Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ha-ha-halt!  (Read 8042 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Ha-ha-halt!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:50 pm »

This happened to me once.

I was ambushed by bandits, who said ha-ha-halt. They were actually friendly so I recruited some of them as companions. Then the leader saw me, and suddenly one of my "companions" stabbed me in the back. Cleverest ruse I have ever seen done by bandits. I survived and slaughtered them all of course.

In that same adventure I managed to recruit a tower of necromancers as followers. Turns out evil scholars who spend all their time writing books aren't very good in a fight. One of them had a crystal knife though, so that was pretty cool.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

blazing glory

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:39 pm »

I've been ha-ha-halted several times,I'm a legendary hero and there are a bunch of goblin kingdoms so I'm constantly ha-ha-halted

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 09:07:02 pm »

This happened to me after my guy became a legendary hero for slaughtering a bunch of Bleak Women (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119275 - sadly, the screenshots have now been deprecated and I don't have copies) and becoming a hero in the eyes of 20 neighboring civilizations. On the way back, he was ambushed by goblins and killed a whole bunch of them before getting shot and managing to crawl away while his companions all died.

The next ambush he ran into had the goblins stutter like this. I believe this to happen whenever you are widely known as a terrifying, awe-inspiring hero - the goblin who is commanding you to halt is stuttering out of pure fear. (Sadly, that didn't help my guy, who got shot /again/ and died.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:10:42 pm by Jetman123 »
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:18 pm »

This is amazing and I'm disappointed its never happened to me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

blazing glory

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:22 pm »

This is amazing and I'm disappointed its never happened to me.
Just become a legendary hero (I think you might need to have completed 15 quests? 20?) and then get ambushed and you will be ha-ha-halted

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:06 am »

Could be wrong, but I always thought it happened when you encountered bad guys in freezing weather.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:44:13 am »

I was ambushed by bandits, who said ha-ha-halt. They were actually friendly so I recruited some of them as companions. Then the leader saw me, and suddenly one of my "companions" stabbed me in the back. Cleverest ruse I have ever seen done by bandits. I survived and slaughtered them all of course.

I actually managed to recruit even the leader. I was just about to enter travel mode with my bandit companions, they suddenly stabbed me back. Two of them were bowgoblins. They killed me.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 09:43:16 am »

Could be wrong, but I always thought it happened when you encountered bad guys in freezing weather.
You are wrong - it's been established that it's linked to your heroism.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

He might not be. Dwarf Fortress might very well do both, or something - we should test this.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »

He might not be. Dwarf Fortress might very well do both, or something - we should test this.

Like I said before, I located the code that decides between "Halt" and "Ha-ha-halt", disassembled it, and analyzed it - the only factors are whether your heroism is 75 or greater and whether or not your foe is capable of experiencing fear.

You're welcome to test it further, but I highly doubt you'll find anything more.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:11:37 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »

Well, you're a necromancer, and from that much I assume you've been doing a bit of murdering to get corpses. Even if you haven't you're an immortal magician who raises the dead. Anyone wood-slinging who faces with the possibility of fighting that and isn't audibly nervous is either insane or cacame-tier.
Also...
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
Mother of god.
Alright... WHICH ONE OF YOU LET THE ELVES WATCH ANIME!?
Who showed them? Who ruined my favorite passtime? What will I do now that they know about anime? I can't even think now! I'm gonna go finish watching Black Lagoon to calm down...
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »

Like I said before, I located the code that decides between "Halt" and "Ha-ha-halt", disassembled it, and analyzed it - the only factors are whether your heroism is 75 or greater and whether or not your foe is capable of experiencing fear.

You're welcome to test it further, but I highly doubt you'll find anything more.

Out of curiosity, are those strings just built into the binary? I thought they'd be in a speech .txt file somewhere, but given that you located the code directly, perhaps it's hardcoded? (Granted, one could get ambushed and see what executes, step-by-step, but that would be immensely tedious, methinks.)

Also, given the title, I immediately thought of this.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:55 am »

Out of curiosity, are those strings just built into the binary? I thought they'd be in a speech .txt file somewhere, but given that you located the code directly, perhaps it's hardcoded? (Granted, one could get ambushed and see what executes, step-by-step, but that would be immensely tedious, methinks.)
Yes, they are hardcoded into the binary - for Win32 0.34.11 SDL, they are located at offsets 0x85740C ("Ha-ha-halt in the name of ") and 0x857428 ("Halt in the name of ").

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

Got Ha-ha-halted today by an ambush of three goblins. Three. Against my legendary wrestling vampire necromancer that once hit an ettin so hard in the head with a wooden sword that it flew off in an arc. How fortunate, I needed a drink anyway.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: 1 [2]