Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Spellbreakers! RtD. What shall we do with this story?  (Read 12495 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Spellbreakers! RtD. What shall we do with this story?
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

The Kingdom of Varian had a multitude of venerable traditions - weird handstand folk dances. A delicious apple-butter pastry. The Magical Decathlon, staging ground of the rivalry between the four major academies of the mystic arts in Varian. And, last but not least, waging war on its neighbours, the Duchy of Celavar to the west and the Holy See of Grambaton to the north. This had become just as much a fact of life as the delicious apple-butter pastries, serving in the army had become the rite of passage of the youth of Varian. Of course, land was won and lost, but at no point in history either side made gains major enough to upset the delicate balance of this war. This could have gone on forever, except that the economy tends to suffer in times of war - fields fall into disrepair, famines course through the common folk... banditry starts to crop up at every crossroad, and spread like wildfire. Faced with complete economic annihilation, the newly ascended Falx Varian III. negoitated for a ceasefire in exchange for minor cessations and put all that remained in his coffers into a bounty system, to encourage the extermination of banditry.

It worked well - the problem was that it worked too well. Lured by the promises of riches and nobility, mercenaries of might and magic, fortune seekers and vagrant adventurers from the entire known world descended upon Varian, drove out the hordes of brigands
and then wouldn't leave. First they fought over the right to extinguish the endangered species known as banditus vulgaris, then they saw the business opportunities the bandits once saw - and took their place. In some places, they even rose against nobility, aiming to seize power for themselves - in a form of cosmic irony, some of those nobles were only recently elevated accomplished bandit killers themselves. In short, the entire Kingdom was in a mess that went hot real fast after King Falx fell victim to a magic-using assassin and the infamous Demon Sorceress of Destruction conquered the prosperous port city of Magnadine almost single-handedly.
The successor to Varian's throne, King Blok Varian I., restored rudimentary order with an iron fist, taking the chance to seize some war funds, before launching a grand campaign to reclaim Magnadine. A great host of warriors is currently being assembled in the south along the coast, composed of Varian's nobles and their valorous knights, the finest wizards of the four academies, a massive militia of peasants and conscripted criminals... and an horde of mercenaries, former rogues and innocent adventurers, lured once again by the pay or, maybe even more important, amnesty. Blok isn't too kind with criminals.

You are one of these valiant men and women, currently boarding a ship to the south, in pursuit of glory! Or maybe booty! Whatever floats your boat!

Right. This might have a chance not to die horribly during the first four turns, I'm actually pretty pumped up. To increase the chances of survival, I'll only take the four best sheets. Knowing me, this game will not be entirely serious. I'll try not to pull my punches this time around, though.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheet guidelines (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: About Magic (click to show/hide)

Since this might have been rather confusing, here's an example sheet to help remove any moment of clarity you might have had.

Alright, let's get this on! Won't start until thursday, once exams are over, but feel free to ask questions if you have some and are interested.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:01:16 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbreakers! RtD
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:06:46 am »

Any race, or just the traditional ones?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:20:46 am »

Awww yeah.

On the other hand, it does make me sad to lose Maka, but I don't think I want to recreate her for this.

As for questions: I see nothing about leveling or the like. Will it be possible to increase attributes and/or skills, and if so how might that work?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:43 am »

Alright Errol, I'm sighing up for this. :I
Wow I miss my old character. >_> Anyways.
RESERVE THIS.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:29:53 am »

Edit: whoops, did it later.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:15:29 pm by lawastooshort »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:07 am »

Any race, or just the traditional ones?

Any race that could vaguely belong in ye olde heroic fantasy, plus more. Ancient robots built by a lost civilization? Dragons in human form? Flaming gay incubus? Small plush animal? Give me a good character around things like that and you're in, though if your race is strong then that's gonna cost you somewhere else on the character sheet.

Awww yeah.

On the other hand, it does make me sad to lose Maka, but I don't think I want to recreate her for this.

As for questions: I see nothing about leveling or the like. Will it be possible to increase attributes and/or skills, and if so how might that work?

Leveling's supposed to be hard. The main way will be training or skill books, and that's gonna cost a pretty penny or a few favors. Leveling on the battlefield is a big 'maybe', but if you exceed your limitations consistently that might happen too.
You might gain perks for particularily remarkable actions, so watch out for that.
For your attributes, you'll probably be better off finding magic items to boost that the other way.

---

I'M SORRY, EVERYONE :'( But I wanna try this for now.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:15 am »

Name:Mark Parur Age: 24 Gender:M Race: Half Dragon Human

Description: Mark has red scales that cover his body all the over going down to his clawed legs with his eyes having pupils slit like a cat. His teeth are sharper and longer with a jaw that sticks out and scaly shrunken ears with frills. He has a tail he normally hides with a cape and some wing stubs (way too small to fly) He has a scar below his eye from a close shave in a fight with a Spellsword (swordsman with magic) with another scar just to the left of his heart (where the heart would be on a %100 human) from a sniper who never showed his face.

Bio:Mark is the result of a very successful dragon not caring what race a beautiful woman was. He probably has a bunch of half Brothers and Sisters but he wouldn't know as his father never really was around and some adventurers killed him later in life because he was there and must be evil because he was a Dragon.
He joined the Guard of his town so he could have an excuse to learn to defend himself, and hide his nature from strangers without suspicion. He also joined so that he could have some people he could relate to in terms of interests. His town was later attacked by 'Mercenary's' where he received his two big scars one to the face the other to the chest. Having blacked out after being shot he woke up in a monastery bed where he learned his town was gone with no survivors. He stayed at the monastery for a while learning healing magic but the desire to make the murderers of his town pay for their crimes, got him to leave.

He now wishes revenge for his friends in the guard and his mother who had loved him despite his difference's.

Attributes: Physique:4 Stamina:4 Willpower: 3 Finesse: 3 Swiftness: 2 Affinity: 2 Wit: 2 Charisma: 1

Skills: Pole-arm weapons (Outstanding)  White magic [healing] (Decent) Searching (Remarkable)

Perks: Fire breath: As a half dragon Mark can breath fire, unlike a full dragon he can only do this a few times a day(=to stamina)
Hard Scales: not as strong as a full-blood but every bit helps, Acts as extra natural armor
Fire immune: Mark doesn't feel the heat and enjoys sitting in fire like a hot bath
Heavy Armor Skilled

Drawbacks
Dragonic: Non modified helmets and chest-plates are uncomfortable and might not fit at all
Cold blooded: Cold (magic or environment) hurts mark a lot

Equipment and Inventory: Halberd; Full body guard armor modified for his use has some repairs since the attack on his home town still has the old icons of his home and hides his nature from casual viewers 

(Spells:) Heal; Cure posion; Shield; Seal magic; Featherfall;

This good
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:47:11 pm by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:17:29 am »

How useful will Physique be to something without arms or the ability to hold weapons?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:18:08 am »

Reserved, will make sheet later today.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:29 am »

INCOMING

Name, Age, Gender, Race: Conra Harrac, 24, Female Dracotaur
Description: Racial~Large reptilian beings-average ten feet long from tail to snout, and over six feet tall, Dracotaurs are akin to heavyset, quadrupedal lizard-men. They are covered in tough scales and bony spikes, armed with sharp teeth and claws-their tails are also covered in spines or bony knobs, and capable of being brought to bear in a fight. They have five fingers on each hand, and four large, bony toes on each of their four feet.

Personal~Conra is a bit shorter and lighter than most of her people-only 6.5, and hardly 1500 pds. She has dark green scales interspersed with light brown-white stripes along the entire length of her body. Her eyes are deep, ocean blue-and her claws a shade of deep purple. Her belly is almost entirely a creamy white, soft and unarmored due to her young age. Otherwise she is fairly well muscled and pretty, for her species, without any obvious human dominant traits. Preferring human style garb, at least on her upper body, she usually prefers fashionable vests and chainmails that compliment her skin tone, and large brimmed hats for style-though all her head and bodywear had been modified to make room for the slightly translucent green frill that runs from the top of her head to the tip of her tail, which is shaped almost like a round, spiked mace. Various painted tattoos in bright gold adorn her body, many related to the element of fire, or the sun.

Her lower body is covered in somewhat more piecemeal armor, which looks cobbled together from other, more humanoid leggings.

Bio: Conra is only truly a visitor to the lands of Varian-hailing from another plane entirely, the Lands of the Feywold. A strange world where the seasons exist all in a single time, and constantly vie with another for supremacy-a world where the balance affects many others, like the spindle of a top, even the world Varian stands upon. The courts of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter wax and wane, becoming stronger or weaker as time goes by-but no side has ever gained enough of an advantage to prove superior. The rampant energy of Spring might overcome the courage of Summer-but Summer will always prevail over Autumns stoic defenses...and Autumn can withstand the worst of Winters fury...and so on.

Given her position as an ordained Knight of Summer, though a young one, Conra herself might have been expecting a comfortable life of battle in the service of balance, but recent events have shaken the Feywold...the theft of an important artifact from one of Winters own temples, the Spike of Feynerial, has thrown the tender balance askew-by mortals, no less! Now the Forces of Spring have taken dominance-the element which, usually opposed by Winter, has the advantage over Summer.

In short, A desperate search has begun-the Spike must be found and returned to the court of Winter, before the balance of seasons is lost forever...And so, many warriors such as Conra have been sent-almost exiled-from their homes until they find it. Thus she finds herself, on a boat, heading the Kingdom of Varian-where omens have been told may hold a clue to the artifacts location. She knows the other courts have also sent agents to this land...but, one still has to eat however, and in lieu of utter disaster, has found the mortal lands to be quite interesting in themselves, a source of adventure beyond the scope of her ultimate mission.

Attributes:
Physique 3
Stamina 3
Willpower 2
Finesse 1
Swiftness 2
Affinity 4
Wit 4
Charisma 2

Skills:
Elemental Magic/Fire(Specialized): Rank 2 [5 pts]
Claw Fighting (Trained): Rank 3 [5 pts]
Magical Item Appraisal (Trained, needs better name):Rank 2 [3 pts]

Perks:
Positive~
Summer's Boon: Conra is a knight of summer, and has the advantage of courage and boldness-a sure weapon against the Knights of Autumn and their kind, whose powers and abilities are related to the Alchemic school of magic-enchantment and illusion.
Claws and Teeth: Dracotaurs have all the weapons they ever need ready at all times.
Tough Scales: Descended from Dragons, her race is known to have a tough reptilian hide, good as any armor.
Improved Parrying (2skp): Dracotaurs are not as nimble as many other races, unable to avoid damage as easily, and learn to deflect blows to a far more skillfull degree because of it, using armguards, shields and their natural armored hides.

Negative~
Summer's Bane: For everything in balance. The Knights of Spring and those creatures related to that sphere, usually armed with the strongest of white magics, will always have the advantage of her and her kind.
Cant fit through doors: There are disadvantages to being large. Being forced into a cramped space will seriously ruin any attempt at a stylish entrance. She's also a giant four legged lizard, and it is not easy to find a tailor who can easily accommodate her body style.

Equipment and Inventory:
Summer's Claw Gauntlets/Made of naturally grown Feywold Green Steel, these devices are common to Dracotaur warriors-enabling them to sheath their claws when in peace, and trade and parry blows when forced into battle. As an elementally aligned weapon, it is stronger and weaker against certain beings, and at different times of day, or certain places.
Cobbled Chainmail/Unable to bring armor from her homeland (summoning spells from her world have strict weight limits), Conra has been forced to buy or scavenge armor piecemeal and attach to various parts of her body, most of which is centered on the lower body.
Feywold Draught/A small decanter of clear liquid in a that contains a days nutrition and hydration in a single swallow, and had minor healing effects-it's almost empty, however, the gourd slowly drying out and dying.
Eye of Summer/A small blue crystal pendant worn around Conras neck, it allows her to communicate with her homeworld or back, though hardly longer than a few minutes and only once a day-the very peak of noon, on a clear, sunny day. It's usually restricted to official court business, but she occasionally uses it to speak with friends.

(Spells:)

I know it's rough :P If this works, let me have some feedback. I'm sure it can improved greatly.

Edit: Shit, I got competition by KHH in the Dragonman arena. :O
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:30:40 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:00 am »

Interested, although this might be one of those things I make half a character sheet for and then don't get around to completing ever and then the game starts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 10:48:28 am »

Spoiler: The Real Slim Shady (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:32:12 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:25 am »

Spoiler: Am Rock. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:54:47 pm by Remuthra »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:03:49 am »

How useful will Physique be to something without arms or the ability to hold weapons?

Will still be needed for anything that requires strength. And tanking hits with your face. If your character is engineered to entirely ignore that, you're going to get like 2~3 attribute points deducted.

...looking at the sheets so far, I have realized something in need of clarification. Since skill levels only affect the difficulty of actions, If your skill isn't something you can do as a main action, chances are, it's better off as a perk. This is adressed at Mark's Heavy Armor and Conra's Parrying - Heavy Armor is just something I don't think that'll ever come up as a skill, and Parrying is, in my opinion, already implied in Claw Fighting so it's only a specialization at best, not a full skill. And that's better off as a perk.

So, results of that:
* Heavy Armor becomes a perk, costing 2 skill points. It'd eliminate the mobility/stamina penalties you'd normally get for fighting in heavy armor.
* Parrying becomes a perk, also for 2 skill points, and, uh, it'll improve parries in some way. That'd be needed, since by default parrying is something done with Finesse.

This also means you both have a few more points to spend. Especially since Dwarmin seems to have misunderstood the skill points... 5 points for White is on the money for a Specialized skill: -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 makes for 5 levelups in total. However, Claw Fighting would go 0, 1, 2, 3 with LV 3 costing two points, so you're at one point too many. Post-perkification of Parrying, your skill distribution looks something like this:

White Magic: 5 Points
Claw Fighting: 5 Points
Parrying (perk): 2 Points

That's three free points to spend. I'm assuming you have no natural attunement to the White Magic of Summer - if for some magical dracotaur reason you had, that'd be two points extra on top of this.

I'll do the same for Mark - for him it's 2 points for Heavy Armor, 4 points in White Magic, 5 points in Polearms, so you still have 4 points to spend. Also, you have one spell too many... wait, I screwed up with the example character. :P White Magic on her is supposed to be Capable, not Decent. So that's totally my fault.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:03 am »

PTA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12