Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 211508 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2014, 10:32:13 am »

Why not just a heavy staff with a kinamp strike head? Or a spear if you really want a piercing weapon, but put the kinamp on the other end, so you can strike with it directly.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

Kinamp hammer would be interesting. Especially if it rolls off str checks. That's not an incredibly useful stat nowadays.

I could try and pull the magnetics from the tesla saber in order to try and force the kinetic amp to discharge into a sharp point?
(Edit: Which is a great idea except it removes what would be necessary in the first place - i.e. shards of superheated steel fragments. If it just cuts cleanly through, that doesn't have enough collateral. Unless it's likely to cause spalling, which I'm not sure of considering the synthflesh and newmetals.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:41:59 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »

Kinetic amps already test strength, or at least they normally do from all usages I've seen so far.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »

I see. Very well then, you may stay if you wish to.

All right. All of you have passed, a fact I find not surprising at all. You did come here with some expectation as to what we would be doing and knowledge of your own abilities, after all. Even if I think you would be more valuable with the Sword, you still have the opportunity to stay. The choice is now on you.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

"Yay! I don't think I'd be very good at the swordy stuff, so I'll stay."
Grate is remembering the one mission he went on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »

Walk away from the spawn.

Summon and disassemble a laser rifle, rocket rifle and scout eye.
Try to connect a laser module from the rifle and a camera with propulsion system and control board from the scout eye to one battery from the rifle.
Then, fit the laser module on top of the rocket rifle, camera - under the barrel. Fit
<that thing from the propulsion system> with the circutry and the battery near the rear side of the camera.
Rewire the circutry so that the first pull of the trigger sends N rockets
(N is set on the side of the gun with a rotary switch) and activates the automatic tracking system (that's what parts from the scout eye are for) and on the second pull of the trigger it explodes the rockets with the laser.

Then, test, how much time does it take for 1 rocket to be exploded by the laser. (Needed for battery usage stats)

Then, spawn some mannequins on distances of 33, 50, 75, 100, 150, 250 and 500 feet from my current location.
Commence testing.
We all know each other and often meet IRL. The league of Nikitian's friends.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »

Walk away from the spawn.

Summon and disassemble a laser rifle, rocket rifle and scout eye.
Try to connect a laser module from the rifle and a camera with propulsion system and control board from the scout eye to one battery from the rifle.
Then, fit the laser module on top of the rocket rifle, camera - under the barrel. Fit
<that thing from the propulsion system> with the circutry and the battery near the rear side of the camera.
Rewire the circutry so that the first pull of the trigger sends N rockets
(N is set on the side of the gun with a rotary switch) and activates the automatic tracking system (that's what parts from the scout eye are for) and on the second pull of the trigger it explodes the rockets with the laser.

Then, test, how much time does it take for 1 rocket to be exploded by the laser. (Needed for battery usage stats)

Then, spawn some mannequins on distances of 33, 50, 75, 100, 150, 250 and 500 feet from my current location.
Commence testing.
Problem with that setup is that it assumes scout eyes have some sort of tracking and guidance system that can be used to target a laser at a moving rocket. They do not. In fact, Scout eyes are literally nothing more then a camera attached to rockets.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

It's Tinkertime!

Spawn a crystalline projector. Use Explode on it; study how it works (how a crystalline projectile is formed, how it is propelled and so forth).

Check the results of a crystalline projectile hitting 'soft' unprotected organical tissue (of a human), standart robot platform machinery, battlesuit plate (in a weak spot) and synthflesh.

Hey, Steve! Is there anything special about these crystals that we should know? I have a hunch there is more to them than just being thrown like rocks and their spontaneous growth. Weren't they once a bloody weird alien race, after all?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2014, 10:14:43 am »

It's Tinkertime!

Spawn a crystalline projector. Use Explode on it; study how it works (how a crystalline projectile is formed, how it is propelled and so forth).

Check the results of a crystalline projectile hitting 'soft' unprotected organical tissue (of a human), standart robot platform machinery, battlesuit plate (in a weak spot) and synthflesh.

Hey, Steve! Is there anything special about these crystals that we should know? I have a hunch there is more to them than just being thrown like rocks and their spontaneous growth. Weren't they once a bloody weird alien race, after all?
The crystals appear to be formed via the use of a super concentrated solution and some manner of electrical crystallization. From what you can tell, the solution will naturally form these crystals when exposed to the right type of electrical charge.

It is propelled using some sort of repulsive force...something similar to magnetism but electrical in nature and seemingly effecting only this crystal. Perhaps playing on some sort of unknown property of the crystal itself.

The results are pretty much a unanimous "Pierce it and then explode into shards and electricity." with the actual effectiveness of the action varying by target.

>Alien race? No. But they were developed using technology lifted from a xeno-archeological site.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:17 am »

((Uhh, are we talking about the crystalline projector and not the piezoelectric shard launcher? I mean, 'explode into shards and electricity' and no mention of 'grow within the target'?))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:30 am »

((Uhh, are we talking about the crystalline projector and not the piezoelectric shard launcher? I mean, 'explode into shards and electricity' and no mention of 'grow within the target'?))
ah, yeah, sorry, brain fart. Similar names, figured you wouldn't be asking about it since you have ooc knowledge about it's creation. etc.

Er. If I remember right the thing is mostly a black box.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2014, 03:08:53 pm »

Would you mind if I also tinkered in here while researching in the on ship thread? There's a lot of stuff I wanna do, but I don't wanna overload you with my stuff.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:58 am »

((So OOC knowledge shall be it, if you appear not to mind.))
How long does the crystal cluster keep growing? If embedded in a human, would it grow throughout him? What about an elephant? That huge-manylegs-creature from the Abyss mission?

How well do the crystals grow within 'harder' materials like brainbot hardware? What about synthflesh? Can they penetrate armor (say, battlesuit plate in a weak/cracked spot?)?

Is it 'ACCESS DENIED' sort of blackbox (like the manipulators), or 'We don't understand it' sort of blackbox (like the High Energy Projector)?

Observe the results of successful crystal augmentation (the victim perfectly enduring the crystal growth). What changes does that introduce to the organism functioning? What are the short-term and long-term effects?
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:10 pm »

Would you mind if I also tinkered in here while researching in the on ship thread? There's a lot of stuff I wanna do, but I don't wanna overload you with my stuff.

Sure.

((So OOC knowledge shall be it, if you appear not to mind.))
How long does the crystal cluster keep growing? If embedded in a human, would it grow throughout him? What about an elephant? That huge-manylegs-creature from the Abyss mission?

How well do the crystals grow within 'harder' materials like brainbot hardware? What about synthflesh? Can they penetrate armor (say, battlesuit plate in a weak/cracked spot?)?

Is it 'ACCESS DENIED' sort of blackbox (like the manipulators), or 'We don't understand it' sort of blackbox (like the High Energy Projector)?

Observe the results of successful crystal augmentation (the victim perfectly enduring the crystal growth). What changes does that introduce to the organism functioning? What are the short-term and long-term effects?

Crystals grow for a set amount of time, regardless of what they hit.

They have limits, but they are quite sharp and the force with which they grow is pretty great. They could pierce battlesuit stuff with a good shot, though the damage they would do is erratic since they can't really be aimed, as it were.

As in the tinker interface just has a big black area on the schematics and attempting to access it just reveals a blank area.

"No Data Available" when you try to do that action.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2014, 01:34:16 pm »

If I may ask: Steve, why is this information to be withheld from us? It's not like we are convicts anymore, if I recall correctly; it's not like we would - or even could, knowing your all-watching eye - dump the data to the UWM or something. And, it is not like these crystals are in any part connected to the Enigma of field manipulation, right?
So, could you please lift the restrictions and let us play with this technology to our hearts content and to the scientific glory and military might of the ARM? In the end, that's why we have Tinker, isn't it?

Load up the ammo variants used by the rocketrifle and the Sibilus gaussrocket hybrid rifle. To check: are the default variants explosive in both cases? What about special kinds of ammo?

Look up Hazmat suits like those once used by the infamous Men In Black Hazmat Suits of Paracelsus's Sword. What sorts of protection do they offer?

Look up Neotherm and it's properties.
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 127