Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!  (Read 17484 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Heretics of Hexland
A game of colonisation for 4-6 players

Hexland, the unsullied continent, lies ripe for the taking. For untold millenia, the Leviathan protected the island from colonisers, until it was slain by the Doge's men. Now heretics from around the globe flock to colonise Hexland.

This was a turn-based colonisation game in a fantasy world. Each player controls a rival expedition from a civilisation of their making. Each expedition is made up of one species that is beholden to a heresy. These civilisations vie for control of Hexland.

Spoiler: Civ Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heresies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

The game takes place over five years, after which the New Age will begin, as all heresies agree. Each year is made up of four seasons (spring, summer, fall, and winter), and each turn takes exactly one season. (So each player gets 20 turns in the game). On your turn you may take as many actions as you have population.

Spoiler: Actions Explained (click to show/hide)

The winner is the player who's civilisation owns the most territory at the end of the game, or whoever's left alive.

In any given round, players take it in turns to act. The turn order is in species+heresy order (human shakers first, chaotic ghosts last; in case of tie, the lower species wins). A player has a number of actions equal to their starting population (if they increase their population during a turn, it doesn't give them more population to use that turn).

Spoiler: Example Action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map and Key (click to show/hide)

1. IronyOwl
2. Scapheap
3. kaian-a-coel
4. a1s
5. Ukrainian Ranger Lidku
6. GreatWyrmGold

Replacements
- [Could be you!]

Turns will be processed at the end of each season. If a player does not submit an action within 36 hours of the last turn, their go may be taken by the mod. If a player is skipped twice in a row, they may be put up for replacement. As a strict turn order is maintained, feel free to edit your season's action if someone earlier in the turn order posts their action after you. Actions are always submitted publicly, but players are allowed to communicate privately if they wish as well as in-thread. Any queries, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:02:34 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 0/6
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:35 am »

Spoiler: Map Spring Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Summer Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Fall Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Winter Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Spring Year 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Summer Year 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Winter Year 5 (click to show/hide)

Players (as of Fall Year 2)
Spoiler: 3. Vorgons - Lidku (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:01:38 am by notquitethere »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 0/6
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:38:04 am »

Interesting.
Spoiler: Empire of Naracinth (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 1/6
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:25 am »

Civilisation Name: The Lilly Kingdom
Colour: green
Heresy: Bountiful
Species : Parakeetkin
Population: 1
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 1/6
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:55 am »

Civilisation Name: The Xiud Collective
Colour: Purple
Heresy: Builder
Species: Antmen
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 2/6
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:11:06 am »

Civilisation Name: East Hexian Company.
Colour: Red
Heresy: Builder
Species: Human
Population: 2
The East Hexian Company is a mercantile organization from the Human Empire sailing under the red banner. The banner contains stylized images of a hammer (symbolizing the building of new settlements) and sickle (symbolizing the reaping of benefits)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:54:51 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 2/6
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:45 am »

Civilisation Name: Arachina
Colour: Blue
Heresy: Aquatic
Species : Ghosts
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Sign-ups 5/6
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:46:14 am »

Spoiler: 6. Wester Colonists (click to show/hide)
Also, is there a way to do a forum-based RTS?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:35 am »

YEAR ONE SPRING

Spoiler: Map Spring Year 1 (click to show/hide)

A new dawn rises on Hexland as the first ship lands, flying the red flag of the ambitious East Hexian Company, a mercantile empire of Human Builders. They sail just ahead of the flagships of the Xuid Collective and the Empire of Naracinth-- antmen and swine nations that share the Builder vision. Trailing behind this Axis of Builders, fly the Bountiful Parakeetkin of the Lilly Kingdom, their winged monarch leading the way to promised bounties. From the West Isles come the Wester Colonists, Trolls venturing forth from their mountain caves to spread chaos in new lands. Deep beneath the ocean something awakes from its sepulchral sleep. From the mouth of the dead Leviathan comes an army of those that were eaten and now serve their killer in death: Arachina, the army of Aquatic Ghosts, marching on the ocean floor to Hexland...

Could everyone please submit their actions for this season, in turn order. a1s where would you like to embark?

The turn order is:
a1s
kaian-a-coel
-Lidku
IronyOwl
scapheap
Ukranian Ranger
GreatWyrmGold

GWG
Real time? It'd be technically possible, if a bit cumbersome. I imagine you could have a game where each person personally updates and uploads a copy of the map with their changes on it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:07:59 pm by notquitethere »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game- 6/6 - Year 1 - Spring
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

does embarking count as an 'expand' or it free and can I claim any province or only a coastal one?
edit: also, does building a city always increase population, or only if you are below the minimum?

I'm going to assume embarking is free, and will choose a location on the east coast for stylistic reasons.

Embark on 90.
Expand 79
Grow.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:17:32 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »

You could probably hack it by having Time Units or some other turn-ish mechanic granular enough to not seem like it, similar to how DF uses HP but in such a way as to not really seem like it uses HP.

If you wanted to be weird you could probably match it to real-time for results somewhere between that and a persistent browser game.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:02 pm »

I would just like to point out that the game is fully deterministic and open information.
The practical effect of this is: you can post your turns without waiting for the GM to process them (though you still need to wait your turn)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 06:13:16 am »

Yes, embarking is free and people can post their turns out of order if there's no way what they're doing can interact. It's kaian-a-coel's turn now and I'll post a map/ population update when I'm next on a real computer.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 06:38:17 am »

I'll disembark on 1 and grow.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:28 am »

Good, good. IronyOwl now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11