Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Black Lives Matter discussion thread  (Read 7968 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Lives Matter discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2016, 08:51:56 pm »

You are assuming that calling for reperations is automatically racist.  That is an immensely fallacious assumption.  And it shows an immense lack of curiosity about an issue you have chosen to form a strong opinion about.
>makes a thread
>links primary sources
>"lack of curiosity"

BLM's demands are racist. They demand reparations (retroactively, no less) paid by whites, to all blacks in the United States. I assume nothing.

Yeah, demanding reparations from people who have never owned slaves to people who have never been enslaved over the color of their skin is absolutely blatant racism. These idiots don't deserve the time of day.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »

You are assuming that calling for reperations is automatically racist.  That is an immensely fallacious assumption.  And it shows an immense lack of curiosity about an issue you have chosen to form a strong opinion about.
>makes a thread
>links primary sources
>"lack of curiosity"

BLM's demands are racist. They demand reparations (retroactively, no less) paid by whites, to all blacks in the United States. I assume nothing.
Yeah, demanding reparations from people who have never owned slaves to people who have never been enslaved over the color of their skin is absolutely blatant racism. These idiots don't deserve the time of day.
Americans still benefit from the products of slave labour, and African-Americans still suffer from the aftereffects of slavery. Reparations aren't all that unreasonable, in my opinion.

Brigands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »

why is nobody responding to my responses ;_;

Am I seriously that bad at debating?
I wanted to but i forgot.

But tl;dr

Nothing is free if a specific race is to get special treatment someone has to pay for it and to be quite honest some of those demands are straight up ludicrous like giving education to ILLEGAL BLACK immigrants.

They are illegal FFS illegal BLACK immigrants are to be pampered but illegal hispanics asians or white need to meet the mighty boot because blacks were exploited as slaves the most?

The future should be about equality and not giving one side benefits because "something happened in the past" since all that does is build tensions and spite between people.

Should police shoot black people more often than whites?
NO.
Should black people get free/better education and healthcare because of their pigmentation alone and tragic past.
NO.

Giving some people free stuff now because other people were assholes 60 years ago is not promoting equality.
Paying former slaves or their descendants a one time paycheck for work while enslaved would be ok because that's relatively quantifiable and even that would be pretty shaky by legal standards... but that's what germany did to forced labor after WW2 and it was (kinda) fair.
Problem with this being... well slavery ended a long time ago and it's pretty damn hard to find out who worked where and how long.

Demanding millions of public money for "Black only" free healthcare and "black only" free education (College?) is just going overboard and not at all fair. How long those programs should last? A generation? Until someone decides people are equal enough?
And wouldn't removing those benefits be seen as a sign of racism by people those 10-20 years later down the line?
After all no one likes it when their privileges get taken.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2016, 09:03:37 pm »

Americans still benefit from the products of slave labour, and African-Americans still suffer from the aftereffects of slavery. Reparations aren't all that unreasonable, in my opinion.
The only context in which this argument makes sense is in the poverty cycle, and while it disproportionately affects black people, it is not inherently a race issue. Blacks were not the only slaves. Not all blacks were slaves.
It is a solid argument for a welfare state. That's about it. Any talk of reparations or racial grants and subsidies is collectivist nonsense.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2016, 09:03:54 pm »

>makes a thread
>links primary sources
>"lack of curiosity"

Yes?  Is this really so hard?  You are demonizing people and assuming that all their arguments boil down to something without even considering what their reasoning is.

It's all well and good that you are citing primary sources.  That doesn't mean you are considering other points of view.  In none of the primary sources you cited does a BLM person say "Oh and by the way, I'm racist!"

Should black people get free/better education and healthcare because of their pigmentation alone and tragic past.
NO.

I wonder how many times I can point out that this is not the argument for reform OR reperations while people blithely ignore my point?

You know this is very familiar as the argument regarding gay marriage.

The gays want special treatment.  They want to force other religions to recognize them.  They are saying that some people deserve special rights.  This argument was advanced on the Bay12 forums once upon a time...

Generally speaking if a group is clearly not as well off and you accuse them of wanting special treatment it's time for you to remove your head from your ass.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:11:44 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]