Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 188697 times)

Torknick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Twitch plays pokemon!
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:12 pm »

So, right now there are 15000 people playing the same game of pokemon, at the same time through Twitch, here's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

You "play" by typing things like "left" "right" "b" and "a" into the chat and when lots of people type the same thing, the pokemon trainer does it.
It's a pretty cool concept and it's been going on nonstop for 2 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »

Because none of us are as dumb as all of us.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »

It sounds great in concept, but in reality its just a huge cluster fuck of people intentionally trying to prevent progress. Its probably going to hit a brick wall at the safari zone
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:49 pm »

They made it through Mt. Moon. They beat Misty. Heck, I watched live as they caught a Drowsee. I really think these guys might make it!

(Though probably only at night, when there are fewer people playing....)

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLEPOST: There's also http://www.twitch.tv/xkeeper_. This guy's using the "Twitch plays Pokemon" inputs, and is feeding them into Tetris. Honestly, I feel the Tetris game is almost going better... not sure what that says about the quality of the Twitch chat inputs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:19:34 pm by Thexor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »

This is probably what it looks like inside our brains, when we play games and decide on the next action in the millisecond.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »

Turns out someone has made a Gold stream. It's at a much more manageable 100 peoples right now, so try not to spread it around too much.
 http://www.twitch.tv/piapwns
It's FEF, not FEOF

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »

Someone mentioned... there are two evolved Pokemon, a Pidgeotto and a Charmeleon. A single B-button press cancels evolution. How'd the trolls fail to cancel them?

EDIT: Welp, blacked out to the rival on the SS Anne. Turns out that spamming Sand Attack and constantly switching Pokemon isn't a viable strategy, and even consulting the almighty Nugget couldn't save us.
In retrospect, it's a little like watching two AI trainers battle it out, both sides using completely random moves and hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:42:51 pm by Thexor »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »

Maybe counterspammers spam A in advanced just enough to push them out of the way long enough?
It's FEF, not FEOF

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:02 am »

I was watching earlier today when they attempted Misty. It was... bad.... to say the least. I heard the first attempt ended with them repeatedly rubbing their moon stone on the pidgeotto and then trying to run from the trainer fight. The fight I watched proceeded a little more logically. Sand attack ruled the day followed by several tail whips and finally a few actual attacks. Attempts to consult the helix fossil and the nugget proved useless. At some point between the two attempts the moon stone had gotten lost. I feel like that might have been the biggest obstacle in their way with regards to the Misty fight.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:09 am »

I wasn't there, but I heard they tossed the Nugget too. The Nugget survives! The almighty Helix Fossil will remain until the end of time as well!

Interestingly, reanimating the fossil will grant a guaranteed Surf-capable Pokemon. If the chat can make it back to Pewter City with Cut, at least. I still think that's more likely than another successful capture... which at this point would also entail acquiring a few Pokeballs, and probably require a fishing rod as well. Still doesn't help them get the Surf HM, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:03:05 am by Thexor »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 02:05:01 am »

I expect that Twitch will complete the game around the same time a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters finish Shakespeare's plays.

Except that there are more than a thousand people inputting commands, so the monkeys will probably finish first.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:50:31 am »

I wonder that this seems to speak rather ill of a human hivemind. It'd be like all of your limbs having their own mind and trying to move off in different directions. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:18 am »

I think they're trying to actively fuck it over :P

Just went in and holy shit is it a cluster fuck hehe.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:48:28 am »

That's twitch in a nutshell, yep. :P

"pray to the helix fossil" fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:51:10 am by Seriyu »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

I imagine that when thousands of people inhabit the brain of one guy, this is what happens.

And it is hilarious to watch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 180