1760 px
1680 px
1600 px
1520 px
1440 px
1360 px
1280 px

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DawnFortress v0.28 [Dead]  (Read 54643 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress v0.18 [WIP]
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:28 am »

Going by the raws, indeed, kobolds have no tails, brown skin, and yellow eyes (also, three toes on each foot instead of five so their tracks would look like dinosaur tracks, the more you know!)

Posting to watch, looking nice so far!  Also agree with the above statement that when it comes to the sentient races, identifying profession is the most important, as you always need to tell what a dwarf is on first glance.  (A good trick I like to use is to color their shirts or relevant clothing the same color as their profession color - nobles in purple, fisherdwarves in dark blue, miners in white, etc.)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress v0.17 [WIP]
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 08:34:40 pm »

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback! It means a lot to me that this tileset has gotten such a warm reception so far. It's positive feedback like this that keeps me going. :)

== UPDATE 2/17/14 ==
 - KenranFortress has consistent accented characters.
 - 58 body tiles for gore and cooking.
 - 172 insect, arachnid and pest sprites.

And to celebrate the unnecessary addition of body graphics, a surprisingly relevant song from Adventure Time, courtesy of Jake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJgBetBDsE

And coming up next update is some exciting news! I've been patiently going through the raw files alphabetically, and I've finally gotten to "graphics_creature_standard.txt", which is the file containing all of the major races! This is going to be the most important (and fun) part of the graphics set, so I thought I'd get a bit of user feedback before I dive in.

Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Orcs, Cutebolds

I'm aware that goblins are green and orcs aren't in DF, but I'd like to make some contrast between the two and add in orcs just for fun once the pack's done. :) What do you guys think? Any edits I should make? These are very important sprites which will serve as a base for every single job with skeletal and undead combinations included. If you don't like these sprites right now, you're going to be sick of them when I make the 300+ sprites necessary for each race. Be very harsh with critisisms, please, because once I start drawing these guys there's no going back.
love the cutebolds, but they look more like dinosaurs than the adorable grey dog(?) creatures I always seen people draw. maybe the color?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:41 pm »

I always thought it would be pretty awesome to have a set of body part graphics (i.e. wings, tails, different body types, etc...)
Yeah, I've put some thought into it and I'll definitely be doing something like that...possibly for forgotten creatures, too. Anyone know how texturing those works?

Do you plan on doing full profession sets for all races?
Most certainly. This tileset is going to texture EVERYTHING in Dwarf Fortress, used or unused, and then some. That's just how I do my modding projects!

In today's news, I've taken the first few steps into making the hundreds of profession tiles. Learning from my mistakes, I'm being very meticulous so I won't have to redo anything. For now, here are the finalized race designs and the 100+ pieces of clothing/skin/hair that I'll be mixing and matching to make each profession.

Spoiler: Profession Template (click to show/hide)

So far, there are 2352 possible combinations for the haired creatures and 1176 for goblins and kobolds. Coupled with some tools, hats, capes and armors, there won't be any problem in telling professions apart. Oh, and they'll be color-coded just like Vanilla DF.

And here's where I'm running into trouble...I've just started planning the sheet organization and I'm not sure I'm covering everything. I might be missing some stuff, the unused professions in particular and some weird alternate duplicates like TAXCOLLECTOR and TAX_COLLECTOR. Again, I'll be texturing everything so I'll need to make sure these are in the list. Can someone check this list to see if I've gotten everything? I'll also be doing zombie and skeleton variants for each profession, so how do I do that? I'd assume you'd just do something like [SWORDSMAN:DUMBDWARVES:1:1:AS_IS:ZOMBIE], but then again that might be 40d only...getting my information from here.

Can't wait to do bookeeper kobold. Hurr. :B

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:27 am »

Tax Collector and Law Enforcing military sprites do not work atm. Usually your military should look like those if they are the bodyguards of the tax collector (doesnt exist anymore) or your fortress guard (exists, but doesnt work) Its just for people to easier distinguish the squads by graphics.

Forgotten Beasts: Anyone know how texturing those works?
The are procedually generated with ID from FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1 to _N. Same with DEMON_1, TITAN_1 and NIGHT_CREATURE_1 All of them are mapped to the same tile. So demon uses a tile, titan another tile, nightcreatures one and fbs one. The wiki has the numbers.

Since they are creatures, it should be possible to give them sprites, which I do in MDF.

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:FORGOTTEN_BEAST]
   [DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_P:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]

And then you just make a long, long list to cover most of the numbers. The best example is the graphics_phoebus_procedural.txt file. Just have a look and you know what I mean.

The problem is that they are different each world. Yes, you can make DEMON_12 look like a red ash brute with wings, but you have no way of knowing if it really will be one, or a green treefrog demon that undulates and has a gaunt appearance. You cant fit their descriptions to their sprites. Thats why most people tie them to a single "demon" sprite. the ADD_COLOR helps a bit with that. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 08:46:38 pm »

Can't wait to do bookeeper kobold. Hurr. :B
I am imagining a kobold being attacked by a swarm of bees right now, XD
EDIT: just realized it said bookeeper, not beekeeper. whoops.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:11 pm »

Since they are creatures, it should be possible to give them sprites, which I do in MDF.
Thanks! Everything makes a bit more sense now. I've taken a look into Phoebus's tileset and found everything in "graphics_phoebus_procedural.txt". I'll be doing something similar to that.

And now...after dozens of confused wiki readings, several viewings of many different graphics sets and many screams of frustration, I've managed to compactly categorize every single profession into a neatly-organized, finalized .txt file.

The total came out to a very large 154 rows and 5 columns. Add on 6 different races, and that brings the grand total of profession sprites to 2994 individual tiles. But it won't take that long at all because of my nice little layered template. Reordering the text file would be a nightmare but if I decide to move a pixel or two on the plain base, that would take about a minute or two to update. Work will be approximately 80% c/p and 20% actually drawing. I expect this all to take about 3 days.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:56:05 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »

Oh I think the Zombie and Skeleton calls have been replaced with ANIMATED someone clarify this before this template goes universal.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:04 am »

Oh I think the Zombie and Skeleton calls have been replaced with ANIMATED someone clarify this before this template goes universal.
Thats correct.

the current phoebus has this in the files:
Code: [Select]
18 - Skeletons
!!!!!SKELETON:PHOEBUS_D:0:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!WRESTLER:PHOEBUS_D:1:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!SPEARMAN:PHOEBUS_D:2:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!SWORDSMAN:PHOEBUS_D:3:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!AXEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:4:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!HAMMERMAN:PHOEBUS_D:5:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!CROSSBOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:6:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MACEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:7:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!LASHER:PHOEBUS_D:8:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!PIKEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:9:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
0 !!!!!BLOWGUNMAN:PHOEBUS_D:0:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!BOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:11:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton

19 - Skeletons (Masters) {{18}}
!!!!!MASTER_WRESTLER:PHOEBUS_D:1:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_SPEARMAN:PHOEBUS_D:2:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_SWORDSMAN:PHOEBUS_D:3:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_AXEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:4:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_HAMMERMAN:PHOEBUS_D:5:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_CROSSBOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:6:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_MACEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:7:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_LASHER:PHOEBUS_D:8:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_PIKEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:9:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
0 !!!!!MASTER_BLOWGUNMAN:PHOEBUS_D:0:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
!!!!!MASTER_BOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:11:18:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton

20 - Zombies
[ANIMATED:PHOEBUS_D:0:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!WRESTLER:PHOEBUS_D:1:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!SPEARMAN:PHOEBUS_D:2:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!SWORDSMAN:PHOEBUS_D:3:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!AXEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:4:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!HAMMERMAN:PHOEBUS_D:5:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!CROSSBOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:6:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MACEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:7:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!LASHER:PHOEBUS_D:8:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!PIKEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:9:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
0 !!!!!BLOWGUNMAN:PHOEBUS_D:0:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!BOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:11:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie

21 - Zombies (Masters) {{20}}
!!!!!MASTER_WRESTLER:PHOEBUS_D:1:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_SPEARMAN:PHOEBUS_D:2:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_SWORDSMAN:PHOEBUS_D:3:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_AXEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:4:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_HAMMERMAN:PHOEBUS_D:5:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_CROSSBOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:6:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_MACEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:7:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_LASHER:PHOEBUS_D:8:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_PIKEMAN:PHOEBUS_D:9:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
0 !!!!!MASTER_BLOWGUNMAN:PHOEBUS_D:0:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
!!!!!MASTER_BOWMAN:PHOEBUS_D:11:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie

All the previous zombie and skeleton versions are commented out, there is only one line for a ANIMATED dwarf. A single sprite, for all undead zombie dwarves.

EDIT: DragonDePlatino: Once your sprites and tileset is done, might I add it to the Masterwork Dwarf Fortress pack? I include pretty much all other sets as well, currently 15. The mod includes a utility that allows players to switch between them, without the need to edit anything themselves.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:26:40 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 11:46:03 am »

I really like the selection of colors in your pallet for this project.  They give off that Old Worlde appeal. I wonder if you could talk Lightrow (Grimm Fortress) or Vherid into putting together a color file for this?  I'd hand over the raws to your tileset to one of them too for tweaking a few of them -- they're experts in that field.

Please don't misunderstand me or take offense.  I'm sure you can handle those items on your own after your done with thousands of sprites!   ;D 

Meph is the scripting expert -- I'm glad he's onboard.  This project is giving me jitters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »

*notices poll*

... My screen is 2560x1600
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:11 pm »

Clatch: You got a few things mixed up:
I'd hand over the raws to your tileset to one of them too for tweaking a few of them -- they're experts in that field.

Meph is the scripting expert -- I'm glad he's onboard.  This project is giving me jitters.
Color schemes have nothing to do with raws. Vherid probably hasnt done much in the field of raw-tweaking to fit tiles better. Obsidian Soul, Phoebus, Ironhand, deon or me would be good examples.

And saying that I am a scripting expert is an insult to anyone who can script, because I cant script at all. I mod Raws, but scripts = dfhack = ag, warmist, putnam, indigofenix, roses, peterix, quietust. In general, you want to know something for sure, ask Quietust. ;)

But you are correct in so far that Vherid is the resident color scheme expert. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:24:48 pm by Meph »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:21 pm »

Color schemes have nothing to do with raws. Vherid probably hasnt done much in the field of raw-tweaking to fit tiles better. Obsidian Soul, Phoebus, Ironhand, deon or me would be good examples.

I personally like Vherid's tile set.  Anyway... There are only a few items on board the tile set that need tweaking. In most of the recent tile sets, a color file has also been included, and I think DragonDePlantino's color pallet would be great for that.  For instance, in-vision a color set in the same vein as Grimm Fortress with the mist-like appearance of elevations.  Some of the whites and more old worlde colors in Dragon's pallet would look amazing in likeness.

And saying that I am a scripting expert is an insult to anyone who can script, because I cant script at all. I mod Raws, but scripts = dfhack = ag, warmist, putnam, indigofenix, roses, peterix, quietust. In general, you want to know something for sure, ask Quietust. ;)

I'm certainly not discrediting the other contributors to Masterwork by acknowledging your help here.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:17:26 pm by Clatch »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

Thats correct.

EDIT: DragonDePlatino: Once your sprites and tileset is done, might I add it to the Masterwork Dwarf Fortress pack? I include pretty much all other sets as well, currently 15. The mod includes a utility that allows players to switch between them, without the need to edit anything themselves.
Yup, I figured...going to be making those versions nevertheless in case future support is added or someone would like to mod them to be possible. Yes, and once it's done you may add it to Masterwork Dwarf Fortress. And if you're missing any graphics, (the 16x16 ones. I have no idea what those giant dwarf bases are O.e) then I'll gladly add in a few. I'll also be making a tutorial (for all artistic skill levels) on how to make your own DawnBringer-based graphics for modding.

I really like the selection of colors in your pallet for this project.
You can find the colors.txt in the main download. The palette is DawnBringer's, a very famous one in the pixel art community. It's only a measly 16 colors and I've been using it for months, but even now I'm still learning more about it every day. It's the perfect 16-color palette, with the exception of magenta/bright-purple being missing. DawnBringer has acknowledged this and says he had to make some sacrifices because they're not commonly used colors.

*notices poll*

Whoa. a 32 x 51 graphics set. No way anyone'd be able to pull that off. XD But I will consider making a 2x version of DawnFortress when it's finished.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 05:37:48 pm »

And if you're missing any graphics
There are ~1300 creatures in the mod, but many of them are fake creatures for items, that do not appear ingame. Still, probably 1000 are actual creatures. They all have their, some good, some bad, 16x sprites, so no worries.

You might want to ask IndigoFenix though. He is working on a Gnome race for Masterwork, and they do build many steampunk based creatures/pets. He was asking for pixel artist at some point, so he might appreciate the offer. :)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

*notices poll*

Whoa. a 32 x 51 graphics set. No way anyone'd be able to pull that off. XD But I will consider making a 2x version of DawnFortress when it's finished.

That would be great!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6