Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge  (Read 25150 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »

As promised, I had another idea for a challenge fort after Hexxedgarish
Quickly the rules I was thinking about: (changes to Hexxedgarish are bold)
Rules:
- unchanged MWDF V.4h
- playing dwarves in a young world with all MW-races existing including FortressDefense races
- using a 7 no-caste-dwarves embark on 2x2 flat terrain, no volcano or river, neutral biome, no extreme temperatures, normal embark points
- no diseases (i don't feel comfortable playing with them right now, sorry :/)
- no secret fun
- no cage traps and no walling in (neither total wallins nor temporary wallins by drawbridges, doors, hatches or similar abuses, but I may use those to channel enemies in the proper trap, as long as the fortress is never inaccessible at any point)
- Only 2 2-dwarf-squads allowed, one for ranged combat, one for close combat. That's all, no more fighters/mages
- traps/turrets/siege weaponry/minecarts will be used for defense, but in style
- animals may only be used for defense as part of trapdesign

- no dangerrooms, childlabor etc (but i use a 25% childmaximum)
- all caravans/diplomats except dwarves are not allowed to leave the map alive

Rules from hexxedgarish that were removed/replaced:
- No regular buildings below groundlevel (constructions, minecarttracks etc may be necessary) not doable, at least not early in the game
- no other clearly abusive defense measures (atomsmashers, endless trapcorridors, unbeatable doomtraps, walling off mapedges etc) well, this fortress is about traps...
- we don't like treehuggers and thus elves have to be killed! All elves! Maybe insulted first and then killed. But none will survive to tell the tale anyway. instead we attack everyone but ourselves :D

Few comments:
- Fortress defense races make the buildup quite hard. I'm actually most scared of those first 3 years. Without walling in and only 4 men under arms defense will be quite hard. They trigger much earlier then the normal races, so just keeping the fortress value low isn't doing it alone.
- There are multiple flying / trapavoid races... Yeah, glorious idea to make a trap fort, really! Whatever... I have some plans, just need some time.
- I'm looking for a map with only 10 zlevels to the caverns. I will probably not touch the caverns in the first few years, so this will massively limit my space, especially considering the 2x2 mapsize.
- Longterm I would love to build into the sky, so having everything at least 2 zlevel above ground, but I just experienced in Hexxedgarish how much labor is required for construction, and that fort didn't even require much construction for defense unlike this one, which will need way more mechanics and smithes (Hexxedgrish had exactly ONE weapon/armorsmith... Yeah, one guy for both those tasks... in a 230 dwarf fort, and still everyone was busy) Also most trapdesigns need some sort of masonry or mining work.... And if I include siege weaponry this also needs dwarfpower. So I doubt that this is really doable, but we will see.
- I will try to mix up trapdesigns, but at some point I have to go with the flow and do what is required to survive. I hope I can keep it interesting.
- I'm a bit unsure about how to deal with power requirements... Windmills are somehow annoying, but building water reactors is FPS suicide with 200+ dwarves. Unless someone knows some brilliant design I'm not aware of. And we are not talking about manual labor for automated defenses.
- Those 2 melee soldiers are supposed to be my early defense + last line of defense + cleanup force. They will probably rack up kills, as they hardly have to share, but still I want traps to do the main damage, so they won't be the center of my attention.
- the 2 ranged soldiers will do what ranged soldiers do... Shoot at anything from behind save fortifications ^^ This time I may even roof over those positions :P
- for report style I will probably do it closer to how I did it in the end of Hexxedgarish. I think I wrote a bit too much in detail in the beginning there :D

Oh and of course, as usual dwarfings will be welcomed. I need at least 4 names for the militia In that case, please say what kind of weapon you want. *g* Oh and do siege operators actually get their kills accounted? (no matter if vanilla siegeweapons or MW ones) Of course I also accept civilian requests, but I admit that it will be hard to stand out there.

As I have a busy weekend and 2 exams next week, I guess I will really start playing around next Wednesday once the exams are done.

Updates:
- Intro/Embark
Year1
- spring/summer
- autumn/winter
Year2
- spring
- summer
- autumn/winter
Year3
- spring
- summer
- autumn
- interesting detail about something killed earlier
- winter
Year4
- spring
- summer/autumn
- winter
- stonesense screenshots
Year5
- spring
- summer
- autumn
- winter

Named dwarves: (images taken at end of spring, year2)
Mahrgell - noble
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pascale - mason/architect
Tenderroast - weapon-/armorsmith
Meph - mechanic/engineer
Arcvasti - mechanic/engineer
Shadow - crafter
CptCrunchy - militia (hammer)
dawnofdarkness - militia (sword)
ColdBones - militia (axe thrower)
kamikazi - militia (axe thrower)

waiting to be dwarfed
Mosey - waiting for a medic

ambushes/sieges: don't read, if you don't want story spoilers... (updated until end of year 5)
The numbers given here are lower then in the story for the simple reason that legendsmode ignores mounts. But almost every attacker rides something, and quite often the mounts are as dangerous as the riders...
Yes, nothing happened in those two seasons :P

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: V4.h mechanical masterminds Dwarf challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:22:40 pm »

Well I can't wait to read this one.  Could I maybe get a ranged dwarf this time?  Of course the last fort I was the commander of the entire military and a total juggernaut.  Since you're only having four military dwarves I'm totally fine with a civilian if other people want to show up in combat logs more.  If I get a civilian maybe a mechanic or metalsmith?

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »

dwarf me!!! If I'm a civvy, a smith of some kind, if military, sword dwarf.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:58 pm »

Can i be dorfed as a hammerdwarf?
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:49 am »

I think you should have a look at IndigoFenix Gnome update, because he specifically made scripts for traps and mechanics. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:20:10 am »

I think you should have a look at IndigoFenix Gnome update, because he specifically made scripts for traps and mechanics. :)

Indeed, this kind of thing would make a perfect test for the gnomes (poor direct combat, many mechanical options).  Incomplete or not, I just need to patch up a few things and they should be perfectly playable.  Unless you want to wait until I get the more 'creative' traps running.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34:53 am »

The gnome version in the last release looked like it is still a long way to go, even though i admit, I eagerly await the final release. While I do not care much about animalstuff and even all that exoskeleton thingies, I really want those machinery. :D
But I also have to admit, that this fort here will be quite something new for me. I haven't managed to get dwarven shotgun to work yet, so it surely is perfectly reasonable to try that on stage :D But this is my longterm goal beside the more standard defense layouts.
I'm already twisting my mind how to do it, especially as I would prefer it to not use power while being mostly automated. (another super reasonable idea, that's how I am)

Btw, for the fortress value siege triggers... Does the whole fortress value count? Or the produced value? Because I just noticed that killing the first few caravans can make the value multiply quite easily. Almost as bad as putting an adamantine wafer next to the workshop and having a multimillion dwarfbucks mood.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:20 am »

Does the whole fortress value count?
yes
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

The last fort was great, this one looks pretty interesting as well - I'll take that last military dorf, if you please...

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »

Loved the last fort, may I be dorfed please? I don't particularly care what, just so long as it has personality.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »

I'd take a dwarf also, would like a military dwarf preferably swords but if ranged is left I'll take that, if neither work I'll take a smith for civilian or whatever is currently needed. Looking forward to how this turns out.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:22:44 am »

If you would be so good as to accept my employment at this new fortress, I would be glad to take any dwarf that is needed and necessary.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:57:43 pm »

Oh yeah, since I missed Hexxedgarished, please dwarf me as well. The Chief Mechanic. ;)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »

This sounds neat. If you're looking for trap ideas, you can check out Charmcrafted right here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133503.msg4985905#msg4985905

Charmcrafted is basically the same challenge, but vanilla DF. Now that I'm done advertising, I'd like to request a dwarf: An engraver of some sort, if being underground is going to be a thing now. If not, I'd like to be an arcanne dwarf or failing that, a mechanical thingy thing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:59:41 pm »

If Mosey is in, he needs to be "The Noble" again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12