Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Microscope RPG Live - Status Report (9th February 2014) (art included)  (Read 2838 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Hello friends!

Recently I've started to play the excellent Microscope RPG with two of my friends over Skype and boy it's awesome!
I've decided to share our progress with you, in the translated Google doc in the link below. Because we're playing the game in Polish and my English likes to f*ck up from time to time, there might be some slight grammatical mistakes, but it should be at least readable.

Last updated: 9th February 2014

This is the result of one, 3-hour-long game session with 3 people. There's probably a 4th player on the way, which means that much more fun to be had.
For the record, Hitler Toster is me.

I had no idea as to where put this thread, so if you know where I should post it instead, feel free to point me to a more proper subforum. ;D
Got any questions about scenes, characters and other stuff? Feel free to ask!

We've also got some art, made during the sessions as well!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:01:55 am by DarkDXZ »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG Live - Status Report (9th February 2014) (art included)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:21:27 pm »

It should probably be in "Play With Your Buddies", as you're just reporting what happened in your session. I do like the concept behind the RPG as well as your game, but it's very hard to follow along what exactly is going on in the history of the world (and where did the aliens come from anyway?). Good luck in your future sessions though.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:25:29 am »

It should probably be in "Play With Your Buddies", as you're just reporting what happened in your session. I do like the concept behind the RPG as well as your game, but it's very hard to follow along what exactly is going on in the history of the world (and where did the aliens come from anyway?). Good luck in your future sessions though.

The thing is that we ourselves don't know how the aliens came to be.
And that's one of Microscope's strong sides.

And well, our history is a bit chaotic, but should become a bit easier to follow as we flesh it out, but essentially...
Dwarves invented the steam technology (and weaponize it), which eventually pisses off the mages and starts a war between the two, but then multiple alien civilizations come to the table (3 right now), and the mages try to ally with them (of course neither the mages nor the aliens are very unified) and wage war against the Technics (ie. what the pro-technology people seem to be called in the War With the Aliens), which eventually leads to the Great Steam-Magic War, which is the end period.

Anyway...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:46 am »

Last updated: 9th February 2014
Hurm... What am I looking at again?
Recently I've started to play the excellent Microscope RPG with two of my friends over Skype and boy it's awesome!
I guess I should ask you to explain what this Microscope RPG does.

edit: ...also, should preview posts before making them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:51:23 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

I am so confused...
I LOST THE GAME

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »

The same guy who wrote Microscope has a new game called Kingdom http://www.lamemage.com/kingdom/  which would be pretty well suited to doing a Dwarf Fortress game.

While Microscope is a collaborative world creating exercise, Kingdom is more of a... well... Kingdom simulator, I guess.  The kingdom could be Downton Abbey, a space ship, a nation, a cult, or anything really. The players are key power figgures within it, and they either cooperate or compete to steer the course of the kingdom.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:15:52 am »

Well, sorry about not explaining anything.
Let me give you a quick run-down of what you're looking at.

The Info page has the player list, the current Lens (the player that chooses the Focus), current Focus (ie. the thing that all things created during this round have to connect to in some way), palette (things that we can and can't use), our Legacies (ie. the things that one can create events connected to after the round), and past focuses, as well as the characters used in scenes.

The sheets at the bottom (excluding Info) represent our current time periods/ages/whatever. They can last anywhere between decades (War With the Aliens) and centuries (The Development of Steam Technology? We haven't discussed how much those last.) Normally they would be dark/light depending on their tone, but we had to skip that aspect.

Within the periods, you have events, which are either light or dark colored depending on their tone (a creation of something would be a light event while an assassination of an important figure would be a dark one).
The events can also have Scenes associated with them, and with a few exceptions (Dictated Scenes) we've roleplayed all of them. The format for those is |QUESTION|LOCATION|ANSWER| (for instance, Are the mechs ready?|Laboratory/Workshop|They'll be ready in time., referring to the scene in the "Development of the mechs" event).

The rdyX sheets are just templates for in-case someone makes a new period so that we don't have to add the tables & whatever.

Sorry if this sounds confusing to you, but the bottom two pages of this have a quickstart guide.

Also, tomorrow I'll be running a different Microscope game (this is technically run by one of my friends rather than me, I'm just reporting the information here), set in the Awesomenauts universe. So expect French lizards fighting in a giant trading center space stations and stuff like that. Read more here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:21:19 am by DarkDXZ »