Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 211516 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2014, 12:20:00 am »

I think that in case of the Avatar, it's just a regular coilgun, just making use of the considerable power output and natural toughness of the machine, simultaneously avoiding the problems of rail erosion and heating.

Seriously, with the Avatar you could probably have it fire tungsten rebar using an auto-drawn synthflesh bowstring embedded in the arm, and it'd work as well, if not better than a gauss cannon.

My design would be intended for more... personal (as in man-portable) use, and with less egregious power requirements (though with quite a bit of a strength requirement).
A gunner bot also has a coilgun, mounted on a not-synthflesh base. So a coilgun probably doesn't need Avatar strength to work.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:46 am »

I think that in case of the Avatar, it's just a regular coilgun, just making use of the considerable power output and natural toughness of the machine, simultaneously avoiding the problems of rail erosion and heating.

Seriously, with the Avatar you could probably have it fire tungsten rebar using an auto-drawn synthflesh bowstring embedded in the arm, and it'd work as well, if not better than a gauss cannon.

My design would be intended for more... personal (as in man-portable) use, and with less egregious power requirements (though with quite a bit of a strength requirement).
A gunner bot also has a coilgun, mounted on a not-synthflesh base. So a coilgun probably doesn't need Avatar strength to work.
Probably, but I'd still like to try that design out. No reason not to, at least in VR. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:06 am »

((Ah, you mentioned "problems of rail erosion and heating".  Is that not an advantage of a coilgun, as opposed to a railgun?  You don't need a good barrel, or even contact with anything necessary to firing?

Also, I as well have a massive amount of Tinker projects.  Several of which are to clear up old arguments ("Is a max level decomp really three decomps of the previous type?"), and most of which have to do with automanips.  I'm sure that if I get enough data on them, I can break the game.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

((Well, the device I'm planning is really most likely to be a coilgun in principle, except one fed by a constant power source rather than capacitors. A cyclotron accelerates particles within a spiraling magnetic field, starting at the center and moving outward as the particles pick up speed. Applying a similar principle to a gauss weapon could allow "chambering" a stream of magnetic rounds, utilizing a constant power supply to accelerate them all at once, slower, but with the ability to spew them out at a rapid, constant rate. It's be a little like a gauss minigun, it'll take a second to spool up but once it starts firing it can keep firing till the ammunition runs out. At least, in theory.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:00 am »

Also, I as well have a massive amount of Tinker projects.  Several of which are to clear up old arguments ("Is a max level decomp really three decomps of the previous type?"), and most of which have to do with automanips.  I'm sure that if I get enough data on them, I can break the game.))

"Because the last one  is just three of the ones before it stuck together. It's actually under-priced."

That's from the AM.  I suppose she could be lying, but that's convincing enough for me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:24 am »

((Well, the device I'm planning is really most likely to be a coilgun in principle, except one fed by a constant power source rather than capacitors. A cyclotron accelerates particles within a spiraling magnetic field, starting at the center and moving outward as the particles pick up speed. Applying a similar principle to a gauss weapon could allow "chambering" a stream of magnetic rounds, utilizing a constant power supply to accelerate them all at once, slower, but with the ability to spew them out at a rapid, constant rate. It's be a little like a gauss minigun, it'll take a second to spool up but once it starts firing it can keep firing till the ammunition runs out. At least, in theory.))

Feyri got a rotary gauss machinegun as her Christmas gift. I kinda suspect that'll be cheaper than building a miniature cyclotron.

Sorry for shooting down your stuff by the way, just trying to prevent you from doing unnecessary work.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:44 am »

Mechanical arm brace that uses motors to position your arm would work, I should think.

1) Would this brace hinder other uses of that arm in any way? Could I still punch stuff with it effectively?
2) Can it be turned off without it hindering use of that arm?
3) If turned on, will it turn every role for that arm into an AUX one? (e.g. if I punch a fool with the brace activated, what rolls would that use?)
4)What would it cost?

In that instance, in this simulation, nothing seems to happen. Hmm. You've beginning to think that the VR machines don't have a whole lot of accurate information on these things.

5)Ask Steve if he has a video that shows what happens when an AoW pilot dies with the suit still intact.
6)If not, ask if he could describe it to me.

1.if it's designed correctly, I don't see why not.
2.See answer 1.
3.Yes, but it will only really be useful for shooting most of the time,unless you preprogram very specific actions, since trying to hit someone with it would be far too slow.
4.Probably not a lot. It would just be a metal brace with motors. 3-4 token probably, if you're just gonna use it for aiming.

5-6: >That depends on the strength of will of the pilot, their clarity of vision. The pilot of an avatar who his actively sync-ed is extremely hard to kill permanently. More often then not, you see a sync backflow and blending occur. Mechanically there are guards against this: Fluspirilene coated, graphite core, neural inhibiting spears, high dose tranquilizers, pulsed electrical current to the heart, etc. It rarely works. But you're not interested in the minutiae are you? When the pilot dies, he doesn't die. He becomes part of the avatar. If his mind is strong, the avatar will carry out whatever goal he had in death. If not, it will simply do whatever it wants now that it has been freed from it's constraints.

That manipulator you gave it makes it even more dangerous.

lw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Get info on scout eye thrust systems, such as dimensions, power and energy capacitance.
Also,
Find cheapest hackable electronics, to mess with.
We all know each other and often meet IRL. The league of Nikitian's friends.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »

2.See answer 1.
3.Yes, but it will only really be useful for shooting most of the time,unless you preprogram very specific actions, since trying to hit someone with it would be far too slow.
4.Probably not a lot. It would just be a metal brace with motors. 3-4 token probably, if you're just gonna use it for aiming.

5-6: >That depends on the strength of will of the pilot, their clarity of vision. The pilot of an avatar who his actively sync-ed is extremely hard to kill permanently. More often then not, you see a sync backflow and blending occur. Mechanically there are guards against this: Fluspirilene coated, graphite core, neural inhibiting spears, high dose tranquilizers, pulsed electrical current to the heart, etc. It rarely works. But you're not interested in the minutiae are you? When the pilot dies, he doesn't die. He becomes part of the avatar. If his mind is strong, the avatar will carry out whatever goal he had in death. If not, it will simply do whatever it wants now that it has been freed from it's constraints.

1) Would I need to design this brace myself from scratch, or is there one available for purchase from the Armory?

2) Ask if the things described also occur if the neural inhibitors were at 100%, and if not what happens instead.
3) Ask Steve how many inmates piloted an AoW before, and how he handled it if they became rebellious or they needed to be extracted for taking their brain (for adding to Steve).
4) Is there some sort of way of shutting down the Avatar? If one went berserk, does Steve have some sort of failsafe for that to stop it?
5) Could the automatic injector system be modified to allow injection at will (as in, when I want it to) of a stat boosting pill? Would this require a roll?
6) Could the automatic injector system be modified to automatically inject a stat boosting pill on certain conditions (e.g. when detecting the pilot is gravely wounded, or when detecting the pilot is loosing focus)?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:04:14 pm by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:45 am »

2.See answer 1.

1) Would I need to design this brace myself from scratch, or is there one available for purchase from the Armory?

2) Ask if the things described also occur if the neural inhibitors were at 100%, and if not what happens instead.
3) Ask Steve how many inmates piloted an AoW before, and how he handled it if they became rebellious or they needed to be extracted for taking their brain (for adding to Steve).
4) Is there some sort of way of shutting down the Avatar? If one went berserk, does Steve have some sort of failsafe for that to stop it?
5) Could the automatic injector system be modified to allow injection at will (as in, when I want it to) of a stat boosting pill? Would this require a roll?
6) Could the automatic injector system be modified to automatically inject a stat boosting pill on certain conditions (e.g. when detecting the pilot is gravely wounded, or when detecting the pilot is loosing focus)?

Well, it's simple so I'll give you a base model and you can see if there's anything you want to add to it.

Yes. We're not sure why.

Them acting rebellious of their own accord isn't a problem. Knocking them out works and doesn't cause problems. It's death that seems to trigger it.

Avatars are not complete. They don't function using normal metabolic processes, they draw their energy from an internal power source. This power source can be disabled (and is) when they become dangerous. However, doing so doesn't shut them down instantly, they still a minute or two worth of activity.

It is possible.

It is possible, though "losing focus" injections might require some extra sensors rather then the bio-sensors that detect injury.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2014, 04:36:28 pm »

Well, it's simple so I'll give you a base model and you can see if there's anything you want to add to it.

Yes. We're not sure why.

Them acting rebellious of their own accord isn't a problem. Knocking them out works and doesn't cause problems. It's death that seems to trigger it.

Avatars are not complete. They don't function using normal metabolic processes, they draw their energy from an internal power source. This power source can be disabled (and is) when they become dangerous. However, doing so doesn't shut them down instantly, they still a minute or two worth of activity.

It is possible.

It is possible, though "losing focus" injections might require some extra sensors rather then the bio-sensors that detect injury.

1) could I get a price estate on a mechanical brace that:
-turns con into aux roll, but only for aiming/shooting a weapon with that arm
-can be turned of and on easily from within the Avatar
-when deactivated, does not hinder use of that arm in any way.
-can be detached in case it gets damaged and starts screwing up the aim
-can be added/improved upon later (hard- or software)

2) when Steve is not around to deactivate the power source, will it deactivate on it's own when the Avatar is going berserk? If yes, how does the suit know when to do that? What does it measure?

3) what would you need to reliably sense the loss of focus? Would brainwave/brain activity be sufficient? Or are there other/better options?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:58:24 pm by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:07 am »

Yes. We're not sure why.

It is possible.

1) could I get a price estate on a mechanical brace that:
-turns con into aux roll, but only for aiming/shooting a weapon with that arm
-can be turned of and on easily from within the Avatar
-when deactivated, does not hinder use of that arm in any way.
-can be detached in case it gets damaged and starts screwing up the aim
-can be added/improved upon later (hard- or software)

2) when Steve is not around to deactivate the power source, will it deactivate on it's own when the Avatar is going berserk? If yes, how does the suit know when to do that? What does it measure?

3) what would you need to reliably sense the loss of focus? Would brainwave/brain activity be sufficient? Or are there other/better options?

Letsee..

Shoot for 4. Since it's just a metal brace with a set of motors that just have to disengage and allow free movement when not in use.

Steve or someone else needs to deactivate it currently.

Probably a calibrated brainwave monitor.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »

Letsee..

Shoot for 4. Since it's just a metal brace with a set of motors that just have to disengage and allow free movement when not in use.
That's quite affordable. Coolio.

What would be the price for:
1) a calibrated brainwave monitor?
2) a pill injection system that activates either when prompted by the user, or when the brainwave monitor detects pilot losing focus too much?

And questions:
3) could that auto-shut off be coupled to this brainwave monitor?
4) could control be given to a teammate?
5) if power is cut, does this damage the synthflesh/avatar as a whole/pilot? Is there a separate power source for powering the life support systems? How badly does the pilot suffer if life support is cut, and how long before bad shit kicks in? Do the synthflesh cells suffer from nutrient or oxygen deprivation like regular cells do, and how badly?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:13 am »

I see. Oh well.
On the other hand, shouldn't it be allowed to tinker with it in VR without actually attempting anything on board? Say, if only to gather data to be sent to Hephaestus for real testing?
With Simus's permission perhaps?

What about any kinds of special ammo for the rocketrifle? Like chemical, insendiary, armor-piercing, etc.?

How much does a Hazmat suit cost? Can it be worn over or integrated into the Mk series suits?

How much does Neotherm cost? About how hot does it get? Is it produced on the spot by mixing two other chemicals, as I seem to remember?

((Missed me. Also, related:))
((@Piecewise
Also on the subject of neotherm so we can make a wiki page and never bother you about it again:
How long does neotherm burn for?
How long do the three chemicals take to fully react?
Does it function in vacuum/require oxygen?))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:53 am »

Letsee..

That's quite affordable. Coolio.

What would be the price for:
1) a calibrated brainwave monitor?
2) a pill injection system that activates either when prompted by the user, or when the brainwave monitor detects pilot losing focus too much?

And questions:
3) could that auto-shut off be coupled to this brainwave monitor?
4) could control be given to a teammate?
5) if power is cut, does this damage the synthflesh/avatar as a whole/pilot? Is there a separate power source for powering the life support systems? How badly does the pilot suffer if life support is cut, and how long before bad shit kicks in? Do the synthflesh cells suffer from nutrient or oxygen deprivation like regular cells do, and how badly?

1. 3-4 tokens
2. Modifying the current one to do that? 2-3 token
3.Sure, though I can't guarantee it would work. The avatar's brain feeding back into yours might confuse it, not trigger the shut off.
4.Sure.
5. Cutting power will only be dangerous to the pilot if the power is cut for long enough that he deoxygenates the fluid in there via respiration. I suppose you could starve after a while too but I hope they would cut you out before that happened, if nothing else. The synthflesh is fine.  Though, when you activate the cut, it's a mechanical separation. You'd need someone to physically restore the links.

I see. Oh well.
On the other hand, shouldn't it be allowed to tinker with it in VR without actually attempting anything on board? Say, if only to gather data to be sent to Hephaestus for real testing?
With Simus's permission perhaps?

What about any kinds of special ammo for the rocketrifle? Like chemical, insendiary, armor-piercing, etc.?

How much does a Hazmat suit cost? Can it be worn over or integrated into the Mk series suits?

How much does Neotherm cost? About how hot does it get? Is it produced on the spot by mixing two other chemicals, as I seem to remember?

((Missed me. Also, related:))
((@Piecewise
Also on the subject of neotherm so we can make a wiki page and never bother you about it again:
How long does neotherm burn for?
How long do the three chemicals take to fully react?
Does it function in vacuum/require oxygen?))
No AP, but there are explosive, incendiary and melter rounds. There's even a "Sticky grenade" round.

By mass, one kilogram burns, at standard temperature and pressure, under normal circumstances, for about 30 seconds.
Nearly instant, assuming they're mixed correctly.
It's self oxidizing.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 127