Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BrikwaRtD: Illustrated with Lego Digital Designer!  (Read 1346 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BrikwaRtD: Illustrated with Lego Digital Designer!
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:19 pm »

Well, all my musings on the potential for a legolike RtD a few months ago have come to this; using rules from Brikwars and Decembre in Paradisium, I think it should be possible to play a game, unaffiliated with LEGO or anyone else, that happens to be quite fun. Although a better title may be Roll to Dismember...

If this looks intriguing, start reading these, and get back in a few days when you finish:
  http://brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-brikwars.pdf
  http://brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-superpowers.pdf
  http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2000/bw-s-rv.doc
  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129434.msg4460592#msg4460592

Further discussion will resume once four people have read all of the Source Material. I will, however answer questions relating to this post and the links contained therein.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: BrikwaRtD: Illustrated with Lego Digital Designer!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:43 am »

The first link's suggestion of hitting people with hammers and other physical abuse for minor offenses bugged me, as did the almost zealous anarchy. Overall, it did its joking in far too serious of a tone more often than not.

I haven't read all the pages of all the things, but I have read enough of each to get the gist (and will continue reading the rest).
I'm interested to see how this will work...especially since the core gameplay mechanic is "building stuff".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:15:50 am »

For the record, the Hammer of Discipline is intended to be a rubber mallet with handle between 1' and 1'6", not to be used violently, but as a significant reminder to stop following the rules again. It was a bit heavy-handed in that section though.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:17:52 am »

OOh, interesting. Gonna read the rules later today and see if I'l join.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:22:33 am »

For the record, the Hammer of Discipline is intended to be a rubber mallet with handle between 1' and 1'6", not to be used violently, but as a significant reminder to stop following the rules again.
Hence why it repeatedly made reference to hitting people with it.
And rubber mallets can really hurt, depending on the mallet and the swing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:56:24 am »

ptw

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:33 am »

Fine. I promise not to track people down and hit them with hammers, rubber or otherwise. It's an optional rule anyways.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 04:43:09 pm »

Alright, I've finished reading the main rulebook, which means I'm all caught up.

How is this going to work?
Sig

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »

ptw. Reading now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:44:35 pm »

I'll be working on the rules over the weekend, but for now, just get Lego Digital Designer here.
If you make a robot suitable for play, please give it the necessary degrees of freedom  to move and scale it with this being, from left to right, a minifig (for scale), the miniature (what I'll generally be using to represent a character), and the expanded version, which will show damage, the actual modifications and equipment, and any weapons systems (in this case none, none, and none).
  The first set of rules, and likely the next few as well, will be subject to review by anybody who sees a potential flaw or exploit.

I'm tired, so have a centaurified version of the first one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1536g8x664ax8gm/Centaur.lxf