Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Distillery vs. Brewery  (Read 6485 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Distillery vs. Brewery
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:43:32 pm »

Hey there,

I just downloaded the masterwork mod. Looking great so far! Not all of the new workshops make complete sense to me yet...
For example, what is the difference between brewery and distillery. As far as I can deduce from the wiki, they both are some kind of improved still. The brewery also lets me create fuel and water for emergencies.
From what I've read so far on the wiki, brewery > distillery > still. Thus I would only build a brewery. Or is there anything I didn't account for? Do they brew different kinds of alcohol?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Distillery vs. Brewery
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:53 pm »

From what I recall, custom reactions that make alcohol are weird. There are a couple bugs with them that may or may not have been fixed since I last played dwarves. I usually just stick with the basic 3X3 workshop and make 100+ units of booze a barrel from plump helmet man tissue. As for making water out of booze, my policy on that is if a dwarf needs you to make water from booze to live, he doesn't deserve too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »

The still got a reaction to brew every single type of booze, but due to Toady One cheating (and putting unlimited booze inside a barrel), I cant do that. Barrels hold 15 units max. So I had to use pots.

Still=> Makes booze into pots.
Brewery=> Can make bloodwine, Can make fuel from booze, Can make water from booze, Makes booze into 2 barrels. This booze reaction is slightly more efficient (~10-20% more booze), but you need 2 barrels instead of 1, making the hauling time slightly longer.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:41:38 pm »

Thanks for the answers!
Do two pots work as well for the brewery instead of barrels? I want to use the mod to embark in areas without trees as well.
I'm still curious about one other thing: if I'm OK with slightly longer hauling times and therefore build a brewery, is there any reason to additionally build a still and/or a distillery? It sounds like the brewery encompasses both of them..

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:52 am »

For wood you could embark with acorns and try the tree farming. You could also make barrels from rock or gems. Maybe bones? I can't remember them all. Masterwork gives lots of versatility for this. You can even split wood into blocks and use those blocks for double efficiency

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:16 am »

Better yet, split wood into four blocks at the sawmill and turn each one of them into 5 parquet tiles for building. That's 20 buildmats from one log. As far as brewery vs distillery goes, barrels require wood or metal(Or stone after a relatively lengthy process) whereas pots are easy to make.
Spooky Signature

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »

The single fact that I can't use pots instead of barrels for making alcohol in the brewery put me off it. To be honest, I do just fine with the original distillery, as I find making sure I have the barrels to keep it working adds to the time it takes to pump alcohol out from the brewer, while the distillery gives stable alcohol.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:24 pm »

I've noticed the parquet tile reaction is no longer there. Sad times for my aboveground dorfs.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »

I've noticed the parquet tile reaction is no longer there. Sad times for my aboveground dorfs.
Really? That must be a 4h change, because Cathedral is 4g and I've been making parquet tiles with no problems there. I agree that brewery is inconvenient because of the 2 barrel thing. You might want to build a still or distillery for other reasons. If you want to mass-produce booze, then more then one workshop is neat and brewery presumably takes a bunch of build-mats being at the top of the brewing tech tree. Plus, if you're paranoid like me and build a completely self-sufficiant bunker for emergencies, you might want just a still for that. If you want a no-trees map, then making barrels from stone blocks is the best way to do brewery.
Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:08:53 am »

Yes, I removed it, because it didnt took the right name and color. It was "unknown material".
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:00 am »

I agree that brewery is inconvenient because of the 2 barrel thing. You might want to build a still or distillery for other reasons. If you want to mass-produce booze, then more then one workshop is neat and brewery presumably takes a bunch of build-mats being at the top of the brewing tech tree. Plus, if you're paranoid like me and build a completely self-sufficiant bunker for emergencies, you might want just a still for that. If you want a no-trees map, then making barrels from stone blocks is the best way to do brewery.

To be honest, the barrels instead of pot problem wouldn't be nearly as bad if the barrels weren't being constantly used for general food storage. I have yet to find a way to restrict large pots to solid food storage only and keep barrels away from being used all the time for general food storage.

In the end it's the FPS/clutter issue, since large pots store a lot more than just barrels, I try to avoid using barrels.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:32 am »

Still: any container for the "brew drink" reaction and ONLY pots for the specific reactions.
Brewery: any container (barrel, pots, what you like) for all reactions.