Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reader count!  Do you read TLCM?  If so, pick your favorite character below!

Misty Kolnazom, the Greatest Cheesemaker Ever!
Reg Pashmad the Recruit
Gruzzlus Holt the Captain
Plumpy the Plump Helmet Man
Kulet Lokunnomel the Nun
Enir Twigappears the Overseer
Darkerdaffodil the Elf
Maynard the Mule
Other
Iron Owl the Iron Knight

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 348

Author Topic: The Littlest Cheesemaker - Updated 12/07/2022  (Read 1776905 times)

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
Re: The Littlest Cheesemaker (Illustrated Interactive Story)
« Reply #1140 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:31 pm »

I always run into moral quandries with death-exposure training: On one hand, dropping cats into the dining room is fun, because, well, cats. On the other hand it's actually efficient.
left eye

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »

The ridiculously over-the-top sadism of the DF community was one of its biggest appeals to me.
You guys warm my heart <3
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 22, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »

True indeed. This game has a massive amount of orange-blue morality; hence why I truly love it.

You can choose to use burrows in creative fashion, combining them with drop-traps, to break the spirits of all migrants and children via exposure to death and decay, leaving them as hollow slaves; I like to think that the part where they don't care any more is about when they begin to rate deaths by gruesomeness.
'That's a 9-8-10 for Urist McMigrant's death, due to that wonderful quadruple-amputation on impact but holding back with that 8 because the head is still attached to the body!'

Or, you can create an idealistic commune where all dwarfs may do all jobs, happiness is imparted en masse by grand rooms, every dwarf family has a multi-room abode, death is unheard of apart from naturally, and the use of the subsequent hordes of miners and masons permits the creation of grand megaprojects.
I have done this many a time, to surprising success; so long as you disable fishing for all, as that shit takes up everyone and nothing gets done.

And the best part?
At the end of the day, after everything, you can still create a doomsday and seal your entire population in obsidian, encased in their beloved legendary dining hall.
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:51 pm »

death is unheard of apart from naturally

Y'know... I don't think I've ever had a dwarf die of "natural" causes, apart from bugged liaisons who arrived older than dwarvenly possible and died instantly.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #1144 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:55 pm »

death is unheard of apart from naturally

Y'know... I don't think I've ever had a dwarf die of "natural" causes, apart from bugged liaisons who arrived older than dwarvenly possible and died instantly.

Battle-axes are natural, right?

Dwarfy

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanted: Dead or with Chives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »

That's true from anything apart from the newest edition; used to be that dwarfs just didn't age to death in fort mode, at least without mods.
Now, though, Toady has implemented an all-new way to kill your dwarves! The usage of time!
Note- Time may or may not be wibbly or wobbly. If time wibbles or wobbles for more than 8 hours, please see your Doctor.

Also yes. Battle-axes are natural deaths. They must be, your honor, for there could be no other way that the battle-axe flew across the Barron's chamber and struck him in the head. Perhaps it was the will of the gods sir, given his near-constant requests to construct solid-gold mini-forges. Armok does not care for such silliness, after all.
"Necromancy is sort of like Jaywalking. It's not illegal, just frowned upon."

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:03 pm »

True indeed. This game has a massive amount of orange-blue morality; hence why I truly love it.

You can choose to use burrows in creative fashion, combining them with drop-traps, to break the spirits of all migrants and children via exposure to death and decay, leaving them as hollow slaves; I like to think that the part where they don't care any more is about when they begin to rate deaths by gruesomeness.
'That's a 9-8-10 for Urist McMigrant's death, due to that wonderful quadruple-amputation on impact but holding back with that 8 because the head is still attached to the body!'

Or, you can create an idealistic commune where all dwarfs may do all jobs, happiness is imparted en masse by grand rooms, every dwarf family has a multi-room abode, death is unheard of apart from naturally, and the use of the subsequent hordes of miners and masons permits the creation of grand megaprojects.
I have done this many a time, to surprising success; so long as you disable fishing for all, as that shit takes up everyone and nothing gets done.

And the best part?
At the end of the day, after everything, you can still create a doomsday and seal your entire population in obsidian, encased in their beloved legendary dining hall.
I think it'd be amazing one day to create some kind of superfortress like FlareChannel. That one lasted over 200 in-game years, and had hundreds of Dwarves die of old age if memory serves correct.
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:02 pm »

And the best part?
I think it'd be amazing one day to create some kind of superfortress like FlareChannel. That one lasted over 200 in-game years, and had hundreds of Dwarves die of old age if memory serves correct.

I've had forts run for 50 or so. And forts with 500+ dwarves. Those are fun as heck, and when it finally goes down the tubes it's always amazing to watch. Like the downfall of civilization or something.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 22, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »

Have you... optimized a computer for DF? Or do you just play with 0.25 FPS? Even the most minimal of my forts on computers with fairly powerful individual cores tend to slow to a crawl at around 180 dwarves.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:29 pm »

The ridiculously over-the-top sadism of the DF community was one of its biggest appeals to me.
You guys warm my heart <3
Yes. But don't get too confident. That warmt could be magma injected by one of us into your chest.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #1150 on: July 23, 2014, 11:12:28 pm »

Oh right I'v been reading but haven't posted hi to the new person. . . "greetings" :D I also made my account because of this story so I could post on it.
Well enjoy your stay. . . Because your never leaving nowThats right its all a trap they got me and now their going to get you. O_O
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:24:17 pm by BadLemonsXI »
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 23, 2014, 11:20:22 pm »

Oh right I'v been reading but haven't posted hi to the new person. . . "greetings" :D I also made my account because of this story so I could post on it.
Well enjoy your stay. . .Because your never leaving nowThats right its all a trap they got me and now their going to get you. O_O
We told you not to talk... You were doing so well... But you had to warn newcomers, did you? Oh, well. GUYS! TAKE THIS ONE TO THE TORTURE ROOM AGAIN!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 23, 2014, 11:23:37 pm »

Well enjoy your stay. . .Because your never leaving nowThats right its all a trap they got me and now their going to get you. O_O
We told you not to talk... You were doing so well... But you had to warn newcomers, did you? Oh, well. GUYS! TAKE THIS ONE TO THE TORTURE ROOM AGAIN!
Oh, man...
But the last time that happened...

Well, see for yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Take a closer look at this text!

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 24, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »

I have been really enjoying this story so far, so... PTW.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 24, 2014, 01:19:27 pm »

Greetings. I know why you have come.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 348