Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Spellbreakers! RtD. What shall we do with this story?  (Read 12483 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbreakers! RtD
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:44 am »

Okay. Time for some more sheetplay!

BFEL - I wanted to say something about the zero physique, but not being able to manipulate anything at all is actually enough of a penalty, so I don't have to shoot down something there. Flat stat bonuses for belonging to a race are a bit, well, eeh, though. Combine that with not making a strong case for 6 in Charisma, and you've got a GM request to turn down the charisma by 1. Sheet is fine otherwise.

As for Spiritualism - well, it's the art of doing stuff with spirits and the spirit of human beings. The darkest aspect of it would be necromancy and things that tamper with the soul. I believe a thief would be most interested in mind-affecting magic, which is also part of Spiritualism as a whole, but I can't really give you a prefabricated list of spells, only ideas.
The other parts of Shamanistic Magic are using the power of spirits to throw around fireballs or something, straight up summoning spirits to do your bidding and, well, that's pretty much it.

The rock is looking good, but maybe that's just being too lazy to add up skill points. Everyone please do that for themselves.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:45 am »

Okay. Time for some more sheetplay!

BFEL - I wanted to say something about the zero physique, but not being able to manipulate anything at all is actually enough of a penalty, so I don't have to shoot down something there. Flat stat bonuses for belonging to a race are a bit, well, eeh, though. Combine that with not making a strong case for 6 in Charisma, and you've got a GM request to turn down the charisma by 1. Sheet is fine otherwise.

As for Spiritualism - well, it's the art of doing stuff with spirits and the spirit of human beings. The darkest aspect of it would be necromancy and things that tamper with the soul. I believe a thief would be most interested in mind-affecting magic, which is also part of Spiritualism as a whole, but I can't really give you a prefabricated list of spells, only ideas.
The other parts of Shamanistic Magic are using the power of spirits to throw around fireballs or something, straight up summoning spirits to do your bidding and, well, that's pretty much it.

The rock is looking good, but maybe that's just being too lazy to add up skill points. Everyone please do that for themselves.
Ok, Charisma is now 5. Is that still enough to steal an enemies sword and sell it back to him? :P
Actually that leads to something else, would Slim still have enough physical presence to wear his trenchcoat? Or should we assume its enchanted to be wearable by him? Also would Slim be able to manipulate objects (i.e. steal things) with the application of a will roll or somesuch, or should I come up with a spell to do that?

Edit: Also, that brings up another question: How many spells would it make sense for Slim to know?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:41 am »

If I counted correctly, it should be 14 skill points, counting magic as a -1 and the natural weapons as a 1 base.

What are the rules regarding spells? There seems from the example sheet to be some system for creating them I'm unaware of.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:45 am »

If I counted correctly, it should be 14 skill points, counting magic as a -1 and the natural weapons as a 1 base.

What are the rules regarding spells? There seems from the example sheet to be some system for creating them I'm unaware of.
From the example it seems to be "MAKE SHIT UP AND CONTINUE MAKING SHIT UP" which is why I wanted GM help on that. I mean yeah the stuff you're making up seems to need to stay within the bounds of whatever magic type you specialize in, but there don't seem to be solid rules on that either.
Magic so far seems to be "Make up specialization, then make up shit within specialization" which just seems SOOO abusable.

Indeed, I do this.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

The rule for spells is that I basically made them up as I went. Spell level is basically how difficult the spell is to cast, and if your spell level and magic skill level match that means you're just about good enough to reliably use that spell.

If you want a power guideline, I'll try now, using a fiery explosive orb of doom spell as example.

Level -1: A flickering flame that quickly goes out. Mostly used in magic training.
Level 0: A small streak of fire, hot enough to cause some burns.
Level 1: A miniature orb of fire that can set one target alight.
Level 2: An orb of fire about the size of a grown man's palm that explodes in a heatwave and sparks, setting targets in a small area of effect on fire.
Level 3: A head-sized fireball that explodes in a shower of fire, burning targets close to its impact alive and setting everyone in a large radius on fire.
Level 4: A watermelon-sized fireball that erupts in a flaming inferno on impact. Unwise use of this spell results in wildfires.
Level 5: A spread of fireballs that rains upon target area, capable of scattering an entire company.
Level 6: A great pillar of fire, incinerating everything that's unlucky enough to be caught within. The heat it radiates is enough to cause people to feint if they remain too close for too long.
Level 7: A massive fiery explosion that can be seen from miles away. It is advised to not cast this spell anywhere close to you.
Level 8: A beam of liquid fire, vaporizing all it comes across, erupting in an horrible all-consuming explosion, shining as brightly and burning as torridly as a star descended to earth. A spell that can destroy an entire city, leaving only a great crater littered with burning ruins and the smell of horrible fiery death where nothing will grow for ten years.

With this scale in mind I'll be adjusting some of the example spells.

---

Nah, BFEL. The modus operandi is 'MAKE SHIT UP AND THEN HAVE THE GM LOOK OVER IT AND ADJUST AS NECESSARY'. It's your character. You gotta have some idea what you want him to do, and then I tell you whether stuff can fly, and where adjustments are necessary.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 12:05:49 pm »

So should I make a "limited corporeality" spell or is that unnecessary for stuff stealing?

Indeed, I do this.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:53 pm »

Why are you asking me that question? It's your character.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
I'l ask a few questions before I finish the sheet. Does it look good enough, and do I put spells under skills or perks?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:33:33 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:48:30 pm »

Spells go in their own tab, the Spells tab.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »

Firstly:Sheet done.

Name Alessa S. Spera, Age 19, Gender F, Race: Human
Description: Alessa, going by her favored name 'Aea', stands at the height of 5'4". She has a lightly tanned complexion, coupled with dark black hair and deep brown irises. She has a lean figure, though with a firm muscle tone and no lack in grace or regality, bearing the semblance of youth and energy in her figure. Given her body frame, she is sometimes mistaken for a male.

- Clothing: Aea wears a simple set of clothing: a forest green shirt and dark-blue pants all covered by a fine, silk-like, and sky-hued silver cloak and a pair of high boots, complete with a small discreet strap for carrying a dagger. A satchel hangs by her right side, and her left hand is covered by an auburn, leather fingerless glove-stretching until the wrist, forming a bracelet with no significant mark or decor.

Spoiler: Bio/Profession (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Attributes
Physique - 2         
Stamina - 1               
Willpower - 3                 
Finesse - 2
Swiftness - 2                   
Affinity - 4                   
Wit - 4
Charisma - 3               

Skills:
 - Thaumaturgist (Specialized [8]) [Outstanding]
 - Anatomist (Specialized [6]) [Remarkable]
 - Cook (Mundane [1]) [Mediocre]

Perks:
 + Affinity for the Arts :: Effects and Control of 'Magic' is more focused, and that under her knowledge has a tendency to dissipate upon failure instead of unleash harmful effects, and increasing potency of any benefit therein.
 + Critical Thinking/Intuitive :: The surroundings are more vivid to Alessa; her awareness is keen and sharp and she notices many things out of the ordinary--a double-sided sword when this also extends to senses and other perceptions.
 + Spellward :: Any spell not under her knowledge has a lessened or hindered effect upon failure, if detrimental. Alessa is more resistant to malevolent 'magic', whether it be environmental or as an infliction from others.
 + Improviser :: Feats with 'magic' or other indirect manipulation such as transmutation or the shift of an object's material-when used in unorthodox methods-have a much greater chance of succeeding.
 - Pacifist :: Alessa cannot wield any other weapon than her dagger. Physical shields bigger and heavier than a buckler or any other sort of blocking or parrying device which does not directly work as a weapon may be used, though at a detriment to the user. Also carries a -1 detriment to any combat rolls when her use of 'magic' is stopped.
 - Teamworker :: When outnumbered, alone and fatigued and in anyway unable to use 'magic', take a 1/d6 chance to fall immediately to persuasion/Charisma check with a -1 modifier or fail any attack performed.
 - Haunting Past :: This character is more of a quiet-hearted person at times, and does not respond well to any intimidation or goading, when forced to act against the speaker. She will act against any details which are completely out of turn from the current scenario or event, cannot perform well under heavy pressure, and usually isolates herself from others on occasion-depending on the situation.

Equipment and Inventory:
 - Steel Dagger :: Hidden in Alessa's right boot is a conveniently sharpened dagger, with a dual utility of protection and general use.
 - Ward's Guard :: The so called term for a spellward's personal possession in the manipulation of the Arts (or magic, as the other lands call them)--this pertains to the 'gauntlet' worn on Alessa's left hand. It bears no mark, sign or sigil of any sort-yet looks unblemished and purely weatherproof, fireproof and waterproof. It feels rough to the touch and yet as warm as the person wearing it. It acts as a reactant between the user and the field of magic, to the will and to the wielder.
 - Spellwarden Cloak and Garb :: Customized for every Ward of the lands are their own special clothing and garments-handmade by their sodality and order-and built for a balance of durability, protection and warmth. While light garments are the usual make, the common garb usually extends to an underweave of different textiles and a network of minute fibers-made to last.
 - Flatbread loaves :: Aea's favorite trail food, her palate usually goes for what most see as 'simple' and 'bland'-foods requiring sauces and the like to taste 'better'. These loaves have been cooked for posterity, and packed for an indefinite shelflife.
 - Waterskin :: Made from the toughest hides overseas, this waterskin carries more than its weight in water by keeping it potable and fresh even after long hours or days in a journey. It may also be used as a container for liquids, as a pot over a fire if need be-to decant, boil or filter.
 - Nascent pot :: Less of a pot and more of a multipurpose container (complete with cooking utilities like a rod and spoon), this ambiguously named device set satisfies the duties that any cook would need in the field. It is a small and compact set.
 - Gilded firestriker :: More focused on the mundane purpose of the creation of fire, this object acts just as its name implies, though the gold trim is somewhat out of place.

(Spells [11/11?]:)
- Illumination [5, White Magic]
- Sensitivity/Awareness [6, Alchemic Magic]

Nextly: I'm going to kill you, Errol, for that joke in Charisma. :I

Lastly: Query--as you can see in my sheet (oh wow I feel like a show off. xD) the SKills and Perks are left blank. Are those categories truly subjective to the writer?

And may I be the one to take care of my spells? :3

Finally: Caellath, I am totally stealing your sheet-format. You are awesome.

Places left blank due to questions:
> Skills/ Perks/ Spells

Edit: Unsure about the...spells. Adjusted to fit skill by (3+points invested in skill)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:34:54 pm by Tiruin »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 01:25:08 pm »

Why are you asking me that question? It's your character.
Because you are the person in charge of the worlds rules? :P
I mean I would prefer for him to be able to grab stuff willy-nilly but I don't think you would allow that given he's a shadow.

Indeed, I do this.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 01:38:39 pm »

Fine, then... you'll get your wish.

Befuddle (LV1 Spiritualism. Mildly confuses targeted person. Can be resisted by focused individuals.), Cloud of Smoke (LV1 Elementalism. Creates a particularily smoky fireball that can be used to cover a getaway.), Levitate Object (LV1 Summoning. Uses the power of an invisible spirit to move objects through the air. The spirit can only move smallish objects, anything above is highly dangerous to MP.), Sap Spirit (LV2 Spiritualism. Saps the strength out of a target over time. This spell requires body contact to execute.)

This good enough?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 01:55:16 pm »

Spells preliminarily completed.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »

Fine, then... you'll get your wish.

Befuddle (LV1 Spiritualism. Mildly confuses targeted person. Can be resisted by focused individuals.), Cloud of Smoke (LV1 Elementalism. Creates a particularily smoky fireball that can be used to cover a getaway.), Levitate Object (LV1 Summoning. Uses the power of an invisible spirit to move objects through the air. The spirit can only move smallish objects, anything above is highly dangerous to MP.), Sap Spirit (LV2 Spiritualism. Saps the strength out of a target over time. This spell requires body contact to execute.)

This good enough?
Those are all good, but will I or will I not be able to grab things normally? Will anything Slim grabs just fall through his hands, or will he have some corporeality when he chooses, and if so, will this require rolls?

Indeed, I do this.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:29 pm »

He will be about as good at lifting things as you'd expect from a zero physique Shadow. Which is to say, he has to greatly exert himself to just lift a full bottle of water. Without the coat, he'd be completely screwed.

With that in mind, the telekinesis spell should probably be something that helps him lift heavier stuff, instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12