Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 212115 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1335 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:01 pm »

*Snip*
((Well, if that gets approved, what about a more expensive version that also carries a Piezoelectric fabricator with it?))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:35 am »

*Snip*
((Well, if that gets approved, what about a more expensive version that also carries a Piezoelectric fabricator with it?))

Why, exactly? And can't that thing just be bought separately?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1337 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:00 am »

Sure I suppose.

Then I'll go add it to the armory.

Next up: mine/demo kit.

Basically, a sturdy box with a collection of several items for taking various grenades or explosives and turning them into boobytraps or mines. Contains at least the following:
-main 'unit' where other bits are slotted into or attached to
-mechanical odds and ends to allow nades or explosives of various size to be attached to the main unit
-tripwires
-pressure sensitive plates/sensors
-infrared lasers
-small receiver/transmitter (for remote control)
-small simple cameras
-timer
-detonators

Idea would be the box works like the medkit does, in which its exact contents are a bit nebulous, and instead each box has a certain amount of uses. User can use contents of the box to create booby traps or mines with a variety of possible firing mechanisms, thought the actual 'explosive parts' (which might even be as crude as a drum of booze) aren't included in the package. Sort of like a 'do-it-yourself bomb kit (bomb sold separately)'.

Does this seem like a workable idea? Could you think of things to add or how to improve the concept? How many uses would one 'box' have, and what would its price be? Currently I'm hoping for 1 token and 5 uses. If that seems like a lot, remember that this thing on its own is rather useless, so you need to add the price of the explosives a person would need (aka another token at the very least). Though I guess you could also use the simple sensors for intelligence/recon purposes, but there are better options available for that.

Finally, could you please take a look at this and tell me what you think:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So here's what the bolded description would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well that trap kit seems fine to me. I actually have some diagrams from an old army manual about how to create landmine booby traps around here somewhere...I'll try to find them. It might give us ideas of what more to add to it. In any case, we could do the standard "Use it 5 times" med kit thing. Cost? Eh, 2 tokens should be fine. If only because small cameras and various other components from it can be used elsewhere as well.

As per Dev's sensor package, it looks fine...I wonder how useful it will be in the end, but I don't see anything on there that is technically impossible. Not sure what he means "Can be displayed on suits" with the cameras though. Might have to reduce the radar range a bit.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:32 am »

The multitool Simus got for christmas a couple years ago. It was described like this:
It's a complex set of actuators, mechanical parts, metal pieces and sensors. It will transform into a tool that can be used to manipulate any basic mechanical device.
Would it be possible to add this or something similar to the armoury, and how much would it cost? Maybe we have to study it on Heph first.

How about a basic handiwork tool box? Containing stuff like a welder, a few powered tools, a lot of non-powered tools and some supplies.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:38:11 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:18 am »

How about a basic handiwork tool box? Containing stuff like a welder, a few powered tools, a lot of non-powered tools and some supplies.
This. Oh please this. NAV, you are my savior; I've wanted something like that for ages.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 31, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »

As per Dev's sensor package, it looks fine...I wonder how useful it will be in the end, but I don't see anything on there that is technically impossible. Not sure what he means "Can be displayed on suits" with the cameras though. Might have to reduce the radar range a bit.

Well, people don't seem to have issues accessing other people's camera feeds.  I thought that system for the false color IR and UV views.  Radar would need something different.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 01, 2015, 12:52:04 pm »

Well that trap kit seems fine to me. I actually have some diagrams from an old army manual about how to create landmine booby traps around here somewhere...I'll try to find them. It might give us ideas of what more to add to it. In any case, we could do the standard "Use it 5 times" med kit thing. Cost? Eh, 2 tokens should be fine. If only because small cameras and various other components from it can be used elsewhere as well.

Yeah, if you wanna try and look that up, that might be interesting. If not, we luckily can abstract the exact contents a bit (like with a medkit) so if we forget something obvious, it ain't a big deal. Also, if you want one can download the US army field manual on booby traps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vistaconceptsllc.boobytraps.AOUFHCMCYQYEOBJVX&hl  or  https://archive.org/details/FM_5_31_Booby_Traps_

Would 1 token for a kit of 3 uses also be all right?

Well, for starters: you know that movie thing where people use sound echolocation to map out their environment and detect things? This could do that, but better, and uses electromagnetic waves in different parts of the spectrum. So some waves are sent out and bounce back to the detectors, mapping the walls and such, while others can penetrate walls a bit and thus map beyond them as well (though obviously there's a limit). So, if in an unknown tunnel complex, you could use this to map ahead of you and see where different branches go to, in a way that's better than echolocation.

Next to that, it could detect incoming things (shuttles, LESHO rounds, ...) even when they aren't in visible range or are stealthed (for example, on the Heabi mission they'd allow us to detect those organic missiles much sooner), since most things, even if invisible to cameyes, might not be to other parts of the spectrum.

Basically it gives some sensors and functions that cameyes don't in order to complement those. Of course, if you think alternative sensors or other adjustments might make more sense, do tell.

While you're at it, could you also look at upgrading camEyes so that their X-ray mode can be used to see through walls and clothes?
So, is this possible?

@Nav: tool box was on the list of simple tinker projects I'm going through. Beat me to the punch! (which isn't a problem, there's too much stuff on there anyway, help is welcome).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:18:57 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1342 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:59 pm »

While you're at it, could you also look at upgrading camEyes so that their X-ray mode can be used to see through walls and clothes?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 01, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

What, you wanna peep on the AM more efficiently?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1344 on: September 01, 2015, 01:53:54 pm »

What, you wanna peep on the AM more efficiently?
I was thinking more along the lines of scanning containers so that you can see the Arbiters in them, using methods same as those used in Cargo Scanning. Or detecting hidden enemy agents, hiding amongst civilians.

But hey, if you want suicidal high-tech voyeurism... whatever floats your synthflesh limbs.

Hmm... there's an odd question. Does the thing synthflesh comes from have reproductive organs?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 01, 2015, 01:55:39 pm »

At the magnitude of X-Ray emission necessary to reliably look through walls, I think you'd be murdering people just by looking at them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 01, 2015, 01:58:58 pm »

At the magnitude of X-Ray emission necessary to reliably look through walls, I think you'd be murdering people just by looking at them.
Which is sufficiently ARM way of discerning those people didn't have weapons concealed on them. LionsEnemies everywhere!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1347 on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:36 pm »

Are you sure? Because I've passed through Backscatter X-ray scanners when going through airports and I'm still alive.

EDIT: To clarify, I meant through relatively thin walls, like the ones found in clothes and containers.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 01, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »

You still need an x-ray emitter to do that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1349 on: September 01, 2015, 02:06:23 pm »

You still need an x-ray emitter to do that.
CamEyes? They already have an X-ray mode? Unless you are suggesting that in the ERverse, all metal is constantly emitting X-rays.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 127