Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 211428 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1290 on: August 02, 2015, 06:25:54 am »

Do you really need the limb vat? Wouldn't it be cheaper (if a bit slower) to cut sharkmist limbs in half and then "feed" them to regenerate?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1291 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:46 am »

Your gunship sounds acceptable too. Though, it may have limited use depending on the situation. But still, sounds acceptable. You might want to add on a box of tungsten rods for carpet bombing.

Yeah, it'd be very limited in the amount of actual missions it can be used on, but would offer cheap and indirect firepower in return (Heabi mission would've been good :v ). Also, you sure about the rods? My idea was to use the missiles and arm them with nukes (using Simus' 'clean nuke' if needed) because I thought that'd be more cost-effective and less bulky (and a couple megaton nukes can bomb a pretty big carpet). I mean, one'd need to accelerate the rods to immense speeds to use them for carpet bombing, no? Needing enormous accelerators and/or spess mahics? Or am I missing something here?

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should we precisely define what amount of vouchers gets you what, or would you prefer to keep it more vague?

new idea: electronade

This is basically a non-'refillable' electricity grenade. Take the tesla arc electricity-throwing mechanism. Make it shorter and less focused so it throws electricity all around it, in an area of a few meters or so. Make it have a blueshard battery. Bigger than a regular nade, more like a grapefruit I think (Though i don't know for sure). Components are cheap and burn out through usage, should last about as long as the battery. Give it three round dials: one for % power used, one for time delay and one for how long it works. Has small battery life indicator.
different intensities:
0,5%: taser power, stuns unarmored people but doesn’t kill or harm them
2% kills unarmored people
5% kills lightly-to-medium armored people
10% full power, kills anything not very well insulated against electricity
Time dial indicates how long it works before shutting off. So at 0,5% power for ten seconds will make it work at stun intensity for 10 seconds and uses up 5% of the batteries' power. After that, it can be reused (until the battery dies out). Time delay says how long it waits to start working to prevent people zapping themselves (standard is 3 sec). Does this thing make sense? How many could we get for a token? Is 2 for a token reasonable?

I thought the ship was low orbit, never mind.

Eh...yeah, we should. But lets do that as soon as someone actually shows interest in using it. Till then...lazy.

Electronade sounds fine, but I think we might need to up the % costs. Probably double them. 1,4,10, 20%. Even like that it's a 5 time use grenade at full power or a basically infinite use tossable taser.

Some questions about the limits of the black halo. No need to answer all of the below if you don't have time.
1. How much can it change your appearance? Can it make you look like an alien that has eight legs?
2. Can it change your appearance to someone whose existence you know, but whose exact appearance you don't know? For example, can you think "make me look like those trooper's commanding officer" even though you've never seen said commanding officer?
3. Does it also affect other senses? Would it, for example, affect how your voice sounds or how you smell or how your clothes feel?
4. How much does it confuse senses? If I disguise myself into someone that has only one arm and someone tries to touch my arm stump, will they think they are touching my arm stump or will the illusion break?
5. Can you give me a rough estimate of the distance it can affect other people's minds? Will it affect a security guard watching a video feed of me while he's standing behind the armoured door I'm trying to get him to open, for example? How about a sod trying to snipe me?
6. Can it only affect people viewing me in real-time or can I affect a recording of me wearing the halo if I'm nearby?
7. Can I project different illusions to different people?
8. Can it make you look like an inanimate object? Like a water cooler?
9. How large or small can it make you look like? Rough estimate, no need for exact numbers.
10. Can it alter how you perceive yourself or at least let you know what others are seeing?
11. Can it be used to alter what equipment others think you have, so that you can use it to make someone think you're holding a valid ID or a police badge?

Asking to see if it's worth giving my Exo backup character some charisma. Such thoughts always come to mind when Flint lands in the next deathtrap.
1. You can alter your appearance to be basically anything, though the farther you get from human, and the more detailed you are, the more difficult it is.
2. Ah, interesting question. No. It effects the target's perception, but it doesn't rely on their comprehension. In other words, you don't present their mind with some sort of incomprehensible image which they then unconsciously fill in as what you want them to. You have to mentally create the image, and they see it.
3.If you extend it to those senses, then yes. But that takes extra effort.
4. They'll see you point a stump at them and then feel something touch them. The illusion never breaks, so to speak, they'll keep seeing you as that as long as you keep the illusion going, but they'd probably wonder whats going on.
5. Anyone who can see you could theoretically be effected. But that example of yours wouldn't work because, like I said, it doesn't work on cameras. Someone watching you through a camera would just see you.
6. See previous.
7.Yes, but that will be harder.
8. Yes.
9. Well, as small as you want basically, and theoretically as large as you want, but the larger you get, the more area you need to image in detail, so the larger you get the harder it is to do.
10. Well, you'd know how you look because you'd be the one creating the image.
11. Yes.

here is my new plan, it is for a rifle that melts down any ferrous metal and then shoots it at variable ranges. Call up the schematic for a Gauss rifle. Remove any loading mechanism and repair any hole once this is done. Add a small dial on the side that controls the strength of the magnets in the barrel, and a switch that flips the polarity. Separate the stock of the rifle form the body and add a solid block of metal the width and height width of the body of the gun where you separated the stock form the gun. the block is about 5 inches long. Weld any attachment points need to attach the stock to the end of the new block of metal.

Carve a hopper with a hatch on top, that is not quite as deep as the barrel and is slightly smaller then the mold below into the block of metal between the stock and the main body of the gun.

Carve out a space behind the hopper on the same level for a laser. Bore a hole between the hopper and the laser head so that the laser can melt the metal inside the hopper.

under neath the hopper there is a mold for a standard gauss rifle round. the mold is connected to the hopper by a small tunnel with a valve that when turned on allows molten metal to flow from the hopper into the mold. the mold is on the same level as the barrel carve out the metal separating the barrel and the front of the mold and replace it with a door that moves up and down. At the back of the mold there is a piston that push the round out of the mold and into the barrel.

Here is the order of the mechanical actions that happen. The hatch on top of the hopper opened. Scrap metal is loaded into the hopper. when the hatch is closed the valve separating the hopper from the mold is turned off. And the laser heats the metal until it is molten. The valve then turns to the on position dumping the molten metal into the mold. The valve is turned to the off position. The round in the mold is allowed to cool. Once the round is cool if there is no round in the barrel the door in front of the mold opens and the piston at the back of the mold pushes the round. If there is a round in the barrel the hatch on top of the hopper gets locked so that you can not put any more metal in.

When you pull the trigger it fires the round. And if there is a cooled round in the mold. It will open the door between the mold and the barrel, and then the piston at the back of the mold pushes the round into the barrel and unlocks the hatch on top of the hopper.

Fill the hopper with ferrous scrap metal, wait for it to make the round and then test fire the weapon at 100 percent power.

Then try to front load the gun using a premade Gauss rifle slug. by switching the polarity of the coils. placing the slug at the front of the barrel and firing the weapon at 2 percent power. Then put the polarity back to normal and fire the weapon at 100 percent power.

EDIT: oops I missed the clause for pulling the trigger.
EDIT 2: I forgot to say to fire the weapon.
EDIT 3: clarified, and added the ability to front load the gun

I tired to be as specific as I could be and make it very clear how everything works. Did I make any glaring errors that would prevent this from working? Does any one have a suggestion for how to improve it?
A big wall of text as your first post in tinker? You'll fit in here just fine.

For the future, you don't have to go super in depth if you don't want to. See the post from radiocontrolled up on top of this one? See How he describes the Electronade? Thats fine too.

Now then...Well first, I'd say you should look into induction heating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBztmCuwgk

You can melt magnetic metals using nothing but copper coils and electricity. Which is probably gonna be a lot safer and easier then using a laser.

The issues I can see coming from this are as follows:

1. Getting the shell to take on a perfect, uniform shape will probably be difficult. This will mean that these rounds will probably be less accurate. Not to mention you might get non-magnetic metals mixed in as alloys which would also cause uneven magnetic effects on the bullet.
2. If you use multiple kinds of metals to make the bullet then you can get lots of problems. The mixing of the metals might not be perfect so you could get unevenly weighted shots, which wouldn't fly straight, or you might have the coils work unevenly on the shot as it accelerates down the barrel. Which could also cause problems.
3. There's gonna be a limit on the size of the pieces of things you can stick into the hopper, which is gonna limit the amount of material you can melt, which will limit the speed of production of shells.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 11, 2015, 04:55:59 am »

Well, it could operate in low orbit, or even a high orbit, no reason it couldn't (it has the engines and such for it). The reason it operates lower normally is to increase accuracy and reduce target acquisition time. Something outside the atmosphere 500 km away would have more trouble aiming (or need significantly more time) at a target than something inside the atmosphere 50 km away. And again, the main goal is precision fire support, not indiscriminate bombardment. But, if it does need to do that, a couple megaton nukes on missiles should do the job very well, while not needing a lot of space or being overly expensive. Unlike, as far as I know, the gauss accelerators and space magic needed to speed up a kinetic projectile to the needed velocities.

That makes sense, right? Or am I mistaken somewhere?

Because, as sad as it is to acknowledge it, just dropping big rods of tungsten isn't all that impressive. Sure, it still gives a big boom, but not nearly as big as a decent nuke. If you really want to use this kinda tech for major devastation, then you need to accelerate them a lot. Not just shoot them, but really get into significant fractions of c. Otherwise, nukes are probably more cost-effective. And if I'm not mistaken, getting this kind of speeds for a big mass costs a whole lot and isn't small.

Eh...yeah, we should. But lets do that as soon as someone actually shows interest in using it. Till then...lazy.
Isn't this exactly the kind of thing the council could do? After all, it's pure balancing, so you wouldn't even need to do a lot, just give us the green light.

Electronade sounds fine, but I think we might need to up the % costs. Probably double them. 1,4,10, 20%. Even like that it's a 5 time use grenade at full power or a basically infinite use tossable taser.
Sure, that sounds fair. Anything else, or can this then go on to Hep approval and armory inclusion?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 11, 2015, 07:44:42 am »

I had an idea, though I am not sure if there would really be of any signifigant benefit other than a very slight increase in strength and or agility.

The basic idea is to take a MCP-I (or higher) suit and line the arms and legs with a thin layer of synthflesh. There would be a cortical jack installed on the user's head, so they could coordinate the movements of the synthflesh with their own body.

The thickness of the synthflesh could be variable, having a thicker layer of it be more expensive. Of course it would only be so effective, at some point a synthflesh body is a better choice.

Cost?: 4-5 tokens for 1/3 inch of synthflesh?

Questions: Is this feasible? Would it cost more than I am thinking, and would it function the way that I described it? Would the benefits even be worth the extra cost, and would there really be any noticeable improvement in strength and agility?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 11, 2015, 07:54:45 am »

As the representative of Heph Administration responsible for design approval, I should also ask: Can the electro'nade be made three for a token, like all standard grenades? For the sake of Brisant compatibility and standardisation.

(That is, of course, if you were fine with the lower end of the cost RC suggested. If the higher - no less than a token per electro'nade - I humbly withdraw this request.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:47 am »

As the representative of Heph Administration responsible for design approval, I should also ask: Can the electro'nade be made three for a token, like all standard grenades? For the sake of Brisant compatibility and standardisation.

(That is, of course, if you were fine with the lower end of the cost RC suggested. If the higher - no less than a token per electro'nade - I humbly withdraw this request.)
I doubt a 5-use lethal or 100-use taser grenade is going to be less than a token each.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:12 am »

Why not scale it down then? To 2-use lethal, 40-use taser? Or even 1-use lethal, 20-use taser (maybe in packs of 4 or 5)? How many times do you toss a grenade normally and expect to reuse it, anyway?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1297 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:36 am »

With the addition of some motors, you could create some sort of remote controlled grenade ball, similar to that camera the AM designed. Then you could set it to patrol and repeatedly stun certain locations.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:54 am »

Here's what Leo writes down for the portable sensor package:

Smoke isn't much of a problem.  Have a number of infared LEDs into a few small lamps, and use an infared camera to build up an image.  Have them be deployable, so you can take the little lamps and cameras out of the box and put them where you want coverage.

To further coverage, use a blacklight emitter.  This will probably have to be flourescent, as it's cheaper to make blacklights like that.  Include a UV camera as well.

That should take care of smoke and darkness.  I'm afraid there's no real way to see in darkness without a lamp of some kind, depending on it's range.

Radar is a bit more tricky, as with the longer-wavelength light, you need larger pickups to handle them.  Most of the box would have to be the emitter for the radar system, with a pair of long, telescopic rods and amplifiers to act as the pickups.  These would be networked together to provide directional coverage.  It would be directional, but it should be more than sufficient.  Accuracy would be limited somewhat by putting them on people, instead of a fixed stand, but it would be better than nothing..  and a collapsable stand should be included, so you can set it up properly.  It would also help if you are using it to penetrate walls.

So, in short, make a box around a radar emitter and a collapsable stand for the recievers.  Let the recievers be a pair of telescopic rods with amplifiers.  It could be attached to a frame or carried by a person, but with limited accuracy due to the somewhat irregular movement of a person.  It should be, at reasonable power levels, capable of detecting objects on the other side of narrow walls.

This box should include two IR lamps, as well as at least one IR camera.  It should also include two UV lamps, and a UV camera.

Pickups from the cameras can be handled as normal, but the radar needs a fair amount of processing power behind it to make useful returns, so it'll need a small computer and something to display it's readout on.  The radar will also be directional.

Audio isn't really useful.  Bullets and lasers travel faster than sound, after all, and pointing a directional microphone requires you to know what direction it's coming from so you can point it in the right way.  Things would be different underwater, but making a sonar box similar to the radar box isn't too hard, if that should become necessary.

As for power consumption, the whole thing should be able to run for about an hour on two or three of the laser rifle batteries.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1299 on: August 15, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

Well, it could operate in low orbit, or even a high orbit, no reason it couldn't (it has the engines and such for it). The reason it operates lower normally is to increase accuracy and reduce target acquisition time. Something outside the atmosphere 500 km away would have more trouble aiming (or need significantly more time) at a target than something inside the atmosphere 50 km away. And again, the main goal is precision fire support, not indiscriminate bombardment. But, if it does need to do that, a couple megaton nukes on missiles should do the job very well, while not needing a lot of space or being overly expensive. Unlike, as far as I know, the gauss accelerators and space magic needed to speed up a kinetic projectile to the needed velocities.

That makes sense, right? Or am I mistaken somewhere?

Because, as sad as it is to acknowledge it, just dropping big rods of tungsten isn't all that impressive. Sure, it still gives a big boom, but not nearly as big as a decent nuke. If you really want to use this kinda tech for major devastation, then you need to accelerate them a lot. Not just shoot them, but really get into significant fractions of c. Otherwise, nukes are probably more cost-effective. And if I'm not mistaken, getting this kind of speeds for a big mass costs a whole lot and isn't small.

Isn't this exactly the kind of thing the council could do? After all, it's pure balancing, so you wouldn't even need to do a lot, just give us the green light.

Sure, that sounds fair. Anything else, or can this then go on to Hep approval and armory inclusion?

Yeah, that makes sense.

If you guys wanna work on it, thats fine. You don't need my green light to work on things, just to implement them. Coming up with ideas for how something should work or be balanced is fine so long as you realize I might say no at the end.

I think it's fairly straight forward; you can move it on in the process.

I had an idea, though I am not sure if there would really be of any signifigant benefit other than a very slight increase in strength and or agility.

The basic idea is to take a MCP-I (or higher) suit and line the arms and legs with a thin layer of synthflesh. There would be a cortical jack installed on the user's head, so they could coordinate the movements of the synthflesh with their own body.

The thickness of the synthflesh could be variable, having a thicker layer of it be more expensive. Of course it would only be so effective, at some point a synthflesh body is a better choice.

Cost?: 4-5 tokens for 1/3 inch of synthflesh?

Questions: Is this feasible? Would it cost more than I am thinking, and would it function the way that I described it? Would the benefits even be worth the extra cost, and would there really be any noticeable improvement in strength and agility?

It's feasible but It seems pretty complex and expensive for something that you could probably just do with higher powered actuators for less money.

As currently designed? No. But something like it? Maybe.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:45 am »

If you wanted to get the Electro'nade down to 3 for a token, assuming it's lethal setting is the same power as a relative tesla coil, you would need to take down the power to... 1/60 of a tesla arc, if 100% is tesla arc power now, then it gets down to 1/12 of the original maximum power.
This is assuming linear power to price but you know what I mean.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 16, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »

It's feasible but It seems pretty complex and expensive for something that you could probably just do with higher powered actuators for less money.

Hmm, since I assume my current character is dead, and my next would be a melee character, I am basically trying to create a suit that allows incredible agiliy. Somewhat inspired by the Arbiter of Peace. One problem with having a very high speed exoskeleton, would be that it would move faster than the standard human can react. Even though this is more of a question for the on ship thread, is there any way we could get an implant that would basically replace the users nervous system with tons of fiber optic wires, and a coprocessor in the brain in order to improve speed and dexterity? Maybe 8-10 tokens?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 16, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »

Well we already had the nuerophotonic spinal column for 14 tokens, but i think iit lost its function in the transition to the new system...

Perhaps we could get a new function for it?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »

Well we already had the nuerophotonic spinal column for 14 tokens, but i think iit lost its function in the transition to the new system...

Perhaps we could get a new function for it?
All I can see it doing is increase reflexes and perhaps resistance against broken spines.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1304 on: August 16, 2015, 04:14:30 pm »

Based on the guy the AM spaced during the first mission, I assume the X-ray mode of camEyes can be used to strip-search people and vehicles for concealed objects, like those scanner things they use in some airports and customs stations?

EDIT: And a clarification to the Black Halo. Could I use it to deprive people of senses, instead of altering them? Could I, for example, make them NOT feel my hand as I pickpocket them?

And would they have to be looking at me for this to happen or just be ABLE TO see me, while not necessarily seeing me? I mean, it won't break if they blink or close their eyes or turn their head away from me, right?

And how far does the camera thing go? Is it the moment the "illusion image" "passes through" something electronic it turns normal or something a bit more vague, like "as long as the image reaches their optic nerves directly, it can affect robotic eye replacements"? For example, would the illusion affect someone in a robobody/synthfleshbody? Someone in a battlesuit? Someone with their faceplate down? Someone using camEyes? Someone using camEyes to look at you through a wall?

Could Miyamoto wear one and make his Avatar look tiny?
(The most stealthy Avatar! Unless you're using cameras.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:30:04 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 127