Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Guild Heroes (Suggestion Game)  (Read 5338 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Guild Heroes (Suggestion Game)
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:04 pm »

This is a Suggestion game, as i have been annoyed one too many times by people that claim characters and then NEVER POST AGAIN.

This post and the next will be reserved for things you have learned about the game world.

Even though I originally intended to draw fancy maps, ... i am either not good at that or Dungeon Designer 3 is not the program for me to use.

Everybody is welcome to throw suggestions at our character.

To encourage munchkinning all numbers will be disclosed.

This glossary and your backstory.

Take everything with a grain of salt. You have lived a sheltered life inside the guild academy. Information here might be incomplete and will likely update as you learn more. No metagaming please.

The World

From afar it would look like a huge triangle that has it's sides bent towards the sun. Three stilts come from it's edges, pointing towards the sun. on top of these three pillars hangs a halfcircle shape. The plane "wobbles" therefore there is a time of day and night, when the sun disappears behind this very disc, except for 2 specific months. When the angle to the sun becomes too steep for it to ever appear behind the disc or when the sun is on the sky permanently, taunting the disc by getting nearer to it, then going further away again.

Magic (types)

There are 5 types of magic, White, Blue, Green, Red and Black. Each type of magic is divided into 3 schools.

White Magic (W)

White Magic deals primarily with Virtue, Purity and Light. It is the chosen magic type of Priests and Knights.

Virtue: Offensive and Defensive enhancements.
Purity: Destruction of unnatural Enchantments and artifice. Banishing of Evil.
Light: Especially potent against Black magic creatures. Mostly offensive

Green Magic: (G)

Green Magic is used to strengthen the body, summon creatures and commanding nature. Elves are natural users of green magic.

Nature: From growing Brambles to stop your enemies to animating a whole forest.
Summoning: simple squirrels to mighty Elementals. Not just limited to creatures.
Body: Healing and Toughening of your own body.

Blue Magic: (U)

Blue magic is of the Mind, Artifice and Water. People living near the sea and merfolk practice blue magic.

Mind: from simple manipulations of minds to putting it over matter.
Artifice: creating items of use and mechanical constructs
Water: Ice to steam – you can control it – you can create it.

Red Magic: (R)

Red magic is the magic of Heat, Destruction and Battle. Mountaindwellers and especially Dwarves use this magic.

Heat: Inner heat outer frost. Deals with Temperature.
Destruction: most offensive magic. Think Demolitionist.
Battle: Offensive enhancements of combat proficiency often at the cost of defense.

Black magic: (B)

Black Magic is divided into the schools of Curse, Shadow and Sacrifice. Swampdwellers and Ratfolk practice it.

Curse: Mostly deals with weakening enemies or enchanting items to get stuck on people that touch them.
Shadow: Manipulation and utilization of the ever present darkness.
Sacrifice: Power comes at a price. Sacrifice your health, mana or items for enhanced effects.

The Months

The months depend on the position of the sun, as viewed from the central city.

Sylv   Green magic   Growth    Charming   Alchemy   35 days long
Ydri   White magic   Light   Happy   Tailoring   25 days long
Raka   Red Magic   Fire   Lazy   Smithing   15 days long
Ino   All Magic   Balance   Plain   Lore   5 days long
Lyra   Blue Magic   Ice   Calm   Enchanting   15 days long
Tyrin   Black magic   Darkness   Timid   Medicine   25 days long

((on a sidenote: I'd love to turn this into a table, but sometime last year the buttons in the post window stopped working. While everyday posting does not require them they would be nice to have for a forum game.))
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:40:40 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Heroes (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

Known spells:

Spoiler: Mind: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Artifice: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Water (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle (click to show/hide)

Keywords:
 Mental Damage: this does not stack with normal damage, but unless the target is highly intelligent the mental health is generally less than physical health.
 Confusion: Mental condition. Prevents telling friends from foes.
 Stun: no action can be taken for 1 turn. movement is reduced.
 Provoked: Mental condition. the target deals 1d2 additional physical damage in melee and can't attack at range. Intelligent creatures resist this.
 Hitpoints: how much physical abuse a creature can withstand before dieing. Your average human has 40, your average rat has 4 and your average goblin has 20.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:52:41 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »

Day ?? of ?? - Character Generation.

"Congratulations!" - The last few days of your training went by fast. Here you are now standing in front of the
twilight branch headmaster, holding your certificate of heroism.

"with this you are now formally heroes of Loth. I await great deeds of you. You are to travel
to the borders of the realm, the lands newly liberated from goblins and aid your assigned towns as they grow."

You look at your certificate.

Name:

you remember. Your name was given to you by the previous headmaster himself. He named you after the
month you were found in, on the steps of the guild headquarters, as it was the tradition for orphans.
 Not only that, but the months are closely related to magic, so you were trained in the corresponding schools as well as the mundane arts.

In which month were you found?
(not Ino)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:12:20 pm by hachnslay »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

Lyra

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »

((This sounds somewhat like a mix of Discworld and Magic: The Gathering. That said, this looks promising.))

Lyra
+1
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:17:25 pm »

((This sounds somewhat like a mix of Discworld and Magic: The Gathering. That said, this looks promising.))
Lyra
+1

Games of Mind and Artifice? So "In" on that decision. The "basic" element isn't all that important with these two side-attributes, but these promise fun, mayhem and shenanigans if used right.

Also, agreed on the MTG part. Promising indeed.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:59:26 pm »

Day 2 of Ino

Name: Lyra Fifthfound

The Headmaster told you. You were found in the month of Lyra, therefore named after the month.
Your talent for Blue magic was confirmed by one of the sages.
The fifth child found that month. Not uncommon, as many families struggle to sustain themselves after the
harvest time. As the days grow shorter and the temperatures drop so does the mood of the people.
Yet, unlike the majority of the people born in Lyra you are not too calm.

"Remember that the heroes of the world embody hope as much as..."
The same speech as last month -  every month really. After all new Heroes are sent to the border all the time.
It has been 39 very short years for you. At least you weren't born two months earlier. Being sent out during
Perpetual day and heat is not fun. And what kind of name is Raka anyway?
The sages estimated your birthday to be the 6th of Lyra. Finally you will come of age. And celebrate it with
your first real adventure.

The next line of your Certificate reads:

Assigned town: Rath

Hm. An old town recently retaken in the perpetual war with the goblins. Furthest from the twilight branch,
so the other 2 guild members will surely arive before you.

Of course you are sent there. The terrain around it is your specialty after all. The sages were surprised when
you took up a second school of magic when you were 34. To further your talent you trained in

a bog – Slowly learning to absorb the Black magic around you and channel it more effectively.
a grassy plains – Slowly learning to absorb the White magic around you and channel it more effectively.
Dense forest – Slowly learning to absorb the Green magic around you and channel it more effectively.
Stoney – Slowly learning to absorb the Red magic around you and channel it more effectively.

While you didn't learn the magic as deeply as your first you concentrated on one school ...

Spoiler: certificate (click to show/hide)

((Writing at 1AM is not too easy. More tomorrow. One additional school of magic - this will affect all spells you can learn and have learned. This game will be quite technical in it's own Mechanics. You will remember the "Basics of Magic" class tomorrow :P ))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:09:15 pm by hachnslay »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:24:00 pm »

Green

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

Id go for red

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »

Id go for red
But why fight when we can have an armada of squirrels.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:06 am »

Guys, we have artifice already, we could construct ourselves a mini-gun if we need to destroy things. We can make a sentinel army if we need an army.
Honestly, we can fake almost an magic we could need.
I say go for White. After all, the Purity school of White magic focuses on the destruction of artifice, so if we wield that, we can solidify our hold on our most powerful magics.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:14 am »

I say go for White. After all, the Purity school of White magic focuses on the destruction of artifice, so if we wield that, we can solidify our hold on our most powerful magics.

If that train of thought is true (hachnslay's call) then +1

Else I would vote for Black Magic and the Curse School

Able to weaken our enemies into mind-games that they are bound to loose, or plainly sap their strength so that our artifices suffice. But yeah, the same train of thought. Strengthening what we already know to be good at.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 04:50:28 am »

I see this as one Vote for

Bog and Curse magic

and

Grassy Plains and Purity

since Froggy and Detoxicate both failed to name a >school<.

I am now tempted to give you example spells for each of the schools, but that clashes with your knowledge of magic and would invite metagaming once you start meeting hostile spellcasters...

But here is an exempt of Turnbased Combat.

basically it is based on behavior rules, so i don't go and post a single sentence and wait for you to respond to the new Situation.

Overcast is another mechanic that lets you increase a spells potency by investing more mana.

Given character:

Spoiler: example Character (click to show/hide)

The rules could be:
If any mana reserve falls below 3 drink from the corresponding flask. if you can't return to town.
If your health falls below 20 cast Healing Balm on yourself.
If your enemies are hiding behind obstacles cast Disintegrate on the obstacles.
Should you reach the entrance to the next floor return to town.
If there are ranged fighters cast Lightningbolt on them.
If there are 3 or more enemies around you cast Shockwave.
Cast Fire Arrow II on the nearest enemy or enemy last attacked.

You will have access to more spells than him, though. also: the damage will change as you become better at the magic you chose.

((I really need a better way to make tables than write them by hand ...))

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:06:46 am »

((I really need a better way to make tables than write them by hand ...))
not sure if that helps, but you can put a special symbol (";" is my go to choice) between entries and then just [find and]replace them all with , and fix the border ones. If you think it could help, you could make the table in Calc (99% sure you can use Excel insetad) and save a .csv- that will give you the symbol ("," is default) separated list where you can replace stuff.

Spoiler: workflow example (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:19:32 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:32 am »

I misunderstood but by Green I meant Summoning.
Pages: [1] 2 3