, flipping through the air as you bring the cleaver down toward Ivan's shoulder.

Ivan tries to grab the blade as it spins down towards him, but misses my a hair. Instead, the blow clangs off is metal fist.
The blow violently knocks his hand away, staggering him backwards. 

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I'm assuming I landed right next to him.  If not, will need to adjust.

Don't let up!  Swing the blade at the back of his leg, aiming to chop his lower leg off below the knee!  2 ki

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I'm assuming I landed right next to him.  If not, will need to adjust.

Don't let up!  Swing the blade at the back of his leg, aiming to chop his lower leg off below the knee!  2 ki

I think I'll just condense all the roll stuff in a single  spoiler from now on.  Also, you know that you don't have to use ki for ever attack. And using ki actually increases the difficulty of the roll. For instance, you would only need like 3 successes if doing it without ki.

Systar swings his blade  low, straight at Ivan's shin, though he miscalculates a bit and swings short, only a few inches of his blade on a collision course with flesh, as opposed to a leg removing slice. Just before the weapon hits, Ivan's leg muscles flex and his skin fades to a dull, grayish hue. Systar's blade clangs off his shin like a he was hitting a brick with a butter knife. Ivan grins and reaches out to grab systar by the face.

Bets on who is gonna win?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Place your bets.
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

Did not realize that.  I'll save it for when trying to break physics, I guess.

Roll back away from him and spring up to a combat stance!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2014, 04:18:48 pm »

What exactly is the win condition? Can't calculate the odds until I know that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2014, 04:20:36 pm »

Wait. This is a fight now? What did I miss?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2014, 04:20:37 pm »

MURDER.DRINK THE SOULS OF THE WEAK AND USURP THE POWER OF THE STRONG.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23