Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215973 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:49 am »

I'll assume you mean the MIB suit.
You wanna do that via just putting it over the mkII or trying to physically take all the systems out and stick it in the other suit, Because that is complex.
So Anti-mindfuck system eh? What do you want it to look for, physiology wise?
That works.
The system usually only severs if the suit is damaged in a hostile environment anyways.
You can already reopen the iris, and the suit does provide medical care to severed limbs already, though really all it does is pump it full of preserving chemicals.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »

*cough cough*

Poison gas, Fire and radiation. They basically fumigated the place. In fact, you may want to talk to lars about it, he may recognize such a being.
((He might?  /me thinks back... ))
((Wasn't sure what he meant there, was hoping you'd know...
Think harder! Think until your brains explode!))

They'll probably never really succeed in it until they know the source, which they don't. If I had to guess I could probably get close, but I'm not gonna tell them that. Let them split their forces  between two fronts. Better for us.
As per their recent actions, they managed to destroy a spore world, which is a pretty impressive thing to see. Even I'll admit that they're good at killing things when they get in the groove.
Ask Steve if he has video footage of that event. If yes, watch it.

So you want a foam that is very sticky and comes in two parts so you need to apply the catalyst before it starts. Ok. How fast acting you want it to be? Want to spray them with the goo then the catalyst? Or mix them before firing and just fire a spray of the expanding goo?
Mix before firing. Make the catalyst strong enough for rapid crosslinking, but weak enough that it takes a little while to really heavily start the reaction. In other words, add a window of time between mixture exiting spray nozzle and maximum crosslinking (to prevent the goo expanding too fast and not encapsulating the target).
(One way to realistically achieve this is to add another component to the goo, which acts as a 'catalyst for the catalyst'. Basically, the goo crosslinking catalyst only works once the secondary catalyst activates it. That way, by choosing the amount of secondary catalyst one can choose the time at which the reaction starts, while still getting very fast reaction once it gets going)

The effective range (range at which it can still ensnare a victim reliably) of the goop will probably be limited to melee-short range, with lower medium range being the upper limit. It should start crosslinking once it's about 1m out of the spray, so a second or two after launch (this'll depend on the exit speed of the mix)

Secondly, in choosing the polymer, be sure to also look for something that can dissolve the crosslinked goop. Also look for something that can wash away the adhesive (hopefully without being extremely toxic).

(I'll look into the hardware once the chem mixture and such is done, m'kay?)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:21 am »

Sorry, only read back to my last post so I missed you.

>You want the one they edited for tv? They're running it as part of a big Back patting propaganda campaign.

Alright, one problem with your goo: reaction temp change.  Reaction can either be exothermic or endothermic, and considering the speed and change, it's probably gonna be pretty pronounced. So do you want the goo to get burning hot or frostbite cold?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:44 am »

((I'd say go for cold. To restrain regular civvies, it's better to use the cold one, simply because someone burning to death (or feeling like it) is more likely to attempt violent escape than someone freezing to death - and a frozen body is easier repaired, stored, and revived than a medium rare one. People in Mk suits are less likely to suffer heat exchanger failures and die from the heat if encased, and in general it doesn't seem quite so unpleasant as the hot alternative. Jury's out on which one is more lethal, but I think that a body has less trouble generating heat than dispersing it, so something that takes heat away is less dangerous than something that turns the heat up, even if the lethal body temperature deviations in either direction are similar.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:16 am »

Sorry, only read back to my last post so I missed you.

>You want the one they edited for tv? They're running it as part of a big Back patting propaganda campaign.

No probs, it happens.

Ask him to show me the edited version first. Then, if Steve has it, look at the actual raw footage. Compare them: what are the differences? What did the UWM edit, and think about why they would edit it in that way.

Alright, one problem with your goo: reaction temp change.  Reaction can either be exothermic or endothermic, and considering the speed and change, it's probably gonna be pretty pronounced. So do you want the goo to get burning hot or frostbite cold?

I wasn't 101% sure on what it would be (I thought it'd be exothermic personally, because decreasing entropy has to be ofset), but some quick research showed this:

polymerization,  any process in which relatively small molecules, called monomers, combine chemically to produce a very large chainlike or network molecule, called a polymer. The monomer molecules may be all alike, or they may represent two, three, or more different compounds. Usually at least 100 monomer molecules must be combined to make a product that has certain unique physical properties—such as elasticity, high tensile strength, or the ability to form fibres—that differentiate polymers from substances composed of smaller and simpler molecules; often, many thousands of monomer units are incorporated in a single molecule of a polymer. The formation of stable covalent chemical bonds between the monomers sets polymerization apart from other processes, such as crystallization, in which large numbers of molecules aggregate under the influence of weak intermolecular forces.

Two classes of polymerization usually are distinguished. In condensation polymerization, each step of the process is accompanied by formation of a molecule of some simple compound, often water. In addition polymerization, monomers react to form a polymer without the formation of by-products. Addition polymerizations usually are carried out in the presence of catalysts, which in certain cases exert control over structural details that have important effects on the properties of the polymer.

Linear polymers, which are composed of chainlike molecules, may be viscous liquids or solids with varying degrees of crystallinity; a number of them can be dissolved in certain liquids, and they soften or melt upon heating. Cross-linked polymers, in which the molecular structure is a network, are thermosetting resins (i.e., they form under the influence of heat but, once formed, do not melt or soften upon reheating) that do not dissolve in solvents. Both linear and cross-linked polymers can be made by either addition or condensation polymerization.

The addition polymerization reactions described above are usually exothermic—that is, they generate heat. Heat generation is seldom a problem in small-scale laboratory reactions, but on a large industrial scale it can be dangerous, since heat causes an increase in the reaction rate, and faster reactions in turn produce yet more heat. This phenomenon, called autoacceleration, can cause polymerization reactions to accelerate at explosive rates unless efficient means for heat dissipation are included in the design of the reactor.

Condensation polymerization, on the other hand, is endothermic—that is, the reaction requires an input of heat from an external source. In these cases the reactor must supply heat in order to maintain a practical reaction rate.

So, what do you think this particular reaction would be? Due to using a catalyst, I suspect it'd be addition polymerization, which would most likely be exothermic. Do you agree, or do you think it wouldn't work like this? Seeing as how we didn't even define the monomers in detail, a bit of educated guesswork is the best I can do for now really.

...Would it be possible to use these two types of polymerization to 'cancel out' the extremes? Basically, choose/engineer the polymers so that the straight (end to end) crosslinks are addition polymerization (so no by product, exothermic), but the 'sideways' crosslinks between these long strands are condensation polymerization (with by product and endothermic).

addition:
oooooo  +  oooooo  =  oooooo-oooooo

condensation:
oooooo-oooooo  +  oooooo-oooooo  =  oooooo-oooooo   +  byproduct (e.g. H2O, which would help further dissipate excess heat by vaporizing)
                                                      \   /     /   / /
                                                     oooooo-oooooo

Also, ninja'd by Sean.     

EDIT: hmm, if the condensation doesn't require a catalyst, then it will probably start condensating while still in it's tank. Though that could be circumvented by saying there's a minimal temp needed before condensation polymerization occurs. So yeah, i think it comes down to how many/what kind of restrictions PW wants this to have.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:47:07 am by Radio Controlled »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:50 pm »

If it's endothermic, low temperatures will retard the reaction. If it's exothermic, high temperatures will do the same.

Not sure how much of an effect this would have. My chemistry courses didn't go into detail about that sort of specific detail.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »

If it's endothermic, low temperatures will retard the reaction. If it's exothermic, high temperatures will do the same.

Not sure how much of an effect this would have. My chemistry courses didn't go into detail about that sort of specific detail.

Yes, I know this. But as I said, since we're dealing with hypothetical substances here, it's kinda hard to work out exact details.

Besides, if temp stays at moderate levels, I don' think it should be too much of a problem, not if the catalyst is good enough to at least drive that reaction at reasonable speeds.

also, it seems the Us army has worked on/is working on something like this.

Also relevant.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:57:14 pm by Radio Controlled »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »

I was referring to using that to keep it from reacting in the can.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:10 am »

Hey piecewise, is vibranium a thing in ER? As in an instant shock dispersing meta-material.
Would it provide protection against monorazor filaments? And be prohibitively expensive to make shields out of?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2014, 10:25:06 am »

Hey piecewise, is vibranium a thing in ER? As in an instant shock dispersing meta-material.
Would it provide protection against monorazor filaments? And be prohibitively expensive to make shields out of?
((Probably not against monorazors, at least not the literal monomolecular-edge blades. The razor-wire vibroblades that are colloquially called "monorazors", however might be in fact useless against such a material. But I'm guessing it's about as abundant as Marvelverse vibranium, otherwise it'd be standard issue for gauss round deflection and indeed many kinds of melee armor.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:54 am »

Im assuming that it would be similar to that... mithril? Plating one of the older characters invented.

You know, that near indestructible plate armor so cost ineffective you could buy an fullt customised avatar of war for the same price as it would take to armor your chestplate?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2014, 10:50:01 am »

I was giving you the choice out of gameplay reasons, since it would probably be endothermic.

You could try to counteract it with another reaction, but thats gonna really slow down the reaction due to the temp difference retarding the reaction and the mixing making it harder for the chemicals to "Meet" each other in the fluid, if that makes sense.

Instant? Not possible. Very good at it? Possible but expensive. Standard ER protocol.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

Im assuming that it would be similar to that... mithril? Plating one of the older characters invented.
You know, that near indestructible plate armor so cost ineffective you could buy an fullt customised avatar of war for the same price as it would take to armor your chestplate?
Vibranium was so rare that all the stuff on earth was enough for about one vibranium-alloy shield. Mithril isn't more common, at least not until electrolysis is figured out. (Tolkien originally based mithril on aluminum, IIRC.)
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:42 am »

There's that energy absorbent stone I got from the Wastes of Time that could be used to make better armor once our scientists finish reverse engineering it.

I really wish I had done better in the Anomalous Planetoid mission. Feels like there's so much more I could had brought back.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:47 am »

Vibranium was so rare that all the stuff on earth was enough for about one vibranium-alloy shield. Mithril isn't more common, at least not until electrolysis is figured out. (Tolkien originally based mithril on aluminum, IIRC.)
Silly GWG, mithril isnt a rare but naturally occuring element prized by short bearded fellows in a fantasy novel. Its an extremely expensive and difficult to produce synthetic meta-material invented by an inmate aboard a prison ship in a science fiction forum game.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 127