Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ha-ha-halt!  (Read 7932 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Ha-ha-halt!
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:01:31 am »

The elves who 'ambushed' me in this way were friendly afterwards. However, some other civilizations stopped me with a simple "Halt!" and were friendly too.
I don't quite get it. I'm a legendary hero to the Obeisant Vegetation(along with every other civilization in my world's northern hemisphere). Did that happen because of my status, or do elves always stutter in front of invincible necromancers?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ha-ha-halt!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:37:41 am »

"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."

"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"

If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:32 am »

I can't say I've ever seen this before. Are you using any mods at all?
Only Modest Bodies with traces of Modest Mod left from when I mistook the two folders and didn't clean up properly. Traces can't be removed completely, as the game crashes if I do that(probably the courtesy of Modest Bodies), so I can't test it completely vanilla. DFHack installed, but only for skill experience readouts and the like; it wasn't used to change anything in the game. No changes to the game exe, no changes to the /raw/objects/text folder.

Save file.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:06 am »

One of the various personality facets can cause units to stutter. I forget which one it is, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:27:45 am »

One of the various personality facets can cause units to stutter. I forget which one it is, though.
Performed more tests: talked to every elf to make them into history figures(one of them was called Conibo Squeezetrees, by the way. Damn those treehuggers), traveled away, waited some more. I get ha-ha-halted by a group of elves with no names. After talking to them, I find out that they have completely different names. I kill the ambush, walk away, wait some more, get ambushed again: suddenly they start halting me instead of ha-ha-halting.

For the sake of completeness, reloaded the save and gutted the nearest elf, then sneaked and traveled away. No elves were killed. Waited a bit to get ambushed, the effects are the same: ha-ha-halting is substituted for halting. Retired in the nearest fortress, looked up my character in the Legends mode: I'm no longer a 'legendary hero' to them, I'm an enemy.

So, yeah, I guess it's due to my being a 'legendary hero' after all.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:18 am »

Well, you're a necromancer, and from that much I assume you've been doing a bit of murdering to get corpses. Even if you haven't you're an immortal magician who raises the dead. Anyone wood-slinging who faces with the possibility of fighting that and isn't audibly nervous is either insane or cacame-tier.
Also...
Mother of god.
Alright... WHICH ONE OF YOU LET THE ELVES WATCH ANIME!?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:23:41 am »

Well, you're a necromancer, and from that much I assume you've been doing a bit of murdering to get corpses. Even if you haven't you're an immortal magician who raises the dead. Anyone wood-slinging who faces with the possibility of fighting that and isn't audibly nervous is either insane or cacame-tier.
Come to think of it, I do have a habit of reviving the strongest of my targets (one of whom was a hill titan in the form of a poison-spitting, near-invincible giant mite) only to let them go near the closest population center. Keeps me in business.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:01:01 am »

What I find weird is how they stutter on halt but pronounce obeisant vegetation flawlessly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:03:18 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Anin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:56 pm »

"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."

If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Sigged I find this wonderful. XDD
Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »

I always thought it was linked to cold weather. The only time if seen characters stutter was when I was ambushed in freezing or cold biomes such as tundras or glaciers.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:32 pm »

So, yeah, I guess it's due to my being a 'legendary hero' after all.
I've just done a bit of disassembly diving, and I can confirm that it is linked to "hero" entity link strength - if it's 75 or greater ("Famous Hero" is 75-99, "Legendary Hero" is 100), then they get nervous (unless they have [NOFEAR], in which case they never stutter).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gallahan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:59:35 am »

I've seen this frequently in my games and never correlated it to fear.

Rather, I thought they were laughing at me before telling me to halt.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:34 am »

Yeah, I can confirm noticing goblins addressing my super awesome heroes in this way out of ambush but not my marginally awesome ones.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 12:19:27 pm »

Oh, to me it felt more like they'd been at the sunshine stocks.

"Ha-ha-*hic*-halt in zhe name of the Obeishant Ve'tashiun!"
Pages: [1] 2