Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tales of Drivehelm, est. 126  (Read 1146 times)

Moriarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tales of Drivehelm, est. 126
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:16:03 pm »

Here are a few short tales from my latest fort, Drivehelm. This is my first post ever, and the first time I've written anything in a long time. I hope you enjoy.

-A story about setting up my smelter/forge assembly line. I was blessed with flux stone, bituminous coal, lignite, magnetite, tetrahedrite, native silver and horn silver. All the things a growing dwarf needs! There was alot of trial and error.

Anticipation
A hush came over the assembled Dwarves of Drivehelm as the mayor clambered up on top the dining hall's central chalk table. They had all been brought together for the unveiling of Drivehelm's new multi-stage minecart assisted assembly line. Preparations had begun one year earlier; tracks were carved, smelters and forges built, stockpiles filled to the brim, minecarts forged from the finest horn silver. When completed and operational, it would be the pride of the Bell of Flames. The fields had been all left fallow this winter, the dwarfpower was needed to ensure the operation ran smoothly. As the mayor gave his introductory speech, some dwarves rolled their eyes and muttered under their breaths. Nobles and their formalities... Everyone knew why they were all here together, it was no secret. After the speech, the manager climbed atop the chalk table next to the mayor and began to read from his turkey leather scroll. Names were called out and tasks were assigned to the eager dwarves. Some balked at being assigned to lowly hauler duty, but were quickly cajoled back into good spirits by some of their more humourous brethren. Everyone was excited, although some begrudgingly. They all filed out of the dining hall, the meeting concluded, morale high and the fortress alive with activity. The mayor sat cross-legged on the table and ate a turkey hen egg biscuit he pulled from his goat leather bag, smiling and feeling quite satisfied at work lately.

-A story about the day I discovered that you could butcher animals from the 'v' screen. I felt bad after.

The Butcher and the Lady-dog
        The butcher walked into the dining hall, scanning the crowd. He had been tasked with butchering a female dog, an uncommon practice in Drivehelm. His keen eyes found her after a moment, laying on the floor near an occupied table, looking longingly at the furnace operator's goat meat stew. The butcher called out to her, and her ears pricked up. She began to crawl pathetically towards him, her left paws scratching at the smoothed magnetite floor, her right ones flopping uselessly at her sides. Never giving up or losing her panting dog-smile. He remembered her now.
        Years ago, a dirty loincloth-clad kobold had stubbornly refused to leave the wooded area to the southeast. The dogs were assembled and let loose through the woods to flush him out. For some reason he still patently refused to flee, preferring to die in combat. Three times his knife sang out, each time slashing this unfortunate lady-dog in the right legs. She persevered and kept up the fight as best she could until the other dogs took him down. The kobold was slain, but the damage was done.
        Seeing her troubles and admiring her spirit, he walked over and picked her up. As he marched to his workshop, memories came back to him. Her brave sacrifice. Seeing her birthing and raising litters of pups, despite her injuries. Parents giving their children lessons in dwarven spirit: "Never give up, son! Look at old Lady-dog there. She never gave up! And she's only a dog!". He wondered why this pointless task was to be, but an order was an order plain and simple. As he set her down on the chopping block, he looked into her chocolate brown eyes. She was still panting and smiling her dog-smile, oblivious to the danger. He brought the bronze knife down and a single tear cascaded down his wrinkled face and moistened his beard. He then decided that he really didn't care about anything anymore.

I'll have another one up soon if these are to everyone's liking, I've almost got it done but I want to play some more.

Moriarty

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Drivehelm, est. 126
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20:25 pm »

Very nice, let me be first to welcome you to the forums. Tell me, Good Sir, do you plan on doing any community forts in the future? If so feel free to count me in.^^

Edit: Second one in particular I found interesting. It brings a tear to my eye and looking at the, unquestionably pathetic, history of my community games it is no simple task.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:26:18 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Moriarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:40:47 pm »

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've never been involved in a community fort, but I've read some amazing tales here and may contribute to one later.

The second tale is dear to me. Once I got to thinking about what I'd done, and the life the dog led, well the ideas came easily. Thanks for your reply.

Moriarty

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »

If it will make you feel better about this think of it as shortening the torment that poor dog would have went through at the end of it's natural lifespan.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Moriarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »

bump

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:04:33 pm »

Good read! looking forward to your next work.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »

I'll agree:  Those are some wonderful examples of flash fiction.  Kudos, sir!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii