Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 212114 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #855 on: November 02, 2014, 05:48:11 pm »

Basic concept check: a Gauss Rifle that shoots smaller slugs at a faster rate-of-fire than a normal Gauss Rifle. Are there any major technical hurdles?
((Capacitors. From how I recall ER-tek Gauss Rifles (and real life ones, too) work, you have a small generator feeding a capacitor bank constantly, which discharges all at once when you fire, then starts recharging (usually fast enough to fire again in just a few moments). For example, the Sibilus, which is essentially a Gauss Rifle firing smaller rocket-propelled slugs with the capacity for burst-fire, has, I believe, three capacitor arrays.))
Sure, I imagine something along those lines will be the answer, but just want to check the foundation before I start building the house, as it were. If it ends up being more complicated than I thought it'd be I'll just leave the idea alone.

That was probably more information than anyone wanted, but there you go.  Anyways, I'd suggest you not even look into low caliber gauss weapons, except maybe for use as SMGs.  Lasers are basically entirely superior.))
Piss on lasers, I need dakka.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 02, 2014, 07:24:41 pm »

((As I recall, the Sibilus has so many capacitors because it fires the rockets at a similar force to gauss rifles, despite their smaller size.  There's no problem with smaller rounds, although there's probably some small issues with inefficiency- larger rounds are cheaper by weight, and making more complex mechanisms for a higher fire rate would cost more too.))

((While that's true for the Overcharge (2 capacitor banks) and Double Overcharge (all 3 capacitor banks), if it were true for normal shots, it would be incapable of burst-fire.

Take it from the guy who designed it, yeah?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:40 pm »

((Oh, I hadn't meant that it uses all three on each shot.  I had meant that if you had been going for less raw force, you could probably have had three round burst with only one capacitor.  Although, I didn't realize that the overcharge modes were both just using extra capacitors on one shot- I thought you had a mode that used the original gauss rifle overcharge ability.

Huh.  If triple standard power cracks battlesuit plate in two shots, I wonder what triple overcharge does?  It probably tears the gun apart, but still.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 03, 2014, 04:55:32 am »

((Well, I tried using 4x smaller caliber bullets (2x smaller radius, same length) for my early attempt at a gauss autogun, and the basic problem here (as described by Piecewise) was this: sure, very doable and much more ammo, but at this point gunpowder weapons (utterly outclassed and sometimes unable to penetrate even Mk I, and I'm not talking about the helmet) are comparable in power and can do it just as fine.
So, for real dakka, your best bet would either be a good ol' gunpowder-based machine gun, a rocket rifle (remember, it is mostly used on full auto, unlike its child Sibilus) or a rotary gauss machinegun (yep, standard gauss caliber; Feyri got one for last Xmas and Lukas has it or something very similar as part of his armaments). ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 03, 2014, 06:44:32 am »

Has anyone but me considered trying to scale down Lukas' particle accumulator sniper rifle?
You know, change it from "what size chunks do you want to blow your teammates into?" to "which quarter of their body do you wanna leave partially intact?"

Id try, but i have not had the opportunity or resources to do so yet.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #860 on: November 03, 2014, 07:02:34 am »

Maybe you'd want to check if you could make a mini LESHO first. Might be cheaper AND it allows you to use alternate ammo, so depending on what you want to kill, you can load the appropriate ammo. Wanna kill a soldier? Load normal rounds. Wanna take out a platoon? Load nuclear rounds. Wanna take out an avatar or another heavily armoured target without irradiating the entire area? Load grav-shells. Wanna destroy a wall? Load high explosive shells.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:04:30 am by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 03, 2014, 07:10:53 am »

Or i could make a variable yield PAC and never pay for ammo again ever.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 03, 2014, 08:14:54 am »

Has anyone but me considered trying to scale down Lukas' particle accumulator sniper rifle?
You know, change it from "what size chunks do you want to blow your teammates into?" to "which quarter of their body do you wanna leave partially intact?"

Id try, but i have not had the opportunity or resources to do so yet.

Yeah, a lack of time with those interested is probably a big factor here. And I've already got such a big backlog of projects :/

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #863 on: November 03, 2014, 09:19:24 am »

Or i could make a variable yield PAC and never pay for ammo again ever.
If that is what you want. Just remember that running out of ammo almost never happens. And that the Particle Accelerator Cannon (PAC) is different from the Particle Condenser Rifle (PCR). And that they take some time to recharge, so you'd be using them pike the HEP.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #864 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:44 pm »

forget what I was doing and exit VR.
You forget what you were doing and wander off.

Basic concept check: a Gauss Rifle that shoots smaller slugs at a faster rate-of-fire than a normal Gauss Rifle. Are there any major technical hurdles?
The other guys below you in the tread basically covered this.

I like this. We've been going long enough that we have some seasoned tinkerers who literally answer questions for me. Keep up the good work!

I might have to create some sort of special position for you guys. Official Tech consultants or something. Guys whose answers I trust enough that they can, at least provisionally, be taken as truth.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 03, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

Maybe you'd want to check if you could make a mini LESHO first. Might be cheaper AND it allows you to use alternate ammo, so depending on what you want to kill, you can load the appropriate ammo. Wanna kill a soldier? Load normal rounds. Wanna take out a platoon? Load nuclear rounds. Wanna take out an avatar or another heavily armoured target without irradiating the entire area? Load grav-shells. Wanna destroy a wall? Load high explosive shells.
My tinker was basically the poor man's LESHO.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #866 on: November 03, 2014, 07:49:58 pm »

I was talking about an actual mini LESHO. LESHO is a mix of Cruise Missile and Gauss Cannon. A mini LESHO would be a weaker, smaller and less sophisticated version of the above but it would still offer accuracy just a bit worse than a LESHO. Don't know how useful it would be though. You'd need a mission with wide open areas and a person willing to stand around in a vantage point a few Kilometres away, ready to shoot the targets his teammates or their scout eyes spot.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 05, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »

to Doc

Do you know where the data for making the brains for the original Arbiters is? Could we access it, steal it perhaps?

Oh, and I think I might know who's brain they used previously, and I'm pretty sure you do as well. You reckon this person could be used again as a template, should the previous not be possible?

((If needed, you can pm me his answer. Your call.))

((Postponed due to action on mission.))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:46:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 11, 2014, 02:16:24 am »

How effective, and how expensive token-wise, are your standard-issue military hand grenades?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »

5.How many traditional fragmentation grenades with an effective kill radius of fifteen meters could you get for one token, assuming we made them standard?  For comparison, one token currently gets five smoke bombs, or six paralysis gas canisters.
Depends on their design, but you could probably get 3 or so.

((I was tempted to just not post this, because PW might give a better deal...  But that would be wrong.))
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 127