Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Into Empty Skies - [1][6][Hilarity ensues]  (Read 20724 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation [GM needs charsheets badly]
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:42 pm »

Charsheet done, GM take the wheel!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation [GM needs charsheets badly]
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 04:58:22 am »

Okay, so:
Players: Malachi Kelly (werty892), Delia Wyrson (DarkArtemisFowl), Lt. Wilkinson (WhitiusOpus), Charleston Spade (Comrade P.), Theodore DaCabian (darkpaladin109), Robert Schwartz (10ebbor10)
Waitlist: The Froggy Ninja, Patrick Hunt, mastahcheese, Aseaheru

As I previously said, arbitrary bullshit criteria. If I waitlisted you, do not despair: if this game turns out good, I'll add you in quick, and if it doesn't, well, you probably won't want to participate in it anyway, yes?

INTRO

Five days have passed since you boarded the DES Peregrine, the ship assigned to the 1st Experimental. The ship is a sleek, high-speed model, fairly recently developed. It houses the first three planes that you will have to test out comfortably, one disassembled, two covered with tarp on the deck.
The sailors are dour and usually silent in their dark blue coats, exchanging brisk words only with each other. Their captain is a strange fellow: on one hand, the large scar that bisects his fairly young face and the steely glint of his eyes speak of experience; on the other, he wears his dress saber, which is considered worse than bloody useless in this age.
The reason for the general grimness is apparent: you have not been told of your destination, but it is obvious that the Triumvirate wishes to take Hashein Island after all - it is the most important Rahu foothold this close to Dren's coast, and it is obvious they will not surrender it and their recent victory easily.
The day comes. The six of you are summoned up onto the deck. Lined up as you are, you can see the sailors lowering your planes overboard on winches.
The captain hands Robert a folder. "Do acquaint yourself with this." The team gathers around Robert, who ensures that everybody has time to read the contents.

Spoiler: DN-3 flying boat (click to show/hide)

The captain waits until you are done reading, then coughs. "This is what you will be flying. It is slightly slower than the Rahu Kites, but the service ceiling is higher, and more importantly, we have pintle-mounted light machine guns on two of them, and the angle is much better. The third aeroplane will carry explosive charges, which, I'm afraid, somebody will have to throw by hand." He looks aside for a second, then returns his gaze to you. "You probably already know that we are only a few miles off the southern coast of Hashein. It is the least defended because the southern bay is naturally uncomfortable to approach, so we will be landing forces there. They do not expect air attacks yet. Your first mission will be to scout out their shore artillery positions and to determine the number of ships in the bay, destroying any air resistance while you're at it. The bomber will attack ground targets that seem important, like ammunition storehouses and the shore cannons themselves, along with any ships you think are sinkable. After you are done, the rest of the fleet should catch up with my Peregrine. They will have more aeroplanes for you to test out." His insistence on the old-fashioned term sounds strange to your ears. "Choose among yourself who gets the gun aeroplanes, and who gets the bomber. Another thing... From now on, you are all officially promoted to Lieutenant rank." He salutes, slamming his knuckles together before his face. You are eager to reply - after all, even if the extra pip on your shoulder does not cheer you up, the generous slice of paycheck certainly does.
The captain checks his watch. "We have half an hour... If you need anything before you go, do tell. I'll have it brought to you."
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 08:02:45 am »

Malachi glances at the planes, then looks at the captain."What kind of range are we going to get on these machine guns, Sir?" He then walks over to the planes, and pokes at them a little. "Looks reasonably sturdy, but those struts connecting the seats to the wings worry me."

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 08:26:50 am »

Wilkinson walks around the plane, examining its structural integrity and weakpoints, before asking-
"Seems acceptable, sah, but might I ask, what kind of protection will this thing give? As well, how much ammunition or explosives will be packed onto this with us? I'm in favor of more firepower, just like any man, but exactly how vulnerable is this thing to enemy fire?"

When or if his questions are answered, Wilkinson expresses interest in piloting one of the machine gun craft.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 11:58:26 am »

Charleston hardly controls himself, so he doesn't jumps and screams of joy. The newest plane! The mission! The new rank! The glory (who cares if post-mortal)! Everything at once! That is just what he came for.

- Sir, may I begin assembling the bomber, sir?

Without waiting for the answer, which is not very polite, of course, Charleston runs to the parts of the future bomber and looks for any instruments needed by the way. If found, begins to fit parts together.

((Hey, do we have uniforms? And sidearms? Since this is early aviation, those have a non-zero effectivness))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 02:18:44 pm »

Malachi glances at the planes, then looks at the captain."What kind of range are we going to get on these machine guns, Sir?" He then walks over to the planes, and pokes at them a little. "Looks reasonably sturdy, but those struts connecting the seats to the wings worry me."
"The Renan? Six hundred meters, maybe more. The biggest problem is that you will have to bank to shoot at ground targets since the boat's nose is long...But that's not what the gun is for anyway." He shrugs. "As for the struts, I'm a naval officer, not an engineer. No idea."

Wilkinson walks around the plane, examining its structural integrity and weakpoints, before asking-
"Seems acceptable, sah, but might I ask, what kind of protection will this thing give? As well, how much ammunition or explosives will be packed onto this with us? I'm in favor of more firepower, just like any man, but exactly how vulnerable is this thing to enemy fire?"

When or if his questions are answered, Wilkinson expresses interest in piloting one of the machine gun craft.
"Protection? Heh heh... Oh wait, you are actually serious. Well, more than the Kites your enemies are flying, but there's still no armor save for a thin plate in the cockpit. It's not built for endurance. As for ammo, seven pan mags for the Renan guns - so, something like a minute and a half of uninterrupted fire - and seventy kilos of bombs - ten 5 kg charges, and two 10 kg ones."

Charleston hardly controls himself, so he doesn't jumps and screams of joy. The newest plane! The mission! The new rank! The glory (who cares if post-mortal)! Everything at once! That is just what he came for.

- Sir, may I begin assembling the bomber, sir?

Without waiting for the answer, which is not very polite, of course, Charleston runs to the parts of the future bomber and looks for any instruments needed by the way. If found, begins to fit parts together.

((Hey, do we have uniforms? And sidearms? Since this is early aviation, those have a non-zero effectivness))

The day comes. The six of you are summoned up onto the deck. Lined up as you are, you can see the sailors lowering your planes overboard on winches.
They are assembled already. As for sidearms, you have your service revolvers - I'll add the inventory to the OP later. The uniforms, of course, along with some badass goggles and regimental wind jackets. You're in the army now, boahs.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »

Wilkinson nods. It was what he expected, of course, when he signed up.
He then turns towards the man walking around the other fighter.
"You seem of like mind, old chap. Would you mind being a gunner to my flyer?"
request Malachi be my gunner on one of the machinegun planes.
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »

((Just missed the very point where I occasionally decided one of those was disassembled. Sorry. Consider me just proceeding to the bomber and skulking around it, touching each and every part of it and murmuring something about it's possible behaviour while flying))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:02:26 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »

((I doubt I can kindly request an actual plane or an airship, so ...))

Well, at least it floats, so there's that.

Request binoculars, Compass, Map, Flare gun.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 03:15:11 pm »

"Eh. I'm not much of a gunner. Mechanic by trade, you see. I was thinking that I sit in the bomb plane, we have a pilot, if we have any, fly it, and I'll throw the bombs over. Could probably keep it aloft with a little luck." Malachi looks at the captain "Can I have a toolbelt, with some tools? Also a patching kit, just in case."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:59 pm »

"I'll.. I'll fly whatever is needed.. though, with all modesty, I would prefer to fly one of the gun planes.."
Delia coughs quietly and holds her hands behind her back. She stands in the furthest point possible from the rest of the group.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:56 am »

"When do we start?"

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 04:56:18 am »

((I doubt I can kindly request an actual plane or an airship, so ...))

Well, at least it floats, so there's that.

Request binoculars, Compass, Map, Flare gun.
It turns out that a compass is built into the control panel, and there's a map and a pair of binoculars in a box located at the feet of the observer seat. A flare gun and a case of flares - two green, two red, and two blue - is brought to you. "Will that be all?" - the captain asks.

"Eh. I'm not much of a gunner. Mechanic by trade, you see. I was thinking that I sit in the bomb plane, we have a pilot, if we have any, fly it, and I'll throw the bombs over. Could probably keep it aloft with a little luck." Malachi looks at the captain "Can I have a toolbelt, with some tools? Also a patching kit, just in case."
"Sure. Don't expect to get much repairs done while in the air, but if you ever have to land...Well, it could be useful." A crewman brings a box of tools, a toolbelt to hold them, some extra strut wire, more fabric, and two large tubes: double-component epoxy glue.

"When do we start?"
"You have ten minutes till start time, but if you're all done, you can set out now. It looks like you'll have to take the bomber." You can see that the planes are tethered to the ship; to get in, one has to slide down the tethers into the cockpit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »

Having a compass separate from the control panel would be nice actually. Honestly, it's more than likely that some of us are not going to make it back in one piece, and in the unlikely event that we survive that, I want to walk the right way, and avoid getting captured.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:27 pm »

"I'll.. I'll fly whatever is needed.. though, with all modesty, I would prefer to fly one of the gun planes.."
Delia coughs quietly and holds her hands behind her back. She stands in the furthest point possible from the rest of the group.

Wilkinson turns to Delia, grinning wildly.

"Splendid! You can be my gunnah! Although, my personal opinion is that ladies should not be in the rigors of combat, I believe that we shall make a great team!"

Turning to the Officer, he says.

"Now, when do we start?"

request for the mission to begin!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:59:08 pm by WhitiusOpus »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13