Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life Crystals!  (Read 1008 times)

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life Crystals!
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:40:36 pm »

Basically, the idea I had (inspired by, of all things, an Elsword fanfic!) was to create some form of crystal that enables life around it (canonically, it would provide breathable air, but that'd probably be really hard to code in)...

Would it be possible to create some sort of crystal that you cannot live without?  Dwarves could start with a crystal in their embark wagon, and would need to move it around as they dug into the mountain, before (hopefully!) finding more crystals deep in the earth, enabling them to expand their fortress and search for yet more crystals, etc.

Possible?  Or pipe dream?
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Crystals!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:46:11 pm »

Well, the warlock race in Masterwork does something sort-of similar using crystal pylons to keep skeletal workers in functioning order.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »

How exactly does that system work? The pylon system that is.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »

The pylons are creatures that use some spawning script with DFhack made from large gems of any kind and souls (souls being an extra butcher product that practically powers all of the stuff warlocks do.) The skeletons may periodically go "Opposed to life" and just blunder about, walking into walls and doing nothing unless either a warlock can retake control of them or a pylon restores their pilot soul's higher reasoning abilities with some form of interaction, restoring them to full fort member status.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »

I should really look into that, but that is a lot of raws to sort through. It seems like an interesting and complex system, dwarfhack though.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »

You don't actually need dfhack for the system to work.  It's just used to spawn the pylons in a workshop.  If you're okay with using living creatures instead, the whole thing can work with regular interactions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:41 am »

Correct. You dont need dfhack.

The pylons are a bit more complex though, since they are powered by Warlocks and power other nearby Pylons as well, so you need to make networks of them. If you just put one pylon far away from the rest, it will unpower and wont do anything, untill it gets power again.

Grombardrim: Yes, its possible, but it will be difficult for players to control. The AI wont recognize these boundaries, and dwarves run out of the life-zone all the time.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:51 am »

So we would need the ability to edit the AI, then, put in some sort of imperative command that forces Dorfs to stay in the life zone or something?  Which Toady One probably won't give us, at least not for a while.

Ah, well.
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:26 pm »

You can use burrows. ;)

Or make dwarves really slow... so 50 tile survival zone, but 40 tile normal zone, with everything between 40 and 50 tiles going at 1% of their speed. Something like that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::