Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best blunt weapon?  (Read 2482 times)

blazing glory

What's the best blunt weapon?
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:41 pm »

Aside from flailing strings of death whips
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:57:05 pm by blazing glory »

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best blunt weapon?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:27 pm »

Well I think hammers are good against undead. Also thrown objects are pretty blunt such as sand but very lethal

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:00 pm »

Well I think hammers are good against undead. Also thrown objects are pretty blunt such as sand but very lethal

I'm not talking in the general sense,I'm talking about maul,hammer,or mace,Wether or not my character would need to duel wield doesn't matter

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:15:49 pm »

hammers are usually the best. 2x velocity with the smallest contact area (10) means massive pain to localized areas, what blunt weapons are supposed to do.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:25:36 am »

I'd say it's mace.
As adventurer, you're probably superhumanly strong, which I imagine makes the heavier mace a better choice compared to the smaller hammer. Mauls on the other hand either are too heavy for any civilised race to swing effectively or have too large contact area for their size.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:19:47 am »

How effective are dense shield bashes compared to hammers and such?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:25 am »

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say morning star. It as spikes for Armoks blood!

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:27 pm »

I do believe whips do some sort of blunt damage (even though the wiki reports it does gore damage). They're apparently pretty deadly since they ignore most armors, although they can sometimes glance off of harmless critters like weasels for some reason in my experience.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »

I do believe whips do some sort of blunt damage (even though the wiki reports it does gore damage). They're apparently pretty deadly since they ignore most armors, although they can sometimes glance off of harmless critters like weasels for some reason in my experience.
I'm not sure gore damage exists currently, and whips do blunt damage, their attack is BLUNT:1:10:lashes etc.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say morning star. It as spikes for Armoks blood!

Morningstars technically deal edge damage. [ATTACK:EDGE:10:500:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000] It's not like it's going to cut someone's arm off or something, but it isn't actually a blunt attack in the vanilla raws.

On topic, I'd say the best blunt weapon would be whatever you find works good. A sack full of rocks and body parts, a bald eagle corpse you picked up, a heavy limestone throne, your backpack full of supplies and trophies, a stone coffin filled with the remains of all your kills, a platinum slab with the secrets of life and death, a wheelbarrow, etc. Get creative, and try not to die.

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »

After using whips for a few games they really aren't as uberlethal as people make them to be, sure they are great against humans and dwarves but it seems that a hammer creams a lasher pretty quickly if they don't get a lucky headshot.

That said , compared to actual whips whips are ludicrously powerful.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:35:37 pm »

Morningstars technically deal edge damage. [ATTACK:EDGE:10:500:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000] It's not like it's going to cut someone's arm off or something, but it isn't actually a blunt attack in the vanilla raws.

On topic, I'd say the best blunt weapon would be whatever you find works good. A sack full of rocks and body parts, a bald eagle corpse you picked up, a heavy limestone throne, your backpack full of supplies and trophies, a stone coffin filled with the remains of all your kills, a platinum slab with the secrets of life and death, a wheelbarrow, etc. Get creative, and try not to die.

Okay,I will put my skills into misc combat and I will visit a modded dwarf castle and see if I can pick up a minecart or something

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:37:20 pm »

After using whips for a few games they really aren't as uberlethal as people make them to be, sure they are great against humans and dwarves but it seems that a hammer creams a lasher pretty quickly if they don't get a lucky headshot.

That said , compared to actual whips whips are ludicrously powerful.

I find whips are consistently good against armor, as well as the undead. I think it gives off the impression that it's weak because of the damage descriptions (it reports that it chips bones, even though most of those chips are often very lethal).

You are shit out of luck if you need to kill an enemy that requires decapitation though (like a mummy).

Generally you are much better off leveling up throwing rather than any kind of melee skill really. Within 3-4 tiles Throwing pretty much acts like short range artillery. Also there is some satisfaction to throwing steel bolts into an outlaw crossbowman at point blank range, or killing a dragon with 4 bronze bolts. Not to mention throwing ammo also levels up Archery along with throwing, although I'm not quite certain what the Archery skill does that is different from the Bowman skill.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:01 pm »

Archery is to ranged as fighting is to melee. It improves accuracy and stuff, and is trained whenever you use a ranged attack.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _