Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement  (Read 34669 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2014, 04:53:47 am »

If there's too many things to prioritize, you must optimize! How about merging Poison into this? I mean really, what will combatants spend all the money they gain on? Weapons and gear only cost so much, health recovery won't be terribly expensive for winners, and I doubt luxuries will be much of a factor. Why not have a background Poison competition? More and more expensive ingredients, more advanced mixing hardware, expenses on testing and other various things. So that competitors can have permanent upgrades, or one-shot vials as personal boosts or weapons. Stuff like that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2014, 04:56:12 am »

Why not potions as well? Give competitors an edge on the enemy, unless then the game just becomes a drug arms race.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2014, 10:06:43 am »

So the hunger games mixed with mortal combat.

You have too many games on the backburner here piecewise  is poison still somewhere In your Hardrive?
I've never seen the hunger games so I guess? I heard it was basically just "Battle Royale" but without any grit or violence.

Poison is still there, yep. I never delete anything.

If there's too many things to prioritize, you must optimize! How about merging Poison into this? I mean really, what will combatants spend all the money they gain on? Weapons and gear only cost so much, health recovery won't be terribly expensive for winners, and I doubt luxuries will be much of a factor. Why not have a background Poison competition? More and more expensive ingredients, more advanced mixing hardware, expenses on testing and other various things. So that competitors can have permanent upgrades, or one-shot vials as personal boosts or weapons. Stuff like that.
Because poison is largely incomplete and has extremely different systems. The poison system has lots of stats that revolve around the use of the drugs and a completely different power level.

Why not potions as well? Give competitors an edge on the enemy, unless then the game just becomes a drug arms race.

That was already considered. It's not just gonna be weapons and armor. You have to buy training to upgrade your stats. Plus there are items for use in battle, including aforementioned potions and such.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »

What about a drizzling of perplexicon on this salad of face punching? Every character gets a basic setup of magic words, while all of them will have the basics (foward, sphere, blast, stuff like that.) any specific gods they have been chosen by dictates the specifics, like the materials and adjectives they also have, ki is used in the formation of the spells and body modifications exist but you can't use them on other combatants and they'll drain ki the longer you have them on while it will automatically deactivate if you use ki in any form again.

Just a thought, so you can have mages in the battle field as well.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2014, 11:39:15 pm »

Noooooooooouch.

I enjoyed it- I think I did pretty well against your advantage of knowing the system.  A quick example table of ki/non-ki difficulties would be nice, so there'd be some standard of comparison.  Something simple like sheer lifting or jumping ability.

As far as combat goes, it was pretty simple- attacks naturally flowed out.  Perhaps a more concrete bonus for good positioning?  I felt my high jump ability got underused a bit.

The spectator system is interesting- I don't know if you followed Monk12's Mario Kart RTD, but he had something of the same general concept (sponsorships for racers.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2014, 12:50:19 am »

MY CUP NOODLES D:
And yeah, sounds fun.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »

Well, personally, I need something to be fighting for. Whether it's earning money for a relative's operation, saving the rec center, bringing democracy to Soviet Russia, or winning the love of a beautiful woman, I need some sort of motivation. That, or a posse of either players or NPCs to go on adventures with when we're not fighting.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »

We could propably have sidequests inbeetwen matches.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2014, 04:46:10 pm »

How's your take on 'environmental damage' for this game?

Say you kick someone lightly, not enough to damage, but enough to move them in front of a speeding train. How much damage, and which rolls? Mostly cause this would allow for smart fighters to use their environments to their advantage. And to avoid the situation where you have characters which are speedy but with low damage dealing capacity going up against tanky characters, and these tanks having such insane endurance bonuses the speedsters literally can't damage them.

I think this kind of damage should be a bit less severe than it would 'realistically' be, but still enough that you can't just shrug of a car hitting you square in the face (unless certain stats are ridiculously high).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:26 pm »

Will all of piecewise's systems ever be congealed into one tentacled, pulsating mass and sold wholesale to the rtD market?

We have stared into the void, and it groped us, winked, and left a slip of paper on the table as it walked out, signalling for us to call it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:09 am »

We have stared into the void, and it groped us, winked, and left a slip of paper on the table as it walked out, signalling for us to call it.

To the sig-bucket!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:43 am »

Well, personally, I need something to be fighting for. Whether it's earning money for a relative's operation, saving the rec center, bringing democracy to Soviet Russia, or winning the love of a beautiful woman, I need some sort of motivation. That, or a posse of either players or NPCs to go on adventures with when we're not fighting.
Power, glory and not being murdered isn't incentive enough?

How's your take on 'environmental damage' for this game?

Say you kick someone lightly, not enough to damage, but enough to move them in front of a speeding train. How much damage, and which rolls? Mostly cause this would allow for smart fighters to use their environments to their advantage. And to avoid the situation where you have characters which are speedy but with low damage dealing capacity going up against tanky characters, and these tanks having such insane endurance bonuses the speedsters literally can't damage them.

I think this kind of damage should be a bit less severe than it would 'realistically' be, but still enough that you can't just shrug of a car hitting you square in the face (unless certain stats are ridiculously high).
Environmental damage is definitely a thing. Kicking someone in front of a speeding train would be handled the same way as being hit by a player attack, except that the number of successes of that "attack" would vary depending on the situation. A speeding train is probably around 7 dice; so starting and even mid level characters really don't wanna get hit by one because it could easily kill them.

Will all of piecewise's systems ever be congealed into one tentacled, pulsating mass and sold wholesale to the rtD market?

Well, throwing perplexicon into basically anything is easy. I could do it here by just using ki as pool and add a potency stat. 

The rest...less so, depending on the game.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:19 pm »

Power, glory and not being murdered isn't incentive enough?
I'm just trying to think of a way I can conceptualize the game as some sort of martial arts action movie, where there's usually some sort of story outside of the fighting. I like imagining all these fighters having their own noble causes they're fighting for, and they all get obliterated one-by-one by some guy who's just in it for the money.

Also, I think this thread has made me realize I'm in the mood for some sort of low-to-mid power shonen anime action/adventure series game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2014, 01:41:24 pm »

Just my 2 cents, but I don't see the merits of adding in all the extra proposed stuff, at least at the beginning. PW has made a game that looks like it'd be a lot of fun even in this more bare-bones iteration.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:32 pm »

Just my 2 cents, but I don't see the merits of adding in all the extra proposed stuff, at least at the beginning. PW has made a game that looks like it'd be a lot of fun even in this more bare-bones iteration.
Basically, less is more.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23