Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Into Empty Skies - [1][6][Hilarity ensues]  (Read 20447 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Into Empty Skies - [1][6][Hilarity ensues]
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:17 pm »

Eight years ago, an engineer named Lesko Lintu returned home from abroad, the plans for a high-wing cantilever monoplane in his briefcase.

For another year, he worked in his garden shed, sawing at wood laminate, gluing strut to wing and wing to frame, bringing the designs he saw at an exhibition in a faraway country to life.
Then, when he was done, he installed the engine that all his savings went into, towed the machine into a wide field, and started it.
A couple of his university friends - now professors and designers of machines - watched as the rickety airframe detached from the ground, ascended as high as a man is tall, sped from one end of the field to the other, and landed with a crunch, breaking a landing gear stand.
Now, this might not seem like much to us, but these men of learning, they were entranced. A renowned professor at the Polytechnic School of Dren (that is the name of the country I am telling you about) gave a lecture on the principles of heavier-than-air flying machines. Another started an aviation club, where students assembled models, and ultimately, a full-sized biplane which had an operational ceiling of almost a hundred meters. Soon, aviation was the most popular pastime in academic circles.
It progressed with lightning speed. Maneuver capabilities and height limits increased day by day. Honse, Hainsson, Dervent, Havarissen, Nowen - those cunning engineers and brave pilots were the talk of every aviation enthusiast in the country. A wealthy factory owner commissioned the construction of the heaviest aircraft in the world - it was a biplane with four engines placed in tandem, and it could carry more than half a ton of cargo.
However, the Drenni military leadership did not see the use of aviation, thinking it too finicky for battlefield use. They produced a Herstavi scout plane on license - it was a rickety thing that lacked even a fuselage, having only a seat suspended among the wing struts for the pilot. The result of this negligence was the Blockade of Hashein Island fiasco, where numerous Drenni battleships were sunk by Rahu pilots wielding hand-thrown bombs, while any Drenni air resistance was crushed by their machine-guns. The use of spotter planes increased the effectiveness of Rahu artillery by an order of magnitude. The blockade was broken. The fleet of Dren suffered defeat for the first time in its history.
That roused all the admirals and generals from their misconceptions. The engineers Dervent and Nowen were contracted to build multiple planes for a wide range of applications in preparation for the next stage of the war with Rah. However, these planes needed someone to test them in combat, and a group of daredevil aviators was assembled from both army pilots and civilian volunteers- the 1st Experimental Airfleet Division. You guys.

Spoiler: Important notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Some lore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Joining (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players&Waitlist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventories (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hit Chart of DOOOOM (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:03:02 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »

This looks pretty sweet.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:25:45 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

Joining.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:33:12 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »

Name:Malachi Kelly(If you get the reference you get a cookie)
Skillset: Mechanic.
Description:A tall, lightly muscled tanned old man, with hard lines and slightly graying but mostly still black hair. Has a big scar on his left leg, where they dug shrapnel out. His hair long fringe, and he has a dwarfish beard.

Small design of what he sort of looks like, missing most of the details.
Bio: An old sea dog that was one of the few survivors of the battle of Hashein Island. He was transferred to the the 1st Experimental Airfleet Division due to his firsthand knowledge of what the enemy was capable of. Inherently dislikes planes due to them making him loose his ship and crew, but admires there potential power.

If you want me to do a picture for you guy, you can ask.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:34:35 pm by werty892 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »

Bob B. Robertson
Male
Engineer/Inventor
He was a genius. He liked planes. He could legally join the army. He was drunk for the first and last time.
Tall, lanky, horn rim glasses, albino.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:53:10 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:17 pm »

Ah crap, completely forgot. Also include your character's appearance in the sheet - just note that blue and green hair dyes have not been invented yet.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »

Ah crap, completely forgot. Also include your character's appearance in the sheet - just note that blue and green hair dyes have not been invented yet.
Darnit.
Is it possible to slide by with the argument that my character's hair and eyes are naturally green? Or will I just have to use brown hair?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »

Darnit.
Is it possible to slide by with the argument that my character's hair and eyes are naturally green? Or will I just have to use brown hair?
Brown, blonde, black, ash-gray, whatever. Those guys are all human, so green hair is not gritty enough kinda weird. Your character can invent green hair dye, though, if you want it so much.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34:52 pm »

Edited and added a picture :)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:57 pm »

Name: Biggs Cracken
Skillset: Pilot
Bio: A kid who spent his early years racing horses, cars, bikes and anything else he got his hands on that allowed him to travel at reckless speeds and injure himself. So naturally when volunteer were called for to pilot the fastest moving vehicle on the planet with high odds of injury or death Biggs was first in line to volunteer his meat sack to have fun and prove that the self preservation instinct is for wimps and women do his duty.
Appearance: Tall and lean with short brown hair and bright blue eyes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:20:57 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »

Enlisting, Sah!

Spoiler: Lt. Wilkson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:31:49 am by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27:32 am »

Provide pilot name, and divide 6 points between Piloting, Gunnery, and Awareness. Provide a model of real-life aircraft you want to fly (you can change it later) and the weapons it would have. Not limited to fighters - bombers, zeppelins, and attack helicopters are all fair game if you want. You can start playing once I have the aircraft statted out.

Am I missing a reference, or has my GM-mantle been taken away? :-[

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 04:05:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:10 am »

Provide pilot name, and divide 6 points between Piloting, Gunnery, and Awareness. Provide a model of real-life aircraft you want to fly (you can change it later) and the weapons it would have. Not limited to fighters - bombers, zeppelins, and attack helicopters are all fair game if you want. You can start playing once I have the aircraft statted out.

Am I missing a reference, or has my GM-mantle been taken away? :-[

WHUPS. Sorry, missed that. It's for a game exactly like this one, and I musta copied/pasted... My bad!

just kidding I'm really stealing the mantle
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - the early days of aviation [GM needs charsheets badly]
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 09:50:25 am »

Place holder.
Looks like worthy thingy.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Charleston Spade (click to show/hide)

EDIT (2):
Avis, can you give a somewhat equivalent date in our history to that time period of yours you throw us in?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:43:08 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13