1760 px
1680 px
1600 px
1520 px
1440 px
1360 px
1280 px

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: DawnFortress v0.28 [Dead]  (Read 54276 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: DawnFortress v0.18 [WIP]
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »

*notices poll*

... My screen is 2560x1600
Whoa. a 32 x 51 graphics set. No way anyone'd be able to pull that off. XD But I will consider making a 2x version of DawnFortress when it's finished.

That would be great!

Yeah a X2 version would be good afterwards. Also I'm not really diggin the drop shadows on the ramps, could there be a version without drop shadows on the ramps?

Also @SalmonGod, your sig I love that song and Nightwish.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

Yeah a X2 version would be good afterwards. Also I'm not really diggin the drop shadows on the ramps, could there be a version without drop shadows on the ramps?
It's definitely a possibility. No shadows on ramps will also mean no shadows on mountains, I think. I'll include shadowed and unshadowed versions of everything in the next update so people can mix and match as they please.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2014, 12:49:27 am »

You can find the colors.txt in the main download. The palette is DawnBringer's, a very famous one in the pixel art community. It's only a measly 16 colors and I've been using it for months, but even now I'm still learning more about it every day. It's the perfect 16-color palette, with the exception of magenta/bright-purple being missing. DawnBringer has acknowledged this and says he had to make some sacrifices because they're not commonly used colors.

I transferred the colors over before I realized you posted a color.txt.  I hadn't noticed the download option before.  Well in any case, the colors in the following chart are unaltered from the link you supplied with them scooted around to their like positions on the DF pallet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:53:21 am by Clatch »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress v0.26 [WIP]
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2014, 01:40:55 am »

After 3 weeks of work, 3072 tiles, and several crashes of ASEprite due the size of these images, I am very proud to announce v0.26 of DawnFortress. With the inclusion of ALL the professions for ALL the races and then some, I can now conclude this graphics set is now "playable". Here is the full update list, with the biggest and most important features finally finished!

== UPDATE 3/1/14 ==
 - 3072 unique graphics for all professions. Included are humans, dwarves, elves, goblins, kobolds and orcs with undead/skeletal versions.
 - 2x version of all DawnFortress and KenranFortress graphics so far.
 - Raw .ASE image files. Edit these with ASEprite to modify tiles.
 - Raw .PDN image files for 32x32 version. Open these with Paint.NET.

Everything has been updated and included in the OP. Check there for a download.

@Taffer

Oh dude, no way! Is a Lord Helix avatar? From Reddit? I'm surprised to find some TwitchPlaysPokemon fans around these parts...But on the other hand, maybe DF fans like TwitchPlaysPokemon because it shares it's chaos with DwarfFortress? :D

@Clatch

I don't want to come across as bossy, but could you send me just two more screenshots so I can finally add some to the OP? They should be in 16x16 and 32x32, showing slightly different scenes. Both should include a large view of a fortress with as many different professions you can include as possible. Avoid having unfinished tiles in the screenshots if you can. Go nuts, and take a picture of a huge dining hall meeting if you want. :)

Oh, and if you can't get a 32x32 graphics set working, go ahead and tell me so I can hand off that responsibility to someone else. I can't do it myself, because my max resolution is 20x20. D:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:51:50 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 02:36:13 am »

I can't do it myself, because my max resolution is 20x20. D:
Try the 32x set, then press F11 ingame. The game will go into window mode and show full zoom (the window resizes to fit the 80 tiles width. It recenters and zooms out if you drag it, but at least you can have a look at it. Thats how I worked/tested on my 64x set)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2014, 09:35:55 am »

DawnFortress, the tileset, the colorscheme and the dwarf sprites are now officially in the launcher of Masterwork DF.

It looks really neat, although the pink magma is a bit odd. Maybe rethink the red a bit?

And are you planning on changing the accented characters, or do you focus on the rest of the creature sprites for now? I just ask because I have to change a lot if this tileset gets a unique sets of raws. The way I understood it is that its based on ASCII, so I could use already existing sets. If that changes, please let me know. :)

PS: You get a very large error log with your graphics.txt, because of the zombie and skeleton entries.

You have to comment these out:
Code: [Select]
Unrecognized Creature Texture Token: ZOMBIE
Unrecognized Creature Texture Token: SKELETON
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:40:00 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »

[snip]
@Taffer

Oh dude, no way! Is a Lord Helix avatar? From Reddit? I'm surprised to find some TwitchPlaysPokemon fans around these parts...But on the other hand, maybe DF fans like TwitchPlaysPokemon because it shares it's chaos with DwarfFortress? :D
[snip]

It is. I'm not certain you could connect Twitch Plays Pokemon and Dwarf Fortress, aside from a sense of chaos. The fanart and community did me in, as I find that most of the time the stream is actually fairly boring.

Keep up the good work with the graphics set! You're a bloody hard worker.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »

DawnFortress, the tileset, the colorscheme and the dwarf sprites are now officially in the launcher of Masterwork DF.
Finally! I've been waiting to be included in Masterwork DF. I'll definitely check that out later. :D Oh, if you have Notepad++ (I assume most programmers do) then fixing those errors is a cinch...

Open the file you want to fix.
Press Ctrl + H then go into the "Mark" tab.
Bookmark all lines containing SKELETON or ZOMBIE.
Go to Search -> Bookmark -> Remove Bookmarked lines.
???
PROFIT!!

OK...and as for your colors, I can see what you mean. I've taken a look at Tahin's stuff, experimented a bit, and decided on a finalized palette:

Dawnbringer (Normal vision) | Dawnbringer (Colorblind)
Dawnbringer (Color-Corrected) | Dawnbringer (Colorblind with color-correction)

This palette would be nigh-unusable for color-blind folks (8% of the population) so I decided to make a first and make DawnFortress colorblind-friendly. Without color correction cyan/magenta, cyan/blue, cyan/gray, green/orange, green/red and magenta/gray are nigh indiscernible. But with daltonization, everything except cyan/gray is fixed. And the color-corrected palette still looks nice, so sharing screenshots will normal-visioned people will still work. Here are the color files:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:28 am »

I havent uploaded it yet, but it works. I will upload the next mod update in around 12h or so, most certainly today. Tomorrow I leave the country, wont be around much for the next 4 months here.

The skeleton/zombie thing I fixed for the dwarf file, I just wanted to let you know that it would probably be best to comment these lines out.

I will update the color scheme you had before with the new one you just posted, and that colorblind thing is amazing and beautiful and you should write both PeridexisErrant for his LNP and (maybe) Toady One, because I think that he would like it. You didnt post it above, so I guess its in the main download now? I will add it to MasterworkDF as well.  :) (Edit: Downloaded the set again, the colorblind scheme is not included. Could you please be so kind to post the text here as well? :) Edit2: Wait, forget it, Daltonized is the colorblind one. I thought its the color corrected one. I got confused a bit, because you showed 4 different schemes graphically, and posted 2 schemes in text form. Ups. Its too early in the morning  ;) Edit3: People that see this post will think that I am crazy. But thats fine.)

I did not add the other creature sprites, because I dont have a system for multiple sprites for differents sets yet. The GUI only changes it for dwarves, which will have to do for this first test, until you have finished all your creatures and/or I have thought about a way to change creature sprites more easily.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:17:01 am by Meph »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress v0.28 [WIP]
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »

Well, it's been a month or two and a combination of schoolwork and too many personal projects has slowed down progress on this tileset. Once I clear up some commissions and spring break rolls around, expect some more frequent updates. So for now, have some mythical creatures. :D

== UPDATE 3/14/14 ==
 - 112 new graphics in creatures_standard.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 04:29:53 am »

@DragonDePlatino: This is progressing nicely, I especially love the new colors.

I found three things that bother me a bit:
1. Slabs: they look like a boulders.

2. Engraved walls: a bit plain, and not different enough from smoothed walls.
3. Engraved floors: too complex, and difficult to read what's happening.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 11:42:14 am »

I found three things that bother me a bit

Hmmm...I've been meaning to fix those for a while. I think the slabs are OK (For me, hills take priority) but the engravings definitely needed to be fixed. Give these a try...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2014, 05:04:30 pm »

Hills take preference over slabs? I guess it depends which mode you play. Adv will see more hills on maps, Fort mode players will see a lot of slabs...

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2014, 09:07:55 pm »

I know its a bit old, but is this still being worked on at all? I like the style.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

I know its a bit old, but is this still being worked on at all? I like the style.

No, DawnFortress is not currently being worked on. Like most pixel artists (and artists in general) I like to start up multiple projects at a time and see how each turns out. I'm not the type to draw for popularity (and I learned that the hard way) but generally if I don't get a lot of feedback on something or I don't see it as important, I'll focus on other projecs. In DawnFortress's downtime, I've finished fun projects like Dig Dug Redug: http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25133.html and Koten, a Zelda 1 tileset: http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=tilesets&id=87. I've also been working on sprites for a fighting game and an unreleased webcomic. It's just, generally on my other projects I feel a lot more motivation. But that doesn't mean this project is dead...for good. It's lying in the grave, ready to leap out any time Summer boredom overtakes me. :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6