Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Desertdeath the Dreadful Tomb Of Horror  (Read 3548 times)

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
Re: Desertdeath the Dreadful Tomb Of Horror
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 11:41:50 pm »

Journel of Senshuken Alexander

Date: 26th Malachite 252

Smackerlips was screaming earlier today about 'filthy feathered flying worm muncher men' or something. Turns out he wasn't just seeing shit after his latest bender. Some sort of human/raven hybrid has shown up. I confess that it's parentage would be a rather interesting story but our safety must comes first. I've only heard about one of them being here so far, but gods help us if a whole murder of them decide to show up.

A company of dwarfs seems to be approaching our position. So far their intentions are unknown. We'll have to see how this plays out...

lmao

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:20 am »

Smackerlips was screaming earlier today about 'filthy feathered flying worm muncher men' or something. Turns out he wasn't just seeing shit after his latest bender. Some sort of human/raven hybrid has shown up. I confess that it's parentage would be a rather interesting story but our safety must comes first. I've only heard about one of them being here so far, but gods help us if a whole murder of them decide to show up.

A company of dwarfs seems to be approaching our position. So far their intentions are unknown. We'll have to see how this plays out...

lmao

Lets face it, Smackerlips is the kind of dwarf who'll no one is going to believe when he says he saw something crazy while drunk. Considering the fact that all dwarfs need to drink daily and heavily in order to remain sane, that says a lot.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:50 am »

lmao

Lets face it, Smackerlips is the kind of dwarf who'll no one is going to believe when he says he saw something crazy while drunk. Considering the fact that all dwarfs need to drink daily and heavily in order to remain sane, that says a lot.

Agreed.

Your comedic tone was not wasted on me good sir, enjoyed your journal  :)
*Immortality gained!*

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:30 pm »

I'm really enjoying this, thanks.

I lurk mostly but have had thoughts of getting involved in this forum. How do you get such great pictures?  Are you just cropping screen captures?  Is there an in game way to take pics like this?  Thanks again.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:59:38 am »

I'm really enjoying this, thanks.

I lurk mostly but have had thoughts of getting involved in this forum. How do you get such great pictures?  Are you just cropping screen captures?  Is there an in game way to take pics like this?  Thanks again.
I use alt + print screen, paste it into a new document in Photoshop, crop it and save as PNG. I'm not sure if there's an in-game way.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 06:19:21 am »

Diary of Kadol "Henny" Tumammelbil, 8th Sandstone 252

There I was, diary, with ten blood-thirsty raven men loitering around the fortress! How did I solve this problem, you ask?

First of all, I gathered everyone for a meeting in the dinner hall. I mustered all the dignity I had, rose into full length (~120 cm) and asked the new arrivals:

"Be you friend or be you foe?"

"You betcha we're friends! We came here in search for a better life."

"What", I said.

"With this here fort being so wealthy and all, we reckoned we come here. The name sounds so secure, too."

"Uh, OK. So you're basically on our side?"

"You have my word."

"And you have my crossbow."

"AND MY AXE!"

"You don't have an axe, Ares."

"*grumbles*"

"Anyway", I said, fearing I was losing grip of the conversation, "I will now go over the plan of action. It's p-p-p..."

"It's what?"

"P-P-Peaceful coexistence. There, I said it."

A collective gasp of shock and accompanying murmur at this use of elven loan words was heard throughout the hall.

"I know it sounds bad", I said, "but with things as they are I believe that's our best chance."

And so the raven men flew through the fortress, confirmed that it was a dump, and left as soon as they came. In retrospect, it was rather anticlimactic.

With this unexpected influx of labour, I got to work on expanding operations. New workshops were built and I designated a stockpile for wood, a most valuable resource here in this tree-free land.

I got to solving the sand bag bottleneck problem with one glass furnace entirely dedicated to Smackerlips' handiwork, and one to delegate sand bag hauling. I'm not sure why I need an extra furnace for that, but so it goes.

Smackerlips was rather disgruntled with me moving the glass furnace undeground, but became happier when I told him we had dug out a complex chimney system. He fell for it.

The immigrants brought water buffalo and reindeer calves, which were unceremoniously butchered, despite the planter's protests.

Man Dwarf, did it feel good to dig through anything that wasn't shitty schist or sand. It's really hard to dig through sand with a pick, diary, you have no idea. Marble is a flux stone, but we don't have any iron. Or weaponsmiths. Or anvils.

Not one, but two kobold thieves, has appeared on our frontstep! Screw peaceful coexistence, these sons of bees are going down.

I gathered the four most useless dwarves into a rag-tag militia, with orders to kill mercilessly. They called themselves the "Hazy Boats", apparently some kind of water-faring vehicle. Silly, right?

[Armok forgive me for this.]

The kobolds, abandoning all hope of loot, and ran (fast-crawled?) towards the horizon, a peaceful solution to a conflict once again carrying the day.

...Damn, if I don't get to kill anything vaguely hostile soon, I'm gonna go out of my mind.

Up above, the persistent herbalism has finally paid off, with whip vines ready to enter production - a nice perk of living in a savage biome.

Large serrated discs, these gods of killing, I finally feel safe commissioning. Smackerlips should be happy, too.

Our old mason felt insecure in the presence of our new, basically better in every way mason, so I "rewarded" his long faithful service with oh so vital block-making duty.

I wanted a few more bags just in case, but I wasn't expecting a new masterwork. That new clothier is good.

I feel that allowing blocks in the new general stockpile might have been a mistake.

Summer ended and autumn began. Not that the desert cared.

Is this an ominous sign of things to come?

Damn, we have a lot of crap.

I'm starting to doubt if this new mason of ours is any more intelligent than the old one.

Also, note the new puppy alarm system I set up. Using them as bait may be cruel, but it could give us precious time to lock out an ambush.

I wonder if the new catapult that was set up will help with the defense situation at all, but at least it's something.

More immigrants?! Are these dwarves crazy, or what? Another great blacksmith, just what I needed...

I can't help but notice that the new glassmith is much better than Smackerlips. I wonder how he'll take it...

Note: The dogs are becoming rather populous. I can hardly move in the dinner hall without stepping on a puppy. Hmm...
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 08:16:52 am »

Enraged misfortunes of drunken dwarf by the name of Smackerlips

Smackerlips was standing atop a dining hall table shouting at the top of his lungs, ale spittle flying in all directions, a small crowd gathered to watch the confrontation
 "YOU!!? YOUU!! THINK YOU CAN BEST ME AT GLASS MAKING!!! WHAT INSULTS! WHAT UTTER REDEEKULOUSNESSUS!"

Morul crossed his arms, his skin was bronzed, either by furance fire, or sun.
"Let us test our skills then, we shall see who is the better glasser!"

Smackerlips grunted hard picked up another ale and drank it, spilling massive amounts down onto his chest then spoke in short bursts of dwarven fury!
"LET US... WASTE NOS TIME.... THEN, MR ILLIDOODAY! THE NAM MOZIRABAN WILL BE ON Hicup! ON YOUR CUFFIN HEADSTO--"

Morul interrupted him
"My name is Iliddeduk, Morul Iliddeduk, you drunken fool!"

As morul turned and left towards one of the forges, Smackerlips held two fingers upright, one on each side of his head, the ultimate dwarven insult gesture meaning Elf-like, the crowd roared in the spirit of competition.

BEST MEE!! Oh he will see! Just let me get oneeeee more drink before i start

Wels, thet was good ales... I will jus have one more.

OK, i wils makea, tha bests glass mug knowns to dwaarf kinds

Smackerlips loved his chimney, he swore he'd never work on an underground furance, but the way Henny explained how the system gyrated and cleared the smoke soooo damn efficiently made Moziraban jealous of anyone else using it, so he said he must work in that furance, OR HE QUITS!

To which Henny replied,
"Well, if you must."

OOC:
You have great write ups Henny, all the pictures are awesome.

Will continue the story shortly, considering Morul Iliddeduk is a level 11 glassmaker, Smackerlips will probably be damned out of luck.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:47:22 pm by PlayingGood »
*Immortality gained!*

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 08:36:59 am »

Journal of Senshuken Alexander

Date:8th Sandstone 252

Well, the murder of crow people have passed by without incident and now we're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a tavern of dwarfs (I think that's the right one. We don't have enough dwarfs for it to be an argument and there aren't enough nobles for it to be an insanity. I'll have to make a note to check around...) insane enough to want to set themselves up here... As horrifying an idea as it seems, there appear to be dwarfs more twisted and insane then Smackerlips out there and the bastards seem to want to move here all of a sudden! OH GODS NO!!!

*There appears to be a stain on the page. It smells strongly of alcohol.*

Sorry about that. I was almost sober there for a moment. It was horrifying.

Thankfully Kadol (The wonderful woman that she is) was able to hold me down and force alcohol down my throat until I stopped screaming and trying to rip out my own throat with my teeth ( I admit that progress was slow, but I'm sure I would have figured something out sooner or later if Kadol hadn't saved me from the horror of being sober).

Anyway.

Large. Serrated. Discs.

Not even the kobold thieves that keep getting in here can ruin such a wonderful, pure thing as a large, serrated disc. Once the 'Hazy Boats' *There is another alcohol stain on the page* have cleared out the damn thieves, I'm going to set these up and give them the old fashion offerings to the gods... blood. Lots and lots of blood. And limbs. Screaming is optional but highly welcomed. By the time I'm done, the only way something that isn't a dwarf is getting through this hallway alive is because every prick before them clogged the traps with their own twisted remains that they can't quite kill some more.

Note to self, talk to overseer about getting teams to clean the hallway at least one a week.

(Side note, Smackerlips might not be the main glassmaker anymore. We'll see how things pan out.)
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 10:10:50 pm »

Smackerlips worked for hours, blood, sweat, and booze went into this project.

Ohs this will bes the best glass drinking mug ever made!

He shaped it perfectly, and engaved a scene of a dwarf holding a mug of ale in one hand, and a sword in the other chopping off a kneeled down elfs head.

Das is perfection, in the names of Armok!

The hot furnace fire had begun to smolder down, and he drank the last of his glass bottle of wine.

He carried his finely crafted item to the dining hall, awaiting his glory and fame as the head glass-smith.

Iz will probably get a new livin` quarters, maybe a statue made of me!

As he peered into the dining hall, Morul was surrounded by a crowd, they were admiring his mastercrafted dwarfen mug of the finest quality.

Morul spoke first,
"Aw there you are, let us see what you have made, even if it was made rather slow."

Moziraban held out his item, it was a fine mug indeed, but it did not match Iliddeduk's craftsmanship.

The other dwarves immediately turned back to Morul's piece and started getting happy thoughts admiring it, it was encrusted with spikes of Indigo tourmaline and teamed with intricate designs of the highest quality.

One of the crowd spoke up,
"Morul can i drink from that mug!? please!"

Iliddeduk smiled at Smackerlips while saying,

"Why sure you can! Let us all pass it around in dwarfen fashion until we all feel tipsy!"

Smackerlips protested in vain,
"Hey! Who wans to drank from my mug??"

He held it out again, but everyone was following Morul to the barrels to drink from his masterwork mug.

Enraged Moziraban stomped over to where everyone was scooping ale out of a large wooden barrel, he shoved his way to the front and picked up the entire barrel of dwarfen ale!

one of the crowd reacted,
"Smackerlips what are you doing! We were drinking from that!"

Moziraban was flushed red and steaming mad, he dropped his mug into the barrel and carried the whole thing off to his quarters, where he stayed until morning singing and drinking from his newly made mug.

EDIT+

OOC:
Smackerlips is at your disposal Henny, for whatever job you see fit.
He would prefer to keep working glass, but he did loose the competition.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:50:49 am by PlayingGood »
*Immortality gained!*

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 06:33:20 am »

Ahaha, nice journals everyone.  :D

OOC:
Aye, I'm thinking Henny doesn't really care about quality as long as the quantity is good, so why not just double production?

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 06:57:29 am »

Ahaha, nice journals everyone.  :D

OOC:
Aye, I'm thinking Henny doesn't really care about quality as long as the quantity is good, so why not just double production?

:) you can always count on Smackerlips for quantity,

He reminds me of one of the drunk glass makers in Werner Herzogs, heart of glass.

booze and glass making really do go hand in hand.
*Immortality gained!*

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 07:37:09 am »

i have lost all understanding
Also i would recommend leaving a level between your traps and the remainder of your fortress to leave from room for stupid things (*cough* traps)
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)
Pages: 1 [2]