1760 px
1680 px
1600 px
1520 px
1440 px
1360 px
1280 px

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DawnFortress v0.28 [Dead]  (Read 54270 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
DawnFortress v0.28 [Dead]
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:26 pm »

DAWNFORTRESS v0.28
16x16 and 32x32 Dwarf Fortress Graphics Set

Download v0.28

WHAT IS THIS?

DawnFortress is a project I have just begun! I will be retexturing every single creature in Dwarf Fortress. This includes child, undead, skeleton, humanoid and giant variations with every possible combination thereof. I will be using sprites from my own roguelike tileset, DawnLike, and creating new ones as necessary. It's not a beautiful graphics set, but it will be a functional one with a high clarity between sprites. When finished, it will also be a nice template for anyone who wants to make a better graphics set. :)

In regard to my sanity and limitations of 16x16 pixel art, only the default and child sprites will be unique. Undead creatures are green with red eyes. Skeletal creatures are undead ones with a skull icon. Giant creatures have a small blue arrow in the upper right and creaturemen are plain humans with swapped heads.

I already have all of the graphics files typed out, so all that remains is to type in the tileset coordinates and make the sprite sheets themselves! I would say this graphics set is about...28% done. I will also be retexturing all of the non-creature graphics in an effort to attract potential mod makers...I mean, a guy can dream...right?

SCREENSHOTS

Mishthemstukos, a fledgling fortress.

CREDITS
DawnBringer, for his excellent 16-color palette.
Derek Yu, for his pixel art tutorial I read all those years ago.
Hyllian, for his very useful 4xBrh algorithm I used to make the 32x32 version of this graphics set.

UPDATES

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:31:51 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress Graphics Help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »

Did you turn graphics to YES in the init.txt file in df/data/init folder?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »

Diggin your DawnLike art, reminds me of Shining Force and all the old Sega Games that had beautiful art.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:46:13 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:47:17 pm »

Did you turn graphics to YES in the init.txt file in df/data/init folder?
Thanks! I went ahead and edited my init.txt but it still didn't work. I then experimented and it turns out I had to change "test.txt" to "graphics_test.txt" and add "graphics_test" to the top line. Worked nicely but I still have two problems...Whenever my dog dies, it leaves behind a lowercase d. Is it possible to mod deceased (not animated) creature graphics? Something like...

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DOG]
  [DEAD:TEST:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

Also, I still can't get my shield to work. It keeps showing up as a "[". I'm pretty sure at this point that DF won't let you mod deceased creatures and items, which is a shame. Any modmakers want to take up this challenge?
Diggin your DwanLike art, reminds me of Shining Force and all the old Sega Games that had beautiful art.
Hey! Thanks a lot. I've worked mighty hard on this tileset. :D

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »

When a creature dies in DF it's corpse tile reverts to it's CREATURE_TILE or CASTE_TILE which those take from the standard 16 rows x 16 columns(0-255) ASCII set in data/art

And items we cannot yet place custom sprites on those yet, saddly. Altho some of the current graphics packs around here make the tileset have generic but close to what that item and others will be (like phoebus has it as a pile of armor and such to so that all armor, shields pop up like that)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »

First of all: Awesome to see a real artist try his hand on new content here. :)

First you must understand that graphics and tilesets are different. Only creatures use sprites. You have spriters for adult creatures, child creatures, baby creatures and undead creatures. Also special sprites for war-trained and hunting-trained ones. Thats it.

If you make sprites for intelligent creatures, that are part of a civilization, the sprites work by profession. So you have mason, miner, swordsdwarf, and so forth. Nobles also get special sprites.

What you cant do, is that shield of yours. Shields are items of the type SHIELD. Sounds silly, but thats how it is. Like a "large serrated disc" is a item of the type TRAPCOMP. They use a tile from the tileset, which is hardcoded. You can change how the tile looks, but you cant change their tilenumber. Only a few things allow this, like grasses, plants, trees and inorganics. Items like furniture, armor, weapons, etc are hardcoded.

A big problem is that Toady One mapped many graphics into a single tile. For example the tile that is used for BLOCKS is also the tree-top, when seen from a zlevel above. Or broken ammo uses the same tile as ASH. Or shields, armors, traousers, shirts, pants, gloves and helmets all share the same equipment-tile.

This means that making a tileset is a lot harder than "just" designed the actual graphics. It also has transparency, and foreground/background color that you can do tricks with. I for example use letters for vermin. GREY/BLACK looks like a grey letter on black background, but BLACK/GREEN looks like a green snake on black background. This works by using grey for the letter, a solid black for the background and a 100% transparent snake painted around the letter.

The best utility to test how this looks ingame is workshop draw, which can load different tilesets and show colors.

I was working on a 64x64 or 48x48 tileset that has been abandoned for now (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123604.0) and I made the MDF tileset, the default tileset for the Masterwork mod.

If you want to do a tileset, I would be so happy with a 48x48 one. I would help as much as I can, and add a lot of creature sprites. Roses just brought that topic up 2 days ago... guess there is some interest for it.

EDIT: I know this a bit incoherent. ^^ Anyway, the tilesets are in data/art, in case you didnt knew this. The wiki has some great pages about it,, like this one http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tilesets

Colorschemes also play a role. The resident expert is Vherid. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:22:02 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »

What you cant do, is that shield of yours. Shields are items of the type SHIELD. Sounds silly, but thats how it is. Like a "large serrated disc" is a item of the type TRAPCOMP. They use a tile from the tileset, which is hardcoded. You can change how the tile looks, but you cant change their tilenumber. Only a few things allow this, like grasses, plants, trees and inorganics. Items like furniture, armor, weapons, etc are hardcoded.
Awww...I knew items were hardcoded but the way you put it, it really seems like it wouldn't even be possible to mod. Oh well...For now I won't be doing this graphics set but I'll keep this thread open in case any talented modders show interest. I mean, animated compasses were hard-coded in older versions of Minecraft but people eventually figured out to hack those.

Also, that's a very nice tileset you have there! Everything goes together very nicely. I would use it, but personally I've never been a fan of shared-graphics tiles. I tried making a tileset that only edits the unshared stuff (i.e. Dimple cups, ladles, armor stands, etc.) but I ended up only being able to mod about 7 or 8 graphics in total...

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:51:06 pm »

I always wondered what it might be like if someone like eld came in and made a DF tile set or graphics pack and etc, so I'm pretty interested in seeing how this turns out, your dawn stuff is pretty nice.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »

Funny, I just started looking into more sprites for my DF creatures and came across your DawnLike stuff.

With the ability to change certain things on the screen (like lots of what falconne does) it might be possible to check all items on the screen and overlay a separate graphic for them, but I am guessing that it would eat away at your fps like mad if it is possible.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

Funny, I just started looking into more sprites for my DF creatures and came across your DawnLike stuff.

With the ability to change certain things on the screen (like lots of what falconne does) it might be possible to check all items on the screen and overlay a separate graphic for them, but I am guessing that it would eat away at your fps like mad if it is possible.
Hmm...yeah, and with a lot of forts going down to FPS death, it would be quite problematic to have to abandon a graphical client just so you could squeeze a bit more out of your FPS. How much would the FPS decrease, anyways?

But there are some ways this could be fixed. DF already natively supports creature textures, so you wouldn't have to scan over those...just the items and terrain. I think a cool idea would be a separate client like Stonesense with the option to stop updating normal DF window to save FPS. You could even tinker with the client window and change how often it updates like Stonesense, which uses an update speed of 200ms.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:48:08 pm »

Toady's unease regarding the graphics code may lead to him allowing somebody else to update Baughn's work, which was the person working on the graphics. Unlikely, though. lxnt was doing good work with this project, to solve some of these problems. He even indicated a desire to help out with DF code here. The development status quo right now unfortunately seems to be to wait for Baughn to show up and help out again.

Considering that your wonderful tileset for Nethack has had me playing it since you first posted this topic,  I'm hopeful that when hell freezes over DF gets full graphics support, you'll wander back and see what you can do.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:50:43 pm by Taffer »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »

Toady's unease regarding the graphics code may lead to him allowing somebody else to update Baughn's work, which was the person working on the graphics. Unlikely, though. lxnt was doing good work with this project, to solve some of these problems. He even indicated a desire to help out with DF code here. The development status quo right now unfortunately seems to be to wait for Baughn to show up and help out again.

Considering that your wonderful tileset for Nethack has had me playing it since you first posted this topic,  I'm hopeful that when hell freezes over DF gets full graphics support, you'll wander back and see what you can do.
Hi, Taffer! Saw your stuff the other day and your palettes are just great. Very modular!

I think I've decided on what I'm going to do at this point. I'll keep adding tiles to DawnLike until I get everything that Dwarf Fortress needs, and then some. Then, I'll probably go ahead and make a graphics set with the (non-functional) item tiles in place and all it all typed out using the same order as the raw files. If anything comes of this, I'll drop it all into this thread and move on.

Hee hee. Toady accepting help with coding from someone else. How silly. But again, this IS Dwarf Fortress. Hell freezing over isn't as unlikely as it sounds. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:19 am »

I talked with Baughn about it, he wouldnt be awerse to code a new shader (I was mostly thinking about adding TTF to the 2D mode, but what the heck), but he isnt active in the DF board at the moment. So by himself, he will never see that people discuss it, unless someone summons him here. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:28:13 am »

I talked with Baughn about it, he wouldnt be awerse to code a new shader (I was mostly thinking about adding TTF to the 2D mode, but what the heck), but he isnt active in the DF board at the moment. So by himself, he will never see that people discuss it, unless someone summons him here. ;)

A new shader would be incredible, and I honestly think it would help the game's popularity, with no more confusion over tile reuse. I suspect that tiles being reused is a part of the game's learning curve for many people.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DawnFortress v0.104 [WIP]
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:26:54 am »

Updated original post. Yes, this is going to be a thing.

And bloody hell, it took me about 8 hours just to type out all of those files, even with very creative usage of Notepad++! Never could I have imagined the incredible scope of Dwarf Fortress's raw files!

What have I gotten myself into... :o
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:28:31 am by DragonDePlatino »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6