Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 212030 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2014, 12:15:49 pm »

See if I can create shoulder mounted rail cannons that can be used in place of the back blades. And also see how one does against a standard UWM squad.
How powerful? Gauss cannon powerful?

Pictures... difficult...phone internets... horrible... drawing impossible...

Think of an oscillation grinder like the "renovator multi-tool" but with the cutting tip shaped like a vibranium edged gladius and the blade coming out of the center of the hilt instead of from below it.

As for the cutting blade, imagine an unshaded hand drawn leaf.
The exterior edging is the monofilament, the veins are the wafer thin almost superfluous support struts, the white spaces are air and the stem gets slitted into the oscillator to anchor the blade in place.

Get price check on flourescent death tube and vibranium osvillation gladius, test effectiveness against standard targets and materials.
Yeah, thats the basic gist of my flourescent laser sword, now it just needs to be telescopic and produce visible light.
The mono-thing probably wouldn't work.

As per the spinning thing, I've used tools like that before and they jerk about a fair bit, even when well balanced. I'm saying that you're gonna have to counterbalance the thing to prevent vibration. And it's also gonna be quite hard to use. Since, if you just thrust it forward willy nilly, it's just gonna hit the metal "arm" part and not the cutting surface. I suppose you could run mono-razors up the outside length of the arm. That would work.

It would also be heavy and scary as fuck. Just a giant whirring blade of death on a stick.

The glowing sword...Does it have to be a light tube? This would be so much easier if it was just a piece of metal heated with an electric current. Not that either will do much against things in a quick manner. Heat doesn't really "Chop" through stuff very well.

Thanks for the info. Wonder if Steve would let me connect to the Sword's power supply to test that. What's the worse that can happen? 6+2

How about this monoatomic Spinner Staff, Shredder Sword and Slicer Saucer? Would they work?
Assume I'm using the best quality monoatomic wire I can get and a reasonably strong material for the rest of the weapon, with something a bit stronger for the guards and covers. Assume the spinning parts are spinning as fast as possible without there being a danger of breaking.

How does each of those weapons perform against a sod and against a battlesuit? What are their problems? How do they perform in terms of cutting speed and fragility?

Spoiler: Shredder Sword (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinner Staff (click to show/hide)

Yes, I know it's going to be expensive. But man-usable-monoatomic-sword. Only problem I see is that it will need some Dex and Str to use, because unless I use very expensive materials it's going to be heavy and because of the spinning parts it's going to be resistant to twisting the sword because of angular momentum.
Shredder:
So a mono-atomic chain saw basically? First thing I'd have to say is "This is a lot of moving parts, potential breaking, malfunction and chance of hurling monoatomic Frisbees into your teammates for something that is gonna have about the same function as a monoblade. I mean, realistically, why is this gonna be more effective? It's not like a chainsaw which has teeth to cut with as it rotates.

Second one is fine, though, again, I'd say you could make something substantially less breakable and more versatile by taking what amounts to a big, metal 20 sided dice and putting a monorazor on each "edge" and then mounting the whole thing on a handle to make a Mono atomic Mace of sorts.

The last one is basically just gonna be what happens when the first one breaks. I'd say there's a bit of a problem with it because the rotation is either going to be slowed rather quick and the looseness of the wire will cause it to snap, or could deflect off because of the spin.

Well, even if my round doesn't affect the armor of a battlesuit very much, I'm pretty damn sure anything that almost instantly flattens one into the ground is still gonna injure the pilot/cause joints and systems to fail.

To answer the question on effectiveness though, I'd first need to know exactly what damage to the battlesuit(BESIDES knocking it down) it does. Assume direct hit to center of mass/cockpit for this. Then, extrapolate out from this calculation to the point where it doesn't do any damage besides maybe shifting the suit a little
If the round actually strikes the suit and isn't an airburst, it's gonna do a lot of damage. Enough to probably kill the pilot. Air burst that knocks it down, it's hard to say what will happen. Chances are there will be some damage, either to the pilot or some system, but it's not going to be consistent.

Probably about 30 feet, then.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:49 pm »

See if I can create shoulder mounted rail cannons that can be used in place of the back blades. And also see how one does against a standard UWM squad.
Yeah, gauss cannon powerful.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:44:43 pm by Tavik Toth »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #497 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »

((Monoatomic frisbee is the best kind of frisbee.

Also, only advantage they have is that they can stab. That means that you can cut through a door with some effort for example.

And monoatomic manhack? It's like every teammate's worse nightmare: A remote controlled death frisbee that uses AUX. Who wouldn't want that?))

Compare the Organochemistry Overrider Psychokinetic Amplifier and the Organo-tissue Dominator Psychokinetic Amplifier. Is their only difference that one is better at modifying flesh at the cost of loosing the mind control capability? Or is there something else, like one can only influence living flesh for example.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 28, 2014, 12:41:15 pm »

((Hey, Tavik, maybe try not to quote the whole post if you only need a single sentence. Kinda unwieldy.

The glowing sword...Does it have to be a light tube? This would be so much easier if it was just a piece of metal heated with an electric current.

((Hey, I said that as well, but the man really wants his weapons to glow  :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:05:30 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 28, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »

Heat doesn't really "Chop" through stuff very well.
My $0.02 on the matter:
Heat really isn't going to be good for "chopping" things cleanly. It tends to spread too much. It's easy enough to control at lower levels, since the air can dissipate some, but higher temperatures heat up the air too fast. Thus, if you have enough heat to cut something quickly, you have too much heat to "cut" anything with--you tend to destroy things. Also, it's not a great precision weapon in general. If you heat up something quickly, you're probably going to be heating the up a lot, so either you're taking a while to do damage or you're risking overkill for more than brief exposure.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »

As per the spinning thing, I've used tools like that before and they jerk about a fair bit, even when well balanced. I'm saying that you're gonna have to counterbalance the thing to prevent vibration. And it's also gonna be quite hard to use. Since, if you just thrust it forward willy nilly, it's just gonna hit the metal "arm" part and not the cutting surface. I suppose you could run mono-razors up the outside length of the arm. That would work.

It would also be heavy and scary as fuck. Just a giant whirring blade of death on a stick.

The glowing sword...Does it have to be a light tube? This would be so much easier if it was just a piece of metal heated with an electric current. Not that either will do much against things in a quick manner. Heat doesn't really "Chop" through stuff very well.
The cutting surface is on the outside length of the limbs.
The exterior edging is the monofilament, the veins are the wafer thin almost superfluous support struts, the white spaces are air and the stem gets slitted into the oscillator to anchor the blade in place.

Scary whirring death blade is exactly what im aiming for.

Light tube doesnt need visible light, it was a lightsaber joke.
In any case im sure a 3500°C tube will melt through stuff just fine.
But yes needs to be a light tube, im trying to make a laser sword, not a soldering iron.

Price check and standard testing regimen against mk2, steel plate, synthflrsh and battlesuit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:53:38 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2014, 05:21:29 pm »

Melt =/= Cut. Like I said, it's gonna get messy. And you're going to need to deal with heat exhaustion, if nothing else.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2014, 05:43:56 pm »

Glowy sword was never a cutting weapon. Its a light tube genius, those things are round as shit.

As per heat exhaustion, thats why im heating it internally with a photon condenser instead of using the laser directly, the surface temperature and to a lesser extent the radiated waste heat is whats used to melt through targets so its actually going to be hotter on the inside.

Overkill is the best kind of kill, this thing is running 500° hotter than battleplates melting point.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »

If you're hoping it'll make a nice clean line of destruction, that's a "cut" and it's subject to the issues which make cutting with heat a task for space magic and maybe thermite.

The problem is that, if it's heating the target up, it's heating everything else in contact with it as well. Including the air.
Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2014, 10:51:45 pm »

So, in summary a direct hit would have a pretty good chance of mulching the pilot(or at least incapacitating him), and an air-burst would likely do SOMETHING beside knocking one down(even if it isn't consistent with what it breaks)? I'm fine with that actually, since it is a round that can disable battlesuits(which IIRC, can actually survive a nuke-tipped gauss cannon round pretty well), and anything else within 30 ft is likely to turn into red mist. And even if I'm forced to airburst the shell, repeated hammerings by Mjolnir rounds should break something important enough for continued function(plus, I can always keep shouting Fus Ro Dah every time I air-burst it :P). Though, I do want to get back to it and see how many kinamps I can stuff into it before hitting the point of diminishing returns :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:41 am »

Check schematics of standard robobody. Would it be possible to use that hunterbot CPU I still have from mission 7 as a 'brain' for it? Check with Stevebot schematics to learn what other hardware and software is needed to make those things run.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2014, 11:07:51 am »

Yeah, gauss cannon powerful.
Well if you fire it straight into them you're gonna fuck'em up.  Gonna fuck em up good.

((Monoatomic frisbee is the best kind of frisbee.

Also, only advantage they have is that they can stab. That means that you can cut through a door with some effort for example.

And monoatomic manhack? It's like every teammate's worse nightmare: A remote controlled death frisbee that uses AUX. Who wouldn't want that?))

Compare the Organochemistry Overrider Psychokinetic Amplifier and the Organo-tissue Dominator Psychokinetic Amplifier. Is their only difference that one is better at modifying flesh at the cost of loosing the mind control capability? Or is there something else, like one can only influence living flesh for example.
The lower one has a lesser capacity to effect things. Basically, you can fuck with brain chemistry or nerve impulses or similar things, but if you wanted to, say, cause them to grow another finger you'd have to sit there and bugger about in their genes and then wait 2 months for them to actually grow it.

The other one it's like "Hey, I want to make a new finger! Roll, Screaming, Done!" Flesh-o-mancy, basically.

((Hey, Tavik, maybe try not to quote the whole post if you only need a single sentence. Kinda unwieldy.

The glowing sword...Does it have to be a light tube? This would be so much easier if it was just a piece of metal heated with an electric current.

((Hey, I said that as well, but the man really wants his weapons to glow  :P
It will glow. It will glow orange or red.

The cutting surface is on the outside length of the limbs.

Scary whirring death blade is exactly what im aiming for.

Light tube doesnt need visible light, it was a lightsaber joke.
In any case im sure a 3500°C tube will melt through stuff just fine.
But yes needs to be a light tube, im trying to make a laser sword, not a soldering iron.

Price check and standard testing regimen against mk2, steel plate, synthflrsh and battlesuit.
No, adding cutting surfaces to the metal arms holding the filament on the spinning death blade. Cause right now it is only gonna cut if used JUST right, otherwise it's gonna just smack them with the rotating arm and probably break or rip the weapon out of your hands.

I'm pretty sure that, even at 3500 it's not gonna be 'Cutting" so much as "Pressing it up against stuff and having it melt through." I mean hell, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYXv7V8Umw

In other words, it would probably be not very effective against a lot of stuff. But it could work.

Check schematics of standard robobody. Would it be possible to use that hunterbot CPU I still have from mission 7 as a 'brain' for it? Check with Stevebot schematics to learn what other hardware and software is needed to make those things run.

Yes, you could do that.

As in just their brains or the whole thing?

Because steve bots are more like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So hardware differences are pretty fucking extensive.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2014, 11:45:15 am »

See how many of the mechs I would need to take down a battlesuit.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »

I cannot watch videos ever due to miniscule data limit.

I can tell im gonna have to try drawing it, my sword blade doesnt spin or have a rotating arm, are you confusing me with paris?
My weapon is an oscillation tool.
The blade moves in, out and side to side but doesnt rotate, spin or move up and down.
Vibranium filament makes up almost the entire outside edge of the blade section.
Lock pins are there to keep the blade from turning and impacting against the inside of the hilt.

Bump the death tube temp up to 5000°C to shut GWG up.

Start new project.
Spawn kinetic amplifier and gauss rifle.
Cannibalize gauss rifle to build an arm mounted self resetting gauss piston.
Place a springloaded plate on end of barrel with trigger behind it so when you punch stuff it fires the gauss round into the back of the plate.
Incorporate kinetic amp into the trigger plate so that when gauss piston fires it strikes the amp a few millimeters before its stopping point and activates the amp firing god knows how much kinetic energy into the target.
Save as gauss piledriver.

can i get price check and testing on all 3 projects please?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:28:56 am by Unholy_Pariah »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

I cannot watch videos ever due to miniscule data limit.
It's a red-hot sphere of nickel slowly melting through a stack of CDs. It has to be reheated partway through.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 127