Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Into Empty Skies - [1][6][Hilarity ensues]  (Read 20725 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 03:25:44 pm »

Wilkinson turns to Delia, grinning wildly.
"Splendid! You can be my gunnah! Although, my personal opinion is that ladies should not be in the rigors of combat, I believe that we shall make a great team!"
"Um, I am sorry to disappoint, but I am not a trained gunner.. I'm a pilot."
Delia shifts around uncomfortably.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »

"Eh. I'm not much of a gunner. Mechanic by trade, you see. I was thinking that I sit in the bomb plane, we have a pilot, if we have any, fly it, and I'll throw the bombs over. Could probably keep it aloft with a little luck." Malachi looks at the captain "Can I have a toolbelt, with some tools? Also a patching kit, just in case."
"I'l be the pilot, I wager."

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 04:26:41 pm »

I added some more info on nations, as well as a map, to the OP. Go check it out. If you wish to add something to your charsheets, feel free.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 04:53:28 pm »

"Right then, let's be off I guess." Pack my supplies into the plane and signal that I am ready to go.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »

((I'm gonna facepalm hard here in a minute. Y NO ONE WANT TO SHOOT GUNS???))

Wilkinson turns around, sighing.

"Well gents and ladies, if you would be so kind as to tell me how this will work, please do so. Do we have any gunners amongst us? I personally am a pilot, have always dreamt of it."

Be impatient. Request gunner.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:08 pm »

Well, I kinda thought that Charleston (P's character) is a gunner, and those light machine guns don't require much handling. I intended the "skillset" thing as more of a guideline. Except for the pilots, that is.

On an unrelated note, I have a bloody useless stupid literature conference tomorrow. I'll probably die of boredom, but if I somehow survive, there'll be an update.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2014, 08:14:02 am »

((Yeah, my character is hanging somewhere around the bomber, too busy with poking in it and murmuring bullshit to care about your tactics. This is strictly IC action, no offence.))

Charleston turns his head to the man making noise
- Huh? Gunner? Well, I am one, if you need it. Well, you just made it clear that you need one, so... here I am.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:39:44 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2014, 11:23:13 am »

So, the roster is:

Wilkinson & Spade: Gun plane #1

DaCabian & Kelly: Bomber

Wyrson & Schwartz: Gun plane #2

Am I right or what?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:25 am »

((Looks good))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »

((Good enough))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »

((Fine))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 12:46:23 pm »

((Good to go.))

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »

((Bloody good, sah.))
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:56 pm »

Okay, starting. Update in several mins. Another thing: many early planes IRL had no radios, because those were bulky and heavy, and were not thought to be important for scout machines. So if you want to communicate with another plane's crew... shout. Real loud.
Thing number two: if, for example, you're a gunner, and you need the pilot to tilt the plane so you can fire at something better, you should tell him IC. Mind-reading is weird.

Incoming update.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 03:13:49 pm »

The captain shoos the lot of you down the tethers, annoyed slightly by all the dawdling going on. He ignores your complaints about his dawdling, because he's the captain and therefore an important person.
The flying boats have the observer and pilot seats side by side. The machine guns are a model familiar to any military person, though their bulky cooling shrouds have been removed. The ammo pans and the bombs are stowed in a box beneath the observer's seat, stacked neatly. The boats themselves are mostly laminate glued onto a hardwood carcass, with a few thin metal plates for protection on the inside of the cockpit. The wing has three beams, wound about tightly with lacquered fabric. The controls are fairly simple; it seems that the engineers decided to retain the import planes' control scheme for ease of use.
Sweeping the barrel of the gun around, you see that you can easily shoot anything in front and above of you in a seventy-degree angle. In front and below is impossible: the boat's long nose prevents you from lowering the barrel. It looks like you'll have to shoot over the side if you want to hit a ground target.

The pilots start their engines with several pulls on the starting cables. The planes gain speed on the water, raising brilliantly glittering sheets of glass behind them, then take off. So far, so good - many planes experience problems with take-off, sometimes even overturning.
Gun plane #2 takes the lead, Schwartz acting as navigator. The three machines fly in an arrow formation, the bomber and Gun#1 lagging behind #2 slightly.
Quite soon, the panorama of Hashein's south bay unrolls before your eyes. The whole mouth of the bay is dotted with white plumes where water breaks over the jagged stones - Irontooth Bay, you have heard it called in some overly-patriotic and overly-dramatic publication. From the western side, the bay is protected by a crag that juts far into the sea. On the crag, there's gun battery, the grey coat of paint masking the barrels against the rock. There are several ships in the bay: you can count seven smaller craft with two twin-barreled gun turrets each, and two large battleships, each boasting a formidable arrangement of weaponry.
On the shore, there are several long, low buildings - probably barracks of some sort. Further, there is a hangar, and two Kites are resting on the landing strip, their sharply angled silhouettes jarringly familiar.
No alarm seems to be sounding.

Okay, notes. I roll for every aspect of the plane's performance that is particularly failure-prone; so if anything stupid happens, it's the dice, not me. In this game, I'm only going to show you the results of your rolls, and the enemy's rolls in direct confrontation. Random event rolls like whether somebody's seen you or not are not shown.
On a completely unrelated note, I got second place in the stupid literature conference.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13