Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sweltercrushed, the Crowded Furnace of Packing {Masterwork}  (Read 2022 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Sweltercrushed, the Crowded Furnace of Packing {Masterwork}
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:32 am »

Welcome to Sweltercrushed, the Crowded Furnace of Packing.  There's not a lot of room here, and what there is tends to be rather warm.  It's a single-tile embark that's mostly occupied by magma.

It's okay here, but you'd better not mind your neighbors, and you probably don't want a sense of smell.

Try to write it in-character if you're an overseer.  I came up with one explanation as far as why the dwarves will pack themselves in so tightly, but feel free to take it off the rails. 

Dwarfed:
1.  Talanic
2.  Kamikazi - marksdwarf / hunter.  Thought he'd start with a crossbow if hunting was his highest skill, got it wrong.

Overseers:
1. Talanic
2. Open
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:44:49 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: Most cramped fortress ever. {Masterwork}
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:12 am »

I'd suggest finding a location heavily forested.  You're going to need the wood splitters wood blocks if you intend to do a mostly above ground fort with very little digging.  Just make sure to use obsidian or something besides wood for your bridges.  In the Masterwork community fort Cathedral I watched as the wooden bridges burned and had to quickly wall off access to stop a fort collapse.

Probably should try to grow some iron or steeloak trees as well.  I'll be watching this fort.  Sounds interesting.

If possible maybe I could get a dwarf?  A military or medical dwarf if you embark with one?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:56 am »

Yeah for all invaders, ambushes and megabeasts spawning directly in line of sight. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:54:07 am »

Recommendation: partially drain the volcano and then allow it to refill around the fortress. Enjoy your pressure-cooker!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »

We were promised a mountain of our own.  You could say that we weren't lied to, but Armok, it's a close one.  Technically it's a mountain - a volcanic peak - that's basically on the edge of a hill in the Forest of Organizing.  They call it the Scorned Furnaces.

We didn't know all of this before we threw together all the mugs we could make and bought it.  It's ours, fair and square, so long as we keep up payments.  Square, eh.  Funny, that.  It's square all right - about a hundred paces on a side, and we've got to milk it for all its worth.  See, we had to put the entire place up as collateral in order to buy the things we'll need to live there.  Picks, axes, and the like.  It's not going to be easy and it sure as Armok wasn't cheap.

Clay, sand (albeit inconveniently located at the top of the mountain), wilderness with heavy forest.  There's an aquifer, but the mountain slopes should help us get through it easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neighbors
Dwarves, legion, gnomes, drows and humans are friendly.  No elves for some reason.  Orcs, frost giants, goblins and kobolds for hostile forces.

We've arrived at our new home.  It's gonna be...something, all right.  I'm just not sure what we can make of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our auspicious beginning includes a plague.  Everyone looks pale and sickly, and is spewing vomit everywhere.  I can only hope that we brought this with us and it's not an intrinsic fact of our new home.

Somehow, even the animated iron weapons we brought are pale and sickly.  They just don't look that shiny.  I'm just glad they've not developed a means of vomiting.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:44:27 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:25 pm »

6th Hematite - Early summer.  We've cleared the slopes off of several sections of plateau and pastured the sheep there.  They're pretty disheveled - seems like they were fighting a lot until we got enough space for them.  Hope that clears up.  Also working on a rookery for the cavernkeets.  There's more farming space than expected, but that doesn't mean there's a lot of farming space; we'll need the food.  We've also got a depot area dug out on the lowest open air level - it should create a logical approach for wagons.

7th Hematite - Disaster.  Our building permits won't let us put our depot inside of the planned depot area.  It's going to have to go further inside the fortress.  We've built some doors to keep out invaders, at least.  No migrants yet.  Also have our first crop of plump helmets coming up, and trying to use one plateau for steeloak.  Building permits also won't let us wall those areas off.

6th Malachite - Migrants.  I'm not sure what they're doing here, as this is our claim, but so long as they join up rather than compete - add their own necks to the block, as it were - I'm fine with it.  We got a jeweler who's a member of the Marksman's guild and a stonecrafter who's a member of the Jeweler's guild.  We also got members of the Carpenter's and Alchemist's guilds.  Population 14 now, with seven beds.  We'll work on it.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
Re: Sweltercrushed, the Crowded Furnace of Packing {Masterwork}
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:36 am »

I would like a swords dwarf named Nike. Vey confident and is usually calm but let's out pent up emotions on battlefield
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:53 am »

Been a bit busy and people didn't seem interested, but I can easily bring the save back online tomorrow night.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:57 am »

Well, if you started directly with a plaque, it might even warrant a reclaim.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »

It's just the flu.  No deaths from it, just a bit of...unpleasantness.  Especially in these cramped halls.  There's Armok-knows-what tracked around...best to not think about it and hope everyone gets over it quickly.

We've had our first casualty.  Kamikazi went hunting, and casually shot down a few asp vipers.  Then one fought back.

It was horrible.  It picked him up by the head and shook him around.  I have no idea how.  We're calling the snake Ustorlut.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:58:28 pm by Talanic »