Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 211944 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »

Ask Steve what the 'the Young Experiment' was.

See reference.

If any research points left, look up the major engagements of the Red Moon rebellion. What tactics were used? What hardware? (this is for both sides)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:13:08 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »

Can cameyes be programmed to detect other things? EMF from electronics for example or integrate a rangefinder or use whatever Doppler measurement they use to detect vibration to detect speed. Or do they use some kind of infrared beam or optical analysis to detect motion?
Because I was thinking of using the motion sensor to pick up sound, so even in vacuum and with no radio, I could hear people. Or I could use it to pick up the vibrations inside a Sod Commander's suit, thus allowing me to record their voice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:55:14 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2014, 12:30:21 am »

((Uh oh! My research points must be running low! :P ))
Examine the hazmat suits. How much do they cost? Can they be integrated into Mk series suits (modular design and all) or worn over? Also, on their own, are they even space-worthy?

Look up 'modern' UWM military-employed suits.
Compared to the Mk series, how good are they? Have any of the critical vulnerabilities of Mk series been overcome (the heat fins, electrical/radiation insulation, chemical resistance, etc.)?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2014, 12:35:20 am »

Examine the hazmat suits. How much do they cost? Can they be integrated into Mk series suits (modular design and all) or worn over? Also, on their own, are they even space-worthy?

Compared to the Mk series, how good are they? Have any of the critical vulnerabilities of Mk series been overcome (the heat fins, electrical/radiation insulation, chemical resistance, etc.)?

((The heat fins are a Mk1-only feature. Mk2 and up do not have that vulnerability, as they're no longer mere repurposed spacesuits. Also, radiation insulation is one of the stronger points of the Mk series already, together with thermal insulation.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2014, 10:02:35 am »

Ask Steve what the 'the Young Experiment' was.

See reference.

If any research points left, look up the major engagements of the Red Moon rebellion. What tactics were used? What hardware? (this is for both sides)

That was steve making reference to a real experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_interference_experiment

NO LORE FOR YOU! Sorry.

As per the red moon rebellions, you won't find much in the way of specific data about them because...well...that was probably one of the UWM's most brutal uses of force against other humans. They don't particularly like the details of what was, in essence, a genocide, to be published for general scrutiny.

Can cameyes be programmed to detect other things? EMF from electronics for example or integrate a rangefinder or use whatever Doppler measurement they use to detect vibration to detect speed. Or do they use some kind of infrared beam or optical analysis to detect motion?
Because I was thinking of using the motion sensor to pick up sound, so even in vacuum and with no radio, I could hear people. Or I could use it to pick up the vibrations inside a Sod Commander's suit, thus allowing me to record their voice.

Hypothetically, it's possible. Not sure if the cam eyes are the best choice for it though. I mean, you're gonna need some badass level sensors to be able to detect the vibrations of a helmet from a distance and translate it into sound. I mean, think about how fucking small those vibrations are. Think about all the other noises it would have to contend with. And if that sod shakes his head it's gonna blow your eardrums out.

You could probably wear the suit over a normal suit, with a few alterations.

When you say their suits, do you mean sod suits or the suits normal human soldiers would wear?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

NO LORE FOR YOU! Sorry.
Huh, didn't think Steve would be making references to (from this game's perspective) ancient physics experiments. I know what the experiment was, we spend some time on it in physics class. Oh well, I'll just get my fluff somewhere else.

As per the red moon rebellions, you won't find much in the way of specific data about them because...well...that was probably one of the UWM's most brutal uses of force against other humans. They don't particularly like the details of what was, in essence, a genocide, to be published for general scrutiny.

Ask Steve if he could tell me more about them. I already know the general history, I'm looking for more specific stuff, like how the rebels managed to hold out as long as they did, and what eventually did them in.

Look for info on the latest wars the UWM was in (not counting our rebellion). How's the Haebi war going, for example?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

NO LORE FOR YOU! Sorry.
Huh, didn't think Steve would be making references to (from this game's perspective) ancient physics experiments. I know what the experiment was, we spend some time on it in physics class. Oh well, I'll just get my fluff somewhere else.

He's already made references to actual films from this era at least once.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2014, 10:39:07 am »

NO LORE FOR YOU! Sorry.

Ask Steve if he could tell me more about them. I already know the general history, I'm looking for more specific stuff, like how the rebels managed to hold out as long as they did, and what eventually did them in.

Look for info on the latest wars the UWM was in (not counting our rebellion). How's the Haebi war going, for example?

Mostly they managed to survive by using their knowledge of the area and the fact the UWM Never really took them seriously for a long time. They sent in small squads not armed for the close quarters urban combat that they were going to be doing. It was really a boondoggle  on their part. What eventually ended it was simply the use of specialized extermination troops.

Haebi war was never really a war so much as an attempt to exterminate a possibly dangerous life form. It's an intermittent conflict at best.  The UWM hasn't had what you would call a good old fashion war for centuries.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »

What eventually ended it was simply the use of specialized extermination troops.
Could you tell me more about these troops? What exactly did they use? Did the rebels have any sort of response to it, or were they wiped away immediately?
Haebi war was never really a war so much as an attempt to exterminate a possibly dangerous life form. It's an intermittent conflict at best. The UWM hasn't had what you would call a good old fashion war for centuries.
Did they succeed in this endeavor? What's the latest news about it that Steve knows about?

Finally, open new tinker project. Name pending.
Search for chemicals with strong adhesive properties. Then look for strong foaming agents that work with this product. I'm looking to create some sort of extremely sticky goop to restrain and detain civilians in a non-lethal way. Kinda like the 'containment foam' in Worm.
Oh, and a strong polymer whose monomers don't start crosslinking without their appropriate catalyst as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:16:46 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2014, 10:58:19 am »

What eventually ended it was simply the use of specialized extermination troops.
Could you tell me more about these troops? What exactly did they use? Did the rebels have any sort of response to it, or were they wiped away immediately?
Haebi war was never really a war so much as an attempt to exterminate a possibly dangerous life form. It's an intermittent conflict at best. The UWM hasn't had what you would call a good old fashion war for centuries.
Did they succeed in this endeavor? What's the latest news about it that Steve knows about?

Finally, open new tinker project. Name pending.
Search for chemicals with strong adhesive properties. Then look for strong foaming agents that work with this product. I'm looking to create some sort of extremely sticky goop to restrain and detain civilians in a non-lethal way. Kinda like the 'containment foam' in Worm.
Oh, and a strong polymer whose monomers don't start crosslinking without their appropriate catalyst as well.

Poison gas, Fire and radiation. They basically fumigated the place. In fact, you may want to talk to lars about it, he may recognize such a being.

They stuck around for a bit, but surrendered fairly quickly. Standard procedure was to fight their way to the environmental control and then start pumping poison into the entire air supply. When you hear about an entire colony reduced to piles of blistered, melting meat by artificially enhanced supertoxins you kinda lose your will to fight.

They'll probably never really succeed in it until they know the source, which they don't. If I had to guess I could probably get close, but I'm not gonna tell them that. Let them split their forces  between two fronts. Better for us.

As per their recent actions, they managed to destroy a spore world, which is a pretty impressive thing to see. Even I'll admit that they're good at killing things when they get in the groove.

Oh god there is a video I want to link here from youtube. Oh god. Oh god. Strong adhesive properties. Oh god. Don't click that. Don't ask me where I found It. I forget.

Ahem. So you want a foam that is very sticky and comes in two parts so you need to apply the catalyst before it starts. Ok. How fast acting you want it to be? Want to spray them with the goo then the catalyst? Or mix them before firing and just fire a spray of the expanding goo?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »

Poison gas, Fire and radiation. They basically fumigated the place. In fact, you may want to talk to lars about it, he may recognize such a being.

((He might?  /me thinks back... ))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:23 pm »

((Wasn't sure what he meant there, was hoping you'd know...
Think harder! Think until your brains explode!))

They'll probably never really succeed in it until they know the source, which they don't. If I had to guess I could probably get close, but I'm not gonna tell them that. Let them split their forces  between two fronts. Better for us.
As per their recent actions, they managed to destroy a spore world, which is a pretty impressive thing to see. Even I'll admit that they're good at killing things when they get in the groove.
Ask Steve if he has video footage of that event. If yes, watch it.

So you want a foam that is very sticky and comes in two parts so you need to apply the catalyst before it starts. Ok. How fast acting you want it to be? Want to spray them with the goo then the catalyst? Or mix them before firing and just fire a spray of the expanding goo?
Mix before firing. Make the catalyst strong enough for rapid crosslinking, but weak enough that it takes a little while to really heavily start the reaction. In other words, add a window of time between mixture exiting spray nozzle and maximum crosslinking (to prevent the goo expanding too fast and not encapsulating the target).
(One way to realistically achieve this is to add another component to the goo, which acts as a 'catalyst for the catalyst'. Basically, the goo crosslinking catalyst only works once the secondary catalyst activates it. That way, by choosing the amount of secondary catalyst one can choose the time at which the reaction starts, while still getting very fast reaction once it gets going)

The effective range (range at which it can still ensnare a victim reliably) of the goop will probably be limited to melee-short range, with lower medium range being the upper limit. It should start crosslinking once it's about 1m out of the spray, so a second or two after launch (this'll depend on the exit speed of the mix)

Secondly, in choosing the polymer, be sure to also look for something that can dissolve the crosslinked goop. Also look for something that can wash away the adhesive (hopefully without being extremely toxic).

(I'll look into the hardware once the chem mixture and such is done, m'kay?)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:38:52 pm by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

You've never met him, but you've read about him.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:43 pm »

((Oh right!  Looks like we have a winner, then: ))

"Sim-de: God of Poison and toxins: Sim-de the toxic."

The image on the opposing page shows a man in an armored, black chemsuit with a great tank of poison on his back and what looks like the sprayer part of a flame thrower, minus the pilot light. The symbol at the bottom of the page is a bit odd. It shows a crude drawing of a gas mask with a large arrow pointing to the right at three circles arranged in an upside down triangle shape, two on top, one on the bottom. After a moment of staring at it you notice that the upper circles correspond to the circular view ports on the mask while the lower one matches the large, circular central filter.

"Sim-de is mindless, indiscriminate and pays no heed to anything but a compulsive need to spread his toxins. Luckily, his favor is also granted just as thoughtlessly and his symbol is thought to grant protection from exposure to toxins as well as aid in healing of toxic exposure. There are some who believe that being branded with his symbol grants, or rather curses, the worshiper with toxicity. "

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2014, 04:34:08 am »

Fine. Let's get in the thick of it.
Start a new project. Working name 'ROSES-IV'.
Spawn a Black hazmat suit. Fit the Mk II medical & life support systems in it.
Add/upgrade full in-depth user health monitoring subsystem capable of detecting mind tampering side effects as well, automatically send the data to the user's designated team leader and mission control (i.e. Steve).
Integrate a small tank of medifoam and a small tank of fleshknitter into the med system: the substances are to be applied automatically in microdoses where necessary.
Reprogram the system to close gaping wounds with medifoam rather than cut the damaged bodyparts off where it is preferable.
Add the 'field remount' option of unsnapping an iris and fleshknitting the cut. Supplying medication to the snapped off bodypart must also be possible.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 127