Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 211940 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:36 pm »

Anybody remember whether or not the Gauss rifles use superconductors?

Unless the supergenerator needs them, probably not.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2014, 03:45:36 pm »

Why not? I'm not a physics expert but isn't the strength of magnetic fields generated by conductors related to the current going through them? So superconductor->less resistance->more current->stronger magnetic field->faster projectile.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:48:44 pm by Parisbre56 »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »

Why not? I'm not a physics expert but isn't the strength of magnetic fields generated by conductors related to the current going through them? So superconductor->less resistance->more current->stronger magnetic field->faster projectile.
Yeah but superconductors are still a bitch to keep cold, copper wires are far easier
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

You can get projectile speeds of 42m/s with current technology without superconductors. That's fast enough.

The “CG-42″ Gauss Machine Gun
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »

Yeah but superconductors are still a bitch to keep cold, copper wires are far easier
You could use a room temperature superconductor, if one has been discovered. There's also Stanene, which is technically not a superconductor but does have very small resistance at room temperature.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanene

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »

You can get projectile speeds of 42m/s with current technology without superconductors. That's fast enough.

The “CG-42″ Gauss Machine Gun
42 m/s isn't very fast for a bullet. The muzzle velocity of a glock is 375 m/s.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »

Tinker idea:

Take the head off a normal spear, put a kinetic force amp on the stump of the haft, with short heavy springs to either side. Clip the head to the springs, maybe with a click-on attachment, or a push'ntwist lightbulb type deal.

Basic premise.
Step 1: Stab enemy with spear.
Step 2: Impact of kinetic force amp against spearhead will cause it to massively increase the amount of power behind the jab. Anything less than superdense metal will probably explode into fragments of molten metal not dissimilar to a shaped charge explosive. A superdense spearhead will possibly just shoot off into the distance, if the armor is thin enough for complete penetration.
Step 3: Replace spearhead. Reloads in much the same way as a modern RPG.

I call it the suicide spear.
Test this idea in VR Put a hold on this idea until after mission.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:01:42 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

First, what would you really gain over a standard kinetic amp?  A bit of range, and a little bit of force.  Spears do most of their damage because they have a really sharp point, and this ruins that because you're using a kin amp-- It has identical surface area to the standard punching glove.

Also, why would the springs do anything aside from reduce damage?  It would reduce the amount of initial force that connects, and the explosion would probably push the weapon back before the spring could push any more force into the target.  Plus I think kin amps only apply their force for a moment.

All that being said, it would be really cheap.  Remove the springs and you might even be able to get it for free from the armory.  If not, ask one of the amp smiths for a long metal baton. 

Oh, and you really want to change your action right now.  If you keep it as-is, Nyars will break your kneecaps.  No Tinker until mission's over.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:20 pm »

First, what would you really gain over a standard kinetic amp?  A bit of range, and a little bit of force.  Spears do most of their damage because they have a really sharp point, and this ruins that because you're using a kin amp-- It has identical surface area to the standard punching glove.
The spear-point is on the other end of the amp, and it was discovered by an investigative player that the operative part of the kinamp is a small chip-like thing.

Also, why would the springs do anything aside from reduce damage?  It would reduce the amount of initial force that connects, and the explosion would probably push the weapon back before the spring could push any more force into the target.  Plus I think kin amps only apply their force for a moment.
All that being said, it would be really cheap.  Remove the springs and you might even be able to get it for free from the armory.  If not, ask one of the amp smiths for a long metal baton. 
Oh, and you really want to change your action right now.  If you keep it as-is, Nyars will break your kneecaps.  No Tinker until mission's over.
Agreed.

This makes me think of something.
Retroactively look up all available information about the power source that got taken back in Mission 1.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

((I'm going to assume Simus and co. are desynced from reality in Tinker at the moment, though only for talking - no actions. Since this entire thing was supposed to be over before the timeskip, but I ran out of time. The minor effect (number of rooms off the boardroom) can be retroactive. In reality, they're all taking part in the current activities.))

But will it be a problem? As you might have seen, I can be brash at times, or appear to be. Criticism will flow freely in this base, though most always intended to be constructive.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:27 pm »

@GWG
Huh.  I didn't realize he said to clip the head back on.  I thought he meant to make an amp baton... I need to work on my reading comprehension.

That would probably make it more effective, although single shot.  It'd still be useful as a long-ranged kin amp.

Also, I forgot to post this bit of RP before.

Steve listens carefully as Simus reviews his work, his expression static.  He responds once she finishes with the others

"I tested how Altered would deal with a battlesuit mostly because the battlesuit was designed to combat them.  Presumably, I may have missed some function of the suit, or misunderstood the use of some function, and watching a battlesuit fight them would have helped prevent that.  I didn't intend to learn from how the Altered fought; I intended to learn from how the battlesuit fought.

And thank you for the recommendation.  I'll keep that in mind when I make my decision."

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2014, 02:22:16 am »

((I'm going to assume Simus and co. are desynced from reality in Tinker at the moment, though only for talking - no actions. Since this entire thing was supposed to be over before the timeskip, but I ran out of time. The minor effect (number of rooms off the boardroom) can be retroactive. In reality, they're all taking part in the current activities.))

But will it be a problem? As you might have seen, I can be brash at times, or appear to be. Criticism will flow freely in this base, though most always intended to be constructive.
"No no it won't, I am to paraphrase charles - single minded yet flexible - I can take criticism, flat denial by pulling rank and ignoring all attempts at justification is all that rankles me, although I understand how you took it the wrong way originally, in anything involving my work with a superior I have no experience with I assume the worst until I know them: Now I know you to a degree and see you are a fairer leader than most I ever seen "
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:24:10 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2014, 03:09:09 am »

That would probably make it more effective, although single shot.  It'd still be useful as a long-ranged kin amp.

((The basic idea is to have it as an armor-killer.

Reason for springs is simple- you need something which will keep the spearhead off the active end of the kinetic amp until you actually want to stab with it, yet will still allow it to touch the amp when you stab with it.

Reason for spear is simple- Kinetic amp behind a sharp point is hopefully more deadly than kinetic amp on the end of your fist.

Hopefully it'll do good work as a shaped charge on a stick, spearheads hopefully being pretty cheap to replace.
The reason I use a kinetic amp instead of an actual shaped charge on a stick is for better management. Explosives have to deal with that whole newton's law thing, so it'd kick like a bitch. Kinetic amp is all forward motion.

Also, on the subject of reading comprehension, I wouldn't term it as 'one use'.
The idea is to have a ready supply of spearheads, and just replace them as the kinetic amp demolishes them.))
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:38 am »

The kinetic amp works in such a way that anything attached to it will fly off into the distance after the first impact. The spear tip will shoot off and turn a powerful kinetic impact into a dangerous, but completely superfluous piercing attack.

And it will be patently useless against armored targets - the spear tip will splatter on impact like a bullet, instead of the amp delivering all of the amplified force into the armor and the target directly. You're better off shooting spearheads from a gauss accelerator, at least you're not limited to 20 shots per 3 tokens.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:45 am »

The kinetic amp works in such a way that anything attached to it will fly off into the distance after the first impact.
That's only if it actually penetrates whatever you're shoving it up against.

However, good point on the theory that it might just end up acting as a crumple zone between the amp and the armor it's hitting.
A heavier spearhead, maybe?

(And also my character is good with uncon and terrible with con... So Gauss accelerator isn't exactly on cards for him specifically.)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 127