Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214772 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »

Sounds good. I think I'll have Jack load the design onto the VR when he get a chance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:45 pm »

Again: I wish I knew more about ceramics. I'm willing to bet that battlesuit plate isn't as brittle as common pottery, though. And hm...conducts heat pretty well. Melts, obviously, but at high temperatures. And plasma is about the only non-esoteric way to get to those high temperatures. I'll try something...different.

I think I'll try something slightly 40k-inspired.

Title Project "Monobolas".

Connect two weights with the thin wire stuff a monorazor's "blade" is made out of. Include some kind of vibrator mechanism in the weights to make the wire oscillate (one retracts while the other releases).
Create a launcher which launches them at high speed. Perhaps a Gauss thing?

Test on a human, a wooden pillar, and a battlesuit. Determine price.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

>Listen to PW ramble about unrelated stuff.

GWG, that's already been done.  Look up Bishop's MBL design.  It's fairly effective against battlesuits, assuming they don't react quickly and break the cord.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

((Didnt they need to smash the actual bolas? Trying to break the wire itself seems like kind of a bad idea.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:42 pm »

((Didnt they need to smash the actual bolas? Trying to break the wire itself seems like kind of a bad idea.))
((There's a finite speed they can cut at, at the thickness where they can be used in bolas, and they are fundamentally fairly fragile when not taut - a battlesuit has enough armor to stay together long enough to wiggle itself until they break.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »

((There are varieties of monofilaments I think, with some being able to cut much faster than others. Of course, that means they're a lot more expensive too.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »

GWG, that's already been done.  Look up Bishop's MBL design.  It's fairly effective against battlesuits, assuming they don't react quickly and break the cord.
Goddammit. Someone really needs to...wait, someone already indexed all the tinker stuff, didn't they? Where did that go and has it been updated lately?

Hm.

Determine how hot you need to get to melt or soften battlesuit armor. Ideally, this information would come with a suggestion or two on what (other than plasma) could easily reach such a temperature.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »

okay but not quite good enough

put the big laser thingy away and begin anew!
Spoiler: new design (click to show/hide)
[/b]
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

Again: I wish I knew more about ceramics. I'm willing to bet that battlesuit plate isn't as brittle as common pottery, though. And hm...conducts heat pretty well. Melts, obviously, but at high temperatures. And plasma is about the only non-esoteric way to get to those high temperatures. I'll try something...different.

I think I'll try something slightly 40k-inspired.

Title Project "Monobolas".

Connect two weights with the thin wire stuff a monorazor's "blade" is made out of. Include some kind of vibrator mechanism in the weights to make the wire oscillate (one retracts while the other releases).
Create a launcher which launches them at high speed. Perhaps a Gauss thing?

Test on a human, a wooden pillar, and a battlesuit. Determine price.

Read...mission 3? I think it was. Zako made that exact thing. Literally that exact thing.

>Listen to PW ramble about unrelated stuff.

Quiet worlds are probably one of the more interesting ideas, in my mind, when it comes to this game. It's a sort of fundamentally different vision of the end of the world; one not of big old nukes or viruses but where people just sort of went extinct in a quiet, peaceful manner and left behind a world of high tech, self sufficient machines. I really like the concept of exploring one of them; in fact on of the original ideas that come from ER was a sort of roguelike set in a quiet world where the objective would be to penetrate as deep into the substructure as you could. Perma death, of course, with people going on on their own or in groups; making your own weapons with high tech junk, plunging the increasingly strange and magical depths, etc.

Goddammit. Someone really needs to...wait, someone already indexed all the tinker stuff, didn't they? Where did that go and has it been updated lately?

Hm.

Determine how hot you need to get to melt or soften battlesuit armor. Ideally, this information would come with a suggestion or two on what (other than plasma) could easily reach such a temperature.
Around 3500 c. Try some Dicyanoacetylene or oxygen lance.
okay but not quite good enough

put the big laser thingy away and begin anew!
Spoiler: new design (click to show/hide)
[/b]
So basically a higher speed, lower mass gauss rifle?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »

Sigh, and create the following thing.

Then record a video of myself going through the whole thing, demonstrating and examining everything I set up in detail.  Send an invitation to Simus to join the scenario with me, along with this text and the recording I just made.

Quote from: Text from Steve Saint to Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis
I have set up a full VR demonstration of my SS/BEARD-9 prototype.  I would like to walk you through it so I can detail its capabilities, so I have sent you an invitation.

However, in case you are too busy at the moment, I have also sent you a recording of myself walking through the demonstration and examining all the important things.  I still recommend you join the demonstration yourself, simply so you can ask questions and test things that I have not thought of.

((Also: this quote, in case Pyro missed it.))

Spoiler: SS/BEARD-9 (click to show/hide)

Send the schematics to Simus, along with the following message.

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis

I have completed your assigned project.  My device has proven to be four tokens cheaper than the piezoelectric shard generator, although combat simulations have shown it to be somewhat less effective as well.

Notably, it leaves the battlesuit mostly recoverable, and has the capacity to be used as a trap.  Frankly, the latter function is probably more useful than firing it- its primary reason for being conventionally launched is to fulfill your assignment's requirement.

Finally, if PW is willing, relax and pull up more data on quiet worlds.  Are there any that have been really extensively explored?  Any interesting stories from exploration expeditions into these worlds?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »

Around 3500 c. Try some Dicyanoacetylene or oxygen lance.
Right after I look up what those are.

Alright, here we go...

1. Attempt to construct a thermal lance which can be used as a projectile. In the front is hot, directed with some kind of small hole in the middle is a rube full of iron rods, and in the back is a canister of pressurized oxygen. The whole thing is encased in a protective sheath of plastic or something, as aerodynamic as it can be with a hole in the front for the burning iron to come out. Call it the Thermal Pike.

2. Attempt to make thermite with tungsten replacing the iron; if that fails, try niobium, osmium, rhenium, uranium, and zirconium; and if that fails try boron, carbon, lanthanum, and neodymium.
I'm a bit fuzzy on the mechanics of oxidation, but Wikipedia says thermite can reach temperatures close to the boiling point of iron or whatever metal is oxidized in its place, and the aforementioned elements have boiling points near or well above 3,500 C.

Dicyanoacetylene's Wikipedia article is surprisingly uninspiring.
3. Fill some kind of light blue plastic sphere with dicyanoacetylene and include a lighting mechanism which can be remotely triggered. Call it the Cyan Bomb,  or the DEAD (short for Dicyanoacetylene Explosively Armed Device).

Fire a Thermal Pike at a battlesuit with an appropriate gauss thingy.
Detonate any successful quasi-thermite near a battlesuit.
Did I mention that I'm a bit fuzzy on how people use thermite?
Throw a DEAD or two at a battlesuit.

Determine effectiveness and cost of such weapons.
Sig

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2014, 02:19:27 am »

((I don't know whether this goes in here or the on-ship thread, but I'll put it here because it will likely evolve into tinker.))

Test the effectiveness of different weapon types against different types of armor and other defensive measures. Include the crossbow from far back with the different bolt tips.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2014, 03:26:06 am »

((It is more of a sniper weapon that could sustain fire and the gauss array has been maximised by running just a hair less current through it than would melt the wiring, making the coils bigger and using larger rounds so it is much more powerful and the impact is smaller))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2014, 05:39:41 am »

Analyse stinky fungus.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »

I would say each model wouldn't be more expensive than their nuclear counterpart, for the same yield. Maybe 1 token more for the clean-bomb effect.

Resource-wise, these things could potentially be cheaper than nukes, I think. Compare the rarity of near and trans-uranic elements, especially the isotopes that are actually any good for use in nuclear weapons, to deuterium, or aluminium. About the only complicated part is the firing mechanisms. And higher yields won't really be that much more expensive since the yield goes up if you increase the mass of the aluminium liner.

Quote from: Simus>Anton, Steve Saint
I will be judging when everyone's designs are done.

In the meantime, Anton, come and show me this idea you want to prototype.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:09:12 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 127